COVID on QE

rakkor

1 hour ago, rakkor said:

Jane has stuck her head out of the stateroom door and there are trays outside seven of the doors and that is just our little bit

Will you get a refund or anything like that? With at least 14 confirmed infections perhaps you should especially as you probably aren't the cruise's patient zero and I don't think you can blame the infection on your tromso trip either? Doesn't it take like 3 to 5 days to become symptomatic? It sounds like this has hung about from a previous cruise.

10 hours ago, ace2542 said:

Did they establish how it got onboard in the first place? What are people saying about how it got onboard? And could you have said no we are not get locked in the cabin for 5 or 10 days we will get off the next port? Although making your way from Norway might be hard

Covid is rife in the UK (some seem to say 1 in 20 have it whilst others even worse). Therefore it is to be expected that it would get on here. Just because we all tested negative when we boarded doesn’t mean we all never had it and it wasn’t just incubating. I mention this as I honestly don’t believe there is a single patient zero (passenger or crew) and it is more likely to be a few people not knowing they had it. This is just the times we live in. If anything we spot it more here as we are testing whilst most in the UK aren’t anymore.

• Like 11

Given that we are still in a pandemic with figures currently high in UK I would assume that it is a case of you pays your money you takes a chance! Claim on insurance by all means if you can but why should a holiday/cruise line be responsible for a full refund if you are unlucky enough to catch COVID?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rakkor said:

All of this kerfuffle is messing up my blog writing, which some will say is no bad thing, but sitting in a quarantine room makes for dull reading.

I can see very few positives for you in this. The whole thing is wretched. But at least you didn't lose in the trivia today.

• Like 1

What would happen if you are quarantined onboard and your final port is in USA - so flying back to UK ? Would you then have to be quarantined in US ? 

Asking as am on QE in May - Southampton to San Francisco so flying back ! Thank you 

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

I can see very few positives for you in this. The whole thing is wretched. But at least you didn't lose in the trivia today.

No they lost in the morning and afternoon trivia quizzes - we started as a team and continued as best we can as a team 🤣

Newsflash - with Jim and Jane’s knowledge we would have tied 1st this morning but still lost on the tie break question. 

Maybe we need a separate QE Northern Lights Cruise Trivia Quiz thread

• Like 2

The service  we are now getting has vastly improved over our first few hours in quarantine. Obviously we as still in a standard balcony so don't have much room with our packed suitcases tying around. Cynthia on the concierge desk has been a fantastic resource refreshing glasses, mugs and coffee and even getting me some lemsips from the shop as well as emergency crisps for Jane.

We are getting calls from all departments asking if there's anything we require

Being stuck in the room isn't as bad as you'd think when you've come to terms with it.

• Like 8

35 minutes ago, rakkor said:

The service  we are now getting has vastly improved over our first few hours in quarantine. Obviously we as still in a standard balcony so don't have much room with our packed suitcases tying around. Cynthia on the concierge desk has been a fantastic resource refreshing glasses, mugs and coffee and even getting me some lemsips from the shop as well as emergency crisps for Jane.

We are getting calls from all departments asking if there's anything we require

Being stuck in the room isn't as bad as you'd think when you've come to terms with it.

Thats good. Has she sorted out your FCC?

Also, are you feeling OK in yourself and is Jane still Covid free?

• Like 1

No to the FCC - I'll take the website info over Cynthia on that - I'm feeling fine, Jane is convinced she's got it, but time will tell. The medical team are going to test us again today. I took my temp this morning  36.6C, down from 37.6C yesterday which is good

• Like 7

27 minutes ago, rakkor said:

No to the FCC - I'll take the website info over Cynthia on that - I'm feeling fine, Jane is convinced she's got it, but time will tell. The medical team are going to test us again today. I took my temp this morning  36.6C, down from 37.6C yesterday which is good

What happens if you both test negative today? Are you free to resume the cruise and return to your old cabin? Do you think you will test negative today?

