Questions... Children, Formal Dress, Smoking, more???

joseph123

18 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

But, if said restaurant had a required dress code, you would either abide by it or choose to dine elsewhere.  Plain and simple.

Remind me again, I can’t remember how much you’ve sailed SS.  Also, what dress code policies is SS not enforcing based on your on board experience?

1) Very few restaurants have dress codes any more, even the ones that do don’t require a tie any more.  Would I follow the dress code, yes I would-however the fact is todays demographics will in time change this policy-but we’ll have to wait and see.

2) Doesn’t make any difference how many SS cruises I’ve taken, we’ve cruised around 45+ cruise so far (usually higher end cruises).  We do have 2 cruises booked on SS, we enjoy larger suites with great service………

23 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

I’m gonna call bunk.  Why?  

1)Because I’ve seen JPAlbany prove time and time again any male can bring formal and informal wear, along with everything else they need, for a 2-week voyage in merely a carry-on and back pack.

That's my post, so you're saying I'm posting nonsense by saying that having a suit plus a jacket pushes the weight limit of a 50-pound bag, at least when traveling in cooler climates. Really?? (Have you observed me loading our suitcases and lifting them multiple times to weigh on my portable luggage scale, cheering when it registers 49.5 pound and groaning when it registers 53 pounds?)

I don't know how JPAlbany does it, and I applaud him, but I assure you I can't travel for two weeks — in a manner in which I'd want to — with a carry-on and backpack.  Perhaps he doesn't have my size 13 wide feet, where a single pair of shoes takes up about 20% of my carry on! Perhaps he gets free laundry onboard, so he can send out clothing every few days to manage with only a few changes of clothes? Perhaps he chooses not to carry a camera, lenses and a laptop computer? Perhaps he has lightweight dress clothing for wrinkle-free travel which I don't? I'm guessing he doesn't need to carry a CPAP machine for his or his wife's sleep? It doesn't matter; neither my wife nor I have ever been able to pack light enough to pull off the trick of not needing to check luggage, and we never will.

23 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

Anybody who can afford a SS cruise can afford to bring another case if the airline only allows them to bring one.  And, if they can’t afford to pay the airline an extra luggage fee (usually $25 to $70 per bag) to bring another checked suitcase then they need to be honest with themselves and recognize they can’t really afford to sail SS after all.

Wow! That's pretty offensive just because I expressed my opinion that I'd prefer not to have to battle to get everything packed under the weight limit. 

First, just for the record: a second bag costs $100 on American, United and Delta to/from the US to Europe. Perhaps there are some airlines which charge less, but $25 for an extra bag seems like fiction. 

So let's add this up: If between my wife and I, we had three suitcases to check, plus our carry on bags, we'd incur additional costs for porters to assist with luggage at each airport and port, as neither of us could handle two large suitcases plus a carry-on bag. We couldn't share car service with another couple to/from our home airport, as we sometimes do, because there's just not room in a standard vehicle for an extra bag beyond our four suitcase and carry ons — so add some extra cost for hiring a van, hiring a separate car, or driving separately and parking a car for two weeks. Then there's the $100 x 2 = $200 for the extra bag. Is all that do-able? Yes. Could I afford $300, $400 or more for all this? Yes. I never claimed it was impossible.

But can you understand me saying I would prefer to avoid all that added cost and hassle just to take extra clothes I might wear once? I've clearly said I always abide by the dress code on a ship, so we make the luggage work; but you call me out for noting it can be problematic and that, given a choice (which I am not), I'd prefer not to have to pack extra clothes for a single formal night. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, cruiseej said:

Wow! That's pretty offensive just because I expressed my opinion…

But can you understand me saying I would prefer to avoid all that added cost and hassle just to take extra clothes I might wear once? I've clearly said I always abide by the dress code on a ship, so we make the luggage work; but you call me out for noting it can be problematic and that, given a choice (which I am not), I'd prefer not to have to pack extra clothes for a single formal night. 

Offensive?  Really?

So, let me get this straight.  Since you have big feet, choose to carry a camera and multiple lenses, along with a computer and a CPAP machine, you believe SS should allow you to dine wherever you want regardless of the evening’s dress code, all because a simple dark suit or dinner jacket would require you to pack an entire extra piece of checked luggage, because you prefer to not pay for your own private car transfer to/from the airport, hire a porter, or do a little laundry while on board which would allow you to bring less clothing.  Did I summarize your POV correctly?

If so, I’d suggest holding up a mirror in front of your face the next time you claim someone is being offensive.

• Like 4

I hope you don't pack your CPAP in your checked baggage. What happens if it is lost?

