Explorer of the Seas - Just Returned

10 minutes ago, poocher said:

Great, we are going from an OS on Harmony last week to a JS on Explorer in October.  Is my husband going to kill me????

Probably not -- she'll be sailing from FL and she'll be sailing when kids are in school.

What week in October?  I might see you there....

38 minutes ago, poocher said:

Great, we are going from an OS on Harmony last week to a JS on Explorer in October.  Is my husband going to kill me????

I am in a JS on EX now...having booked late while on Odyssey last month....

It's actually a nice cabin.  Always love the walk in closet and full bathtub.  We are within about 18 steps of the CL...which is my go to for morning coffee!!  🙂  They even keep bottled water out to bring back to cabin.  

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, poocher said:

We are on the 10/29 ABC cruise (needed an 8 day to reach Diamond).  Island Lady, are JS guests allowed in the Concierge Lounge?

Only if you are Pinnacle in a JS....or Pinnacle any other cabin cat for that matter.

Diamonds in a JS do not have access to CL.  However, Diamonds and above have access to the DL on deck 14 (VCL).  Much nicer view lounge, same drinks and munchies.  

We actually don't do HH in either lounge, though have access....prefer using our vouchers at other venues, our favorite being at the bar in the VCL.   Bruno is a fantastic bartender.  Bartenders in the VCL are making drinks for the DL pax during HH.  

Edited by island lady

Good afternoon.

We will be on Explorer in April out of Puerto Rico.

I need to know how things are now for entering Puerto Rico.

Do we still need to register to enter the Island before we get

there from the states??  I understand that we need to be fully

vaccinated, and COVID tested  which we will,

but do we need anything else to enter the Island???

Thank you.

14 minutes ago, LATTELOVE said:

Good afternoon.

We will be on Explorer in April out of Puerto Rico.

I need to know how things are now for entering Puerto Rico.

Do we still need to register to enter the Island before we get

there from the states??  I understand that we need to be fully

vaccinated, and COVID tested  which we will,

but do we need anything else to enter the Island???

Thank you.

We are on the Explorer April 24 and spending 2 days before the cruise.  I don’t think we need anything to get into Puerto Rico. Here is the webpage explaining the travel protocols and Covid-19 updates from March 10.

https://www.plateapr.com/en/travel/puerto-rico-travel-protocols-and-restrictions/

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Rondo said:

We are on the Explorer April 24 and spending 2 days before the cruise.  I don’t think we need anything to get into Puerto Rico. Here is the webpage explaining the travel protocols and Covid-19 updates from March 10.

https://www.plateapr.com/en/travel/puerto-rico-travel-protocols-and-restrictions/

Thank you so much for the info!

1 hour ago, island lady said:

Only if you are Pinnacle in a JS....or Pinnacle any other cabin cat for that matter.

Diamonds in a JS do not have access to CL.  However, Diamonds and above have access to the DL on deck 14 (VCL).  Much nicer view lounge, same drinks and munchies.  

We actually don't do HH in either lounge, though have access....prefer using our vouchers at other venues, our favorite being at the bar in the VCL.   Bruno is a fantastic bartender.  Bartenders in the VCL are making drinks for the DL pax during HH.  

Ok way not pinnacle!  We will get to Diamond on this cruise.  Just back from Harmony and we spend zero time in the SL  and were meh on CK so I don’t think we’ll miss either.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rondo said:

This article was so informative.  So happy that we don't have

to worry about all of those tests and paper work. Thank you so much!!

I was excited when they changed the rules.  Now if we could have an easier way to do the 2 day before Covid testing. We’re going in 3 days earlier, so will have to test in San Juan. 😕

Enjoy your cruise!

10 hours ago, island lady said:

Clarification, the Diamond Lounge doesn't include unlimited booze during Happy Hour and bottles of water.

