Compulsory Travel Insurance domestic cruises ?

Will cruisers on local Australian cruises be required to hold travel insurance?  There is a lot of postings on CC about requirement to hold travel insurance before cruising.  I am only making an enquiry for local cruising,  not international.  Thanks for any advice. 

4 minutes ago, CCC's said:

Will cruisers on local Australian cruises be required to hold travel insurance?  There is a lot of postings on CC about requirement to hold travel insurance before cruising.  I am only making an enquiry for local cruising,  not international.  Thanks for any advice. 

I do not think there is any chance at all that we will have to have travel insurance for local cruising. If you don't have travel insurance you will have to pay personally for any medical treatment on board. It is not covered by Medicare so doctor's visits cost around or in excess of $100 and hospitalization costs thousands of dollars per day.

For international cruising, some countries will require that visitors have travel insurance so they are not a burden on the local medical system in the event of illness or an accident.

• Thanks 1

The one thing you have to consider is if something happens and you have to be medevac'd off the ship. That could cost a serious amount of money. 

I had a minor health issue while on a cruise once. The cost of about four days treatment plus antibiotics was close to $3000. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

The one thing you have to consider is if something happens and you have to be medevac'd off the ship. That could cost a serious amount of money. 

I had a minor health issue while on a cruise once. The cost of about four days treatment plus antibiotics was close to $3000. 

That is about what I have to pay for Insurance. My last Policy cost me $2000 and the cruise was cancelled due to Covid in 2020. The Insurance Company "Insure and Go" refused to refund anything. 

1 minute ago, bazzaw said:

That is about what I have to pay for Insurance. My last Policy cost me $2000 and the cruise was cancelled due to Covid in 2020. The Insurance Company "Insure and Go" refused to refund anything. 

Does any insurance company refund the policy cost? Doubt it.

3 minutes ago, NSWP said:

We had an annual policy with 1cover and they gave us a credit for 75% of the cost. Originally due to expire Dec 2021, extended to Dec 2022. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bazzaw said:

5 minutes ago, NSWP said:

We had a refund from Insure and Go after a cruise was cancelled in 2020. Not a full refund, but we were happy with what we received back. It was initially refused but I took it further and then received the refund.

• Like 1

Insure&Go put our annual policy, bought mid- Jan 2020, on hold. I haven't heard anything from them about it being reactivated yet  I'm holding off contacting them for a few more weeks in the hope that the time remaining on it, about 10 months, will cover us right through to our late January NZ cruise. The original policy had no exclusions for pandemics.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NSWP said:

I bought travel insurance through Air New Zealand when I booked a flight last year just before they popped the bubble and cancelled my flight. I applied for a refund of the policy cost and they gave it to me. I was surprised to be honest but impressed - it's good PR for them.

• Like 1