Jim_Iain – Silhouette Live Post April 8, 21, 30 - B3B - TransAtlantic, Portugal Spain, France and the Norwegian Fjords

Jim_Iain

50 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Luminae has a 6 day rotation on the Lunch Menu and a 15 day rotation on the Dinner Menu. Not exactly sure how they are rotating them.   Today is Day  8 of the cruise and we had the Day 1 menu (the one with Lobster Roll) today.   Possibly since one day they were closed for Bermuda.

Thank you.  Someone was recently asking a question about whether the Lobster roll was just the first day.  A cruise would need to have a least 6 sea days to see it a second time.  Obviously only on long cruises, which are a small percentage of all cruises.  Most of our cruises are 14 days, which are harder to find in the Caribbean on Celebrity.  

Edited by jagoffee

2 hours ago, upwarduk said:

It was the opposite on our West bound TA in Oct 2013. We had 6 time changes in all, due to Fall.

They eventually opened the Ocean View half an hour earlier, as many older passengers were waking up so early.

Heavenly.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jagoffee said:

Thank you.  Someone was recently asking a question about whether the Lobster roll was just the first day.  It would need to have a least 5 sea days to see it a second time.  Obviously only on long cruises, which are a small percentage of all cruises.  Most of our cruises are 14 days, which are harder to find in the Caribbean on Celebrity.

Yea usually it is just once a cruise but with lots of sea day's I guess we have it more often.   I think I also saw it on the MDR lunch menu but don't have copies of it.    We've trained our waiter and he automatically gives us both menus daily. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

It took me almost 15 years to talk Iain into an Eastbound.   Surprisingly it isn't too bad as you can take a nap to recharge.    Sure a lot better than loosing 9 hours in one flight from SFO.

I definitely prefer Westbound but loved the itineraries that I could put together for a B3B

I am doing my first westbound in October; I can just see my DH waiting for the OVC to open...but it will be nice to enjoy the extra time onboard.  Will I eat even more???

9 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Well did say less than 5% so have to watch CDC

Does CDC still track once we leave the US for the summer?

I doubt it since it is responsible for ships in US ports, but the number is rather alarming considering that the CDC initiates an investigation at a much lower level. Mask wearing would be mandatory, and the cruise line would have to allow people on the next cruise to cancel with a full refund.

3 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

I am doing my first westbound in October; I can just see my DH waiting for the OVC to open...but it will be nice to enjoy the extra time onboard.  Will I eat even more???

Many really eat more but I find that on longer cruises if i don't cut back that I get to a point of overburn and worn out of eating.    We pretty much eat at 8:30-9:00 regardless of time zone changes. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Chic Night Menu - Day 11 Menu1543174025_Luminae-Dessert_Page_11.thumb.jpg.d48e5bc46d5f1f58f131c5b9f72df529.jpg

1543174174_Luminae-Dinner_Page_11.jpg

ED39D93C-5FC0-444E-89B3-1171AC98717A.thumb.jpeg.fe6c3902d0103a86a64fb8697ca9aee1.jpeg

Tuna

C9B4D975-C1C1-41C1-A688-E08BC4F12A00.thumb.jpeg.cc2504997118f096c978fefd42ae4780.jpeg

Taragon-Balsamic Glazed Poussin -   Best meal we have had on Luminae Menu  -  Really recommend

30B770A4-B919-4E04-BE8E-FD8D6C60FC4B.thumb.jpeg.78e05622a626fdf658558b8a186beb58.jpeg

Raspberry Pistachio Vacherin, Vanilla Cream From Daniel B's everynight option

3A7800E7-7EC2-4FC3-A241-9368E1C04529.thumb.jpeg.769237816dce72f3df119acb368d1779.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Yea usually it is just once a cruise but with lots of sea day's I guess we have it more often.   I think I also saw it on the MDR lunch menu but don't have copies of it.    We've trained our waiter and he automatically gives us both menus daily. 

We love the Solstice Class ships and that option.   Not being able to conveniently review and order from the MDR menu was the biggest negative from our fall Apex TA experience.  There were certainly many positives as well.

Edited by jagoffee
  • Like 1

Hi Jim

Have you had a chance to take in any ‘live’ music,,,,do you know if the ‘turns’ will be staying on after Southampton or flying back to the US and new artists coming on board.

Artists in the bars not the theatre.

Just 6 more sleeps and we will find out for our selves……

3 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

Jim, do you mind sharing anything about the insurance you chose for your 3b's?  I am not trying to be nosey, but would appreciate your information...respectfully.

I have coverage for the trip via Chase Sapphire, an annual travel policy via GeoBlue and a medical air ambulance police. 

• Like 6

My favorite CC eastbound/westbound TA story is when someone posted about their trip: a spring eastbound TA to Europe, vacationing there, then returning to the U.S. on a westbound in the fall. Now that would be a nice round trip.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

We love the Solstice Class ships and that option.   Not being able to conveniently review and order from the MDR menu was the biggest negative from our fall Apex TA experience.  There were certainly many positives as well.

