Pier check in

We have a check in time of 1-1:30pm.  What happens if we get there early will we be sent away or is there an area we can wait for our appointed time.  Any information on check in is greatly appreciated.

• Like 1

I don’t believe this is handled consistently even at the same port from week to week.

As far as if there is an area where you can wait, that depends on the port and which pier you are at.

Edited by D4

No one can say for sure. There's a really good chance they'll make you wait outside the terminal until your time. My last royal cruise had lines set up for each checkin time and they directed you to your line.

But sometimes they let you in either because they don't care or the lines are short enough they're letting others in. 

But I have not seen consistent reports one way or the other so who knows what will happen when you show up.

• Like 1

What port?  Baltimore is always very strict about check in time.  You get there early, you wait outside.  Doesn't matter if it's cold, windy or raining.   

One time Port Everglades was flexible, the next time strict.  Guess it depends where you're sailing from and the phase of the moon on that date.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Your best bet is to try to arrive as close to your boarding time as possible as they do try to stay with those schedules and there is nowhere to wait other than outside.  You can only go inside the terminal from your check in line to perform your actual check in and boarding.  The process in Port Everglades in our December experience was smooth and relatively quick.  But they do maintain your boarding time so arriving early, while good for getting your luggage checked in ahead of your timeslot, is not likely to result in an earlier boarding time.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BarbO1999 said:

We have a check in time of 1-1:30pm.  What happens if we get there early will we be sent away or is there an area we can wait for our appointed time.  Any information on check in is greatly appreciated.

Not sure where you are cruising from, but on recent cruises from Port Miami, Port Everglades and Port Canaveral they were strictly enforcing check-in times. I assume this is directly related to the increased ship capacities, since check-in times weren’t being enforced on the 6 cruises I was on between last August thru January. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TBurr said:

I was on the Anthem 2 weeks ago in New Jersey, and they made you wait for you time standing outside

I don't mean this to be snarky or stating the obvious, but that would be the case with all US departure port terminals that I am familiar with.  I'm not aware of any that has an inside waiting area other than the terminal itself - which is the inside waiting area.  And as the lines that form relative to one's boarding time are to get into the terminal in order to perform the check in process and subsequent boarding, you would, by default, be waiting outside at all of them. 🙂

16 hours ago, BarbO1999 said:

Port Everglades.  We thought just going to port from the airport so I guess we will be standing outside.  At least it will be warmer then home.

Keep checking the app; earlier times occasionally become available.  But maybe not now that capacity is increasing.

• Like 1

On 4/9/2022 at 2:22 AM, PhillyFan33579 said:

Not sure where you are cruising from, but on recent cruises from Port Miami, Port Everglades and Port Canaveral they were strictly enforcing check-in times. I assume this is directly related to the increased ship capacities, since check-in times weren’t being enforced on the 6 cruises I was on between last August thru January. 

Must depend on the ship...in our experience since the restart, Port Everglades and Port Canaveral have been beyond 'liberal' regarding check-in times.

Simply weigh the risk/reward; if the risk of having to wait outside in beautiful weather is less than the reward of early boarding...awesome.

Edited by bucfan2

4 minutes ago, bucfan2 said:

Must depend on the ship...in our experience since the restart, Port Everglades and Port Canaveral have been beyond 'liberal' regarding check-in times.

Simply weigh the risk/reward; if the risk of having to wait outside in beautiful weather is less than the reward of early boarding...awesome.

I think a lot has to do with the capacity of the ship. On cruises in the Fall they didn’t enforce check-in times at any port I cruised from, but the ships were sailing with only 1000 or so passengers at the most. On more recent cruises I have been on there have been over 3000 passengers. For these cruises, there were long lines outside the terminal when I got there, with passengers in different lines based on their check-in times. For these cruises having a suite paid off just to avoid waiting for 2 hours or more outside, from what I heard from passengers during the cruise. 

What is the earliest time slot for check in?

Sailing Harmony from Port Cananveral if that matters.

Also, is there a check-in perk for being in a suite?

Edited by OCSC Mike

1 minute ago, OCSC Mike said:

What is the earliest time slot for check in?

Sailing Harmony from Port Cananveral if that matters.

Also, is there a check-in perk for being in a Suite?

Suite/Pinnacle line just to the right at entrance to terminal.   You are allowed to check in up to an hour before your scheduled time.  EX:  check in time slot you have at 1:00...can arrive up to noon before.  

Enjoy your cruise.  🙂 

• Thanks 1

We had 11am with an hour leeway for suite guests.  Arrived at about 10:30, no lines at all, walked right in & was sitting in the suites area in maybe 10-15 minutes from getting out of the car.

Edited by poocher
  • Thanks 1