Testing Requirement for Boarding Ship in Vancouver

GlennG

On 3/23/2022 at 11:04 AM, bigAWL said:

And it sounds like Disney may soon be moving to antigen testing as well.

confirmed is that they have switched to antigen this week from Port Canaveral and people are commenting that now Miami is showing antigen on safe travels.. We are waiting for reports from San Diego departure soon. We hope if the antigen move continues west and up to Vancouver.

22 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

image.png.23c52414f852dde8498765e34d910567.png

I wonder if the approval of the second booster will change the definition of up-to-dare?  I think the difference is that the fourth shot has been approved but not necessarily recommended.

37 minutes ago, Babr said:

I wonder if the approval of the second booster will change the definition of up-to-dare?  I think the difference is that the fourth shot has been approved but not necessarily recommended.

I think that "when eligible" is pretty clear and doesn't need to be changed. You are either eligible for a second booster or you aren't. Health Canada approvals are made in stages - by age group, for example - and  I'm not aware of them ever approving a vaccine but not recommending its use. Maybe I've misunderstood your comment.

3 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

I think that "when eligible" is pretty clear and doesn't need to be changed. You are either eligible for a second booster or you aren't. Health Canada approvals are made in stages - by age group, for example - and  I'm not aware of them ever approving a vaccine but not recommending its use. Maybe I've misunderstood your comment.

It was a distinction made in a news report I heard. The implication was that the vaccine would be made available for those who wanted it but that there would not necessarily be a formal recommendation from CDC for people over 50 to take it. It seemed rather tentative as if there is not complete agreement that it is needed, especially for younger people.

The announcement of approval came just this morning in the US. Perhaps there is another statement coming with more definitive information.

1 minute ago, Babr said:

It was a distinction made in a news report I heard. The implication was that the vaccine would be made available for those who wanted it but that there would not necessarily be a formal recommendation from CDC for people over 50 to take it. It seemed rather tentative as if there is not complete agreement that it is needed, especially for younger people.

The announcement of approval came just this morning in the US. Perhaps there is another statement coming with more definitive information.

Sorry, I didn't realize that you were talking about the US. That said, 1st booster shots aren't mandated in the US, but some cruiselines have made boosters a requirement if the passenger is eligible. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Sorry, I didn't realize that you were talking about the US. That said, 1st booster shots aren't mandated in the US, but some cruiselines have made boosters a requirement if the passenger is eligible. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. 

I know from the Princess FAQ and in accordance with CDC directives there is a little more leeway for passengers who are fully vaccinated and also have had a booster at least 7 days before boarding a ship in the US. You can have either the Rapid Antigen or PCR test within 3 days of boarding. This might help those folks who are flying in from Canada a day or 2 early. They can get the test done in Canada without scrambling around to find a test site in the US. 

No such bonus or relaxation for cruises out of Canada yet - still within 1 day of boarding  for Rapid Antigen test. 

Edited by redtop101

Empower Clinics will operate a very expensive testing clinic out of the Fairmont Waterfront Hotel in Vancouver. I sent them an email last week. They finally answered. If you look at the link to their clinic below, Empower says within 48 hours for a Rapid Antigen Test. Royal Caribbean says we need a Rapid Antigen Test no more than 2 days prior to sailing. HAL says 1 day. The rule I read from the Government of Canada website says we need a Rapid Antigen Test within 1 day of the scheduled departure. What am I missing?

WHAT TEST IS REQUIRED TO BOARD A CRUISE SHIP OUT OF VANCOUVER AND WHEN DO I NEED TO TAKE IT?”

Transport Canada requires all cruise guests to take an antigen test within 48 hours prior to embarkation or a PCR test 72 hours prior to embarkation.

