Silverse Dawn Maiden Voyage and Naming Ceremony; March 31st - April 18

WesW

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thanks for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic"

WesW was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

As good friend Rich Wiseman often says before one of his cruises, "am going to set the table for my next Silversea cruise," even though it's a few days prior to embarkation.

A sign of the times for beginning any new voyage in the Covid era--will be leaving in shortly to take my Covid PCR test. Assuming a negative test result tomorrow--will then fly to Lisbon to join Silversea's newest ship, The Silver Dawn for it's maiden voyage (17 day) Lisbon to Rome on April 1st.

Have been fortunate to be invited by Silversea to attend the formal Silver Dawn Naming Ceremony during a black-tie gala event in Lisbon March 31st. A ship’s naming ceremony is a milestone occasion, steeped in tradition, on which a cruise line officially welcomes a new ship to its fleet. The event will be hosted by Roberto Martinoli, President & CEO of Silversea cruises with the company of Jason Liberty, President and CEO of Royal Caribbean Group.

This Thursday, Will board the Silver Dawn at the Lisbon cruise terminal at 4pm, Silversea is providing complimentary Covid antigen testing if you need a test prior to boarding. Will get to enjoy observing and touring the Dawn's public spaces from 4-6pm. At 6pm the formal naming ceremony begins in the Venetian Lounge on Deck 5. From 7 pm until 7:30 pm there are Cocktail Receptions around the ship. Then at 7:30pm there is a Gala dinner in one of the ship's restaurants. Will found out which restaurant I will enjoy the Gala dinner in, when my formal invitation is handed to me on boarding the Silver Dawn. From 9:30pm on Silversea will provide complimentary transfers for guests going back to their hotels. This event ends at 11:30pm.

On April 1st, will use Premier Tours of Lisbon to transfer to the pier for embarkation of the Dawn's Maiden voyage--yipee!!

We will have our combined informal (since formal Meet & Mingles r on pause) Meet & Greet with Silversea Passengers Group (14) and Silversea Cruise Critic members (15)on April 2nd. Looking forward to meeting fellow Silversea guests.

Will also coordinate with the Silver Dawn Hotel Director Paolo, to hopefully do a couple of behind the scenes Silver Dawn crew member profiles to share here. These are profiles of the crew that works behind the scenes (e.g., dry cleaning team, provision team, galley team) that do not get told thank you but who are instrumental in us enjoying every cruise. This has been a favorite activity of mine in the last ten years cruising on Silversea--getting to meet these hard working crew and learning about their duties and their families.

And look very forward to cruising again with Hotel Director Paolo, Head Sommelier Kire, and La Dame Maitre'D Gustavo (dinner in Le Dame on April 3rd).

276943373_716787116148076_4648723514350361544_n.jpg

Edited by WesW
  • Like 10

Have a great trip, Wes! Hopefully with the extra time they had due to all the schedule changes, the maiden voyage will be smoother (operationally) than some maiden voyages of the past. 😉 I'm sure they will take great care of you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi Wes, a month ago I was scheduled to fly out today and would be on the ship with you for 18 days...........life got in the way and now I will have to wait until June to sail her.

Wishing you a wonderful maiden voyage and a marvelous time all around.

Smooth sailing and fair seas🙂

• Like 1

Enjoy the evening tonight, and safe and smooth sailing on the Dawn.  We’re currently on the Regent Explorer, and will be in port with you in Palma De Mallorca on April 7th. I wonder I’d it’s possible to get a Venetian Society visit. I doubt it, with Covid. However, we look forward to seeing her, and sailing on her first TA in December from Lisbon to Miami 

• Like 1

Magical Naming ceremony for the Silver Dawn tonight in Lisbon.  First, we had wonderful bagpipes entertain us, an exquisite violinist and then two exceptional dancers perform before the Masters of Ceremony Peter Greenfield began the formal portion.  We heard from the CEO of Royal Cairrbena, Silversea, and the Godmother (Nilou Motamed (food journalist )the Silver Dawn. We then enjoyed cocktails aroun the Dawn (dolce vita on deck 5, panorama lounge on deck 9) followed by a delicious gala 5 course gala dinner

06509419-70BD-4125-9F41-FAF1B24C0740.jpeg

21AB248F-3680-4DDB-BC63-3ACDB503F8C4.jpeg

5B46B1C1-B3AA-462D-B228-F3FF2B6AEAFC.jpeg

1C465C02-BE1A-48A7-ACD1-49586C54C87E.jpeg

30D4869D-8078-4567-B741-21E0BC9F005C.jpeg

0188C12A-17A9-4A22-98A3-A2423375CA87.jpeg

Edited by WesW
  • Like 2

Now on board the beatifully stunning Silversea Silver Dawn.  In just a few minutes will have the mandatory lifeboat drill.

Due to Covid protocols practiced rigorously by Portugal at the cruise terminal we waited about two hours from 1pm to 3pm to board the Silver Dawn.  Fortunately, I did not have to wait longer than most passengers as the Portugal cruise medical authorities administered a Covid Antigens test to me yesterday.

First photo below is of Jorge Bras, owner of Premeir tours in Lisbon.  Jorge showed Ida and I his beautiful country 12 years ago before we boarded the Silver Spirit for the maiden crossing.  Jorge is the best private tour guide I have had in 34 cruises by a wide margin—passionate, knowledgeable and engaging he and his team will endear their beloved country to you

I went directly to the Silver Dawn pool grill for a light lunch before heading to the suite to unpack.  Immediately, Wendy and Peter Halliwell called me over to join them for lunch before our suites were ready at 4pm.  The second photo is of us smiling to be back on a Silversea ship again—we were last together on the last Silversea sailing during covid—the Silver Cloud Ushuaia to Capetown in March 2020

1D7C9C02-4004-4E7D-9CD7-3EA210041CD4.jpeg

97632344-24F2-4E44-BDFE-BE927C8D2B6E.jpeg

Wonderful Silver Dawn Silversea Passengers Group Meet and Greet. We had about 25 folks attend.  Camila the Dawn future cruise consultant opened our Meet and Greet.  Then each on of us introduced themselves and shared their favorite Silversea voyage.  Terrific Cruise Ccomraderie.  Again thanks to Tony Hanks, Silversea and the Silver Dawn leadership, especially the Dawn’s Hotel Director Paolo Percivale for enabling this Silversea Passenger Meet and Greet .

