COVID on QE

rakkor

The quiz team seems to be going from strength to strength without us which is disappointing. What is not disappointing is that they won today and donated their prize to us in our sickbeds which was very kind. So thank you very much @Camgirl Sarah and Andy and @BouncingWheel Mark and Pam for a lovely bottle of Merlot and we wish you every success in the next round.

• Like 7

On 3/26/2022 at 5:20 PM, watsonbeau said:

What would happen if you are quarantined onboard and your final port is in USA - so flying back to UK ? Would you then have to be quarantined in US ? 

Asking as am on QE in May - Southampton to San Francisco so flying back ! Thank you 

I've been reading news reports about the Ruby Princess which docked in San Francisco on Sunday with Covid cases on board after a Panama Canal cruise from Fort Lauderdale. The reports indicate what I had suspected would be the case per CDC guidelines. Those who had not completed their quarantine on board either went home by private transport or were sent to quarantine hotels in the area.

I have been reading on another forum that a similar situation applied to passengers (I think from the UK) who disembarked QM2 in New York Sunday after testing positive only a couple days earlier. They will be quarantining in a New York hotel.

Edited by bluemarble

Woke up this morning with a cough, runny nose and fuzzy head. Probably a cold but have done the right thing and notified the medical team. They have just tested Pam & I with LFTs so we are once again confined to quarters awaiting results. Unfortunately they confined @Camgirl too - I thought they would only do that if I tested positive - so sorry to disrupt your last cruise day.

Hopefully all 4 of us are still Covid free but, no matter what, I will stay in the cabin today anyway as don’t want to spread anything and the looks you are given if you cough or sneeze on here range from fear to scathing and I can do without that.

• Like 1

Jane has just taken another lateral flow test this morning and her very faint line from yesterday is now more pronounced, so she's now positive too. Understandable since she's been cooped up with me spreading germs around for the last 4 days.

7 hours ago, bluemarble said:

I've been reading news reports about the Ruby Princess which docked in San Francisco on Sunday with Covid cases on board after a Panama Canal cruise from Fort Lauderdale. The reports indicate what I had suspected would be the case per CDC guidelines. Those who had not completed their quarantine on board either went home by private transport or were sent to quarantine hotels in the area.

I have been reading on another forum that a similar situation applied to passengers (I think from the UK) who disembarked QM2 in New York Sunday after testing positive only a couple days earlier. They will be quarantining in a New York hotel.

Do the people on the QM2 have to pay the hotel themselves? Will their insurance cover it? Does Cunard cover that? Who covers that.

Edited by ace2542

I am full of admiration for our CC members who 'fessed up to being under the weather.

One would hope this is replicated with all passengers.

Safe journeys home once ashore and thank you for your collective input on this Northern Lights holiday.

• Like 5

We have both tested negative again. We had done our own lft's, so we knew we should be ok. 

Mark, I hope you don't feel too unwell and get better soon. I hope Pam stays negative. You did absolutely the right thing giving them our names.

However, I have to say, I'm pretty angry that it took over three hours for us to get a result back. This is in no way Bouncingwheel's fault, it is the company Cunard have onboard to do the testing. We have registered a complaint with the pursers desk. An lft does not take over 3 hours to give a result.

And, as to how many cases are on board with us, I believe there are now sections of decks 5, 6, 7 and 8 shut off. We are on 4 and seem to be the only fully open deck left now.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, BouncingWheel said:

I have tested positive and Pam is negative. We are both off to a quarantine cabin now for the last day night.

Please don’t speculate on how I got it as it could be a number of ways and we will never know and I can’t see how it helps anyone.

That confirms what Jane thinks, It's always my fault. I hope you're not feeling too unwell, It seems a bit of a waste of time for one night - I'd have thought they would start to run short of quarantine cabins by now.

