2 days in Anchorage?

Kitty Ellas Mom

What do you recommend for someone with 2 full days in Anchorage prior to a 7 day cruise to Vancouver?  It's the 2nd week of June.  I originally was to start in Vancouver and end in Anchorage, so my priorities have changed.  I will have a terrible full day of flying to get there and will have jet lag of 4 hrs.  I expect to feel awful when I arrive.  But, I want to have some uniquely Anchorage experiences.  I am not very physically fit but can walk and do most basic things.  I am currently booked at the Alyeska resort but if my first choice of the Captain Cook comes available I might switch;  or, I might switch to another hotel actually in Anchorage.  I"m not sure b/c this rebooking happened very suddenly when I had to change the week of my cruise.  Thanks for any suggestions.  i"m leaning towards not actually booking anything the 1st day and just exploring Alyeska and then doing a big tour the 2nd day.  The next day after that I will have to get to Whittier to board the cruise.  For the cruise itself I'm leaning towards excursions that would show me totem poles, the Skagway train, and the sled dog puppies probably with the plane.  Thank you.

We have two days at the end of our trip. We plan on taking the trolley (https://anchoragetrolley.com) and going out to the Heritage Center (https://www.alaskanative.net) - I read that they may have a pickup in town. Have been before and found it to be very impressive and eductional. May also stop at the Ulu knife factory (https://theulufactory.com). 

11 hours ago, Kitty Ellas Mom said:

I am currently booked at the Alyeska resort but if my first choice of the Captain Cook comes available I might switch;  or, I might switch to another hotel actually in Anchorage.

I have not stayed at the Alyeska resort, but have experience with staying in Anchorage.  The resort is not in Anchorage, I hope you understand.  Captain Cook Hotel is an Anchorage city hotel.  

Everyone reacts and adjusts to potential jet lag differently, but, I have been most successful in getting "out and about" as soon as possible after arriving at a distant destination by air.  

In Anchorage, the Heritage Center is worth a visit, but, transportation is needed to get there unless there is a city bus that goes to the site.  The Alaska Aviation Museum located near the airport was interesting to me.  Visiting Earthquake Park as well as the 49th State Monument along with walking on some of the trails might be of interest to you.  There is a unique Visitor's Center in downtown Anchorage that will have brochures and helpful citizens with suggestions.  There are private tour companies that offer tours of the city/area.  My Alaskan citizen Nephew has worked with one and they do a very good job for their clients.  

Yes, I know that Alyeska resort is in Girdwood.  I'm still on the fence about whether I want to be there or in Anchorage proper.  I really wanted the Captain Cook but when I had to switch trip dates it was already sold out for my dates.  I like the idea of being at a ski resort and, because I will probably never actually ski, this seemed like an ideal time.  I like the grounds and the tram and the "resort" of it all.  Overall I wanted a "fancy " hotel.  If you have other ideas please let me know.  Thanks!

1 hour ago, Kitty Ellas Mom said:

.......  I like the grounds and the tram and the "resort" of it all.  Overall I wanted a "fancy " hotel.  If you have other ideas please let me know.  Thanks!

I have actually stayed at the Captain Cook and also at the Alyeska Resort.  It has been some time since I stayed at the Captain Cook but we do dine there when in Anchorage.  While the lobby and restaurants have a very "heavy" maritime feel, the Captain Cook hotel rooms themselves are rather bland.  There is no landscaping to speak of at all.  It is a city hotel.

In contrast the Alyeska Resort rooms are more interesting and not as bland in decor.  The landscaping on the grounds is lovely.  It is a "fancy" hotel.  Unless there is some specific attraction drawing you to Anchorage you will be very satisfied with the Alyeska Resort.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

While the lobby and restaurants have a very "heavy" maritime feel,

This is the way I felt about the Captain Cook.  Dark, "heavy", OK for a brief stay, but nothing more.  But, my Nephew and his new wife spent their wedding night there and they loved it.  

2 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

In contrast the Alyeska Resort rooms are more interesting and not as bland in decor.  The landscaping on the grounds is lovely.  It is a "fancy" hotel.

From what I could see when I visited the Resort, it is not "fancy" in the terms of the lower 48 States definition of a "fancy resort".  It would be a perfectly suitable Alaska "fancy" resort, I think.  

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

From what I could see when I visited the Resort, it is not "fancy" in the terms of the lower 48 States definition of a "fancy resort".  It would be a perfectly suitable Alaska "fancy" resort, I think.  

Have you actually stayed there?  The Alyeska Resort rooms we have booked are much nicer than I remember from the Captain Cook.  And I mean much nicer.

I am kind of worried that I've read reviews about most of the Alyeska restaurants being closed recently, but I figured I'd just call them when it gets close to my trip and see what's open then.  I know that like most places in Alaska they suffered from staff shortage last summer.

I stayed at both the Hotel Captain Cook and the Alyeska Resort last summer (June 2021) and much preferred the Alyeska Resort.  As noted above, the Cook is just a city hotel.

We had a rental car so were able to drive directly to the resort for a two night stay.  The grounds are lovely and you have access to a number of hiking trails.  Great places to hang out throughout the resort.  Taking the tram was enjoyable as well.  We took a Spencer Glacier and Kayak excursion on the Alaskan Railroad —hopped on the train at Girdwood and then were driven back to the resort.  There is also a rafting option to that tour if you don’t want to kayak.  We had drinks with a 70+ old couple who really enjoyed riding the train and then floating down the river.

We ate only breakfast at the resort.  We walked to “downtown” Girdwood and enjoyed a number of restaurants (Jack Sprat, Spoonline Bistro, the Bake Shop).

