Alaskan cruise with a stop Canada with 10 year old misdemeanor (non DUI)

Jacouser18

On 4/3/2022 at 6:59 PM, Aquahound said:

Not true.  There are American flagged lines that do not stop in Canada.  

There is only one cruise ship in the world that is of U.S. registry.  NCL's Pride of America is based in Hawaii and only does Hawaiian island cruises.

46 minutes ago, SiliconCruiser said:

There is only one cruise ship in the world that is of U.S. registry.  NCL's Pride of America is based in Hawaii and only does Hawaiian island cruises.

You're wrong. Pride of America is the only large ocean-going US-flagged ship but there are smaller US-flagged cruise ships owned by American Cruise Lines and UnCruise Adventures that do Alaska cruises with  no port calls in Canada.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SiliconCruiser said:

Since you quoted me, I was going to correct you, but nj already covered it. 

3 hours ago, njhorseman said:

You're wrong. Pride of America is the only large ocean-going US-flagged ship but there are smaller US-flagged cruise ships owned by American Cruise Lines and UnCruise Adventures that do Alaska cruises with  no port calls in Canada.

Alaska Dream Cruises, and Lindblad National Geographic also operate US flagged small cruise ships.

13 hours ago, njhorseman said:

I was wrong in assuming that this particular forum was about ocean liners.  I thought that this would have been relative to the subject since this was a forum about Princess ships.  But I understand that riverboats, ferries, and other vessels that only operate domestically must be of domestic registry, since they are unable to safely make stops outside of the U.S.

2 hours ago, SiliconCruiser said:

But I understand that riverboats, ferries, and other vessels that only operate domestically must be of domestic registry, since they are unable to safely make stops outside of the U.S.

This is also an incorrect statement.  The majority of the US flag cruise vessels mentioned above can safely make stops outside the US, using the National Geographic Lindblad ships as example, they routinely, and were designed for, cruises to Central America from the US west coast.  These ships and lines choose to be US flagged, so that they can offer strictly domestic cruises.  Many of both UnCruise and Alaska Dream vessels that are currently doing Alaska cruises were built on the US East Coast (wonder how they got to Alaska if they couldn't safely make stops outside the US?).

And, if you look, you will see that there is a large section of CC dedicated to river cruising, and the smaller lines mentioned as coastal cruises are represented under "other cruise lines" forums.  And this particular forum is a general cruising question one, so not just about "ocean liners" (which the Cunard purists will tell you that Princess ships are not).

• Like 4

3 hours ago, SiliconCruiser said:

I was wrong in assuming that this particular forum was about ocean liners.  I thought that this would have been relative to the subject since this was a forum about Princess ships.  But I understand that riverboats, ferries, and other vessels that only operate domestically must be of domestic registry, since they are unable to safely make stops outside of the U.S.

This isn't a forum or a thread about Princess ships. The forum in which this thread is posted is Ask A Cruise Question, and the fact that a ship is small doesn't mean it isn't a cruise ship.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, SiliconCruiser said:

But I understand that riverboats, ferries, and other vessels that only operate domestically must be of domestic registry, since they are unable to safely make stops outside of the U.S.

I'm pretty sure this American flagged cruise ship can safely make stops outside of the US.

cruise ship American Constitution | Vineyard Haven, 8/10/18 | Flickr

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Aquahound said:

I'm pretty sure this American flagged cruise ship can safely make stops outside of the US.

cruise ship American Constitution | Vineyard Haven, 8/10/18 | Flickr

I'm sure it can.  It can probably even sail to Canada or into foreign ports in the Caribbean and Mexico.  But I'm not sure I understand your point?  Does it?

57 minutes ago, SiliconCruiser said:

I'm sure it can.  It can probably even sail to Canada or into foreign ports in the Caribbean and Mexico.  But I'm not sure I understand your point?  Does it?

American law (PVSA?) states that most ships that leave American ports that aren't registered in the U.S. must visit at least one foreign port before returning to the U.S. The big cruise lines are not registered in the U.S. because labor laws would require them to pay much much better. So the big cruise lines have to visit a foreign port.