Besides CPAP machines are regarded as a medical device and so can be taken on board in addition to your carry on and are not charged.

https://www.resmed.com/en-us/sleep-apnea/sleep-blog/cpap-air-travel-what-you-should-know/

• Like 4

13 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

1) Very few restaurants have dress codes any more, even the ones that do don’t require a tie any more.  Would I follow the dress code, yes I would-however the fact is todays demographics will in time change this policy-but we’ll have to wait and see.

2) Doesn’t make any difference how many SS cruises I’ve taken, we’ve cruised around 45+ cruise so far (usually higher end cruises).  We do have 2 cruises booked on SS, we enjoy larger suites with great service………

1) You obviously haven’t been to Le Gavroche recently.

2) So that would zero cruises so far on SS then.

• Like 1

Stumblefoot and SilverSpectre, 

No I haven’t been to Le Gavroche lately - but I have been to a few of Ducasse’s restaurants and Silversea’s restaurants don’t match up to any of them.  And know I see Silversea has costume parties, we’re not in high school.

And you’re right no SS cruises yet, I have to booked a 14 night and a 16 night.  Since money seems important to you guy’s - Silversea has just over $83,000 of my money until we cruise.  So people have a right to express their opinion even if you don’t agree.  Will I book more on Silversea, depends on if I enjoy the total experience.

Silversea has costume parties?  Really? Been on 7 cruises with them........don't recall ever seeing and/or reading about any type of costume party.

• Like 2

Can I just add to this topic that I think it's all getting a little personal now likewise on other silversea threads ..not blaming anyone in particular but I'm getting a vibe it's from crystal ex passengers wanting to try silversea  asking various questions and perhaps not liking the response.. 1.dress code does seem to be a problem 2.dinning options ..3.size of cabins !! I could go on ...please just give silversea a try & if you don't care for them then try another line untill you find your alternative to crystal...I myself love silversea 💃

• Like 2

Lois,

I’m just guessing here…

Maybe this future newbie is concerned he won’t be comfortable with the Silversea dress code and spending all that money as he mentioned. Sounds like he’s no longer in the mood for those Silversea costume parties and middling quality restaurants which he also chooses to mention. Maybe he will choose to rethink those bookings. But better late than never, as the say. I would be interested where he ends up.

Happy and healthy sailing!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Some ex Crystal fans have been trying various other lines, and generally not liking them.  Crystal did seem to get a particularly devoted fan club.  However, those of us who prefer the others can get a bit miffed when we read their complaints - obviously the others are not Crystal but most of us like them or would not be frequent posters here.  And thank goodness for no photographers; thought they had gone years ago.

Lola

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ronrick1943 said:

So people have a right to express their opinion even if you don’t agree.

Exactly right, ronrick1943.  Just as people have a right to respond to your opinions, if they choose, whether they agree or not.  

Seems Harry S. Truman’s proverb “if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen” from 1942 applies here or as translated kindly into modern terms, if you can’t stand people replying to your opinions, best get out of this forum.

8 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

Exactly right, ronrick1943.  Just as people have a right to respond to your opinions, if they choose, whether they agree or not.  

Seems Harry S. Truman’s proverb “if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen” from 1942 applies here or as translated kindly into modern terms, if you can’t stand people replying to your opinions, best get out of this forum.

True, did I ever say people shouldn’t have an opinion or express them?

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

Silversea has costume parties?  Really? Been on 7 cruises with them........don't recall ever seeing and/or reading about any type of costume party.

The World Cruise has occasional themed nights, I.e. the recent Arabian Night. This is not a feature on other voyages.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lois R said:

Glad to see you are posting Lois.   Hope you are feeling well.

2 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

Stumblefoot and SilverSpectre, 

No I haven’t been to Le Gavroche lately - but I have been to a few of Ducasse’s restaurants and Silversea’s restaurants don’t match up to any of them.  And know I see Silversea has costume parties, we’re not in high school.

And you’re right no SS cruises yet, I have to booked a 14 night and a 16 night.  Since money seems important to you guy’s - Silversea has just over $83,000 of my money until we cruise.  So people have a right to express their opinion even if you don’t agree.  Will I book more on Silversea, depends on if I enjoy the total experience.

@ronrick1943I don’t always agree with your posts but your comments about “money seems important to you guys” made me laugh.   Just keep in mind Silversea sells” used” luxury handbags under guise of “ vintage”. 

Edited by Cancun01

2 hours ago, Cancun01 said:

@ronrick1943I don’t always agree with your posts but your comments about “money seems important to you guys” made me laugh.   Just keep in mind Silversea sells” used” luxury handbags under guise of “ vintage”. 

Normally I would never mention $$$, and never have in my post but it seems important to those that made comments.  

We don't have any issues with the 50 lbs bag limit-and my husband wears size 13 shoes.  In fact, he brings at least one pair of size 13 cowboy boots on every trip.  Those take up a LOT of room, but you stuff them with socks, underwear, etc.  If it is a cruise with formal nights, he will wear a dark blazer on the plane and use it with dark pants.  A tie takes hardly any room.  I know this is what JP does as well.

