Will my dad like Carnival?

Hi everyone,

My dad sailed on the original Mardi Gras in the 70s and hated it so much that he developed a lifelong hatred for Carnival. Recently, I convinced him to give Carnival another chance. We will sail on the Vista in February 2023. Do you think that my dad will like it? Thanks! (We sailed on the NCL Breakaway in 2013 and he really liked it, but when we were on the Celebrity Summit in 2011, he didn't like it).

Depends on why he likes/dislikes cruises.  My parents have converted from Princess to Carnival as they dislike the slower pace and formality.

The Vista is certainly newer/nicer than most of the fleet, but aside from that we'd need more info to help you guide him to a better cruise. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Indytraveler83 said:

Depends on why he likes/dislikes cruises.  My parents have converted from Princess to Carnival as they dislike the slower pace and formality.

The Vista is certainly newer/nicer than most of the fleet, but aside from that we'd need more info to help you guide him to a better cruise. 

Well, he says that he dislikes sea days. (He says that they are a waste of time), he says that he would much rather spend time visiting ports than spending time at sea. He also prefers to be on ships with lots of entertainment options, and he finds ships with less entertainment options (like the Celebrity Summit) to be boring.

Ok, well hopefully you scheduled a port heavy itinerary!

The Vista has a TON of entertainment options including an IMax theater.  There are musicians typically scheduled all around the ship of an evening, with tons and tons to do.

They key in the Vista class ships is to get to venues EARLY.  The venues are a bit undersized, so you won't find a seat if you arrive too late.

You may also want to spice the cruise up with specialty dining. Vista class ships have tons of neat places to eat, and the Hibachi place is almost entertainment by itself.

It's easy to stay busy on that class of ship, and given what you've said, I'd stick to Vista class or newer for him to have the best possible time.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Indytraveler83 said:

The Vista has a TON of entertainment options including an IMax theater.  There are musicians typically scheduled all around the ship of an evening, with tons and tons to do.

They key in the Vista class ships is to get to venues EARLY.  The venues are a bit undersized, so you won't find a seat if you arrive too late.

You may also want to spice the cruise up with specialty dining. Vista class ships have tons of neat places to eat, and the Hibachi place is almost entertainment by itself.

It's easy to stay busy on that class of ship, and given what you've said, I'd stick to Vista class or newer for him to have the best possible time.

Thanks! You're answer has helped a lot

• Like 1

Don't know how old your dad is, but I also sailed on the original Mardi Gras in 1976 at the ripe old age of 18. Since Carnival came here to Galveston in 2002 we have sailed everything with a funnel and most of those with a Viking Crown Lounge from the island. We loved them all except the Rhapsody.

February sailings will be void of younger kids, college kids and have lots of platinum and diamond cruisers aboard. I at 63 would be a youngster aboard that sailing.

The Vista is a nice ship, and a real departure from the Carnival soaring atrium's of their fleet. Most love it, a few don't and the rest fall in the middle. The biggest problem is people oversell their friends on Carnival. I will most likely get bashed for that, and I don't care. My wife and I will make diamond on the way to Alaska next summer, so I can say we set realistic expectations.

Hairy Chest Contests, Mixology, and a relaxed dress code turn some off from them, but with the size of the ship you can get lost from those activities.

Do this: take a look at my images from the Vista several years ago and share them with your dad.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/onKQT9YCFduQsJqSA  Let him see the features and what I see through the eyes of a Nikon.

Download the steakhouse and Italian restaurant menus and take advantage of those. The cost of the Italian is a bargain on any ship or land based vacation. The steakhouse is a feast, and some feel they don't get their dollars worth.

We had new cruisers over on our last trip and I used my Apple TV to show the shore excursions at 75" and they loved it. We had a blast with three families that were hesitant to leave the Port of Galveston on anything other than their Robalo 242.

My dad was a longshorman, and the cost of the Mardi Gras was high for seven nights. I returned the favor and took my parents on the Celebration in 2002 and he thought that ship was massive. Their health declined after, so the larger ships were never an option.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Indytraveler83 said:

Does Vista have Hibachi?  I thought it was added to the later ships of the class, but not to Vista.

1 hour ago, BallFour4 said:

Don't know how old your dad is, but I also sailed on the original Mardi Gras in 1976 at the ripe old age of 18. Since Carnival came here to Galveston in 2002 we have sailed everything with a funnel and most of those with a Viking Crown Lounge from the island. We loved them all except the Rhapsody.

