Koningsdam - Can't miss food or drink

Dreamer115

What is the one thing you have to eat when on Kdam and the one drink you love the best?  I'm a froo froo drinker and I haven't seen many of the type I prefer, like chichi's in the few menu's I've seen posted.  

I'm making a list for later this year.

Thanks 

The bartenders can make drinks that aren't on the menu as long as they have the ingredients.  I love the strawberry margaritas (on the rocks).  They are dangerously good!

Eat at Tamarind!

~Nancy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I absolutely loved sel de mer.  Tamarind used to be my favourite but it’s sliding into 3 place behind Canaletto and sel.  I used to end every cruise at the tamarind but I just had to go to sel de mer last night.  The wasabi cocktail is very good but the ran out of the lychee in the last few days and subbed peach which isn’t as good.  The pinnacle was having some service issues so I only did one dinner and that was enough.

Edited by Florida_gal_50
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Cruise Suzy said:

Any dessert from Grand Dutch Cafe, especially if you get the giant chocolate chip cookies while they're warm. Ham and cheese sandwiches from there are also on my must have list.

Although not limited to Pinnacle ships, HAL's bread pudding

These are definitely going on the list.  Thanks

I too loved Sel de Mer on the Konigsdam. So much better than the pop up version in the Pinnacle. I had good luck service wise in the Pinnacle (I eat at 5PM) but not good luck food wise - slimy shrimp in the shrimp cocktail and little to no dressing on Caesar salad.  I ate here twice and also think it is time for a menu revamp.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

For a frou frou sweeter drink, our first night sail away tradition in the Crows Nest is a Tropa-Mango-Mojito.  

Might need to bring a straw, because I think they are no longer offering them on board - ice-blended like a slurpee. Only thing missing is that cute little umbrella.  

(We are not big drinkers - but this became a fun tradition to toast the start of another wonderful adventure on a HAL ship.)

• Thanks 1

We were on NS, definitely second the fresh salads and Tamarind. We love the sake cocktails in the Tamarind bar. 

Also really enjoyed the coffee and espresso drinks in the Dutch Cafe. We found their drip coffee to be far better than the free coffee served in the MDR and buffet. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

For a frou frou sweeter drink, our first night sail away tradition in the Crows Nest is a Tropa-Mango-Mojito.  

Might need to bring a straw, because I think they are no longer offering them on board - ice-blended like a slurpee. Only thing missing is that cute little umbrella.  

(We are not big drinkers - but this became a fun tradition to toast the start of another wonderful adventure on a HAL ship.)

No need to bring a straw.  They have them.  They are made of bamboo or something.

• Thanks 3

On 3/20/2022 at 1:17 AM, Dreamer115 said:

What is the one thing you have to eat when on Kdam and the one drink you love the best?  I'm a froo froo drinker and I haven't seen many of the type I prefer, like chichi's in the few menu's I've seen posted.  

I'm making a list for later this year.

Thanks 

Checkout the MDR entree menu for "Fresh Market Seafood".  It basically is the "Fish of the Day" and probably varies from ship to ship, itinerary to itinerary and is not listed every night.  Just ask the server what it is that evening.  The best swordfish I've ever had was on the Koningsdam in October.  A couple at a nearby table were upset because they were finishing their dinner when mine arrived and they didn't know it was available.  Swordfish never was offered again during the cruise although Mahi Mahi and trout were.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

... the chicken sandwich (Back Flip) at the Dive In, the pizza or sandwiches or salads at the NY Deli and I thought their salad bar offerings in the LIdo were a notch above the usual salad bar fare.  I personally have had so-so meals at the Pinnacle Grill on all the ships I've been on, Canaletto's is pretty good but I'm not sure it's worth the extra charge over the MDR.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

Sounds interesting.  On my list.

59 minutes ago, edgeman61 said:

... the chicken sandwich (Back Flip) at the Dive In, the pizza or sandwiches or salads at the NY Deli and I thought their salad bar offerings in the LIdo were a notch above the usual salad bar fare.  I personally have had so-so meals at the Pinnacle Grill on all the ships I've been on, Canaletto's is pretty good but I'm not sure it's worth the extra charge over the MDR.

As we are going to Alaska and excursions are pricey we are hoping to not spend too much on board. The odd drink but probably no specialty dining this time around.  From what I understand the food overall on Holland is very good so looking forward to trying lots of different foods in the MDR and buffet.

• Like 1