However, a few (very few) smaller cruise lines do register as American and follow American labor laws. That allows them to go from a U.S. port to any other U.S. port without visiting a foreign one. And also, Norwegian Cruise Lines has one ship in Hawaii, which is registered as a U.S. vessel, that only visits the islands of Hawaii. As such, they pay U.S. minimum wages (or maybe Hawaii minimum wage), and are subject to more U.S. laws than other foreign flagged vessels.

Edited by imobannon

6 hours ago, SiliconCruiser said:

But I'm not sure I understand your point?  Does it?

His point was to refute your statements in earlier posts that:  1. "There is only one cruise ship in the world that is US registry", and then 2.  "that vessels that operate only domestically must be of domestic registry since they are unable to safely make stops outside the US.  While the particular vessel in the photo does not make foreign port calls, it can do so safely, and that is not the reason the vessel is US flagged.  As I've noted above, both UnCruise and Lindblad operate US flag small cruise vessels that routinely make foreign port calls.  Your statement implied that the only reason a ship would flag US was because it couldn't go to foreign ports safely.  The reason these vessels are flagged US is to allow them the choice to offer cruises that only go to US ports.  The Pride of America is US flag, and operates "only domestically".  Do you feel she is not "safe" to travel to foreign ports?  What about the Norwegian Jade and Sky?  Both of these were at one time US flagged.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Didn’t know that. Interesting item.

Jade was the Pride of Hawaii when built, and the Sky went to Pride of Aloha, and then back to Sky.  That was part of the deal with Congress when NCL America took over the partially built hull of Pride of America.  They could flag in an existing foreign built ship, and also flag in a foreign built newbuild, and have all of them be PVSA compliant.

Thousands of U.S. travelers have already sailed this season on Alaska cruises that went through Victoria, and there are no google/youtube personal stories of this happening. There are tons of websites for Canadian law firms, but no personal "I was prevented from boarding" posts or videos. In the age of youtube/facebook/insta/CruiseCritic/etc, there would be hundreds by now. Apx 2% of the U.S. population has had a DUI or other arrest that would be vulnerable to Canadian immigration law. 3000 people per ship. 10 ships per week. 5 month cruise season. ??? No personal stories on social media about getting refused entry.

I think the original poster is gonna be fine.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, imobannon said:

Thousands of U.S. travelers have already sailed this season on Alaska cruises that went through Victoria, and there are no google/youtube personal stories of this happening. There are tons of websites for Canadian law firms, but no personal "I was prevented from boarding" posts or videos. In the age of youtube/facebook/insta/CruiseCritic/etc, there would be hundreds by now. Apx 2% of the U.S. population has had a DUI or other arrest that would be vulnerable to Canadian immigration law. 3000 people per ship. 10 ships per week. 5 month cruise season. ??? No personal stories on social media about getting refused entry.

Of course, he’ll be fine (unless he’s not, in which case he’s screwed).

You seem to be forgetting that not everyone who is considering a cruise combs social media. For example, far less than 10% of cruisers use CC. Add to that the reality that not everyone who has had a DUI wants to share that info.

4 hours ago, imobannon said:

I know several people in my community who are unable to go to Canada because of their record. While they might be able to get away with booking a cruise once (I'm not entirely sure when the manifest is turned over to the Canadian authorities) they would be prohibited from disembarking and blacklisted from booking future Canadian cruises with that cruise line. (I have a friend who entered Canada quite often but one day the border official ran his name through our system and an old arrest popped up. Since then he has not been able to cross the border.)

I will steer this thread back to its actual original topic 🙂  The answer for the OP is found in this link:

Entering Canada with a DUI - Canada DUI Entry 2022 (canadaduientrylaw.com)

Whether a person  with a DUI history can get into Canada (on a cruise or otherwise) without an issue is like rolling the dice.  But folks booking a cruise and laying out a lot of money are well advised not to take a chance that the Canadian government will overlook a past DUI.

Hank

5 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

I know several people in my community who are unable to go to Canada because of their record. While they might be able to get away with booking a cruise once (I'm not entirely sure when the manifest is turned over to the Canadian authorities) they would be prohibited from disembarking and blacklisted from booking future Canadian cruises with that cruise line. (I have a friend who entered Canada quite often but one day the border official ran his name through our system and an old arrest popped up. Since then he has not been able to cross the border.)

The ship's manifest is forwarded up to about 4 days before arrival, or upon departure from the previous port, so the cruise line has no information if pax could be denied ashore in Canada, when they board.

