Asking for extra appetizer and entries at mdr

8 minutes ago, cantgetaname said:

If I order an extra dessert in the mdr and I don't finish it will they allow me to bring it back to my cabin?

Absolutely.  They'll even put a cover on it and wrap up some silverware in a napkin for you.

And if you order the Apple Blossom without the ice cream, you can tell yourself it's an Apple Pastry and have it for breakfast the next morning!

• Like 4

9 hours ago, SRF said:

I agree that lobster night has been the second "formal" night on RCI.  But every time I have sailed, they had prime rib on the menu on lobster night.  I have done the surf and turf almost every time.

If you are in Chops, you need to specify the MDR lobster, not the Chops lobster. 😄

I guess we have sailed on different ships because Prime Rib was not on the  menu on lobster night.  Looking at the next 2 cruises I have, Harmony and Allure, the night lobster is served has the filet, not Prime rib and that's what been served in the MDR for the last several of our cruise, both Pre and since the restart with Covid.  

I do have to admit that we have only sailed Oasis class ships and a few Freedom cruises were thrown in the last 10 years.

Clearly the menu has changed since some of you sailed.  Lobster night on the Liberty matches everyone else's recent experience -- no prime rib, only filet. On our 7 night WC, the MDR had prime rib on nights 1 and 4.  Lobster was night 6 with the tenderloin or the NY strip (which is there every night).

If you're still in doubt, you can get the current menu for any ship via the app... 

Screenshot_20220330-173019_Royal.jpg

Edited by Lane Hog

On 3/25/2022 at 8:06 PM, snoopycr said:

Is it OK to ask for extra appetizers or entrees during mdr on a royal Caribbean cruise? 

Will they charge you more? 

Ask and they will provide. Have never once had a problem with getting additional appetizers or entrées. The staff have  always been more than accommodating. 

6 hours ago, cantgetaname said:

If I order an extra dessert in the mdr and I don't finish it will they allow me to bring it back to my cabin?

Yes, but they don’t really have to go containers.  be prepared to carry a plate with a plastic cover on it around the ship on your way back (which could be totally worth it).

• Like 1

On 3/25/2022 at 8:06 PM, snoopycr said:

Is it OK to ask for extra appetizers or entrees during mdr on a royal Caribbean cruise? 

Will they charge you more? 

No they will not charge you more, and what man doesn’t?  

Help yourself, and don’t forget to ask for the pumpkin seed bread.  it is really good, and not always available.  

JC

• Like 1

I tend to look with "discernment" at what is offered...  (  😁  )  I have NO reservation in asking for multiple appetizers OR main courses.  Sometimes I get NO appetizer and 2 main dishes and no dessert.  Mix and match is your friend.  It is your vacation and RCL is trained to respond with "Sure, Why Not!"

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CatLadyFemme said:

Yes, but they don’t really have to go containers.  be prepared to carry a plate with a plastic cover on it around the ship on your way back (which could be totally worth it).

I've actually considered bringing some of those cheap plastic containers to slip into my bag... then I could go straight to a show without detouring back to the room to drop off the plate!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Biker19 said:

You might be disappointed the next time - pretty sure on every ship now (including Enchantment), it's as @brillohead describes - they moved prime rib to the first night.

OK, I will have to suffer through a tenderloin with my lobster. 😄

16 hours ago, Lane Hog said:

Clearly the menu has changed since some of you sailed.  Lobster night on the Liberty matches everyone else's recent experience -- no prime rib, only filet. On our 7 night WC, the MDR had prime rib on nights 1 and 4.  Lobster was night 6 with the tenderloin or the NY strip (which is there every night).

If you're still in doubt, you can get the current menu for any ship via the app... 

Screenshot_20220330-173019_Royal.jpg

Hmm, I not even seeing the menu's for our 4/24 sailing, much less other ships.

And there is not one menu or order of menus for the fleet.  I was looking at the room attendant's cart on one cruise (in a suite so MDR menu was left daily) and there were over 20 menus.  And they did not get used in numerical order.

44 minutes ago, SRF said:

And there is not one menu or order of menus for the fleet.  I was looking at the room attendant's cart on one cruise (in a suite so MDR menu was left daily) and there were over 20 menus.  And they did not get used in numerical order.

I suspect there's one menu order for the ship or even the port, so that the frozen/cold/fresh storage areas are staged accordingly on turnaround (Day 7 items are first loaded, Day 1 is last loaded), which implies that the order of trucks arriving at the pier has to be coordinated.

Edited by Lane Hog
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, SRF said:

Again, things have changed and yes, most ships use the same menu in the same order (for sailings 7 days or less in the US market). The info in the app gets more complete/accurate as you get closer to your sailing - you can look at other closer in sailings for info.

• Like 1

Again, how to see other ships menus or our menus. 

Oops, I just found them.  Typical RCI.

If I go to Main Dining room, there is no menus.  But if I go to My Time Dining, the menus show up.  Yes, we are signed up for My Time Dining.

And yes, they are now showing beef tenderloin on lobster night (Night 6 of 10).

On 3/26/2022 at 9:13 PM, donaldsc said:

Re the multiple orderers, I would tell the wait staff that I need to get somewhere at a specific time so please serve me promptly w/o letting the person who orders everything hold me up.  We have done that on occasion when we wanted to be sure that we got seats at a show or at another on board event.   The waitstaff will do their best to accommodate you.  I guess that if everyone at the table did that, that would leave the multiple orderers alone at the table at the end of the meal.

DON

Yes! I'm not sure about RCI, but on aNother Cruise Line, servers are instructed not to clear a course and serve the next until everyone at the table has finished that course, and since multiple of anything will be served sequentially, it delays the entire table. So if you need to finish by a certain time, even if no one orders multiples, you should always advise the server, but especially when sharing a table with passengers whose plans may be different from yours.

On 3/29/2022 at 6:05 PM, BND said:

They are more than willing to bring more out and in a lot of cases will bring out items that weren't even ordered so people can try them. 

On the Serenade in 2019, I happened to have the same servers every night but one. There also happened to be crab in some form on the menu every night except that one, and my servers always offered to add a crab garnish to any other main course. I don't eat shellfish, but they never stopped offering, and seemed disappointed that I didn't accept.

10 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

Yes! I'm not sure about RCI, but on aNother Cruise Line, servers are instructed not to clear a course and serve the next until everyone at the table has finished that course, and since multiple of anything will be served sequentially, it delays the entire table. So if you need to finish by a certain time, even if no one orders multiples, you should always advise the server, but especially when sharing a table with passengers whose plans may be different from yours.

On our last cruise, the Allure in December, we had MTD, we literally had different wait staff every single night of an 8 night cruise.  It was just the DW and I at our table.  We would order all items we wanted, a typical order for me would be appetizers of Escargot and shrimp cocktail, a salad, an entree sometimes two, and a dessert.  This all happened before any food was served.  The wait staff would serve 1 appetizer, and a couple of minutes later the second appetizer, then then salad, then 1 or two entrees and then a dessert.  I think the longest dinner we had was about 70 minutes from the time we sat down til the time we walked out of the dining room.  Plus the assistant waiter was looking for the pumpkin seed rolls, and bringing me a couple of glasses of wine.  

So, if you are worried about getting delayed, I highly recommend requesting a table for two.  I love how quickly we were able to do dinner as a table of two.  

• Like 1