Dress code strictness 2022

Couldn't agree more.  Long evening dresses, especially the fitted ones with strappy or sleeveless tops do no favours to those of us past our prime!  I'm happier in a slimming pair of black trousers and a pretty sparkly top.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, lincslady said:

I think it is good that formal is not quite so formal any more, and it is actually easier for women, who can wear things like smart/velvet/silky trousers with somewhat fancy tops.  I admit that the idea of a hooded sweatshirt does not sound right even for casual, to me as a rather aged person.  Polo shirts and chinos, certainly.  Am I being over fussy?  And  most men will sling a jacket on now and again if necessary.

I agree, and I'm the topic starter.

I'm actually a fan of formal nights, and on my 8 previous cruises I've no problem dressing up, but I think Iona has got it right, just the 1 a week sounds great.

However, I don't want to go and buy more clothes for just 7 days on this particular cruise, hence why I asked.

• Thanks 1

I don't wish to offend anyone. My opinion is purely what myself and wife prefer. We started cruising back in 2002 and I hired a dress suit just in case we didn't like cruising. Which we obviously did as the next one will be our 17th cruise. Sadly due to the pandemic our last one was 2018 as every time  we booked another cruise it was either cancelled or itinerary changed so that we cancelled. So with regards to Formal Evenings we are fans. Why ? Because it is one of the few chances we get to dress up. Not saying we don't dress smartly sometimes. Just not in a formal sense. I have long held the opinion that P&O would like to do away with Formals as their questionnaire , in my opinion, has as with set dining ( Club) been phrased as such to steer passengers away from this dress code and type of dining. I have absolutely nothing against those that want their holiday more casual and do agree to a certain extent that flag waving, singing Rule Britannia and dressing like a penguin in 2022 is a bit "Old Hat" But it's still nice to see Ladies and Gentlemen looking smart and you can always whip the old Dickie off and undo the top couple of buttons on your shirt as soon as you leave the restaurant.

• Like 8

Sorry, 84k - I thought you were the person who suggested a hooded sweatshirt, and I have to admit to thinking that would be completely unsuitable for the evening, even a casual one!

I didn't post before, as I felt I was perhaps being a bit rude to mention it.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

You can still dress up if you wish, it’s your choice,  I think smart casual is the only dress code needed, no need to segregate people from eating locations based on the way you are dressed. 

My son is looking to go on a cruise next year, he has already excluded Cunard & P&O, in his words they are for older people who yearn for the good old days, he is in his early 30s. 

Believe me the good old days were better. In the 50's, 60's you could safely ride a bike, go for a walk and work a few hours on a farm for pocket money. Listen to Radio Caroline and London and have a kick about with your mates. Food was more wholesome then. Bread didn't go mouldy in a couple of days and cheese had a rind. Bottles were taken back to the pub for re-use whilst giving you a couple of pennies in exchange. You talked with the neighbours and your street wasn't polluted by a stream of cars going past. Veg and salad stuff was grown by my Grandfather on his allotment and watercress from a local stream. We went on holiday to Felixstowe for a week and I regarded it as a treat to have Shredded Wheat for breakfast. Easter eggs were for Easter and Christmas didn't start in August. I never expected anything from my parents and never once asked them for money. I was adopted and felt privileged to have them as my parents. My Mum died aged only 50 years of age. Dad passed away at the age of 86 back in 2009. Would I want to be born now. Your damned right I wouldn't.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, lincslady said:

I think it is good that formal is not quite so formal any more, and it is actually easier for women, who can wear things like smart/velvet/silky trousers with somewhat fancy tops.  I admit that the idea of a hooded sweatshirt does not sound right even for casual, to me as a rather aged person.  Polo shirts and chinos, certainly.  Am I being over fussy?  And  most men will sling a jacket on now and again if necessary.

It certainly is easier for women. Men are expected to wear a dinner or lounge suit with tie. The female equivalents are surely evening gowns or coctail dresses. But women will be admitted to the MDRs and other restricted areas wearing a "pair of slacks and a nice top" - men so attired would not get further than the door! Sauce for the goose should be sauce for the gander. (Puts on tin hat)

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Denarius said:

It certainly is easier for women. Men are expected to wear a dinner or lounge suit with tie. The female equivalents are surely evening gowns or coctail dresses. But women will be admitted to the MDRs and other restricted areas wearing a "pair of slacks and a nice top" - men so attired would not get further than the door! Sauce for the goose should be sauce for the gander. (Puts on tin hat)

Absolutely agree - and women can wear whatever colour they want, yet men are supposed to stick to black - why?

