First Timers - River Cruise, Avalon Tulips in April

Foolrex

Greetings to all and thank you in advance for your feedback and assistance! Not only is this our first cruise, this is my first post and we leave in less than 3 weeks!

We got the last of the Panorama Suites available, 225. As I look at the deck plan, I note that this is separated from the engine room only by what is possibly a linen room and the laundry. Is this going to be a problem?

We are retired (68 & 64) but fairly active (walking 10-15,000 steps a day is not unusual). While we are originally from California, we have been living in Valencia, Spain since July 2021 and expect our Euro plugged items, etc. will all be fine. We also hope that our EU (Vodaphone) phones will work fine without a new SIM card or anything. 

Our itinerary is Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Antwerp, Ghent, Middelburg/Veere, Willemstad and back to Amsterdam. After disembarkation, we have booked another 3 nights in Amsterdam. Any recommendations for excursions while aboard or sights/restaurants/bars in Amsterdam would be helpful.

Are there any onboard activities that require sign up? If so, are there any that anyone recommends?

I haven't sailed on Avalon so I don't know the details of this particular river ship, but I can see from the deck plan that you are on the middle deck.  The engines are actually located one deck below you.  And there are fairly large spaces behind your cabin to insulate you from the engine noise.  I wouldn't worry about that.

The biggest reason for taking this cruise this early in the year is the Tulips.  So make sure you go to Keukenhof [it is probably part of your cruise itinerary, and you might want to go again during your post-cruise stay in Amsterdam to see later-blooming tulips].  This is also the once-a-decade Floriade exhibition.

For more information about Amsterdam, see the British Isles/Western Europe forum.  You should also check out the thread here on All Things Avalon.

I will leave the rest of your questions to others who know Avalon better.  But it looks like a great trip!

• Like 1

Hi, you don't say which ship you are on, but guessing you are on the Tranquility.  I see the linen closet is closer to your room, so hopefully you will be ok.  We sailed on the Impression, and to tell the truth, never even heard the people walking down the corridor or in the rooms next to ours.  You won't be in your cabin much except for sleeping, so I wouldn't worry much about it.

Amsterdam is full of museums, and lots of other stuff to see, as well as just being a great place to wander. We took a day to go up to Enkhuizen to see the Zuiderzeemuseum, we enjoyed that. 

As for excursions, I would definitely go to Bruges, I've heard it's quite the place to go to. 

Your phone should work, we bought a Vondafone card (pre-pay) for our phone and it worked fine for our Rhine cruise, but you should double check with your provider if it's important.

• Like 1

We took a slightly different route on Avalon in the spring pre COVID and loved it. I second the suggestions for Keukenhoff and Bruges. Neither should be missed. If they offer an early morning excursion to the flower auction at Aalsmeer I would highly recommend that as well..it was fascinating. 
if your Amsterdam schedule permits I would suggest a nice day trip to Haarlem. It’s just a 30 minute train hop from Amsterdam Centraal. In fact we much prefer staying in Haarlem than in Amsterdam. Much more charming and quaint. The day trip to the Zuiderzee Museum that was suggested above is also an excellent choice. 

• Like 1

Since you have the time in Amsterdam, and the tour of Keukenhof is from Rotterdam, I would find out details about the cruise before dinner.  A full day at Keukenhof is no trouble, even my DH said he could use more than just the afternoon there.  So maybe do Keukenhof on your own as one day in Amsterdam, and tour Rotterdam and take the cruise.  If you were to do the full day at Keukenhof, you may not get back in time for the cruise, and the time to travel there and back may cut into your time at Keukenhof.

It looks like you do go to the Flower Auction early, as you get to enjoy breakfast after!  

It would be nice if you could come in here after and give us your views of the cruise...and pictures!  

• Like 1

I am so pleased that your first post on cruise critic has been so helpful! I love CC and can spend endless hours pre-cruise perusing posts on various topics. It has been especially helpful during these covid-times when everything is so tricky.

welcome, and enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1

Thanks to you all for your responses. Reassured about the cabin! Had no idea about Floriade (I had to look it up), maybe they will have some of that already up when we are at Keukenhof on April 9? Or maybe we return during one of our Amsterdam trips later. Thanks too for the links to the other forums - as a Newbie, not always easy to find these little treasures (there is so much here). We had already signed up for the Bruges excursion from Ghent, just sad that it cuts into Ghent time. We will look into the Zuiderzeemuseum, but we have so much to deal with in what is rapidly becoming very little time to plan! (But then, for some of us, planning is part of the fun. I always need to remind myself to leave plenty of unplanned time for happy surprises.)

• Like 1

If you plan to visit one or more of the major museums (Van Gogh and Rijksmuseum) in Amsterdam or the Anne Frank House, get timed tickets on-line now. Although I can’t recommend a specific restaurant (I’m sure someone here can), try a rijstafel there.

Belgium=Beer 😎. If you are so inclined, check out those two threads on this board. 

Is an architecture tour offered in Rotterdam? I was intrigued by the amount and quality of “experimental” modern architecture. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, CPT Trips said:

Is an architecture tour offered in Rotterdam? I was intrigued by the amount and quality of “experimental” modern architecture. 

From what I have read Rotterdam is not exactly pretty but rather exciting as regards architecture, as you say. As regards such structures the Delta Works I have been told are amazing. Those stretch across the Rhine Meuse Scheldt Delta, I wonder if this is something that is worth seeing and offered on the river cruise?

Foolrex, welcome to CruiseCritic and have a great time in Belgium and the Netherlands.

notamermaid

• Like 1

We took our first Avalon cruise before covid and simply loved it!  We have our second to France booked with them this May.  Know you will enjoy every moment.

A few years ago we had 3 days in Rotterdam before boarding a Baltic cruise and enjoyed our stay there.  We had a great day trip to Delft via train which is something also easy do out of Amsterdam.  Both cities were easy to navigate.

3 hours ago, notamermaid said:

\As regards such structures the Delta Works I have been told are amazing. Those stretch across the Rhine Meuse Scheldt Delta, I wonder if this is something that is worth seeing and offered on the river cruise?

This is offered on my AMA Tulip Time cruise, and we are signed up for it!

We did this cruise on the Luminary. If you do the ship's excursion to Keukenhof make sure to choose the full day instead of the half day as there is so much to see. We also did the Delta Works which is fascinating but to be honest wish we had just did the bike tour in the countryside instead. But that's just me. A really nice trip. 

• 2 weeks later...

We’ll be right behind you guys, boarding on the 15th… We are staying a couple of nights pre cruise and I hope to check out Pasta e Basta Address: Nieuwe Spiegelstraat 8, 1017 DE Amsterdam, Netherlands. My mom went here years back and really enjoyed it. The waiters sign opera during you diner. My husband and I are artists, so we’re looking forward to the museums. I’m sure you two will have a great time.