Celebrity Air didn't put in request to airline to issue my ticket so i can't select my seat!

fstuff1

Doing a transatlantic and flying back to the US.

When i booked last week, the person said it'll take 2 days to issue the ticket then i'll be able to pick my seat.

2,3,4,5 days passed and i still couldn't select my seat.

called Celebrity Air and they put in a request to issue my ticket.

Sigh.. luckily there are still lots of aisle seats left since my flight isn't till May

Curious as to which airline you experienced this.   Might not choose them when booking in the future.

I've booked with Flights By Celebrity 9 months in advance with no payment due until final payment.     With American, United, Delta, Lufthansa and Nippon was able to select seat as soon as I had the ticket locator number on all of them.

British Airways is a different story but won't go there.

• Like 2

We had booked (EWR TO FCO & LHR TO EWR two separate cruises) with Celebrity Air weeks ago and we’re told by the airlines that we could not pick seats because the tickets were not issued. The representative from Celebrity air said that either a payment(fcc in our case) was made to cover tickets cost or final payment they don’t issue tickets. We’ll, since we have a number of fcc we made a substantial dent to the bill.

United issued seats(not our choice) that we called and choose different seating - two aisle seats, nice and cooperative. But, on British Airways I could not find the seating chart to see available seating, though the rep assured me that we had two aisle seats in row 31.

Hal

8 minutes ago, HS2BS said:

We had booked (EWR TO FCO & LHR TO EWR two separate cruises) with Celebrity Air weeks ago and we’re told by the airlines that we could not pick seats because the tickets were not issued. The representative from Celebrity air said that either a payment(fcc in our case) was made to cover tickets cost or final payment they don’t issue tickets. We’ll, since we have a number of fcc we made a substantial dent to the bill.

United issued seats(not our choice) that we called and choose different seating - two aisle seats, nice and cooperative. But, on British Airways I could not find the seating chart to see available seating, though the rep assured me that we had two aisle seats in row 31.

Hal

There's a site called SeatGuru that have seating charts for most airlines.   They also tag Good Seats and some with warnings.    I find it really handy.

• Like 7

I looked at that, but Seatguru does not give available live seating. BA is the only (that I’ve flown) airline that the vacant seating chart is not available on line to view. Hal

If it's been ticketed - depending on airline / your frequent flyer status / class of service - you still may not be able to select seats this early out.  For example  - British Airways.  If you are not in Business Class or First Class or not Gold status or higher (or OneWorld partner status) in the frequent flyer program, you won't be able to pre-select a seat until 24 hours in advance.  

• Thanks 1

Just now, ehall said:

If it's been ticketed - depending on airline / your frequent flyer status / class of service - you still may not be able to select seats this early out.  For example  - British Airways.  If you are not in Business Class or First Class or not Gold status or higher (or OneWorld partner status) in the frequent flyer program, you won't be able to pre-select a seat until 24 hours in advance.  

I’ve always been able to preselect my seats, either domestic or international 

3 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

I’ve always been able to preselect my seats, either domestic or international 

Maybe they've changed something or it also figures some fare class?  It had always been sort of a pain for me on BA when I wasn't in business class or gold status.  I'm not in UK anymore, so don't fly them much now. 

18 minutes ago, ehall said:

Maybe they've changed something or it also figures some fare class?  It had always been sort of a pain for me on BA when I wasn't in business class or gold status.  I'm not in UK anymore, so don't fly them much now. 

I don't think you are alone, CA seems to be all over the map from what others have posted.

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Curious as to which airline you experienced this.   Might not choose them when booking in the future.

I've booked with Flights By Celebrity 9 months in advance with no payment due until final payment.     With American, United, Delta, Lufthansa and Nippon was able to select seat as soon as I had the ticket locator number on all of them.

British Airways is a different story but won't go there.

I got a different story from Celebrity when I booked air with them back in 2020 (for a 2021 cruise that wound up being cancelled). Reserved Lufthansa but they said seats could not be selected until final payment was made.

29 minutes ago, HS2BS said:

The(BA) assigned us seating as soon as we gave Celebrity Air enough to cover the tickets. Our BA flight is in September, but my problem is to see available seating.