It is the pax responsibility to ensure they can legally enter each country.

On arrival Victoria, prior to clearing the ship, Border Services may request the ship to restrict shore leave to named pax, prior to face-to-face interviews. Clearly, Border Services may miss one or more ineligible pax on a cruise, but if an ineligible pax books another cruise they may not be so lucky.

4 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I will steer this thread back to its actual original topic 🙂  The answer for the OP is found in this link:

Entering Canada with a DUI - Canada DUI Entry 2022 (canadaduientrylaw.com)

Whether a person  with a DUI history can get into Canada (on a cruise or otherwise) without an issue is like rolling the dice.  But folks booking a cruise and laying out a lot of money are well advised not to take a chance that the Canadian government will overlook a past DUI.

Hank

To steer this back to the original topic. Re read the title and first post. The OP was asking about a NON DUI conviction. Specifically the US crime of misdemeanor petty theft, (stated in a subsequent post) which translates to a felony in Canada. 

I've no idea how the mandatory use of the ArriveCan app before boarding affects those with criminal convictions; whether it would be flagged and denied. 

Edited by mom says

• 2 weeks later...

Update.

Just finished my 7 night Alaska/Canadian cruise. Had zero issues boarding the ship for prior criminal history. Also when we got to Canada no immigration interview or even passports checked. Needless to say no issues here either. For future cruisers going on Royal and stopping in Canada you should be okay.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Jacouser18 said:

Update.

Just finished my 7 night Alaska/Canadian cruise. Had zero issues boarding the ship for prior criminal history. Also when we got to Canada no immigration interview or even passports checked. Needless to say no issues here either. For future cruisers going on Royal and stopping in Canada you should be okay.

I'm glad things worked out for you, but just because you didn't have any issues doesn't mean that others won't. 

First, your experience had nothing to do with the specific cruise line. Cruise lines don't have access to the NCIC database so they couldn't have prevented you from boarding due to a past conviction because they don't know about it.

It's Canadian officials who make the decision whether to allow you into the country.  They don't need to physically look at your passport because they have your passport information on the passenger manifest submitted to them by the cruise line after the ship departs the USA . Canada does have access to the NCIC database and they check for the passengers' criminal history. They make the decision on a case by case basis about who to admit and whether an interview is required.  In your case they apparently decided to admit you...or it's also possible that your conviction wasn't even in the database as states don't always report every conviction. 

In any event you can't make a general statement that because you didn't have a problem no one else will. The decision is made person by person, case by case.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, njhorseman said:

I'm glad things worked out for you, but just because you didn't have any issues doesn't mean that others won't. 

First, your experience had nothing to do with the specific cruise line. Cruise lines don't have access to the NCIC database so they couldn't have prevented you from boarding due to a past conviction because they don't know about it.

It's Canadian officials who make the decision whether to allow you into the country.  They don't need to physically look at your passport because they have your passport information on the passenger manifest submitted to them by the cruise line after the ship departs the USA . Canada does have access to the NCIC database and they check for the passengers' criminal history. They make the decision on a case by case basis about who to admit and whether an interview is required.  In your case they apparently decided to admit you...or it's also possible that your conviction wasn't even in the database as states don't always report every conviction. 

In any event you can't make a general statement that because you didn't have a problem no one else will. The decision is made person by person, case by case.

I dont know if this is entirely true. The Royal crew member I spoke with said the manifest is submitted 4 days before arrival. Therefore you shouldnt have any issue boarding.

7 minutes ago, Jacouser18 said:

I dont know if this is entirely true. The Royal crew member I spoke with said the manifest is submitted 4 days before arrival. Therefore you shouldnt have any issue boarding.

Nothing I said contradicts that. I said the manifest is submitted after the ship sails. For almost every cruise that is at least 4 days before the ship arrives in Victoria . I also said that the cruise lines can't prevent you from boarding because they don't have access to the NCIC database .

The point is that the decision by the Canadian authorities is made on a case by case basis. Yes, you'll be able to board, but you may not be able to go ashore in Canada, and if you happen to have an active warrant you might even be arrested by Canadian law enforcement.

So just because you weren't interviewed by Canadian authorities and just because you were allowed to go ashore doesn't mean that everyone with a misdemeanor will be treated the same way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1