Agree.   When we are on a E-Class we read the menu on the App and then decide where we want to eat if we don't like the Luminae Menu, but then we have to both find something we like instead of mix and match.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, raudacruise said:

My favorite CC eastbound/westbound TA story is when someone posted about their trip: a spring eastbound TA to Europe, vacationing there, then returning to the U.S. on a westbound in the fall. Now that would be a nice round trip.

I've known many to do that.    They buy a Round Trip that coinside with both cruises. 

A number of others have take the Westbound and the the QM2 for the return.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Lunch day 8 -

1543174322_Luminae-Lunch_Page_2.thumb.jpg.3a9309012fd49f27b93ad708d5fae30f.jpg

I had the English Pea Soup and Iain had the Prawn Ceviche

4048425D-B3D7-43C3-98F9-0ADA48EAFEF6.thumb.jpeg.90e515cbe75c9cfe7a9d625a9ed2a577.jpeg

F21A62EE-85F1-46EB-A9AE-2C4828F4470F.thumb.jpeg.cafd9e8dbdb468110654ba745493de10.jpeg

For Desert (our waiter sometimes misunderstand but that's ok)

I ordered the Pear Clafoutis but he brought the Dark Chocolate Dulce de Leche.  I'm didn't mind because the next table got the pear and they have been serving a pear cobbler in lieu of the Clafoutis

943773FD-A27F-4723-8888-95E1B7DA3CBE.thumb.jpeg.38a3edee371a5dbe788f28ea29503b4f.jpeg

Iain had the Pear and Raspberry Cobbler from BDR Menu there were no raspberries in it.

ED1A7D0E-5BCE-4151-989D-1E1C366590BA.thumb.jpeg.a68f4222fc091f96e2c648e33cb42de4.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I have coverage for the trip via Chase Sapphire, an annual travel policy via GeoBlue and a medical air ambulance police. 

When the Celebrity COVID assistance ends on May 1, you might want to revisit your coverage as long as testing and quarantine are in play.

Chase trip interruption will reimburse you for unused prepaid nonrefundable expenses, but it does not cover your return flight as a comprehensive travel policy does.

More significantly, the trip delay provision - which is the part that pays for quarantine in comprehensive policies - is only $500 with Chase, and it covers only delays caused by equipment failure, etc - not quarantine. If you had to quarantine in a hotel before returning home, you’d have no coverage for that or the return flight.

Chase has the most generous credit card benefits, but it leaves some gaps at a time when quarantine still presents a real risk.

On 4/3/2022 at 12:41 PM, goldsmip115 said:

So looking forward to following along, Jim.  Karen and I will miss seeing you both in San Francisco.  We board the Millenium on May 3rd, San Diego to Vancouver.  We’ve made some new friends on the Boards, Randy and Connie.  They are on the Silhoutte right now in a PS. They will be our neighbors in 6148 for the May 3rd cruise.  First time sailing in a PS where we know our adjoining neighbors.  This is the first time in all my cruises where I don’t have everything planned.  Gratefully the hotels and first class air are booked on both ends.  I did book two massages and an interesting “open air” excursion to see the bison in Catalina island. I think the rest will be Private Journey.  Safe travels my friend.  We’ll be following you.

I know who you are talking about!!!! Small world!😁

We were on that same Silhouette cruise. Randy and Connie are some of the most wonderful people we have ever met. 💖

We were on a Seabourn eastbound transpacific from Japan and the Captain turned the clocks forward at 2 pm each afternoon.    Liked that better than losing an hour of sleep for seven nights.   Glad to hear the QM2 will probably also do a daytime time change.   She does not do a fast trip across the Atlantic as it is a seven night sailing East and Westbound.   Of course she can sail much faster but passengers no longer want a fast crossing.

• Like 2

6148 was our cabin for our first ever Celebrity cruise. An extra special treat from DH. It was perfection.

Doubt I’ll ever sail in a PH again. I’ve tried move-up bids (some stingy, some pretty high) for CS on up and have never been successful. I’ll keep trying. Think I’d prefer Millenium class PH over Solstice class. Best veranda ever. Dream on…

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Chic Night Menu - Day 11 Menu1543174025_Luminae-Dessert_Page_11.thumb.jpg.d48e5bc46d5f1f58f131c5b9f72df529.jpg

1543174174_Luminae-Dinner_Page_11.jpg

C9B4D975-C1C1-41C1-A688-E08BC4F12A00.thumb.jpeg.cc2504997118f096c978fefd42ae4780.jpeg

Taragon-Balsamic Glazed Poussin -   Best meal we have had on Luminae Menu  -  Really recommend

Raspberry Pistachio Vacherin, Vanilla Cream From Daniel B's everynight option

Thanks for posting the Luminae menus and photos of the food. It's nice to see favorite items still offered, but new items too that I look forward to trying!

BON APPÉTIT!

Hi Jim,

Seeing the bottle being shown to Iain reminded me that you favour Kendall-Jackson.

Just about to open a bottle by Scott Peterson.  ROX Chardonnay. Scott was one of the team working at Kendall-Jackson in the 90s.

At 14.5% Im expecting a bit of oomph .

Ill raise the glass to you both.

Nev

IMG_1390.jpeg

IMG_1391.jpeg

Edited by Redrobo
  • Like 3