Drinks Package Questions (Princess PLUS x 2 Adults).

CDaze71

I have never had a drinks package before, but we just purchased a cruise with Princess Plus (2 adults). A few questions if I may.

1. Can I give hubby my medallion so that he can order one drink each for both of us, or do we have to order our own drinks?
Thinking a scenario such as I'm still getting ready for dinner, he heads off to the Wheelhouse Bar to wait for me. Drink there ready for me when I arrive.
Or I'm sitting on a deckchair and he walks up to a bar to get us a drink each (2).
2. Is there a time limit between orders (such as 15 mins)? 

3. Can I order a pre-dinner cocktail and as soon as it arrives, order a glass of wine to take with me to dinner?

In the past I have found that ordering a drink when you sit down for dinner can take a while to arrive. And to make the wine waiters job easier, I thought I would start by walking in with a wine so that things aren't so rushed as soon as you sit down for dinner. 
Any thoughts? Thanks.

On the Caribbean Princess in January and the Enchanted Princess in March neither my DH nor I had a problem getting each other drinks.  I think they can tell that both of us had the Princess Plus package so it made no difference if just one of us ordered drinks via the medallion, the TV or in person at the bar.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CDaze71 said:

I have never had a drinks package before, but we just purchased a cruise with Princess Plus (2 adults). A few questions if I may.

1. Can I give hubby my medallion so that he can order one drink each for both of us, or do we have to order our own drinks?
Thinking a scenario such as I'm still getting ready for dinner, he heads off to the Wheelhouse Bar to wait for me. Drink there ready for me when I arrive.
Or I'm sitting on a deckchair and he walks up to a bar to get us a drink each (2).

3. Can I order a pre-dinner cocktail and as soon as it arrives, order a glass of wine to take with me to dinner?

In the past I have found that ordering a drink when you sit down for dinner can take a while to arrive. And to make the wine waiters job easier, I thought I would start by walking in with a wine so that things aren't so rushed as soon as you sit down for dinner. 
Any thoughts? Thanks.

There's no time limit between drinks so yes, you could order your wine as soon as your cocktail arrives.  The only issue I've had (on both the Enchanted and Grand recently) is if you order on the app, sometimes the waiter forgets to clear the order when they deliver the drink.  Then, you would need to go to a bar and have them fix that so that your app doesn't show a pending order.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, capriccio said:

On the Caribbean Princess in January and the Enchanted Princess in March neither my DH nor I had a problem getting each other drinks.  I think they can tell that both of us had the Princess Plus package so it made no difference if just one of us ordered drinks via the medallion, the TV or in person at the bar.

On the rare occasion that I would want soda with the drinks package, I've read that it's fountain only even with canned such as Coke Zero that the bar would not have on the gun, correct?  If so, very frustrating since canned is included on Celebrity as well as on Carnival with Cheers.

1 hour ago, SNJCruisers said:

On the rare occasion that I would want soda with the drinks package, I've read that it's fountain only even with canned such as Coke Zero that the bar would not have on the gun, correct?  If so, very frustrating since canned is included on Celebrity as well as on Carnival with Cheers.

As of our last cruise the package is only for fountain sodas. I don't know if they changed it or not. I do agree with you though. I prefer coke zero over diet, I hate adding Jack to diet coke just to make the diet coke taste better  🤣

Edited by Moondogy
  • Haha 2

There's no problem in asking for drinks in your partners name. 

I like to try and keep it balanced evenly if possible but occasionally it gets charged to only one account. 

Bottom line is that you have 30 drinks before they'll start charging extra.

Oh. There's no time limitation between orders. 

Edited by MissP22
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, CDaze71 said:

1. Can I give hubby my medallion so that he can order one drink each for both of us, or do we have to order our own drinks? Probably no issue
2. Is there a time limit between orders (such as 15 mins)? No

3. Can I order a pre-dinner cocktail and as soon as it arrives, order a glass of wine to take with me to dinner? Yes

See above

10 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

Below are the terms for non alcoholic beverages. Canned sodas are at a 25% discount. Princess may have Coke Zero or Diet Coke. They are not exactly the same. You can bring canned soda on board, 12 cans/pp I think is the published limit. If you are booked in a full suite or if you are elite loyalty level you will receive the mini bar set up which includes up to 20 canned sodas. Not easy to really compare packages between lines. Example the menu price limit of $12 includes almost all, around 95%, alcoholic beverages. This is a big plus. The 18% beverage gratuity  is included in the package. No further per drink charge which some lines charge. How does this compare to other lines? 