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Denarius said:

I agree entirely.

I have said on here before that the gents tend to be better dresssed than some of the ladies (and got brick bats for it). Yes if a dinner or lounge suit is expected then a proper gown, cocktail dress or proper evening trouser wear is the equivalent for ladies. 

I tend to wear long dresses (as it hides the fact that I don’t wear tights).

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Spike11 said:

Absolutely agree - and women can wear whatever colour they want, yet men are supposed to stick to black - why?

My husband doesn’t always wear black. You can wear what colour you like as long as it is formal attire. Go for it.

We were on a RCI ship with a large group of gents who had some absolutely amazing, colourful formal clothes. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Spike11 said:

I wear a white tuxedo and black shirt with white bow tie . Smart or what ? 

But you have to  be careful on the red wine front!

• Like 2

Just now, wowzz said:

I wear a white tuxedo and black shirt with white bow tie . Smart or what ? 

But you have to  be careful on the red wine front!

I recently considered buying a bright mid blue suit - it looked really nice - but in the end I thought it would not be acceptable for the formal nights - perhaps I should have bought a blue dress instead!

Just now, Spike11 said:

I recently considered buying a bright mid blue suit - it looked really nice - but in the end I thought it would not be acceptable for the formal nights - perhaps I should have bought a blue dress instead!

Do you have the legs for a dress? 😀

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Cruisemeister2002 said:

Believe me the good old days were better. In the 50's, 60's you could safely ride a bike, go for a walk and work a few hours on a farm for pocket money. Listen to Radio Caroline and London and have a kick about with your mates. Food was more wholesome then. Bread didn't go mouldy in a couple of days and cheese had a rind. Bottles were taken back to the pub for re-use whilst giving you a couple of pennies in exchange. You talked with the neighbours and your street wasn't polluted by a stream of cars going past. Veg and salad stuff was grown by my Grandfather on his allotment and watercress from a local stream. We went on holiday to Felixstowe for a week and I regarded it as a treat to have Shredded Wheat for breakfast. Easter eggs were for Easter and Christmas didn't start in August. I never expected anything from my parents and never once asked them for money. I was adopted and felt privileged to have them as my parents. My Mum died aged only 50 years of age. Dad passed away at the age of 86 back in 2009. Would I want to be born now. Your damned right I wouldn't.

Nice post.  Though bean picking in Grundisburgh as a fifteen year old schoolboy with no money was damned hard work!  The job as a waiter at the Regal in Felixstowe (still a student) wasn’t much better paid, but a lot more fun!

You still have a lovely county there though - with a great coastline.  Didn’t go to Northgate, did you?

3 hours ago, Denarius said:

☝️

Entirely agree.

I'm not young,do not like having to get dressed up to dine,over the years my idea of dining heaven was wearing shorts & t shirt in a bar with a decent juke box,I really don't care what the others around me are wearing but I know from past experience on these forums that there are those who like to dress up & are not tolerant of anybody else with a different opinion so I don't see any middle ground on this issue being found any time soon!

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Denarius said:

I actually don’t think it’s easier, but I understand the point you’re making. Evening gowns and cocktail dresses for women are so removed from everyday wear, but suits for the gents just mean another pair of trousers, another form of shirt and a jacket. No bothering with tights, constricting undergarments etc. Nobody looks twice at a 70 year old man with a 45 inch waist, shirt tucked into his trousers and his belt under his stomach!! It’s a different story for women who have gained weight or lost their shape - they can look plain silly stuffed into a tight dress or skirt. That’s why a pair of ‘slacks’ (haven’t seen that word used for decades!) and a very nice top is a better option for many, me included. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ardennais said:

That’s why a pair of ‘slacks’ (haven’t seen that word used for decades!) and a very nice top is a better option for many, me included. 

Me too.  Myself, and many others of a certain age, I suspect, would not be suited to a ball gown or, for myself, in a dress.   BUT those ladies can look spectacular in evening trousers and flowy tops.  Personally I wear extra makeup, and some nice jewellery and flowy tops... never felt underdressed on any ship on formal night.

• Like 3