15 hours ago, poocher said:

Ok way not pinnacle!  We will get to Diamond on this cruise.  Just back from Harmony and we spend zero time in the SL  and were meh on CK so I don’t think we’ll miss either.

Guarantee you won't miss the CL on EX.  The DL is "where it's at".  😉 

5 hours ago, brillohead said:

Clarification, the Diamond Lounge doesn't include unlimited booze during Happy Hour and bottles of water.

Yes, I already mentioned using the vouchers, and now you can get any drink (even frozen and "foo foo" drinks) using your vouchers in the DL up to 13.00... which is a change from the limited drink menu that used to be during HH in the DL.  

We get 3 bottles of wine delivered to our cabin and six vouchers per person per day...more than enough for a warm welcome into AA.  😮  

Diamonds get 4 vouchers per person a day.  D+ get 5.  

Edited by island lady

Am on 2nd leg on EX out of PR.   I had filled out the required health entry (which was a total PIA) for entry into PR (AKA airport exit) having to generate a QR code for them to scan.  Just before I got there, PR eliminated that requirement.  Kept them anyway, but was never asked for them, and did not use or need them.

Only thing we did was to do the required 2 day prior Covid test and register on the App the day before for the ship.  

• Thanks 1

On 3/23/2022 at 7:34 PM, Russ Lomas said:

Thanks for the informative review.  We sail the Explorer from Miami for the first time in August.  

As for taxis from the pier to the airport - they are a ripoff and pricing tends to fluctuate terribly.  We used Uber to pick us up at the pier and it was so much cheaper, more comfortable, and efficient.

Whete did Uber pick you up when leaving the ship?

3 hours ago, Sianli said:

Whete did Uber pick you up when leaving the ship?

When you get off the ship you will see where the taxis are picking up in front of you and the bus is just to the right. We just walk to the far left and that’s where all the rideshare programs were picking people up.  This was pure 18 in Fort Lauderdale

9 hours ago, Russ Lomas said:

When you get off the ship you will see where the taxis are picking up in front of you and the bus is just to the right. We just walk to the far left and that’s where all the rideshare programs were picking people up.  This was pure 18 in Fort Lauderdale

Thank you. I was looking for in San Juan this time but in FLL soon!

On 3/24/2022 at 2:33 PM, Ashland said:

We got on Explorer for a B2B On Sunday March 20th. Sorry but I'm going to completely disagree with the OP. The ship is definitely showing her age (old and tired) and desperately needs her dry dock which is scheduled for 2023.

There are 2800 onboard and it feels like 4k. Lot's of large groups of locals...kids and adults loud and rude and have taken over the ship. Very understaffed everywhere. WJ is a mess and dining room service is slow. Food at all venues very poor.

We're in an OS and have needed maintenance several times, our cabin literally falling apart.

The SL concierge scans your SeaPass card every time you walk in...every drink you order and every time you walk out the door...that policy is new to us. SL is small enclosed area deck #9 but DL is a nice space deck #14 and very empty each night. Apparently these two areas will change next drydock.

We're long time loyal RCI cruiser's and very low key and usually ask for nothing. But very disappointed in this cruise and hoping things get better next week but I think that's doubtful.

Some other CC members onboard and through their posts are experiencing and seeing the same as we are.

We've sailed out of San Juan several times on this B2B itinerary and this may be the last time...so sad !!! 

On 3/25/2022 at 2:16 PM, island lady said:

I agree with Ashland...and friends Dave/Kathy are witnessing the same thing.  

Huge difference from what Dave/Kathy experienced last week.  A thousand more pax from last week to this, they said made it feel like 10K.   Rude, loud, "me first" type family groups on board.  Running wild down the hallways all night long, and push/shoving their way around.  Don't even think about trying to manage your way around the WJ. 😮  They are even running of of food (fresh food)....crew not in a good mood and very short staffed.  

Personally I think RCI nabbed top crew members to staff new comer Odyssey, and now huge Wonder and has left the smaller/older ships to fly in the wind.  

