Tor: COVID is really behind us...

rbslos18

As I said in the past on another thread, there is the possibility that Viking installed theses test labs in order to get a cheaper rate on insurance, although many liability policies contain Covid exclusions.  If that is the case, it is likely testing continues until the end of the policy period unless negotiated away mid term.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

That is true.  What I am uncertain about is choose a port, any port, that Viking uses and you can go there by plane, train, bus, or car with no testing and no chance of forced quarantine ashore.  How does that make any sense??  About like wearing a mask to the restaurant then sitting for a couple of hours unmasked.  Holding breath while eating?  Just curious.

No argument with that, although with all public transportation in the States, masks are still required. My point was that Viking has made their position clear. Their business, their choice. Other cruise lines  have different rules of engagement that will make more sense for some, and not for others. Choosing to sail on Viking, then being upset with the rules, will only result in being upset on a vacation that should be of enjoyment. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

No argument with that, although with all public transportation in the States, masks are still required. My point was that Viking has made their position clear. Their business, their choice. Other cruise lines  have different rules of engagement that will make more sense for some, and not for others. Choosing to sail on Viking, then being upset with the rules, will only result in being upset on a vacation that should be of enjoyment. 

I agree with you completely as to Viking.  Their circus, their monkey.  I just find the inconsistencies and if you want hypocrisy, to be baffling.  We will be staying away from Viking and pursuing other options, just thankful to have had the great cruses we have been able to enjoy prior to the crazy of the past few years.  Toss in the conflict and uncertainty in the world and anything goes.

• Like 4

Gosh…I had hoped to cruise with you one day…I just love Viking…their style, their emphasis on cultural and educational excursions…I don’t need chandeliers…I need quality surroundings with cultural emphasis…I DON’T need to be baby sat to the point that my every germ that I inhale needs to be scrutinized!  I have love “stalking” you in the Explorers Lounge… please don’t give up on Viking… I’d love to meet you and your clever intellect… it takes someone really, really smart to be as funny as you are in the midst of pandemic…please don’t leave Viking… I think that if they can look past the “woke” they will get on with the business of being the “thinking persons cruise line.” we are all really too smart to tolerate the “appeal to the masses” mentality!  Let’s get on with LIFE!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Let Me Travel! said:

I’m so sorry for your MIL… I wish and pray for her recovery…I do not want to come across as cold and unfeeling…I just want it to all end! Those that are at high risk are at high risk from every germ and virus in the air…we cannot protect every person from catching an airborne virus particularly those that have risk factors…but what about us that are NOT at risk…do we have to totally change our lives? 

One cannot protect every person from catching  COVID, but precautions by both the high risk person AND those who could infect someone, including asymptomatic persons, can significantly reduce the chances of transmission.  We should all do our part for the good of society.  Who knows what disease lies ahead that to which we are at high risk and we would wish others would take precautions for our good, too.  

Edited by 1985rz1
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I am certainly with you Let Me Travel.  Hopefully people will get over the idea you can breathe air never breathed by others.  Ha, good luck with avoiding germs.  As I have said before, something will get all of us but the odds are it will NOT be covid.....🍸

Edited by Jim Avery
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

One cannot protect every person from catching  COVID, but precautions by both the high risk person AND those who could infect someone, including asymptomatic persons, can significantly reduce the chances of transmission.  We should all do our part for the good of society.  Who knows what disease lies ahead that to which we are at high risk and we would wish others would take precautions for our good, too.  

I SO understand and sympathize..but…if the people who are at high risk would stay home, the rest of the people could get “fully vaccinated’ (yes, up to 47 shots)…then the risk could at least be minimized…no, never completely eliminated, but minimized…we cannot ever totally elimate the virus… it will always be with us in one form or another…should we forever give presdence  to THIS virus and none to others?

• Like 1

Just Wow!  So the people who are of high risk should just stay home?  I truly hope that you never become one of those people for your sake. I am just astounded at that statement. A whole lot of people fall Into that category, some more so than others. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

Almost everyone who sails on Viking would be considered high risk because of the average age.  So it makes sense to me that they are taking extra precautions.  We put off our next cruise until the end of the this year hoping that the variants become more like the flu. Covid cases at my wife's hospital she is a nurse at are down finally.  Hopefully, it stays this way with the latest variants. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

One thing that is still unclear is long term side effects of Covid symptomatic or asymptomatic.  I am hearing stories of brain shrinkage.  The below study is still a work in progress but we cannot say we are all good YET if we turn up with a mild case.