Edited by rakkor
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, rakkor said:

, It seems a bit of a waste of time for one night

That does seem to defeat the purpose. Are there Covid tests for all passengers to leave the ship or just for the quarantine passengers? And who is paying for these tests? Have you been billed for them?

21 minutes ago, Camgirl said:

We have both tested negative again. We had done our own lft's, so we knew we should be ok. 

Mark, I hope you don't feel too unwell and get better soon. I hope Pam stays negative. You did absolutely the right thing giving them our names.

However, I have to say, I'm pretty angry that it took over three hours for us to get a result back. This is in no way Bouncingwheel's fault, it is the company Cunard have onboard to do the testing. We have registered a complaint with the pursers desk. An lft does not take over 3 hours to give a result.

And, as to how many cases are on board with us, I believe there are now sections of decks 5, 6, 7 and 8 shut off. We are on 4 and seem to be the only fully open deck left now.

Good on ya! Hope it stays that way? 

• Like 1

So sorry to hear of the latest covid cases.  I wish everyone a quick and sequella-free recovery, and a safe return home.  And thanks for bringing us along on your fateful cruise to the Arctic; your posts have been wonderful to read.  

• Like 2

We were talking to a member of staff this morning who thought at least 60 cabins are currently occupied by people who have tested positive.

@ace2542 no announcement to say covid tests for all passengers leaving the ship tomorrow - it is not a UK requirement.

A number of passengers have been sitting in the Commodore club this week sniffing and with continual coughs….I admire the honesty of those others who got themselves tested, knowing their cruise experience would be severely limited with a positive test result.

Edited by durante
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, durante said:

We were talking to a member of staff this morning who thought at least 60 cabins are currently occupied by people who have tested positive.

@ace2542 no announcement to say covid tests for all passengers leaving the ship tomorrow - it is not a UK requirement.

A number of passengers have been sitting in the Commodore club this week sniffing and with continual coughs….I admire the honesty of those others who got themselves tested, knowing their cruise experience would be severely limited with a positive test result.

Here, here!

We went up to the Commodore Club after our release this morning. Everyone around us was coughing and sneezing. We left in the end. We were wondering to ourselves just how many people have not bothered to admit to their symptoms and get tested. Especially at this late stage of the cruise. 

Rakkor and Bouncing wheel - we have just done appallingly badly in the music quiz without you all.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, durante said:

This is where Boris's "let's trust people to exercise common sense" falls down. A proportion just won't and with something as transmissible as this virus on a cruise ship, then it's a recipe for disaster.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Camgirl said:

Here, here!

We went up to the Commodore Club after our release this morning. Everyone around us was coughing and sneezing. We left in the end. We were wondering to ourselves just how many people have not bothered to admit to their symptoms and get tested. Especially at this late stage of the cruise. 

Rakkor and Bouncing wheel - we have just done appallingly badly in the music quiz without you all.

I take it that means there will be no more prize wine ? 

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, rakkor said:

This is where Boris's "let's trust people to exercise common sense" falls down. A proportion just won't and with something as transmissible as this virus on a cruise ship, then it's a recipe for disaster.

As maybe but you can't have cruise ships being like your cruise has been for months or years moving forward with dozens and sounds like should have been hundreds of people confined to the cabins? At some point Cunard will have to accept that this is the way it is going to be and just get on with the cruise.

Or maybe ship  wide LFTs on day 2 to catch the people that have covid but aren't caught on boarding because they aren't symptomatic yet ? You can't ley Covid run free through a ship of 2000 pensioners without some getting seriously ill.

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, rakkor said:

Or maybe ship  wide LFTs on day 2 to catch the people that have covid but aren't caught on boarding because they aren't symptomatic yet ? You can't ley Covid run free through a ship of 2000 pensioners without some getting seriously ill.

It is going to be interesting to see what happens with the Cunard and others out of Southampton when both the requirements to isolate etc end in April and also the free testing goes away. From my understand testing will no longer be free from next month. Who would pay for day 2 test for 2000 people?