We are on next week again...may have to hibernate in the cabin.  😳  No...not really...but am trying to avoid the areas hit hard with the crowds.  

We have Voyager booked for B2B2B next January-Feb.   Won't cancel...but I think another problem is we should never have booked this late in the spring.  Won't do it again.  

On 3/26/2022 at 9:45 AM, Ashland said:

I am tired of the 3rd degree we get in the dining room on the nights we eat there...from a certain staff member. It's my vacation and I can eat where I want to each night. This has really rubbed us the wrong way. Service seems to be great to those that eat there every night we've noticed... towards us MEH !!! Very slow !! We'll ask for another table location for next week and see how it goes....but I'm not going to be pressured to eat in the dining room every night !!! 

Agree. The 13 March leg was a totally different vibe than the 20 March leg. Less people and not packs of loud, rude and inconsiderate people of all ages like on the 20th. Most acted like this was their first cruise or never have been out in public before.  Glad the DL was a nice escape. We have done many cruises out of SJ but this will be our last out of SJ. 

We found refuge in the DL. Great DLC and staff including the VCL. We were lucky on both legs to have a great table for two in the MDR, deck 3. One table next to us was a party of four and the other table next to us was a party of two. Fun people. We had a great wait team for both legs. We actually had the same wait team for both legs. First time for that. All our meals were good. They even changed the menu a bit from the first leg to the second leg.

We over ate and drank more than we do at home. Giving our waist lines and livers a break now that we are home.  Only one HH drink at home. 😉 Our 5 drinks each day was plenty. I would always have a couple beers in the ports, but they are very small bottles. 😁 Each night we both had one drink left on our Seapass cards. We would go to the VCL to get drinks to go. The bar staff would give Kathy two bottles of water and give me two cans of Budweiser. They refused to charge Kathy Seapass card for the bottles of water. 

On the first leg we had to have maintenance take care of a rust issue on our balcony. In front of the balcony door about 3 inches wide and the full length if the balcony door was rust and it had leached out onto the balcony floor. Ugly!!  Maintenance scheduled a time with us the next day when we were out and about to clean and paint over the rust. We don't look for things but the Explorer is over due for a makeover. 

Pat, glad to have met you and Bucky. Even though we didn't spend a lot of time hanging out together you two are a very nice and fun couple. 🍻 BTW, Bucky will get a laugh out of this. I couldn't check in online on the ship or at the airport for our boarding passes. Long story short, one of the JetBlue agents at SLC cancelled our return flights when we were trying to get to SJ, pre cruise. You know that crazy hard to believe nightmare. We did make it home but an hour and a half late. JetBlue was consistent on that, at least for us on this round trip. We did get compensated for the replacement suitcase I had to buy in St. Maarten and JetBlue is replacing the suitcase their baggage apes destroyed.  Also got JetBlue to reimburse us for some of the airfare. I had to eat my way up the food chain (after 4 hours and taking no for an answer) but finally got someone that agreed with my complaints and issues caused by JetBlue. The women told me she rarely speaks with the customer and is very rare that JetBlue will credit money back to the method of payment. Also JetBlue gave Kathy and I $400.00 each in vouchers for future flights. I seriously doubt we'll use them after the nightmare Kathy and I told you and Bucky about just getting to SJ.   

Take care and hope your second leg is a much better vibe than your first leg. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, davekathy said:

Agree. The 13 March leg was a totally different vibe than the 20 March leg. Less people and not packs of loud, rude and inconsiderate people of all ages like on the 20th. Most acted like this was their first cruise or never have been out in public before.  Glad the DL was a nice escape. We have done many cruises out of SJ but this will be our last out of SJ. 