• The package includes bottled water (500ml only), fountain sodas, fresh juices (if available), specialty coffees and teas, Frappés at Coffee & Cones, milk shakes (if available) and Red Bull energy drinks.
  • The package provides a 25% discount on the following excluded items: all bottles of wine, one liter bottles of water, canned soda and bottled juices.
Edited by skynight

19 hours ago, CDaze71 said:

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Once the wait staff or bar staff get to know you, he will have no problem ordering two drinks using the package,  Did not try to order another right away so can't answer that question.  We were on a ship that was only 1/2 booked service was not problem. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MissP22 said:

There's no problem in asking for drinks in your partners name. 

I like to try and keep it balanced evenly if possible but occasionally it gets charged to only one account. 

Bottom line is that you have 30 drinks before they'll start charging extra.

Oh. There's no time limitation between orders. 

You can have more than 15 alcoholic drinks per person if you pay for them? Not that I ever exceed 5 or 6 a day. But on Carnival even without the drink package you can not have more than 15 alcoholic beverages. I am assuming the soda, coffee, tea, juice and water are unlimited with the package, is that correct?

5 minutes ago, DANCING GRANDMOMMY said:

You can have more than 15 alcoholic drinks per person if you pay for them? Not that I ever exceed 5 or 6 a day. But on Carnival even without the drink package you can not have more than 15 alcoholic beverages. I am assuming the soda, coffee, tea, juice and water are unlimited with the package, is that correct?

Correct on all counts!  Of course there is the caveat that a bartender can cut you off if you seem severely inebriated. Not that I've ever seen that!

14 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

True...but on Carnival it's Pepsi products.... 🤢

• Like 1

5 hours ago, skynight said:

Below are the terms for non alcoholic beverages. Canned sodas are at a 25% discount. Princess may have Coke Zero or Diet Coke. They are not exactly the same. You can bring canned soda on board, 12 cans/pp I think is the published limit. If you are booked in a full suite or if you are elite loyalty level you will receive the mini bar set up which includes up to 20 canned sodas. Not easy to really compare packages between lines. Example the menu price limit of $12 includes almost all, around 95%, alcoholic beverages. This is a big plus. The 18% beverage gratuity  is included in the package. No further per drink charge which some lines charge. How does this compare to other lines? 

• The package includes bottled water (500ml only), fountain sodas, fresh juices (if available), specialty coffees and teas, Frappés at Coffee & Cones, milk shakes (if available) and Red Bull energy drinks.
  • The package provides a 25% discount on the following excluded items: all bottles of wine, one liter bottles of water, canned soda and bottled juices.

Oh well...no soda for me.  Will drink Perrier or San Pellegrino assuming that Princess has them and the package covers them. Can't believe that you can get a Red Bull in the package but not a Coke Zero.  Learned long ago that I don't make the rules, I just play the game and this is my first time playing the game on Princess.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SNJCruisers said:

Oh well...no soda for me.  Will drink Perrier or San Pellegrino assuming that Princess has them and the package covers them.

The Caribbean Princess in January and the Enchanted Princess in March had San Pellegrino covered in the package.  My DH didn't ask for Perrier.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, capriccio said:

The Caribbean Princess in January and the Enchanted Princess in March had San Pellegrino covered in the package.  My DH didn't ask for Perrier.

Thanks, just need a slice of lime and I'm good to go.

15 hours ago, DANCING GRANDMOMMY said:

The Princess premier beverage includes unlimited included non-alcoholic beverages.

15 hours ago, DANCING GRANDMOMMY said:

We keep our drinks at under 15 each. I  suppose you can buy more if you feel the need but I keep close track of our count. 

They also don't check where the drinks go to after receiving them.

All non alcoholic drinks are unlimited but I think they have a limit of 6 when ordering from your cabin. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

Oh well...no soda for me.  Will drink Perrier or San Pellegrino assuming that Princess has them and the package covers them. Can't believe that you can get a Red Bull in the package but not a Coke Zero.  Learned long ago that I don't make the rules, I just play the game and this is my first time playing the game on Princess.

Princess stocks both San Pelligrino and Perrier, just not at every bar/MDR!  I quickly learned to ask for either.  Based on recent cruises on Enchanted (out of Fort Lauderdale) and the Grand (out of LA) so I would assume this should give you an idea as to their US based supply chain.

• Thanks 1

Just got off Enchanted.   

The wait staff and bar staff did not use the medallions and scanners.  

Everyone asked for our cabin number.  They keyed that into the computer and saw our packages and allocated to them.  It didn't matter if we carried both medallions or just one.  Cabin number was used.  We just told them it was one drink for each. 

The wait staff carried a scanner, sometimes they tried to scan our medallion, but even if they scanned it, they just wrote down our order and wrote down our cabin number - it was paper and pen all the time.  

Our experience was that the medallion was our room key, and as far as the staff were concerned, our cabin number was the only thing they wanted.  

Same at all bars, all restaurants, and all shops.  Cabin number.  