The Flu and or Noro do not have those problems.

So I still plan to go on my vacation but I also do want to know if I turn up positive.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2790595

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Let Me Travel! said:

I SO understand and sympathize..but…if the people who are at high risk would stay home, the rest of the people could get “fully vaccinated’ (yes, up to 47 shots)…then the risk could at least be minimized…

This is one of the most shocking and disappointing posts I have seen on Cruise Critic.

Since the majority of Viking's pax demographic is older, most of us, based on age alone, are in the high-risk category.

There are many ways to minimise risk, but a couple of the key deliverables is ensuring it doesn't negatively impact the business or cause other risks. Having all high risk pax stay home would result in Viking ships sailing almost empty.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4

13 hours ago, Let Me Travel! said:

I SO understand and sympathize..but…if the people who are at high risk would stay home, 

I don’t need your “sympathy”

and I hope you SO understand that a majority of Viking cruisers would be considered 

“high risk” based on age alone.
Perhaps, it would be better if you would “stay home”

• Like 8

11 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

This is one of the most shocking and disappointing posts I have seen on Cruise Critic.

Since the majority of Viking's pax demographic is older, most of us, based on age alone, are in the high-risk category.

There are many ways to minimise risk, but a couple of the key deliverables is ensuring it doesn't negatively impact the business or cause other risks. Having all high risk pax stay home would result in Viking ships sailing almost empty.

Oh my. Andy, your response is quite charitable. The logical conclusion of the original post is Viking’s bankruptcy. The ships won’t only be empty, they will be gone!

Viking is following the lead of its  scientists and physicians. Those who disagree with Viking’s experts have the option of finding a different cruise line whose experts have a different approach. They exist. 

With the exception of those of us who are trained in Epidemiology and infectious disease, perhaps we should return to Cruise Critic’s core values—providing information and help to fellow cruisers. 

• Like 7

I’m guessing nobody has an answer to this, but … it’s my understanding from various cruise boards that when Viking passengers end up in quarantine, Viking issues a voucher for the unused portion of their cruise. I’m wondering if it’s possible to refuse the voucher so we could get insurance reimbursement instead. Has anyone here done that or heard of someone who has?

One of the big reasons we’re cruising this fall is to use up a voucher from a canceled cruise. I really don’t want to get stuck with another one. Land trips — or another cruise line — are looking more appealing to us these days.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Twitchly said:

I’m wondering if it’s possible to refuse the voucher so we could get insurance reimbursement instead. Has anyone here done that or heard of someone who has?

I'm aware of a case where a very similar attempt was made. It ended badly.

The insurer took the position that the voucher was equivalent to a refund and in refusing the voucher compensation, the pax had assumed the voucher liability themselves. They denied that part of the claim.

Insurers generally take the position that they are the payers of "last resort" and expect you to only claim your ultimate out-of-pocket amounts. A typical example is co-payments around prescriptions, etc. I would expect most to take a similar position as my example, and you'd be stuck with the voucher  loss.

Many of us have "voucher overload", but I'd want an OK in writing from my insurer before I took this risk. 🍺🥌

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CurlerRob said:

I'm aware of a case where a very similar attempt was made. It ended badly.

The insurer took the position that the voucher was equivalent to a refund and in refusing the voucher compensation, the pax had assumed the voucher liability themselves. They denied that part of the claim.

Insurers generally take the position that they are the payers of "last resort" and expect you to only claim your ultimate out-of-pocket amounts. A typical example is co-payments around prescriptions, etc. I would expect most to take a similar position as my example, and you'd be stuck with the voucher  loss.