And as anyone who has ever met me will attest, I bring a lot of clothes and shoes and manage to get it in one checked suitcase and a carryon. 

• Like 5

Normally I would never mention $$$, and never have in my post but it seems important to those that made comments.  

I hear you.  Intended or not that is how some posters come across.  A wise old banker once told us…you would be surprised who has money and even more surprised who doesn’t! 

Enjoy your travels! 

11 minutes ago, Cancun01 said:

I hear you.  Intended or not that is how some posters come across.  

Assumptions not in evidence. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

Offensive?  Really?

So, let me get this straight.  Since you have big feet, choose to carry a camera and multiple lenses, along with a computer and a CPAP machine, you believe SS should allow you to dine wherever you want regardless of the evening’s dress code, all because a simple dark suit or dinner jacket would require you to pack an entire extra piece of checked luggage, because you prefer to not pay for your own private car transfer to/from the airport, hire a porter, or do a little laundry while on board which would allow you to bring less clothing.  Did I summarize your POV correctly?

If so, I’d suggest holding up a mirror in front of your face the next time you claim someone is being offensive.

I don't mean to be in a spitting war with you, really. 😉 You said what I wrote was nonsense ("I call bunk") for saying taking extra clothing for a single night can be challenging with luggage weight limits. That's all I was saying, by way of explanation why some people raise questions about the dress code.  We can have different points of view, but saying that I'm writing nonsense when I'm simply sharing my reality is what I felt was offensive. And now in your reply, you said my explanation which you quote above is also offensive ("hold up a mirror in front of your face")? Why would you find my point of view offensive? You can disagree; you can find my point of view silly — but why is it offensive to you?

Now, let me try to clarify words you seem to be putting in my mouth. You wrote: "you believe SS should allow you to dine wherever you want regardless of the evening’s dress code." Nope! I never wrote that, and in fact I have written several times that I always have and always will comply with Silversea's (or any cruise line's) dress code. Does that mean I can't offer an opinion that I'd prefer to see slight changes in the dress code in the future? I would prefer not to have to pack extra formal clothes that I might wear only one night. But unless the dress code ever changes, I have, and I will. I've only said that I'd prefer not to. I've said I understand why others may want to dress to whatever degree of formal clothing they like, whether it's a dark suit/tux/dinner jacket, ball gown, or whatever, but I don't understand why, if I wore a blue sport jacket with gray pants rather than a black suit, it would detract from the cruises of others.

You challenged me in your previous post why we wouldn't just bring an extra suitcase. I tried to explain that doing so was both more expensive than you said, but would carry additional hidden costs which I tried to specify. For this, you said I was being offensive. Really? So people can't have a pleasant conversation on this site if it includes an opinion and reasons why we might prefer to see current policies tweaked in the future? Actually, I wasn't even advocating for change; I was just explaining why some people may not love the current policy. 

13 hours ago, drron29 said:

I hope you don't pack your CPAP in your checked baggage. What happens if it is lost?

Besides CPAP machines are regarded as a medical device and so can be taken on board in addition to your carry on and are not charged.

Thanks. No, I would never put the machine (which is for my wife) in our checked luggage. I usually put it in our carry-on bag; unfortunately, it uses up about 1/3 of the space in the carry-on bag. I only mentioned it in reference to the idea of putting more clothing into our carry-on. Yes, we could carry it separately and not be charged, but I'm normally handling the carry-on bag plus a small camera bag, so carrying a third bag with the CPAP machine just gets a bit unwieldy to carry on. I've done it, but generally aim to put the machine in the carry-on bag so there's one fewer thing dangling from my arms and no need for further interaction with gate agents. 😉

21 minutes ago, RachelG said:

We don't have any issues with the 50 lbs bag limit-and my husband wears size 13 shoes.  In fact, he brings at least one pair of size 13 cowboy boots on every trip.  Those take up a LOT of room, but you stuff them with socks, underwear, etc.

Space in the bag isn't the issue; its weight. Filling shoes/boot with socks/underwear saves space, but not weight. 😄

21 minutes ago, RachelG said:

If it is a cruise with formal nights, he will wear a dark blazer on the plane and use it with dark pants.

I could do that, too, although I'd note that technically it doesn't meet the requirements of a formal night, which calls for a dark suit. Since some SS cruisers here strongly challenge people who don't follow the dress code, I comply by also bringing a black suit in addition to a sport jacket for informal nights. That's what led me to say the weight adds up... which then engendered this whole spin-off of the conversation. Yikes. I only tried to explain, but each further explanation was picked apart, so I guess I failed and should have kept my mouth shut.

Edited by cruiseej
  • Like 3