Federal government to end pre-arrival COVID testing for travellers entering Canada

koolforkatz

50 minutes ago, ehogan said:

Read this a minute ago:

WHAT ARE THE RULES?

On Wednesday, CTV News learned that Canada was planning to lift its pre-arrival COVID-19 testing requirement for fully vaccinated travellers as of April 1 at all points of entry, including sea. An official announcement from the federal government is expected Thursday.

Where in this article does it say all points of entry, including sea?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Froufie said:

This is great news as we are flying home April 1st!  (anyone want a couple boxes of Switch antigen tests - going cheap!  LOL)

How much?  Matter of fact and sorry to say this, but things could change again and therefore, I suggest you hold on to them just in case

Edited by DHP1
  • Like 3

This is one less thing to worry about, and I too am glad that I didn't order an on ship antigen test or try to arrange one in Fort Lauderdale for my cruise which ends on Apr. 8. I was fretting about not getting results until flight time. The test that we have to take prior to boarding the plane and the ship is not a problem. This is a good news story for Canadian travellers. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, DHP1 said:

How much?  Matter of fact and sorry to say this, but things could change again and therefore, I suggest you hold on to them just in case

I have a few test kits which I will take on my cruise text month just in case.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ehogan said:

Read this a minute ago:

WHAT ARE THE RULES?

On Wednesday, CTV News learned that Canada was planning to lift its pre-arrival COVID-19 testing requirement for fully vaccinated travellers as of April 1 at all points of entry, including sea. An official announcement from the federal government is expected Thursday.

Saw this on CTV today. All points of entry 

10 hours ago, DHP1 said:

That the way I see it also. Don’t make sense however.  We did the same. Cancel our FLL and replaced it with an Alaska cruise just to avoid all the testing requirements and secondly, if I do need to be quarantine, I would rather be in Canada doing it. 

Bebe08 - Ironically we just cancelled a cruise out of FLL and replaced it with an Alaskan cruise out of Vancouver.  

I'm also doing an Alaskan cruise out of Vancouver on May 28th.  Are either of you doing the 14 night Princess cruise on the "Royal" ship?  

Frances (NWT Cruiser)

1 minute ago, bobpell said:

Not having to fill out the ArrCan app would be nice too!!

Bob

I’m good with it, as it shows proof of vaccination. It would be a lot quicker process versus the alternative of everyone having to show paper proof of vaccination at customs.  I could only imagine that line up in my nightmares. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, tottenhamfc said:

I would say if testing is taking place on embankment then there is less risk than thousands coming into an airport with no testing whatsoever. Also if all persons coming in are vaxxed, what difference does it make? I have more concern with Canadians that are not vaxxed causing spreading.

Exactly. It would make no sense to have thousands of untested people circulating in an airport like Pearson and then claim cruise ships need special treatment. Wouldn't surprise me though. Cruise ships have a black eye because of things like the Diamond Princess covid breakout but in fairness, that was the early days of Covid and there were plenty more deadly outbreaks on land. Same with Norovirus. I find that the haters really gotta hate when it comes to cruise ships.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nbsjcruiser said:

Exactly. It would make no sense to have thousands of untested people circulating in an airport like Pearson and then claim cruise ships need special treatment. Wouldn't surprise me though. Cruise ships have a black eye because of things like the Diamond Princess covid breakout but in fairness, that was the early days of Covid and there were plenty more deadly outbreaks on land. Same with Norovirus. I find that the haters really gotta hate when it comes to cruise ships.

I've been on 2 cruises very recently and another booked for April. When we left on January 29th Pearson was like a ghost town. Same on the Edge ship there were 670 onboard and at times felt like our own private ship. I expect it will be busier mid April. Glad to be rid of antigen testing and going to a pharmacy on my last day in Honolulu when I'd rather be on a beach sipping a Mai Tai.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

I've been on 2 cruises very recently and another booked for April. When we left on January 29th Pearson was like a ghost town. Same on the Edge ship there were 670 onboard and at times felt like our own private ship. I expect it will be busier mid April. Glad to be rid of antigen testing and going to a pharmacy on my last day in Honolulu when I'd rather be on a beach sipping a Mai Tai.

When we flew back through Pearson in the fall, it was a real mess and all because of the Government's forced testing measures. People crammed in like sardines, waiting for PCR tests even though each and every one of them had just had a PCR test or they wouldn't have been flying in the first place. I was thoroughly disgusted by what I ran into and told my MP so. I was unable to take photos in customs area but it was disgusting. The pictures I was able to take show people lined up with not one person enforcing social distancing or ensuring people kept their masks on - many didn't. AFAIC, the Federal government's policy only resulted in creating mass super spreader events and costing the travellers and taxpayers of the country millions. It accomplished nothing positive. 

The pictures I've included with this post is the lineup of people waiting for a PCR test and as I noted above, every one of them had a molecular test within 3 days of flying or they wouldn't have been there in the first place.

pearson1.JPG

pearson2.JPG

Edited by nbsjcruiser

8 minutes ago, nbsjcruiser said:

When we flew back through Pearson in the fall, it was a real mess and all because of the Government's forced testing measures. People crammed in like sardines, waiting for PCR tests even though each and every one of them had just had a PCR test or they wouldn't have been flying in the first place. I was thoroughly disgusted by what I ran into and told my MP so. I was unable to take photos in customs area but it was disgusting. The pictures I was able to take show people lined up with not one person enforcing social distancing or ensuring people kept their masks on - many didn't. AFAIC, the Federal government's policy only resulted in creating mass super spreader events and costing the travellers and taxpayers of the country millions. It accomplished nothing positive. 

pearson1.JPG

pearson2.JPG

It is time to allow people to take their own precautions. If you are triple vaxxed you are mostly protected. If you are not, you cant fly, you cant cruise. Start worrying about ourselves for a change. You cannot protect those who dont care. Ones who cannot take vaccines need to be extra cautious.