We found refuge in the DL. Great DLC and staff including the VCL. We were lucky on both legs to have a great table for two in the MDR, deck 3. One table next to us was a party of four and the other table next to us was a party of two. Fun people. We had a great wait team for both legs. We actually had the same wait team for both legs. First time for that. All our meals were good. They even changed the menu a bit from the first leg to the second leg.

We over ate and drank more than we do at home. Giving our waist lines and livers a break now that we are home.  Only one HH drink at home. 😉 Our 5 drinks each day was plenty. I would always have a couple beers in the ports, but they are very small bottles. 😁 Each night we both had one drink left on our Seapass cards. We would go to the VCL to get drinks to go. The bar staff would give Kathy two bottles of water and give me two cans of Budweiser. They refused to charge Kathy Seapass card for the bottles of water. 

On the first leg we had to have maintenance take care of a rust issue on our balcony. In front of the balcony door about 3 inches wide and the full length if the balcony door was rust and it had leached out onto the balcony floor. Ugly!!  Maintenance scheduled a time with us the next day when we were out and about to clean and paint over the rust. We don't look for things but the Explorer is over due for a makeover. 

Pat, glad to have met you and Bucky. Even though we didn't spend a lot of time hanging out together you two are a very nice and fun couple. 🍻 BTW, Bucky will get a laugh out of this. I couldn't check in online on the ship or at the airport for our boarding passes. Long story short, one of the JetBlue agents at SLC cancelled our return flights when we were trying to get to SJ, pre cruise. You know that crazy hard to believe nightmare. We did make it home but an hour and a half late. JetBlue was consistent on that, at least for us on this round trip. We did get compensated for the replacement suitcase I had to buy in St. Maarten and JetBlue is replacing the suitcase their baggage apes destroyed.  Also got JetBlue to reimburse us for some of the airfare. I had to eat my way up the food chain (after 4 hours and taking no for an answer) but finally got someone that agreed with my complaints and issues caused by JetBlue. The women told me she rarely speaks with the customer and is very rare that JetBlue will credit money back to the method of payment. Also JetBlue gave Kathy and I $400.00 each in vouchers for future flights. I seriously doubt we'll use them after the nightmare Kathy and I told you and Bucky about just getting to SJ.   

Take care and hope your second leg is a much better vibe than your first leg. 

OH no...poor Dave and Kathy!  At least you did get some minor compensation.  Bucky still wants to know "You got the stuff Dave"?  😄 😄 

Yeah, this leg is pretty much the same...but either we are used to it by now...or just really good at avoiding the zoo of of the rude pax again on this leg.  We spend a lot of time in other smaller areas that are not huge communal spots.  Once again enjoying our favorite bartender Bruno as we sit at the VCL bar.  

Doing MDR, early dining again...same table again in the back in a corner by the window.  Quite a bit quieter back there.  Not really impressed with the specialty restaurants we did last week (did all of them but Johnny Rockets)...but did do Giovannis again this week...just once...was OK.  Enjoying our early dining in MDR...no waiting.  By the time we are leaving first seating dinner just after 7 pm...the line waiting to get in is terrible.  Lined up all the way into Focus photo gallery.  Yikes!  Guessing MTD?  

Docked in between Harmony and Jewel at St. Maarten right now.  Weather has been mostly good this week, but a bit of rain at St. Croix.  

Great to spend time with you and so happy we finally got to meet in person.  🙂  You two are wonderful company and we really enjoyed the laughs together.  

• Thanks 1

We are currently docked here in St. Maarten on EX.   Looks like an RCI meeting!  Harmony on one side, Jewel on the other...plus Rhapsody (crew only) just pulled in behind Jewel.  

Jewel looking sparkling new and in good shape!  🥰  Poor little Rhapsody is in really sad shape, lots of rust showing, rough all over.   She has been out of service since Covid shut down, serving as quarantine ship for crew members...mostly anchored off shore of St. Maarten the last two years.

Unusual to have so many RCI ships here at once.  And no idea yet, if something else is on other side of Harmony.  Walking into town soon.