Hi Xxxxxx,

We apologize for the delayed reply.  The appointment calendar is set to be on our webpage next week so please check back.  The cost of the various testing options is posted on our webpage under FAQs.  Here is a link to our webpage: COVID-19 TESTING | Empower Clinics

Best regards,

Empower Customer Service Team

1 hour ago, Munday said:

Empower Clinics will operate a very expensive testing clinic out of the Fairmont Waterfront Hotel in Vancouver. I sent them an email last week. They finally answered. If you look at the link to their clinic below, Empower says within 48 hours for a Rapid Antigen Test. Royal Caribbean says we need a Rapid Antigen Test no more than 2 days prior to sailing. HAL says 1 day. The rule I read from the Government of Canada website says we need a Rapid Antigen Test within 1 day of the scheduled departure. What am I missing?

WHAT TEST IS REQUIRED TO BOARD A CRUISE SHIP OUT OF VANCOUVER AND WHEN DO I NEED TO TAKE IT?”

Transport Canada requires all cruise guests to take an antigen test within 48 hours prior to embarkation or a PCR test 72 hours prior to embarkation.

Hi Xxxxxx,

We apologize for the delayed reply.  The appointment calendar is set to be on our webpage next week so please check back.  The cost of the various testing options is posted on our webpage under FAQs.  Here is a link to our webpage: COVID-19 TESTING | Empower Clinics

Best regards,

I did not see that they would operate an 'expensive' clinic.  Perhaps you've decided that on your own?  I suppose you could forego the convenience of testing at the hotel and take taxis and/or buses around town to save money.

Government of Canada web pages say antigen test within one day of departure. Until those pages change or are supplanted I would ignore any other source for cruises departing from a Canadian port.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/domestic-travel

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise

https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-canada/news/2022/03/preventing-or-limiting-the-spread-of-covid-19-on-cruise-ships.html

2 hours ago, d9704011 said:

I did not see that they would operate an 'expensive' clinic.  Perhaps you've decided that on your own?  I suppose you could forego the convenience of testing at the hotel and take taxis and/or buses around town to save money.

$130 CAD for a Rapid Antigen Test seems expensive to me.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, broberts said:

Government of Canada web pages say antigen test within one day of departure. Until those pages change or are supplanted I would ignore any other source for cruises departing from a Canadian port.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/domestic-travel

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise

https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-canada/news/2022/03/preventing-or-limiting-the-spread-of-covid-19-on-cruise-ships.html

I agree. I just hope those passengers that see a 2 day requirement don’t end up with a denied boarding / rush to get a last minute test situation.

4 hours ago, Munday said:

Hi Xxxxxx,

Best regards,

Thanks for the information about a calendar in the works. Where did you find the cost of $130/test? Yes, considering it is $40 at Shoppers in Ontario, that is expensive. It is more in line with the cost of PCR tests here in Ontario ($150)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dismomx5 said:

Thanks for the information about a calendar in the works. Where did you find the cost of $130/test? Yes, considering it is $40 at Shoppers in Ontario, that is expensive. It is more in line with the cost of PCR tests here in Ontario ($150)

BC does not have cheap covid testing for travel.  Shoppers, Walmart or Costco do not do testing like they do in Ontario or Alberta.

1 hour ago, stefndoug said:

BC does not have cheap covid testing for travel.  Shoppers, Walmart or Costco do not do testing like they do in Ontario or Alberta.

What about Switch Health in Richmond? $39 for a Rapid Antigen Test if you are an Aeroplan member.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

What about Switch Health in Richmond? $39 for a Rapid Antigen Test if you are an Aeroplan member.

They are closed Saturdays and Sundays at the Richmond Clinic.  And Richmond is some distance from downtown Vancouver where the cruise port is.  It is certainly another, more reasonably priced test though, if you have the time to go to their clinic and don't need the test on a Saturday or Sunday.

It is really too bad that Shopper's Drugs or London Drugs don't offer the Covid antigen test for $40 as they do in Alberta or Ontario.  Not sure why they have decided not to offer it in BC.

Edited by Cruise Starter