February sailings will be void of younger kids, college kids and have lots of platinum and diamond cruisers aboard. I at 63 would be a youngster aboard that sailing.

The Vista is a nice ship, and a real departure from the Carnival soaring atrium's of their fleet. Most love it, a few don't and the rest fall in the middle. The biggest problem is people oversell their friends on Carnival. I will most likely get bashed for that, and I don't care. My wife and I will make diamond on the way to Alaska next summer, so I can say we set realistic expectations.

Hairy Chest Contests, Mixology, and a relaxed dress code turn some off from them, but with the size of the ship you can get lost from those activities.

Do this: take a look at my images from the Vista several years ago and share them with your dad.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/onKQT9YCFduQsJqSA  Let him see the features and what I see through the eyes of a Nikon.

Download the steakhouse and Italian restaurant menus and take advantage of those. The cost of the Italian is a bargain on any ship or land based vacation. The steakhouse is a feast, and some feel they don't get their dollars worth.

We had new cruisers over on our last trip and I used my Apple TV to show the shore excursions at 75" and they loved it. We had a blast with three families that were hesitant to leave the Port of Galveston on anything other than their Robalo 242.

My dad was a longshorman, and the cost of the Mardi Gras was high for seven nights. I returned the favor and took my parents on the Celebration in 2002 and he thought that ship was massive. Their health declined after, so the larger ships were never an option.

Thanks for all the tips! Sorry about your parents though.

It sounds to me like your dad doesn't like cruising. He likes doing some things that are available on a cruise but the boat part is just in the way. Everything he likes can be done on shore. Everything he doesn't like can only be done on a boat. Skip the boat.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Maybe better and more entertainment options will come back after the Covid BS is over and hopefully by the time you go in 2023.  My experience on the Panorama on March 12th sailing was not all that great.

Scream singing from the entertainment, the band on ocean plaza was so bad, I heard someone ask if there was karaoke going on but I told them no, they are paid. lol.  The DJs played the same 10 songs over and over and if I head one more "line" dance type song, I might just scream.  Everywhere the cruise director went for his little special events, the same old stuff with line dancing.

We tried the game show called something about 60 seconds or less thinking it might be fun, nope.  long and drawn out and games are impossible to win for the kids participating.  Another bust!

The comedians were absolutely terrible and hardly any laughs by the audience, one comedian even said, "oh you guys aren't into this"...lol again.

The people watching was extraordinary so that was the best entertainment all week!

We have another one booked on Miracle for DEC so I sure hope things turn around.

• Like 1

Sorry, but it sounds like Dad is the problem here ..  leave him home ... go on your cruise and enjoy yourselves.  He sounds way too high maintenance. 

Edited by F27TW
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Colorado Cruzer said:

Maybe better and more entertainment options will come back after the Covid BS is over and hopefully by the time you go in 2023.  My experience on the Panorama on March 12th sailing was not all that great.

Scream singing from the entertainment, the band on ocean plaza was so bad, I heard someone ask if there was karaoke going on but I told them no, they are paid. lol.  The DJs played the same 10 songs over and over and if I head one more "line" dance type song, I might just scream.  Everywhere the cruise director went for his little special events, the same old stuff with line dancing.

We tried the game show called something about 60 seconds or less thinking it might be fun, nope.  long and drawn out and games are impossible to win for the kids participating.  Another bust!

The comedians were absolutely terrible and hardly any laughs by the audience, one comedian even said, "oh you guys aren't into this"...lol again.

The people watching was extraordinary so that was the best entertainment all week!

We have another one booked on Miracle for DEC so I sure hope things turn around.

You sound fun....

Not all dads are the same. My dad is the reason why I developed a fascination with cruise ships. We started cruising as a family when I was a child in the 80’s. He would also show me photos and tell me stories of his sailings aboard classic ocean liners in the 50’s (he was even on the Ile De France when it rescued passengers from the Andrea Doria). 

But when it comes to modern day cruising, he will not set foot on a Carnival ship anymore. He’s been on three Carnival ships, and that’s enough for him. He now prefers a quieter, more refined, and  traditional experience. While he still loves cruising, Carnival is not his choice . 

So the big question is, what does your dad expect, and does Carnival match those expectations? Whatever your final choice is, I hope you can both enjoy a wonderful cruise together, no matter what cruise line or ship. 

• Like 1