Many of us have "voucher overload", but I'd want an OK in writing from my insurer before I took this risk. 🍺🥌

I was afraid of that. Thanks for the info, even if it wasn’t what I wanted to hear.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Twitchly said:

I’m guessing nobody has an answer to this, but … it’s my understanding from various cruise boards that when Viking passengers end up in quarantine, Viking issues a voucher for the unused portion of their cruise. I’m wondering if it’s possible to refuse the voucher so we could get insurance reimbursement instead. Has anyone here done that or heard of someone who has?

One of the big reasons we’re cruising this fall is to use up a voucher from a canceled cruise. I really don’t want to get stuck with another one. Land trips — or another cruise line — are looking more appealing to us these days.

It feels like you are looking at this backwards. Book the cruise with the vouchers you have, assume you are going to finish that cruise fine (being that you are fully vaccinated and will use a modicum of precaution) And you get through to the end all clear, no need for insurance to pay or Viking to Voucher.

We just got off Viking Orion, took moderate precautions and left the ship safe and sound. Unfortunately we didn't enjoy the cruise as we had hoped so luckily we don't have to worry about a future cruise voucher we would never use.

The problem I have with the daily testing and quarantines is that it is no longer proportionate to the problem. Unless the country being visited has laws in place that Viking must abide by, it seems odd that the rules on board are stricter than those in place once passengers step ashore. 

Example, the British Isles - Norway itineraries. No routine testing is required in either. Masks are required in some situations, if symptomatic, test, if positive self isolate (not quarantine) it would be possible to self isolate onboard in original room booked and ashore with a bit of help from Viking, a dedicated elevator, set times or areas on deck, no housekeeping in room, cleaning supplies provided. Allowed to embark/disembark at set times, masks to be worn anytime not in cabin, social distancing etc. These provisions are in line with requirements and guidelines ashore, at home and in hotels in the UK and Norway. 

Zero covid onboard does nothing to reduce the risk of catching it ashore, when there is no guarantee that the person you are next to in the shop que is vaccinated. 

Unfortunately we are finding it difficult to get travel insurance that covers quarantine not mandated by a govenment, and Viking have £5,000 they've had since before they started sailing again. The cruise wasn't cancelled, but had bubble excursions only, which are a deal breaker for us so we changed itineraries to countries without this requirement, and where testing and quarantines are not required. 

That cash is the only reason we are not doing the same itinerary independently by land. Final payment is in September  for a Feb sailing, we hope things change by then

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

It feels like you are looking at this backwards. Book the cruise with the vouchers you have, assume you are going to finish that cruise fine (being that you are fully vaccinated and will use a modicum of precaution) And you get through to the end all clear, no need for insurance to pay or Viking to Voucher.

We just got off Viking Orion, took moderate precautions and left the ship safe and sound. Unfortunately we didn't enjoy the cruise as we had hoped so luckily we don't have to worry about a future cruise voucher we would never use.

We did book a cruise for this fall with our vouchers. Given the startling number of Viking passengers currently reporting going into quarantine in other cruise groups (especially on but not limited to River cruises), I was just pondering our options should we fall to their fate. If these reports are to be believed, one Viking River cruise offloaded nearly a quarter of its passengers into quarantine last week. (Those reporting to the cruise groups have mild cold symptoms or are asymptomatic.)

As you experienced, if things don’t change I suspect this will not be the relaxing and enjoyable cruise we used to expect from Viking.

1 hour ago, KBs mum said:

That cash is the only reason we are not doing the same itinerary independently by land.

Ditto. And it’s why I’m not keen to have more money stuck with Viking via vouchers. 

Ah, well. It is what it is. If things haven’t changed by September, we’ll strap on our gas masks and hazmat suits and try to have a delightful time.

• Like 3

On 3/21/2022 at 9:04 AM, SailorPaulH said:

I am seeing the updated elimination of requirement for masks and quarantine in room after embarkation test in my MVJ with a 3/17/2022 "Important Pre-Departure Information- Travel Requirements' document. The last line is interesting .... how to interpret?

'This document will be updated to reflect requirements for the countries along your journey effective on April 1.'

The countries along my journey don't require testing, so this suggests - to me - that more relaxations (of testing) could be on the way!?

Viking_Travel_031722.png

We are seeing the same thing, Viking pre-cruise requirements doc states their testing requirements will meet the country of entry testing requirements, yet we are going to Hungary where there are no testing or entry requirements.   Viking links to here https://www.police.hu/en/content/for-the-attention-of-travelers which makes the point.  

