Internet in room: Can connect with phone but timed out on Win10 laptop

fstuff1

Currently on Getaway.

I can connect and surf with my phone in my room but I time out getting to logout.com with my laptop.

It worked fine yesterday!

Nothing changed on my laptop.

Ship internet person was no help.

Any ideas?

Edited by fstuff1

You may be limited by the number of devices you can connect with your account.

What you can try is, turn your phone in to a mobile hotspot by connecting your phone to the ships wifi and then connecting your computer to your phone. However this is just for testing purposes and not meant to actually work to do stuff like work from your laptop.

Good luck and safe travels,

- WYB

8 minutes ago, WYB! said:

What you can try is, turn your phone in to a mobile hotspot by connecting your phone to the ships wifi and then connecting your computer to your phone

Be cautious with these suggestions.  Not all phones can do this, the hotspot functionality usually is for sharing the cellular connection over WiFi, not another WiFi connection.

32 minutes ago, WYB! said:

You may be limited by the number of devices you can connect with your account.

What you can try is, turn your phone in to a mobile hotspot by connecting your phone to the ships wifi and then connecting your computer to your phone. However this is just for testing purposes and not meant to actually work to do stuff like work from your laptop.

Good luck and safe travels,

- WYB

I was not connected  to internet on  the phone when I tried to connect on the laptop.

Will try to hotspot the phone while on wifi next time.

My cheap Android 10 phone can't do that but I'm currently on Samsung S7 (Android 8). Let's see if Samsung can do it

Edited by fstuff1

48 minutes ago, fstuff1 said:

Samsung S7 (Android 8). Let's see if Samsung can do it

Most likely not, sharing of a WiFi connection is more likely with a newer device than an older one, especially one as old as that.

23 minutes ago, hallux said:

Most likely not, sharing of a WiFi connection is more likely with a newer device than an older one, especially one as old as that.

Yeah, I just tried it.

Turning on hotspot turns off WiFi 😞

When i was on the Getaway back in February i had the same problem all of the ship.It seems to be an issue with ships internal network. I also noticed they are some parts of the day that works better then others

Due to some similar problems a few years ago, the internet manager on board informed about the following:

• Wifi connection is usually better in some spots on board, like near the "internet cafe", in the atrium or outdoor on pooldeck and above.
  • Wifi connetions are absolutely worse on seadays - because so many are trying to connect at the same time

@fstuff1 Hi, Henry again ... DW and I sitting in the atrium lobby & iCafe manager is there now, go grab & talk to him again. We can confirm that the WiFi signal is better & stronger here, she can play her online game here - that's very sluggish upstairs in our stateroom.  I tried all the tricks in my bag too, its likely a problem upstream with the satellite's signal & bandwidth.  The Breakaway, Escape and Gem's WiFi INTERnet are better than the GA, not good with just 1,700 guests boarding tomorrow - can't imagine the traffic jams next week with 2,700 guests or 3,000+ the week after. 

We also have issues with the integrated calling app, fine to text or SMS each other but voice call not going true, ring on the calling side - silence on the receiving side. Calling log would later show missed calls.

I will run a few diagnostic tests shortly to see ... Couldn't readily connect the Fire HD 10 tablet either, which I used mainly with offline contents.

Live Getaway inside the Tropicana MDR.  Results speak for itself - usable but ... Basic DSL speed-like dial-up, land speed 15+ years ago.  This is WiFi 4 on 5 Ghz band, hybrid high orbit satellite at sea ... I am going to look for those hotspot routers, likely overdue for a mesh-like system.

Screenshot_20220402-182029.png

Screenshot_20220402-182127.png

Edited by mking8288

16 hours ago, TrumpyNor said:

Due to some similar problems a few years ago, the internet manager on board informed about the following:

• Wifi connection is usually better in some spots on board, like near the "internet cafe", in the atrium or outdoor on pooldeck and above.
  • Wifi connetions are absolutely worse on seadays - because so many are trying to connect at the same time

My problem is that I can connect to the internet fine on my phone in my room.

I log off then try login with my laptop 1min later and I can't. (Worked fine yesterday.)

Then I try my phone again, and I login fine.

This is all with in 2min.

Today, I can login fine with my laptop. Nothing changed on my end. 

Just puzzled why I can login with my phone while in my room but can't with my laptop. Then immediately try my phone again and it works 

Edited by fstuff1

@fstuff1 - we did sometimes had issues switching between our Samsung & Google Pixel - both running latest Android 12, when we didn't logout of device A between login to device B, and vice versa. If & when we logout first, then it's usually fine & see the verification status popping out briefly, before "success" and we are prompted to go online. I think we did had difficulty on day 2 when I power on the Windows 10 notebook to connect.

4 hours ago, Trimone said:

Go on holiday, a fantastic cruise and then moan about WI/FI signal….

Get a life

Some people, despite being on vacation, just CAN'T be unavailable, and not by choice.  A company CEO needs to maintain some connectivity, even on vacation, they can't be completely out of touch and they DO get paid for that availability.  That's not to say they spend their vacation on their laptop or phone, but they need to be available more quickly than hopping online once or twice to download email.

I'm, fortunately, not in that position.  I didn't check my work email at all from the time I left work the day before I flew down to my most recent cruise until I got back in the office the Monday after, and I have my email linked to my phone!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Trimone said:

Go on holiday, a fantastic cruise and then moan about WI/FI signal….

Get a life

you need to see someone about your personality.

i bet i'm not the 1st to offer that advice.

also, you're blocked

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hallux said:

Some people, despite being on vacation, just CAN'T be unavailable, and not by choice.  A company CEO needs to maintain some connectivity, even on vacation, they can't be completely out of touch and they DO get paid for that availability.  That's not to say they spend their vacation on their laptop or phone, but they need to be available more quickly than hopping online once or twice to download email.

I'm, fortunately, not in that position.  I didn't check my work email at all from the time I left work the day before I flew down to my most recent cruise until I got back in the office the Monday after, and I have my email linked to my phone!

Full size laptop! What they going to do print documents?