Edited by tottenhamfc
  • Like 4

33 minutes ago, tottenhamfc said:

It is time to allow people to take their own precautions. If you are triple vaxxed you are mostly protected. If you are not, you cant fly, you cant cruise. Start worrying about ourselves for a change. You cannot protect those who dont care. Ones who cannot take vaccines need to be extra cautious.

Even with 3 & 4 shots, there are many people still at higher risk. It is wishful thinking that we only need to be vaccinated to be worry free. And certainly selfish thinking that we needn't give a thought to protecting others.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, broberts said:

Even with 3 & 4 shots, there are many people still at higher risk. It is wishful thinking that we only need to be vaccinated to be worry free. And certainly selfish thinking that we needn't give a thought to protecting others.

Two years of prodding and protecting is ample. If they havent got the message by now then why penalize all of society. What more do you want society to so for the ones who dont care to look after themselves? You call it selfish, I call it pragmatic. If you are talking about the few that cannot benefit from the vaccines or cannot take them, then yes those deserve some extra TLC. The rest, sorry its your own responsibility. Just recently in a thread a lady with lupus wanted personalized benefits on board to protect herself. Sorry I am not travelling in a pandemic with lupus. That is just common sense.

Edited by tottenhamfc
  • Like 4

We fly into Southampton on September for a British Isles cruise.  At the moment there are no existing Covid protocols in the UK.  No need to test to enter, just full vaccination proof.   Coming back to Canada there is now no need to test for re-entry.  My only question is will Princess need a test to board the ship?  Since all the ports are without restrictions and we can come and go as we please, testing would seem unnecessary.  Thoughts?

1 hour ago, tottenhamfc said:

53 minutes ago, broberts said:

I didn't read @tottenhamfc post as being selfish, but rather realistic. There are people with serious health issues that will have to be careful and take extra precautions. We should expect the world to accommodate them but not at the price of limiting the lives of otherwise healthy people. For those who don't want to get vaccines because "muh freedoms", well, its your bed, you made it, you can sleep in it but we shouldn't expect the world to accommodate them in any way.

And yes, you're right, the vaccine is no guarantee but their efficacy is near 90% and will keep an otherwise healthy person out of the hospital and morgue. The time to get on with living with this thing is here. I have a friend who has decided he will not travel or even go to a restaurant until "this thing passes". That's his choice and I respect it and he's pretty much committed to living as a hermit but he's not asking the rest of the world to do the same. I think this is what @tottenhamfcis getting at. My friend has made his choice, the rest of us can make our own decisions at this point based on our particular position. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, nbsjcruiser said:

I didn't read @tottenhamfc post as being selfish, but rather realistic. There are people with serious health issues that will have to be careful and take extra precautions. We should expect the world to accommodate them but not at the price of limiting the lives of otherwise healthy people. For those who don't want to get vaccines because "muh freedoms", well, its your bed, you made it, you can sleep in it but we shouldn't expect the world to accommodate them in any way.

And yes, you're right, the vaccine is no guarantee but their efficacy is near 90% and will keep an otherwise healthy person out of the hospital and morgue. The time to get on with living with this thing is here. I have a friend who has decided he will not travel or even go to a restaurant until "this thing passes". That's his choice and I respect it and he's pretty much committed to living as a hermit but he's not asking the rest of the world to do the same. I think this is what @tottenhamfcis getting at. My friend has made his choice, the rest of us can make our own decisions at this point based on our particular position. 

Thank you. You articulated it better than i.

• Like 1

Just announced - an antigen test will still be required for passengers embarking a cruise in Canada, done within one day of embarkation.  Pre arrival testing if disembarking in Canada will not be required.  All other cruising requirements remain the same as in last announcement.

As per the press conference this morning by GOC they advised of course the expected removal of the pre-entry testing for fully vaxxed into Canada. Random testing still applicable without quarantine. ArriveCan still required.

Minister specifically touched on Cruise Ship Passengers (out of Canada) needing to test 1 day prior to boarding the cruise, however they are NO LONGER required to test after debarkation. 

Great news!!!

13 minutes ago, Liverpoolfan181 said:

As per the press conference this morning by GOC they advised of course the expected removal of the pre-entry testing for fully vaxxed into Canada. Random testing still applicable without quarantine. ArriveCan still required.

Minister specifically touched on Cruise Ship Passengers (out of Canada) needing to test 1 day prior to boarding the cruise, however they are NO LONGER required to test after debarkation. 

Great news!!!

So is a port stop in Canada before disembarkation ok? Or is a port stop considered disembarkation.

8 minutes ago, tottenhamfc said:

So is a port stop in Canada before disembarkation ok? Or is a port stop considered disembarkation.

- Rapid test needed 1 day before cruise leaving out of Canada

- No testing required for getting off ship at end of cruise back in Canada

This refers to cruises departing out Canada. If Canada is just a port of call, but cruise is sailing out of US, they did not touch on that specifically, but I imagine standard cruise policies apply per CDC and RCCL. You would have tested prior to getting on the ship anyways. I'm sure the language will be fine-tuned by RCCL.