If you do decide to stay at the Captain Cook, I would recommend that you check out Salmon Berry Tours.  We have used them a number of times for day tours out of Anchorage when we didn’t have a rental car (Matanuska Glacier Trek, Independence Mine Tour, etc).  There are a number of great places to eat within walking distance.  We ate a couple of times at the Glacier Brewhouse.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

Have you actually stayed there?  The Alyeska Resort rooms we have booked are much nicer than I remember from the Captain Cook.  And I mean much nicer.

No.  My impression was visiting their lobby and the grounds of the hotel.

4 hours ago, disneyochem said:

We ate a couple of times at the Glacier Brewhouse.

An excellent restaurant where I have dined several times.

4 hours ago, disneyochem said:

I would recommend that you check out Salmon Berry Tours.  

The Company has a very good reputation.  They hire local citizens for guides (my Nephew has worked for them) as tour guides.  

Forget about Captain Cook's, stick with the Alyeska Resort. You might get to see a moose! Also, on the trip between Anchorage and Girdwood, you might be able to spot a Beluga whale off to the right as you drive down to Girdwood. When you pass the old railroad snow plow to the right as you leave Anchorage, that's the time to start looking out for them.

• Thanks 1

Honestly, I'm happy with Alyeska.  When I was booked at the Captain Cook I thought about switching, I just kept thinking that it would be better to be in Anchorage proper.  But, it's only for 2 days anyway and it will all be new to me.  Thanks everyone for your responses!  I would really love to see a moose.

58 minutes ago, Kitty Ellas Mom said:

I would really love to see a moose.

The chances are very good, but you'd better have a sharp eye. One was spotted on the tram we rode to the ski area, but we missed it. We hoped we would see it on the way back down, but it had already gone. But we had rented a car and saw two while traveling up Crow Creek Road.

On 3/19/2022 at 7:49 PM, Northern Aurora said:

The Alyeska Resort rooms we have booked are much nicer than I remember from the Captain Cook.  And I mean much nicer.

I like the decor at Alyeska much more than the Cook as well. We prefer staying at the Cook when in Anchorage and just put up with the "old world funeral home" decor.

I wasn't quite sure where the OP landed but if staying in Anchorage and with moose being a priority, Kincaid Park is the place to go. We've always had better sightings there than in Girdwood.

15 hours ago, Schlepporello said:

Forget about Captain Cook's, stick with the Alyeska Resort. You might get to see a moose! Also, on the trip between Anchorage and Girdwood, you might be able to spot a Beluga whale off to the right as you drive down to Girdwood. When you pass the old railroad snow plow to the right as you leave Anchorage, that's the time to start looking out for them.

You can see moose in AK anywhere.  We saw one inn the back yard of the B&B we stayed at in Anchorage.  I also saw one walking down the middle of a major street of one the towns (I forget which one) I stayed in on one trip.

DON

Moose aren't exactly a priority, but would be nice.  The priority was to have a nice hotel with beautiful surroundings.  I know I will need some serious rest when I get to the hotel so I won't cram tons of activities into my 2 days in Anchorage.  I am thinking about something very easy for the first day, perhaps without an advance reservation for flexibility.  Then the 2nd day I was thinking maybe of a tour, perhaps with Salmon Berry b/c I've heard such good things about them.  I will see plenty of glaciers on my cruise so I am not prioritizing them.  I am definitely interested in the Wildlife Conservation Center.  And I want to spend some time just walking around Anchorage seeing stuff, possibly shopping.

6 hours ago, Kitty Ellas Mom said:

Moose

An Alaskan's experience with Moose:  My Nephew's family arose one morning with a family of Moose taking residence in their yard between their home and their garage.  Mama Mooses' are not fond of Homo Sapiens interfering with their plans.  They have a very large and active dog and let him out to try to chase Mama Moose away so that they could safely get to their garage.  Mama Moose chased the dog back to his home.  Their plans for the day changed.  Several hours later, Mama Moose led her family elsewhere.  Moose are interesting to view.  That's all Folks!  

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/19/2022 at 2:25 PM, rkacruiser said:

I have not stayed at the Alyeska resort, but have experience with staying in Anchorage.  The resort is not in Anchorage, I hope you understand.  Captain Cook Hotel is an Anchorage city hotel.  

Captain Cook is beautiful and right downtown.  Alyeska is a good almost hour drive outside of town.  If you do go there, though, the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center is one of the better places I've visited in Alaska.  But you'll need some sort of transportation there.  

I like to fish and you can fish for salmon on Ship Creek right downtown, but you'd need your own gear.  Otherwise, the costal trail is pretty cool.

There is a fishing tackle vendor that rents fishing tackle right at Ship Creek. Also i see moose in my nephews back yard in Eagle River. He has had 3 litters(?) of moose born in his back yard in the past. Looks like there will be more this summer as he sent me a picture of 2 moose romantically involved in his driveway this past winter. My grand children can't wait to see them as they will be up there this summer with me!  

For the cruise itself I'm leaning towards excursions that would show me totem poles

1) You don't give your itinerary, but if you are in Ketchikan you could visit Totem Bight Historic Park.  You can drive there, but there is also a public bus frtom Ketchikan which terminates at the entrance. Same stop for the return to town.. There have been several mentions of Totem Bight inCC threads and reviews (some recent) so a quick search should find them easily.  And the waterside trail is easy walking.  It is an enjoyable, easy, and inexpensive way to see totem poles and a clan house in a natural and non commercial setting..

2) As for Alyeska, we didn't stay there, but diverted from our return route to Anchorage in our rental   from Portage Glacier.  If you have a vehicle it would be a nice wee tour to Portage Glacier from Alyeska.   Without a vehicle it could be too tricky, but I do not know.

We had stopped hoping to take the Alyeska  lift, but it was closed that day due to high winds. 

Much info on Totem Bight and Portage Glacier online.

Edited by edinburgher