Advice on Hawaii Cruise - July (Sapphire) or December (Crown)

Itried4498

We planning to take a cruise from Los Angeles to Hawaii (our first cruise with Princess).  We’re debating between the July and Holiday cruises.  Via Princess’ website, July is an extra day, $700 cheaper (for an interior stateroom… we are simple people) and includes $300 obc.  The Holiday cruise covers all the major year-end Holidays plus a birthday.  I assume there will be plenty of holiday festivities, so the price difference isn’t of much consideration.

That said, the July cruise is billed as Princess’ first ever summer Hawaii cruise, and there’s no guarantees it’ll return in later years, as European, Asian, Oceanian, etc. markets return.  As a LA resident, I know the advantages of summer - great weather and long days; late December often brings the coldest and wettest days of the year.  I’m sure the weather will get warmer as we get closer to Hawaii, but we’ve spent many Holiday seasons in Hawaii and have seen many days rained out.  That said, I can’t figure out why the July cruise spends only 4 days in Hawaii, given it’s one day longer.  Carnival has an itinerary next January where it hits 5 ports/spends 5 days in Hawaii (the extra port being Kona) despite being one day shorter.

So, I’m pondering:

- For those who have traveled in the winter, am I over thinking the weather?

- The July trip uses the Sapphire Princess whereas Holidays uses the Crown Princess.  Does one of these ships stand out from the other? 
- is Princess still liberal in terms of bringing soda and bottled water on board? Or have they tightened up?

- for those who have done this trip before, does it sail along the Napai Coast in Kauai?     This is the #1 thing I’d like to do again in my lifetime.

- any other thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank you!

I sailed to Hawaii on the holiday cruise three years ago. The weather out of SFO the first couple days was cool, but it warmed up quickly thereafter.  We had one very brief rain shower on Kauai, but the rest of the time, the days were all perfect:  sunny and warm.  I wouldn't hesitate to go again on a holiday cruise.  And I'm very fond of the Crown.  The Sapphire is one deck smaller and I'd like to try her out sometime (hopefully in July to Hawaii!), but to me, both ships are fine choices and wouldn't be a factor in the decision. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Itried4498 said:

- is Princess still liberal in terms of bringing soda and bottled water on board? Or have they tightened up?

They have tightened up.

• Guests are also prohibited from bringing water, sodas and other non-alcoholic beverages on board that are packaged in bottles. A small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages (i.e., sparkling water, sodas, juice, milk) packaged in cans or cartons may be brought on board on embarkation day, only if carried on in Guests’ hand luggage (not in checked luggage). A small quantity is considered a maximum of 12 sealed, unopened cans/cartons of 12 ounces each or less per person.  Guests will be asked to discard open beverages in plastic containers prior to boarding.

They do offer a pre-cruise water package for bottled water for your cabin at a reasonable price. This pricing is not available on board

• Like 1

We sailed on the Star Princess out of Los Angeles/San Pedro in December 2019, the holiday cruise to Hawaii. As stated above, the first two days out of California were cold and gray. The seas were rough too. It all changed for the better as we approached the islands.  However we missed our visit to Kauai due to high winds.  The ship instead stayed in Honolulu for a second, shortened day on shore.  Several experienced cruisers told us that the Kauai tender stop is missed once in a while due to winter weather patterns.  This is anecdotal; I haven't researched the issue.

Ours was a magical cruise, with holiday decorations, Hawaiian activities (ukulele and hula lessons, three different lei making classes), leisurely times on board and fun in our three Hawaiian port stops (plus Ensenada).  One of our favorites ever and not just because we haven't since been on a cruise.  Wish we could go on the Sapphire Princess to Hawaii this summer.

We have sailed on the Crown, Ruby and Emerald (in addition to the Star, which is now with P&O Australia).  Love the size and layout of those Princess ships.  Not many differences between them.

29DECE6D-DE91-44F0-A3A5-3DD8D2E88325_1_201_a.jpeg

• Like 1

Just based purely on the ship - I would choose the Sapphire over the Crown any day!

500 less passengers (if ships are sailing full). Larger promenade deck. Covered pool.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 2

Princess doesn't sail along the Napali coast.☹️

The Hawaiian cruises are very special. Pick the one that works for you OR choose both. You won't regret either one.

BTW: it won't matter what time of year it is...as you approach HI, each day gets warmer. Even the winters in HI are very temperate. We lived in Kauai for 2+ years & our apt. didn't have a heater or AC. We missed having the AC for maybe 5 or 6 days during the summer. Didn't need the heater at all, except for first thing in the AM to take off the evening chill (our walls were solid concrete).

• Like 1

Crown has Adagio which may be a plus for some. Sapphire has one less passenger deck and has an extra-wide Promenade. The Promenade is wide enough for loungers and there is still plenty of room for the folks who are walking. I wish more ships had a Promenade like that. Sapphire also has Alfredo's which is not on Ruby. I also like to read in the Conservatory - the deck overlooking the covered pool on Sapphire. It's nice to have an "outdoor-type" of space that is actually indoors and out of the sun.

Either ship would be fine but, given my choice, I'd choose Sapphire Princess.

• Like 1

You really can’t go wrong with either one. Here are my personal pros for each based on my own experience sailing to HI in March and loving Christmas cruises on Princess. The HI sailings typically experience some rough seas, and I’m not sure if the time of year will have any bearing on just how rough they’d be. 

Pros for July:

Sapphire is beautiful and fewer pax

Likely warmer temps at sea 

Pros for December:

Holidays aboard

Not as hot in HI

Have fun deciding! I adored our HI cruise and would love to do it again! My DH, on the other hand, didn’t like the ratio of sea days to port days, so we likely won’t repeat this cruise. 

• Like 1

We have done the L.A. to Hawaii cruise several times in winter (January).  Expect cold weather and the potential of rough seas for the first 3 to 4 days, then warm weather as you approach the islands.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

A very big thank you very much to everybody for all of the great advice! 

We ended up booking the July cruise, as we're traveling with my elderly parents who are sensitive to the cold.  Unfortunately, I noticed yesterday that Princes has cancelled the cruise (and several others).  No official notification or refund (full payment was due two weeks ago) yet.  The price of the Holiday cruise has climbed considerably, and the whopping $50 FCC deposited into my Princess account (presumably for the inconvenience) doesn't cover the difference, so we'll probably opt to go some other time.

Thanks again for all the wonderful advice!