Hal

If you sign onto BA using your Avios account (if you don't have one, create one.) - go to Manage my booking.  If you can't see the flight because Celebrity booked it - you can choose "Add my booking" and put in the confirmation number.  You may have 2 different numbers - one from Celebrity and one for BA.  Try both.  Once you have that - you should be able to select your flight and see the available seats.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Celebrity and Royal Caribbean Air depts do not ticket the airline tickets until final payment typically. I just added some premium economy tickets for a transatlantic flight for a cruise and I was worried about seats because I wanted certain seats and the premium economy cabin is only 3 rows.

I called American Airlines directly and they couldn’t assign the seats since it wasn’t ticketed yet. 

I called Royal Caribbean Air2Sea (same people as Celebrity) and they were able to assign the seats I wanted.

So I would suggest calling Celebrity Choice air and asking them. 1-800-533-7803

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ehall said:

British Airways Blue members and Blue members in business class are not allowed for seat selection if  they not paying for selecting seats.

The seats will open to everyone within 24 hours before flight.

For bronze member is 7 days for seats selection.

4 hours ago, fstuff1 said:

Doing a transatlantic and flying back to the US.

When i booked last week, the person said it'll take 2 days to issue the ticket then i'll be able to pick my seat.

2,3,4,5 days passed and i still couldn't select my seat.

called Celebrity Air and they put in a request to issue my ticket.

Sigh.. luckily there are still lots of aisle seats left since my flight isn't till May

The next time you are back on line, let us know your airline.  

3 hours ago, WonderMan3 said:

I got a different story from Celebrity when I booked air with them back in 2020 (for a 2021 cruise that wound up being cancelled). Reserved Lufthansa but they said seats could not be selected until final payment was made.

Sorry to hear.   

I have never contacted Celebrity Air about seating.   I may have access due to my Star Alliance Status (2 Million Mile) and flying First.   I've already chosen seats 4 months ago on United for a flight in August and payment won't be made until June.      So many rules ---so many exceptions.

I was able to pop it up by the ticket locator number but it doesn't show in the "MY Flights" section until it's ticketed. 

3 hours ago, ehall said:

If you sign onto BA using your Avios account (if you don't have one, create one.) - go to Manage my booking.  If you can't see the flight because Celebrity booked it - you can choose "Add my booking" and put in the confirmation number.  You may have 2 different numbers - one from Celebrity and one for BA.  Try both.  Once you have that - you should be able to select your flight and see the available seats.  

That's pretty much what I've done on most of my bookings.   Personally I detest BA but have to fly them to get us up to Scotland at the end of our next cruise.  Just personal view -   They use to be such a good carrier but the competition with low cost airlines has taken a toll on their services. 

2 hours ago, jagoffee said:

The next time you are back on line, let us know your airline.  

Delta code share with klm.

(Klm plane)

1 hour ago, micruiser2002 said:

I recently booked Premium Economy on Delta with Celebrity Air and I gave all of our Skymile numbers and I was immediately able to go in and view the seats.  When I made the booking she asked me what seats I wanted.

International regular economy.

I did not give my skymiles # but I did  link it to my acct at delta.

Still got error about ticket needing to be issued before allowed to select seat.

So 6hrs after I called about the error in picking the seat and celebrity Air issue request to airline, I am able to select my seat at delta.com.

(I paid in full when I booked last week)

Edited by fstuff1
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

When I hit a wall, it's always due to a bloody code share.  Book with  Celebrity with United for an itinerary that includes a Lufthansa leg and find out I can't do seat selection with Lufthansa.  Doesn't pay to read too much into the word "alliance".

Same with us - cruise beginning of May and flight not ticketed yet.  I have booking nr or ticket locator nr from Swiss and can find all reservation details there, but  it is not yet possible to select seats although we have fare that includes seat pre-selection.  Even when calling Swiss directly they said we have to wait until tickets are issued.  This will probably be done after final payment which is due 30 days before (European terms).

Edited by odysee

19 minutes ago, fstuff1 said:

Delta code share with klm.

(Klm plane)

International regular economy.

I did not give my skymiles # but I did  link it to my acct at delta.

Still got error about ticket needing to be issued before allowed to select seat.

So 6hrs after I called about the error in picking the seat and celebrity Air issue request to airline, I am able to select my seat at delta.com.

(I paid in full when I booked last week)

Glad it worked out for you.  I have no experience flying Delta with CA.