CDCB9C3B-A2DC-4755-AFFC-9DD06E759EC7.jpeg

AB3B42CC-A745-4269-83EA-F92E76A5E494.jpeg

AF46ECED-1D81-4E50-B95C-3844741A4184.jpeg

Edited by WesW

2 hours ago, WesW said:

Wonderful Silver Dawn Silversea Passengers Group Meet and Greet. We had about 25 folks attend.  Camila the Dawn future cruise consultant opened our Meet and Greet.  Then each on of us introduced themselves and shared their favorite Silversea voyage.  Terrific Cruise Ccomraderie.  Again thanks to Tony Hanks, Silversea and the Silver Dawn leadership, especially the Dawn’s Hotel Director Paolo Percivale for enabling this Silversea Passenger Meet and Greet .

CDCB9C3B-A2DC-4755-AFFC-9DD06E759EC7.jpeg

AB3B42CC-A745-4269-83EA-F92E76A5E494.jpeg

AF46ECED-1D81-4E50-B95C-3844741A4184.jpeg

It was great to meet you at last Wes - and thank you so much organising the Meet & Greet session. The Dawn sure is an awesome ship - and I suspect will be at the top of our list of favourites in the coming years.

• Like 1

You’re very welcome machotspur!

Wonderful self -walking tour of Cadiz per Wiki “one of the oldest continuously inhabited cities in Western Europe, with archaeological remains dating to the 12th century BC,[5][6][7][8] was founded by the Phoenicians.[9] It has been a principal home port of the Spanish Navy since the accession of the Spanish Bourbons in the 18th century. It is also the site of the University of Cádiz.

Situated on a narrow slice of land surrounded by the sea‚ Cádiz is, in most respects, a typically Andalusian city with well-preserved historical landmarks.”.  Even came across La terraza. please enjoy a few walking tour snaps — at Cadiz Cruise Terminal , Spain.

7E2415DE-B723-444C-B07B-40B30AFDEF2C.jpeg

7F5DE00A-7E33-4FAB-8DD2-66FE5AB1A06E.jpeg

3B75CEA8-CB58-4B4B-BE41-4F95B676F7B4.jpeg

A963C2F5-E248-4825-A8EF-4187620887E6.jpeg

7F4948EC-31E3-4C98-B4AA-F4D8B785D466.jpeg

C6F4EB65-276C-4886-AF13-E6E8383A0BC9.jpeg

574A9F9A-8D92-48BB-9274-6588D1E1A6EA.jpeg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, WesW said:

Wonderful self -walking tour of Cadiz per Wiki “one of the oldest continuously inhabited cities in Western Europe, with archaeological remains dating to the 12th century BC,[5][6][7][8] was founded by the Phoenicians.[9] It has been a principal home port of the Spanish Navy since the accession of the Spanish Bourbons in the 18th century. It is also the site of the University of Cádiz.

Situated on a narrow slice of land surrounded by the sea‚ Cádiz is, in most respects, a typically Andalusian city with well-preserved historical landmarks.”.

Thanks Wes. We will be in Cadiz in July and have plotted out our own self walking tour and your photos have whetted my appetite even more. We will be in port till 11pm and are hoping to see flamenco since there are a few places near the port that have shows. Will you get a chance to do the same? If so could you let me know the name of the place?

Julie

• Like 2

Thanks for taking the time to share your pics Wes.   Would it be possible for you to enquire if they have any non-alcoholic beer on the Dawn and which make(s)? Some are pretty bad! A member of our party has been advised that it is preferable that he not drink due to his meds.  

SILVER DAWN suite advice. Can someone now on the Dawn help with this:

We are about to make a booking, Transatlantic on the Dawn, but have some questions regarding suite choice. Some years ago on a Transatlantic on the Shadow we were in Silver Suite 729 below the Pool deck and were bothered by the noise from the Pool Deck the whole trip and subsequently in the Owners Suite on the Whisper we had the same problem. We are looking at the Owners Suite on the Dawn but do not want to repeat the problem especially in the early hours when the deck hands are cleaning and moving lounge chairs?

Since it is possible that the Newer Ships have more sound proofing could Wes or someone on board or who has been on board advise us if it is still a problem in the suites below the Pool Deck ?

We are also looking at S.S.930 near the elevators. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Saw the beautiful Silver Dawn sailing in to Palma De Palma this morning while enjoying coffee on the lanai on Regent Explorer this morning. A picture perfect day for her visit.She looked just as beautiful as we just passed her leaving port.

41403BA0-8D1E-4D2C-B0CE-CEEC4B051963.jpeg

4C74495C-A8EB-479B-B693-2E3105DF19F2.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing🙂.....I was supposed to be sailing her right now but had to have surgery😦and so everything was postponed.......looking at the photos is making me melancholy during my recovery.

14 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Hope things are  going well, Lois - and that you will be cruising soon.

Lola

Thanks Lola. I appreciate it.  I have a cruise booked for late June.

We are also on this cruise.  Great food, great service and the Marvelous Vicky as our cruise director.  No complaints here.

I guess Wes abandoned the thread after he made sure we all knew he was at the “naming ceremony”😜😜!!!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3