Edited by ace2542

I wouldn't expect to test negative today as I'm only three days in and I've still got the sniffles - I would expect to have to have two negatives anyway to be released from quarantine

• Like 3

Captain apologised this morning for the reduced entertainment on offer due to extra Covid restrictions. No dance classes (dancing to background music is happening - maybe a band will come back later). Bit choppy today so decks are closed so it is all inside activities for what is left.

numbers seem about the same around the ship though @rakkormentioned his area is filling up - we are sure there have been a few familiar passenger faces that we haven’t seen in the last couple of days.

• Like 1

What a horror story..we were on the previous cruise with no suggestion of COVID onboard (as far as I know) but plenty of vulnerable people travelling. 

The isolation cabins sound a dramatic measure but I’m sure Ali our PG host will have taken care of you.

• Like 1

Jane's just had a test, no need for me to have one, and the medic asked if she was crew or passenger so there are obviously a mix on our bit of the quarantine cabins. We now wait in trepidation

• Like 2

7 hours ago, rakkor said:

Your attitude is quite impressive rakkor. That you have also taken the time to keep the rest of us informed and educated, under the circumstances , is greatly appreciated. We are booked on the May 8th QM2 Crossing and the thought of getting COVID while onboard has been in the back of my mind. While we remain positive, optimistic and eager about the voyage, should there be some sort of bump in the road, I will keep you attitude in mind. 

Jack

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Don't get me wrong, we're pretty peeved about it, but as has been said already, these are the risks you take if you want to cruise. It has put Jane off our next cruise as she's not keen on risking ending up in quarantine again missing a lump of the cruise.

• Like 1

Thank you very much for keeping us informed. You are providing a quite valuable service for the rest of us, especially those of us who will soon be onboard. I hope that Jane remains covid-free and that you have a speedy recovery.

Meanwhile, your experience has triggered an interesting debate within our household. I had assumed that, if she tested positive, Kathy would want me to move with her to the isolation cabin (and vice versa). But she says that, as long as I'm still negative, it would be better for me to stay in the original cabin. That way I'd be in a better position to deal with the ship's staff, if needed, and would be better able to make arrangements and help her when we arrive in Southampton. (It might be that, after 53 years of listening to my alleged snoring, she sees this as an opportunity to get a good night's sleep, but let's not go there.) Any thoughts from you or other experienced travelers?

33 minutes ago, rakkor said:

Don't get me wrong, we're pretty peeved about it, but as has been said already, these are the risks you take if you want to cruise. It has put Jane off our next cruise as she's not keen on risking ending up in quarantine again missing a lump of the cruise.

I don't think it will be like that with having to quarantine for much longer onboard if you get ill. You don't quarantine for flu do you? And there are clearly far more cases onboard than are known about and there seems to be is no stomach for testing people who possibly display symptoms so I can't see that going on much longer.

Edited by ace2542

Just now, rakkor said:

Well, well - Jane's second test has come back negative and the sore throat and cough are all an act to garner sympathy.

Hopefully she stays that way, it just shows that there are other bugs around and not all coughing is Covid. Hope you're both feeling better soon.

Thanks again for keeping us updated.

• Like 1

The medic did say she wasn't out of the woods yet, and may yet test positive. When it came to splitting up or staying together, it made sense to stay together, especially for me as my mobility is quite limited, but also just for someone to talk to.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, rakkor said:

Well, well - Jane's second test has come back negative and the sore throat and cough are all an act to garner sympathy.

Hope she stays that way.

It does show though, how fickle this darned virus is.

Mandatory masks in lifts please.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Hope she stays that way.

It does show though, how fickle this darned virus is.

Mandatory masks in lifts please.

They are, getting people to wear them correctly is a different matter, some people think noses are optional

• Haha 1

I just put the dinner trays out after a surprisingly nice Gala dinner and Jane wasn't lying about the number of trays outside rooms, it looks like all on this section are occupied. When I say surprisingly nice I mean, lying in your sickbed doesn't lend itself to enjoying a three course dinner.

• Like 1