?'s For those that have successfully used VeriFLY to checkin

bar1068

We're looking at possibly using VeriFLY to check in to our cruise later this month. I've read accounts of it not working, not being accepted at various ports or even by the rep checking someone it, but also have read accounts of the "tons of time saved" by using the app. That last part I have my doubts about. We've only cruised twice since the restart, last September on the Pride out of Baltimore and Magic from Port Canaveral in November. Both check in's were VERY efficient for us even with showing the additional docs for vax and testing verification. Shoot, in September from parking the car in B'more to boarding the ship, may have taken 15 minutes. In November we checked in quickly, but there was a delaying clearing the ship so we sat in terminal for a short while until boarding started, not a big deal to us. 

Something I've seen a few times for those that have used VeriFLY is that they used it to verify their passports/id? I don't see in the app where to load passport info, I'm not sure I even would. My view is the only thing it will be good for is one spot for my vax info and covid test, but I'd still have to show a boarding pass and ID? Either way, not sure I see much of a time savings, with the potential still of having to show printed docs if VeriFLY is a no go for some reason. 

So I'm curious of folks experience using the app to check in, particularly if the app was used to verify ID or loaded passport info into the app.  These glowing remarks of seen about how folks were checked in, in "seconds" seem a bit exaggerated, but...thought I'd see what others have to say here.

Thanks.

Loved it. Approached the CS rep at the terminal. She asked if we used Verifly....said "yup". Showed her phone, wifes info...then mine. Took about 30 seconds.

When we used it, it seemed like Carnival was still "testing" it. Reps from the company were standing behind each CS rep. Rep had a stopwatch to see how long it took. That's how I know it was 30 seconds 🙂

Edited by pc_load_letter
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I agree, all of the time and effort you put into Verifly doesn’t seem worth it. Maybe in the past it would have been worth it. Because there was some crazy crowds, long lines, and minimal personnel in the past. But now the way they are doing the staggered check in (and strongly enforcing it) has eliminated the long lines. Plus you no longer need to take photos since they use your passport photo. So check in is really quick and seamless. Check in for our cruise in February was the fastest we’ve ever experienced (we’ve been cruising over 20 years). The lines were short and there were tons of personnel on hand to briefly check our documents and send us on through. From entering the building to being on the ship it took less than 20 minutes. 

• Like 2

I used it in New Orleans.  I didn't have to show anything other than the Verifly app on my phone.  I had all the paperwork if I needed it, but it was nice just showing her the app.

Those of you saying it takes too long to set up.... it doesn't.  It was quick and painless.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, chasinraynbowz said:

I used it in New Orleans.  I didn't have to show anything other than the Verifly app on my phone.  I had all the paperwork if I needed it, but it was nice just showing her the app.

Those of you saying it takes too long to set up.... it doesn't.  It was quick and painless.

Agreed.  Sailed out of Galveston in December and the lines took forever.  We had four people, so it did take some time to go through all of the paperwork.  In March in New Orleans, it was the exact opposite.  No lines, flashed the Verifly checkmark and went right on through.

• Like 2

We sailed a couple weeks ago out of Jax and it saved a ton of time… people we spending 20+ minutes get checked in that didn’t do it.   Once you get the green circle around your picture that was all that they looked at, nothing else for Covid related

I was in Miami on Conquest two weeks ago. It was the easiest check-in ever. Showed our boarding pass to enter the terminal. Before going through security, there was a table where they checked Verifly. Once through security and upstairs at checkin, they scanned our passports. That was it. We boarded, did our muster check-in, and I have a photo of my daughter in Lido with food with a timestamp of 11:14.

Debarkation was the same. Facial recognition took only as long as it took to lower the mask. We pretty much didn't stop walking at all.

IMG_0729.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

It was very useful. Our check in time was a total of 10 minutes. We still had to show our passport, vac card, and negative test BUT only once. And getting off the ship was a breeze (I don't know if verFLY was responsible)--Customs was quick.

2 hours ago, bar1068 said:

Hmmmm…Interesting comments. Unless I’m reading some of them wrong, with the VeriFLY app there is no need to show a boarding pass or a passport or birth certificate and ID?

You show your boarding pass, passport, and Verifly information. 

We have used it 4 times.  The first two were problematic, as it was breaking in.  The last two it worked fine.  It was acquired to make embarkation easier.  If people use it, it will make the process significantly easier.  It is being used by dozens of companies with hundreds of thousands of uses a year.  It was acquired NOT just for covid.  

People are reticent for change by nature,  When you add technology to that change, it gets worse.  It is just the way that works.  

6 hours ago, chasinraynbowz said:

We used it two weeks ago in New Orleans as well. Same experience. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, bar1068 said:

Hmmmm…Interesting comments. Unless I’m reading some of them wrong, with the VeriFLY app there is no need to show a boarding pass or a passport or birth certificate and ID?

To use Verifly you have to input your booking number and it checks to see who is on that booking. 

• Like 1

Last Sunday we used it in Tampa. Our agent asked if we had it, we did, showed it to her but yet she still wanted to see negative covid test. Right beside us our daughter was checking in and her agent only needed to see Verifly.

2 hours ago, rs45thompson said:

Are they using Verifly at all the ports?

There was a press announcement they were.  It is a fairly big adjustment for the staff to learn tho.  I am sure in some of the more recent opening home ports it might still be iffy.

7 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

To use Verifly you have to input your booking number and it checks to see who is on that booking. 

Totally get that. We cruise the end of this month. I dl'ed the app, and input all information I can at this point. Negative covid test is all thats left to input a couple of days prior to sailing.

What I'm looking for is more "accurate" accounts of how well the app works and any time savings. I've seen posts on various social media outlets of how folks "breezed through checkin"...some saying all they showed to checkin was the app. No mention of showing a boarding pass, bc, passport, nothing but the app, which I don't think is the case. And with Carnival going through some "growing pains" implementing it at various ports, and the seemingly minor or little time savings, I'm thinking it's not really worth it, unless Carnival was to require it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

There was a press announcement they were.  It is a fairly big adjustment for the staff to learn tho.  I am sure in some of the more recent opening home ports it might still be iffy.

Thank you!  We are going out of Port Canaveral Saturday.  Do you know if they are using it?

8 minutes ago, JandPB said:

I just downloaded it for our 4/23 Magic sailing. I haven't gone through the app yet. Do we both have to have the app or will it accommodate both of us on my phone? Thanks. 

~PB

We tried it on one phone and the internet in the building was spotty.  The last time we had it on two phones and it seemed to go easier

• Like 1

Most of us used it last week in Baltimore, but one of our party of 5 used paper.  Frankly I don't think the paper review took much longer than showing VeriFly, many 10 seconds.  Overall, boarding in Baltimore was slooooow.  And crowded.  We are booked for another cruise out of Baltimore in August.  If VeriFly is being used we will use it now that we have learned how.  Best of luck!  m--