Unlimited Drinking Package vs A La Carte Recommendations

Trying to gauge if the UDP will be worth it for two light-moderate drinkers vs purchasing individually(no diamond club perks here).  It is vacation time and I imagine we'll go moderate but 2-3 day hangovers are very real at this age lol. It seems they have both gone up in price significantly along with everything else in life so want to know how that plays out. Current UDP offering is $78pp with the 18% tip included.

Another question is... Is the UDP allowed in places like Vintages, Playmakers, and the Irish Pub or do we expect to pay an upcharge? Also, are all wines by the glass included in the UDP. 

Also for example, I see that Bulleit Rye and Hendricks aren't listed on the UDP but offered in the bars so are those an additional upcharge or they purposely don't advertise that in the UDP? 

Please and thank you for all the tips and advice ahead of time! 

18 minutes ago, Cannavaro said:

Trying to gauge if the UDP will be worth it for two light-moderate drinkers vs purchasing individually(no diamond club perks here).  It is vacation time and I imagine we'll go moderate but 2-3 day hangovers are very real at this age lol. It seems they have both gone up in price significantly along with everything else in life so want to know how that plays out. Current UDP offering is $78pp with the 18% tip included.

Another question is... Is the UDP allowed in places like Vintages, Playmakers, and the Irish Pub or do we expect to pay an upcharge? Also, are all wines by the glass included in the UDP. 

Also for example, I see that Bulleit Rye and Hendricks aren't listed on the UDP but offered in the bars so are those an additional upcharge or they purposely don't advertise that in the UDP? 

Please and thank you for all the tips and advice ahead of time! 

UDP is a dining package the DDP includes drinks to $13 or bottle of wine up to $100 with a %40 off .

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/aus/en/faq/topics/beverage-package

Assume you mean the ultimate beverage package. Probably not worth it for you but there is a psychology in play. I'd suggest coming with a drinks budget that you absolutely must spend, so that you don't deprive yourself in order to save money. Some people enjoy the package so they can experiment and try things they wouldn't otherwise. It's a lot of money at that price though, especially if you have a lot of ports and will be off the ship. The upcharge isn't by venue but by price, I believe over $13, plus gratuity on the amount over. 

Six cocktails and you break even. Add in that specialty coffee, bottles of water, smoothies and fresh OJ in the morning are all included. All the places you mentioned are included as well as the MDR, specialty restaurants and the show rooms. A $13 cocktail is included, if you purchase the same cocktail it would be $15.34 after the 18% is added. Don't know about bullet but I was never charged extra for a Hendricks Gin and Tonic . I did get dinged in the Bamboo room for a Royal Zombie, they added a $1.28. Even with the package we still tipped a dollar a drink, bar tenders tend to remember who tips and who gets dinged.  

Edited by taglovestocruise

At that price 5 drinks at $13 would be breakeven. Though if you get non alcoholic drinks as well that lowers what you need. Depending on what non alcoholic drinks you get 2-3 replace an alcoholic drink on the breakeven calculation. 

• Like 1

One thing to keep in mind is that you pay "per day" for the drink package, not "per night".  Your last day on the ship will be "hurry up and get out" so unless you grab some water or juice, you likely won't even use it.  This changes the break-even point just a bit.  For a $78/day package on a 7-night cruise, you'll pay around $645.  That's $92/night, so it takes 7 drinks (#13 + 18% gratuity) to get more out of the package than paying out of pocket.  

For our October 7-night NE/CA cruise on Voyager, it's $958 for the two of us.  That means for each of 7 nights, we'd need to have 9 cocktails between the two of us.  I know we won't drink that much every day.  Factor in that we have access to the CL and 2 bottles of wine carried on, it's just not a good value for us.  YMMV.

35 minutes ago, smplybcause said:

At that price 5 drinks at $13 would be breakeven. Though if you get non alcoholic drinks as well that lowers what you need. Depending on what non alcoholic drinks you get 2-3 replace an alcoholic drink on the breakeven calculation. 

Agree if they drink 5 or more get package. 

19 minutes ago, rudeney said:

One thing to keep in mind is that you pay "per day" for the drink package, not "per night".  Your last day on the ship will be "hurry up and get out" so unless you grab some water or juice, you likely won't even use it.  This changes the break-even point just a bit.  For a $78/day package on a 7-night cruise, you'll pay around $645.  That's $92/night, so it takes 7 drinks (#13 + 18% gratuity) to get more out of the package than paying out of pocket.  

For our October 7-night NE/CA cruise on Voyager, it's $958 for the two of us.  That means for each of 7 nights, we'd need to have 9 cocktails between the two of us.  I know we won't drink that much every day.  Factor in that we have access to the CL and 2 bottles of wine carried on, it's just not a good value for us.  YMMV.