Medallion is a joke.  

edit to add:   Enchanted was out of stock of A LOT!  Many wines (we'd ask for one on the menu and it was always out of stock so they'd offer another), San Pellegrino was out at many bars, many whiskeys & bourbons were "last bottle on the ship".   They restocked a few things in St Thomas (Bombay Sapphire Gin was one) but the bartender told many of us that he ordered this and that but didn't receive it.  

Hopefully supplies improve.  

Also, if we were at the bar, heading to dinner we would ask for a cocktail and a wine to go and had no issue getting everything.   The bartenders would key it all in at once when they had a break between orders.  It was no problem to get and carry out two drinks.   

Edited by CruisinFinsUp
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, CruisinFinsUp said:

Just got off Enchanted.   

The wait staff and bar staff did not use the medallions and scanners.  

Everyone asked for our cabin number.  They keyed that into the computer and saw our packages and allocated to them.  It didn't matter if we carried both medallions or just one.  Cabin number was used.  We just told them it was one drink for each. 

The wait staff carried a scanner, sometimes they tried to scan our medallion, but even if they scanned it, they just wrote down our order and wrote down our cabin number - it was paper and pen all the time.  

Our experience was that the medallion was our room key, and as far as the staff were concerned, our cabin number was the only thing they wanted.  

Same at all bars, all restaurants, and all shops.  Cabin number.  

Medallion is a joke.  

edit to add:   Enchanted was out of stock of A LOT!  Many wines (we'd ask for one on the menu and it was always out of stock so they'd offer another), San Pellegrino was out at many bars, many whiskeys & bourbons were "last bottle on the ship".   They restocked a few things in St Thomas (Bombay Sapphire Gin was one) but the bartender told many of us that he ordered this and that but didn't receive it.  

Hopefully supplies improve.  

We (group of 6) were on the Enchanted March 10 - 20 cruise.

Our Medallions were always scanned at the bars for drinks and bottled water and, of course, getting off and on the ship. 

IIRC they were never scanned in the MDR for our wine orders nor for our specialty dinners in Sabatinis and the Bistro.  In those cases we, like you, only provided our cabin numbers which was much faster writing 3 cabin numbers while standing in one place rather than walking around a table reading 6 Medallions.

The wine stock was also an issue.  IIRC whiskeys and bourbons supplies weren't an issue (maybe we drank them all and the next cruise suffered for that 😗).

1 minute ago, capriccio said:

We (group of 6) were on the Enchanted March 10 - 20 cruise.

Our Medallions were always scanned at the bars for drinks and bottled water and, of course, getting off and on the ship. 

IIRC they were never scanned in the MDR for our wine orders nor for our specialty dinners in Sabatinis and the Bistro.  In those cases we, like you, only provided our cabin numbers which was much faster writing 3 cabin numbers while standing in one place rather than walking around a table reading 6 Medallions.

The wine stock was also an issue.  IIRC whiskeys and bourbons supplies weren't an issue (maybe we drank them all and the next cruise suffered for that 😗).

Lol!   We were Mar 20-30.  You must have drank it all.  🤣🤣

Interesting that you were all scanned and we were all asked Cabin numbers.  

Maybe they were testing the systems?   Everyone, everywhere was asked cabin numbers.  We were wondering why the medallion existed at all!   (Except getting on and off the ship - there we scanned).  

When we were on Regal Princess last September for a UK Seacation I asked a waiter about ordering 2 drinks ( 1 for me and 1 for the wife) when we both have Princess Plus on just one Medallion. He told us to order them separately on our own Medallions which we did. When the waiter bought mine I said how long was the wife's drink going to be as we had ordered them at the same time on different Medallions. He asked what did she order and I will go and get one instead of waiting for one ordered on Medallion. I think the waiters were as confused as we were.

9 minutes ago, CruisinFinsUp said:

Maybe they were testing the systems?   Everyone, everywhere was asked cabin numbers.  We were wondering why the medallion existed at all!   (Except getting on and off the ship - there we scanned).  

Maybe.  I think the Medallion may be trying to correct two weaknesses with the 'ask the cabin number' routine because an incorrect cabin number may be given or heard and then charged.  We've had that happen in the pre-Medallion era.  With the Medallion at least the bartender or shop staff can compare the photo to the person doing the ordering/buying.  Also a paper receipt needs to be entered into the accounting system.  I have no idea if they are scanning them which would be preferable (faster, fewer data entry errors) than manual data entry. The latter may be what lead to so many issues in the past.

42 minutes ago, CruisinFinsUp said:

Lol!   We were Mar 20-30.  You must have drank it all.  🤣🤣

Interesting that you were all scanned and we were all asked Cabin numbers.  

Yeah, who knows?   On the Sky, I was able to go up to the bar at the pool and get a drink for both of us and they just asked for our cabin #.  Sometimes in other venues we were just scanned or asked our cabin #s.  I imagine if when they check our folio we didn't have the package, they would just charge us for it?

• Like 1