Coastal Kitchen vs MDR

Like everything else experience is pretty much based on the ship, the date of sailing, the itinerary and can vary widely. 

Our two times in a JS,  CK was  good. Very nice atmosphere and we ended up eating there 5 out of 7 nights. (MDR one night, specialty dining one night).  The food however is the same as the MDR, except both experiences on lobster night in the MDR they had some sort of lame lobster pasta dish in CK that was disappointing.

A tip...go up to the CK the first afternoon on board and book for that night or do the MDR the first night and then book the CK the next day during the afternoon.  Once in, you can book the next night after dinner.   Compare the two and see which one you like better.  We had no trouble booking every night though sometimes we had to take a later time.

Edited by mac66

1 hour ago, topnole said:

And with breakfast you can easily order or walk over and grab a specialty coffee. Breakfast is just so much more relaxing and enjoyable in the CK.  

Very convenient door at the back of CK on Odyssey, the waiters walk straight out to the WJ (bar and specialty coffee machine directly across).  

Totally agree...we love, love CK on Odyssey.  The service is top notch and they remember you.   We had almost all of our meals in there for 2 weeks last month.  The view...wow...floor to ceiling over the ocean.  Much better view, IMHO, than Oasis class. 

21 minutes ago, island lady said:

Very convenient door at the back of CK on Odyssey, the waiters walk straight out to the WJ (bar and specialty coffee machine directly across).  

Totally agree...we love, love CK on Odyssey.  The service is top notch and they remember you.   We had almost all of our meals in there for 2 weeks last month.  The view...wow...floor to ceiling over the ocean.  Much better view, IMHO, than Oasis class. 

I'm still surprised they let NSPP's in for breakfast😉

I've been flat out refused on every Oasis ship I've been on

2 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

I'm still surprised they let NSPP's in for breakfast😉

I've been flat out refused on every Oasis ship I've been on

Just bring Laura with you....that smile will get you both into whatever you want.  😄 

But...since we booked Odyssey at last minute...could only get into a JS last month.  On our "welcome letter" we were invited in for breakfast and lunch.  But have not been on Oasis class in less than a GS.  Strange the difference...but...RCI:  Really Consistently Inconsistent.  😉 

• Like 1

I think CK is overrated…. But that’s just me. They use to have Halibut on the menu and don’t know if they still do on any night but my Halibut was still frozen in the middle. A lot of people swear by CK though. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, bigque said:

I think CK is overrated…. But that’s just me. They use to have Halibut on the menu and don’t know if they still do on any night but my Halibut was still frozen in the middle. A lot of people swear by CK though. 

You were lucky. The last time we ate there DW had salmon that could have doubled as a cobblestone. 

6 hours ago, island lady said:

I agree...having breakfast and lunch in CK is a perk we totally enjoy!  Even more so than dinner. 🙂 

Hey Pat. We didn’t do dinner much.  It was good but we enjoy the MDR as much and some specialty restaurants more.

So I was seeing if there might be an opportunity to cruise with you and Bucky.  With a new grand baby on the way in September we are looking Mid October through November.  Looks like you will be overseas.  Maybe sometime next year.

• Like 1

We were on Symphony in March and loved CK for dinner!  Everything we had was delicious, service was excellent and the atmosphere so much nicer and quieter than the MDR.  Dinner was just a really enjoyable experience every night.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Hey Pat. We didn’t do dinner much.  It was good but we enjoy the MDR as much and some specialty restaurants more.

So I was seeing if there might be an opportunity to cruise with you and Bucky.  With a new grand baby on the way in September we are looking Mid October through November.  Looks like you will be overseas.  Maybe sometime next year.

Would love to cruise with you again!  🙂  

Indeed we are tad busy at that time period.  We fly into Barcelona on the 14th, board Wonder on the 16th for two loops around the Med...then stay on for the TA back to the states for two weeks.  Looking forward to bringing Wonder into her new home port (my local port of Port Canaveral!).  🤗

• Like 1