So we are paying for testing, and pre cruise requirements over and above governmental, while the chairman of the company says:

"I consider this thing, COVID, is really behind us," Viking chairman Torstein Hagen said during a media briefing on Wednesday. "There are more of us who will get it. But now it's a much less serious thing, and we should get back to life as normal."

Cruise life back to normal would be very welcome sir. 

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Twitchly said:

We did book a cruise for this fall with our vouchers. Given the startling number of Viking passengers currently reporting going into quarantine in other cruise groups (especially on but not limited to River cruises), I was just pondering our options should we fall to their fate. If these reports are to be believed, one Viking River cruise offloaded nearly a quarter of its passengers into quarantine last week. (Those reporting to the cruise groups have mild cold symptoms or are asymptomatic.)

As you experienced, if things don’t change I suspect this will not be the relaxing and enjoyable cruise we used to expect from Viking.

Ditto. And it’s why I’m not keen to have more money stuck with Viking via vouchers. 

Ah, well. It is what it is. If things haven’t changed by September, we’ll strap on our gas masks and hazmat suits and try to have a delightful time.

River cruise are not ocean ship. 
that being said , just read various cruise forums on CC. Lots of transatlantic ships have Covid , celebrity passenger is doing a blog about their quarantine. Cunard had to cancel a cruise in Caribbean because so many crew members had Covid. Check out Princess , silver sea, regent etc. they all have Covid passengers recently. In the time of Covid cruising is not for the faint of heart. 
Easy fir me to say that my next Viking cruise is June 2023 But did take two cruises in 2032 and did not catch Covid.

13 minutes ago, osterzone said:

So we are paying for testing, and pre cruise requirements over and above governmental, while the chairman of the company says:

"I consider this thing, COVID, is really behind us," Viking chairman Torstein Hagen said during a media briefing on Wednesday. "There are more of us who will get it. But now it's a much less serious thing, and we should get back to life as normal."

Cruise life back to normal would be very welcome sir. 

Very welcome indeed. We have 2 Viking cruises (one ocean, one river) this year - both rescheduled after cancellations and using vouchers. Too much money to keep tied up! I, too, am concerned that these will not be as relaxing and enjoyable as anticipated because of Viking's overly cautious requirements!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Azulann said:

River cruise are not ocean ship. 
that being said , just read various cruise forums on CC. Lots of transatlantic ships have Covid , celebrity passenger is doing a blog about their quarantine. Cunard had to cancel a cruise in Caribbean because so many crew members had Covid. Check out Princess , silver sea, regent etc. they all have Covid passengers recently. In the time of Covid cruising is not for the faint of heart. 
Easy fir me to say that my next Viking cruise is June 2023 But did take two cruises in 2032 and did not catch Covid.

Valid points, but are those lines requiring everyone on the ship to be vaccinated and boosted? 

Europe is moving towards endemic, the Americas are still at pandemic

• Like 1

On 4/17/2022 at 6:40 PM, Jim Avery said:

Toss in the conflict and uncertainty in the world and anything goes.

Jim you got that right. 

On 4/18/2022 at 4:13 PM, suezq said:

I, too, am concerned that these will not be as relaxing and enjoyable as anticipated because of Viking's overly cautious requirements!

For sure...I would not be going next month if I didn't feel it was a unique opportunity (referring to the "Chairman's" invitational cruise). Spent hours already on this "digital locator form" and still have NO idea exactly what needs to be sent in. I get varied opinions on it. I'm still waiting for what I'm told by someone on CC that Viking will provide detailed info as to exactly what is required for my specific trip - so far nothing other than a fairly generic form about requirements to enter Italy and a timeframe checklist. I sort of hope a bit more detail is still forthcoming with the final documents (if any?) Then there's the search for a covid test that must be no more than 24 hours prior to the "first international flight" - so that eliminates all the local pharmacies that offer testing only till around 4:30 (our flight is not till 5:45). One Viking agent awhile back told me there is flexibility as to the allowable timeframe, but another tonight told me there isn't. Insane....

Edited by AnyWayIsGood