The Odyssey on the Odyssey of the Seas

Haven't seen an Odyssey review in a while. So will start a semi-live one a bit behind the actual start. We're on the April 9th Southern 8 day. Thus far, it's been an odyssey with 2 med emergencies--1st one just a couple of hours after departure, heart attack  we heard, sending us roaring back to Port Everglades.

2nd med emergency just this AM around 8, not sure what,, but hearing at least not life threatening. So we're still heading south south west passing Guantanamo. 

Gotta go iFly more later.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, crewsweeper said:

Haven't seen an Odyssey review in a while. So will start a semi-live one a bit behind the actual start. We're on the April 9th Southern 8 day. Thus far, it's been an odyssey with 2 med emergencies--1st one just a couple of hours after departure, heart attack  we heard, sending us roaring back to Port Everglades.

2nd med emergency just this AM around 8, not sure what,, but hearing at least not life threatening. So we're still heading south south west passing Guantanamo. 

Gotta go iFly more later.

Odyssey is Laura's new favorite ship. 

Have fun on iFly

10 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Odyssey is Laura's new favorite ship. 

ooh, why?  Sailing on her in June.  What makes it her favorite over others like Oasis class? You know I'm an Oasis class fan.  

Marked safe from iFly😄

Lunch at Izumi's. Sashimi and sushi were good.  Good quality fish.

It's Monday  and IZUMI is out of Singh and Tiger. Sub was the Canadian version of Sapporo. Came after we had dessert 🙄

Ok. Backtrack a bit.

DW and I drove down from Tallahassee on Friday  with overnight at Ft Pierce. Roads were  clear, but seemed like more trucks on the road than I've seen in a while.  3 troopers spotted the whole trip. All had pulled  someone  over.

Arrived at Port around 10:30. Unloaded parked and in terminal through  security and 2nd doc check by 10:45. Let us on ship around 11:30. Got Voomed up, UDP ressies set, and eating in  Solarium Bistro  by Noon-ish.

Then DW did her spa sign up and I reserved iFly for today and Northstar for tomorrow.  1st drink was Negroni at Wine Bar while waiting on cabins to open. 

Dinner was at Giovanni 's .  Get the salmon.  Lasagna is huge serving. Go bananas will feed a family of four, or serve as a snack for any teenager. 

Bolero had Caiprinha-lime version. But jazz horns were too loud for space. No amp/mic was needed, but all used them. Group timing a bit off. Not expecting Bird or Trane or Miles.

Shops closed as we headed back to Port Everglades. On our way to CocoCay by 10 PM

1 hour ago, rockmom said:

ooh, why?  Sailing on her in June.  What makes it her favorite over others like Oasis class? You know I'm an Oasis class fan.  

It takes getting  used to but the more open setting for bar and restaurants is a good  thing, IMO.  Lots of activities. Two 70 is an amazing space.

Almost Perfect Day at CocoCay.  Bit windy. And body got to go to a destination it hasn't been to in a while: sunburn. 

Good  service nice setting at Beach Club . Daiquiri and Red Stripe orders of the day. LOBSTER.  2 ships in Odyssey and Freedom.  But didn't appear crowded,  except trams ran full.

Dinner at Solarium Bistro. Set menu, same each night. Lamb and couscous were good. Service was so-so. Waiter had issues with DW's ship  card. Empty plates weren't removed. 

For entertainment we went to see The Royal  Vocalists. Good singers. 

And swung by Port Merchants  for Blancrux tasting. Hennessy White wannabe.  Same grapes from Cognac region,  but distilled in Cuaracao I read.

Actually there were two evacuated on Saturday night. Before the first ambulance left with the first patient another ambulance pulled up. We figured they were going to transfer the patient to the other ambulance but no. Just a few seconds later patient #2 was wheeled down the ramp and into the 2nd ambulance. Police and firefighters were out in force. At least 6 firefighters and 2 officers. Today was the third patient removed. Crazy cruise for sure. 

32AD6D05-49A1-439B-B725-212F541EAB23.jpeg

64FD29A7-7A6E-400B-A546-B07FEE466955.jpeg

7 hours ago, rockmom said:

Restaurants, iFly, shows, venues, bumper cars

Hate the elevators and the fact its in South Florida 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

It takes getting  used to but the more open setting for bar and restaurants is a good  thing, IMO.  Lots of activities. Two 70 is an amazing space.

We were on Ovation at 40% capacity last fall, and Odyssey at 65% back in Feb...both were awesome.  Beautiful ships, but can't imagine being on that class ship at max capacity.  Thoughts?

20 hours ago, mzlisap said:

Actually there were two evacuated on Saturday night. Before the first ambulance left with the first patient another ambulance pulled up. We figured they were going to transfer the patient to the other ambulance but no. Just a few seconds later patient #2 was wheeled down the ramp and into the 2nd ambulance. Police and firefighters were out in force. At least 6 firefighters and 2 officers. Today was the third patient removed. Crazy cruise for sure. 

32AD6D05-49A1-439B-B725-212F541EAB23.jpeg

64FD29A7-7A6E-400B-A546-B07FEE466955.jpeg

So I learned today at lunch!

3 evacs and not even 1/2 way through.

17 hours ago, Blue Wave said:

Will be on the next cruise. Here are my basic questions. Who is the Cruise Director? How is occupancy? What are the main shows?

Thanks in advance. I enjoy the live updates. 

Unfortunately, I'm not the one to answer some of these.  No clue on CD, just some guy with dark hair and a beard. Never heard the count, the ship seems full. Solarium is crowded. Appears there are loungers around but not near pools. Only saw 1 of those Casitas near Lime and Coconut booked on day 1. Rest have been such empty.  Long lines for formal night photos at all stations. Schooner Bar gets a good pre dinner crowd, then clears a bit. 

Main shows: Tap Factory , The Book, Effectors, Royal Singers.

Ok, I 'm back. Had a "naughty Voom " experience.  Was informed that I  was using too many devices. 🤨 Only allowed 2 per cabin, not two per cruiser.

Anyway  they did the helo basket drop and removed the 3rd med evac last night around 6P. Closed the Solarium deck for this.

We chopped our chops at Chops last night --1st of 3 planned visits. IMO, steak and lamb were great. Cooked as ordered. Mashed potatoes and asparagus won the sides battle over creamed spinach and your truly 's fav, mac n cheese.  Key lime pie is for meringue lovers. Good filling too.

Show was Tap Factory.  A "Stomp" wannabe,  well done.

Schooners  version of Rye n Rol ended the evening for me.

Day 4, Sea Day #2, very windy. Walking on deck I thought I was redoing iFly.  Northstar canceled but rebooted for Day 7 at 7:20 P so could be colorful as around sunset.

Wrangled a lunch at Tepanyaki. And they had Tiger Beer.  Lobster/scallops.

Balcony retreat this afternoon. 

Wandering down the rabbit hole of Wonderland tonight. 

Supposed to have ressies for The Book, but not showing  up. Times like these need to hire a genie from the suites. 

• Like 2