That's not how it works. A 7 night cruise = drink package per day price x 7. It's not times 8. It doesn't count the day you get off the ship in the pricing. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, rudeney said:

It must be the new math. I have always found 78 x 7 to equal 546

In the past we have definitely been charged for the last day getting off the ship. Double check how many days it covers, because you definitely can't get the full value of that last day. 

I think most of the benefit of the drink package is mental, you rarely actually save money. Some people just prefer to have the drink package so that ordering a drink doesn't mean "spending money". Of course it just means you prepay, it's money either way. But if that holds you back from being in vacation mode, I would consider it. But I wouldn't look at it as a cost saving measurement if you are a moderate drinker. 

If you can pay as you go without hindering your enjoyment of the cruise, I would recommend doing that. Drink whatever you want and check your tab at the end of the cruise, then compare that to the drink package cost, and then you will know for the future if it's a good value for you or not. 

The liquors you want should be included up to $13 a drink. If it's more than that, they will charge you the difference. 

• Like 1

Day 1 of a 7 day cruise is embarkation day, say it’s Sunday for example. Day 7 is Saturday.  You disembark early on Sunday which would technically be day 8.  You do NOT pay for that last early morning.

• Like 2

It doesn't pay for me. I live on water (bring a refillable bottle) and unsweetened iced tea (again bring a refillable bottle), don't drink soda, no need for freshly squeezed juice, fancy coffee, smoothies, or shakes. I bring a bottle of wine, get 2, maybe 3-4 drinks, even if I did 4 drinks every day, it still comes out cheaper for me to do a la carte. 

It's all a matter of how much you think you will drink plus how many sea and port days you'll have. 

Edited by bhsolo

7 night cruise, 4 adults.  According to our on board account we had 157 drinks give or take a few (and my son did some of the heavy lifting for me!) @ $15 each including 18% gratuity comes to $2355.  We paid $1814 plus $200 OBC.  Worth it this time but I can see I am turning into a wuss AND I’m losing my taste for the sweet frozen drinks.  We’ll be Diamond after our October cruise and I can’t see needed the DBP after that. 

8 hours ago, smplybcause said:

That's not how it works. A 7 night cruise = drink package per day price x 7. It's not times 8. It doesn't count the day you get off the ship in the pricing. 

OK, I see now.  I was not adding the 18% gratuity into the package.  I was taking $58 x 2 pax = $928, and the total price is $958.16, so I figured the extra $30 was sales tax.  I see now it's $56 x 2 + 18%.  That does not change the break-even math - DW and I would still need to order 9 drinks @ $13 + 18% each night to make it work.  That's just not going to happen for us - we might do half that.  

Edited by rudeney

5 hours ago, rudeney said:

OK, I see now.  I was not adding the 18% gratuity into the package.  I was taking $58 x 2 pax = $928, and the total price is $958.16, so I figured the extra $30 was sales tax.  I see now it's $56 x 2 + 18%.  That does not change the break-even math - DW and I would still need to order 9 drinks @ $13 + 18% each night to make it work.  That's just not going to happen for us - we might do half that.  

If you drink coffee (latte, ect,), OJ at breakfast, have bottled water and soda, then the price drops to have 9 drinks a day not night as you say as you drink throughout the day. We calculate on the premise that a couple or 3 coffees a day, soda, water and then wine/cocktails in the evening it is worth it if you get it at a price you are happy to pay. I know I can get to the end of the cruise and not have to look at a bill. At the end of the day each to their own and so long as you go on Holiday ( vacation ) and enjoy yourself that is all that matters.

There used to be some good drink spending v drink packages calculator spreadsheets around, but they are a little out of date due to recent cruising limitations. But that said a quick google of 'Royal Caribbean Drink Calculator's' will bring up a few options. Don't forget your drinking habits during a sea day will be different to a shore day, so take that into account.
We are not serious drinkers, and generally will only have 2 (or three) alcoholic drinks a day, and so we usually only get the non alcoholic pack, and monitor the alcoholic drinks. Again, look for when they have real specials, not the normal weekly 'psuedo' specials.

Whatever you do, have fun!

Lynn and Carl

If you take the price of the UBP - refreshment pkg price that will tell you how much alcohol you need to drink to break even.  I believe it's usually around 3-4 $13 drinks - beer would be more.

My off the cuff reaction to your original post (light-moderate drinkers with extended hangover concerns) is that you sound more like aka carte purchasers to me.  If your situation allows you to easily bring aboard the allowable beverages (3 bottles of wine and 12 bottles/cans of water/soft drink of choice) that further moves the needle toward aka carte.  On the other hand, if you want multiple specialty coffees  vs regular coffee and fresh squeezed juice vs standard that moves the needle toward one of the beverage packages.  As others suggest, add up the number of beverages you are apt to purchase and estimate the cost.  Remember as you estimate many people purchase fewer beverages on port days (other than private islands); it can be a substantial difference between port intensive cruises and sea day heavy cruises.  Once you have your estimate, watch the price for your cruise; if the price ever seems right, grab it.