Live Report - Jade From Athens 17th April

KeithJenner

3 hours ago, KeithJenner said:

Covid tests done. All very easy.

No appointment required. The nurse is at the Electra Metropolis between 10am and midday on Saturdays (different hours during the week). Results came through in 30 minutes.

Cost is 10 Euros each.

Just checked in online for BA and found they have cancelled our return flight to Heathrow next Sunday

Is that one you are on trying to contact Ncl as booked fy cruise through them

For some reason lines are busy

8 hours ago, KeithJenner said:

Just quickly reviewing the testing info I can’t see anything that has changed for us the the last couple of days.

The only thing that I think you have got wrong is that the pre test has to be within 24 hours if it is lateral flow. You can only do it 72 hours before if it is a PCR test. This is in the Greece section on the NCL website (not mentioned in the Athens section).

We have received two emails from NCL in the last week which mention vaccine and testing requirements but these are standard emails that don’t have information relating to specific embarkation ports, so they say 72 hours for European ports.and are therefore incorrect.

I fully expect the tests we do today to be a waste of time and money

Why is your testing today a waste of time or money?  So, if the cruise leaves from Athens on a Sunday, can I do PCR testing Thursday morning in the US?

4 hours ago, Muckyduckway said:

're ID - they may have tightened up, but they accepted a photo of our passports on our phones for entry, even to the Acropolis Museum. I recommend their cafe for great views and nice snacks or drinks - you don't have to be going to the museum to use it, although the queue might be a factor.

Love to hear of any recommendations for cafes/bars/restaurants?

Enjoy the rest of your day and hope all goes well tomorrow.

That is useful to know about using photos. To be honest it hasn’t been a big Robles, but it’s a bit of a culture shock after the lack of restrictions at home. I wouldn’t want to be here unvaccinated, there is a lot you can’t do and I have seen people being turned away from places.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

That is useful to know about using photos. To be honest it hasn’t been a big Robles, but it’s a bit of a culture shock after the lack of restrictions at home. I wouldn’t want to be here unvaccinated, there is a lot you can’t do and I have seen people being turned away from places.

Robles=problem. Bloody autocorrect. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Crazy planning mom said:

Why is your testing today a waste of time or money?  So, if the cruise leaves from Athens on a Sunday, can I do PCR testing Thursday morning in the US?

The MCL website says that they are going to test is at the port anyway and apparently they never even sled for peoples tests last week when they embarked, which is why I said it was probably a waste of time and money.

Still, we’ve got them in case they do ask.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Muckyduckway said:

Nice pics. Last time we walked through the National Gardens I became a walking buffet for the tiniest residents. Next time I will go prepared.

How is the hotel? Is the roof terrace usable for just lounging and reading? Is it non-smoking?  Is it accessible without too many steps?

Sorry for all the questions, your hotel was on our shortlist but we couldn't get answers to those questions.

I like the hotel. The location is excellent. The only issue we have is specific to the suites, as they are on floor 9, directly below the bar/restaurant and we have heard some noise (sounds like tables/chairs being moved around).

The roof terrace is good, but there isn’t all that much room for people just drinking outside. We have been fine both days, but today they did ask if we were residents and I suspect they may not have sat us out there if we weren’t

There are two outdoor areas. The larger one is used for people dining and the smaller one has room for about 10 people, and they sit people just drinking there. You are a bit out of the way there and service is slow.

If you just wanted to sit without ordering drinks then I suspect they may want to move you.

Not sure about smoking. I didn’t see anyone smoking and don’t recall seeing ashtrays. It isn’t something in notice unless someone actually lights up. The lifts go right up to the bar, although we’ve been using the stairs as we are directly below.

Edited by KeithJenner
  • Like 1

Thanks for that - it sounds like the outdoor space wouldn't meet our needs, which is a pity as the hotel is well placed and seems nice generally.

That's a bit of a bummer 're noise, when you get a better room, whether on land or at sea, you don't expect to pay more for a less pleasant experience.  I suppose it depends on whether you're trying to sleep during chair moving hours!

Only one more sleep... and the Premium Plus package will provide inbuilt soundproofing against all sleep disruption 🙂

• Like 1

If I see a hill then I can’t resist climbing it, so this afternoon I set off up Mount Lycabettus. It was actually a very easy walk and the views are spectacular.

There is apparently a funicular if anyone wants to see the views without the having to walk it.

It was less than 3 miles round trip from the hotel and took just under an hour walking time.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CcalrqmIj7x/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 4/14/2022 at 2:22 AM, KeithJenner said:

Regarding testing in Athens, we are staying at the Electra Athens hotel and their sister hotel (Electra Metropolis) offers covid tests for 10 Euro, so we are doing that.

The only issue is that they only do then in the morning and we were considering going to the Acropolis first thing. I was a bit half hearted about that anyway, as I don’t really want to be rushing around, especially on the first day, so we will probably just go and see what the queue is like at the Acropolis later in the day instead.

I’ll report back on Saturday on how the testing goes.

Hi Keith,

I’m interested in any tips/comments you may have about the Athens Electra as my group is staying there before and after our cruise in May. Also good to know about the testing at the sister hotel. 

thank you.

Marilyn

6 hours ago, cookmg40 said:

Hi Keith,

I’m interested in any tips/comments you may have about the Athens Electra as my group is staying there before and after our cruise in May. Also good to know about the testing at the sister hotel. 

thank you.

Marilyn

Just got back from breakfast.

The breakfast is very good, and the staff are excellent (but as mentioned earlier service can be slow if you are on the drinking area of the rooftop terrace - out of sight out of mind).

I’ve mentioned the noise from our room on the 9th floor. It really hasn’t been a problem for us, but could be for some. I think the main noise may be from the lift, which is right next to our room, so that may not be a problem for others.

One thing I would mention is that whilst our suite is a good size, it looks from the evacuation map as though it is effectively two rooms put together (we actually have two room numbers). A room half this size would be quite small, so it is possible that standard rooms are small (they often are in Europe).

We we’re originally booked in the Elia Ermou and moved as the suite here wasn’t a lot more expensive then the room we had there. I would happily stay here again, but if there were just two of us I would probably try the Elia instead.

• Like 1

Arrived at the port at about 10.30 and there were already quite a few people here.

There are two lines, one for people who have had a test within 24 hours and one for those who haven’t. No distinction between PCR and Antigen, it needs to be within 24 hours.

If you have been tested within 24 hours they are not testing at the port. However, they then didn’t ask to see our test results and gave us a testing kit. We queried this with a staff member who then did check our result and took the kit from us and gave us a red slip to show we are ok to check in and board.

There are only a few of us with the slips so I imagine that lots of people are being tested who don’t need to.

Anyway, check in opens at 11am and most people are waiting for their results before they can check in.

Edited by KeithJenner
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KeithJenner said:

Arrived at the port at about 10.30 and there were already quite a few people here.

There are two lines, one for people who have had a test within 24 hours and one for those who haven’t. No distinction between PCR and Antigen, it needs to be within 24 hours.

If you have been tested within 24 hours they are not testing at the port. However, they then didn’t ask to see our test results and gave us a testing kit. We queried this with a staff member who then did check our result and took the kit from us and gave us a red slip to show we are ok to check in and board.

There are only a few of us with the slips so I imagine that lots of people are being tested who don’t need to.

Anyway, check in opens at 11am and most people are waiting for their results before they can check in.

Interesting.  I'm thinking about getting tested at Athens airport on arrival which would be within 24 hours.  It would save me money rather than a PCR 72 hours before we leave which seems they aren't that interested in anyway.

Keith, any more clarity on the reason for the drinks embargo? It still seems rather odd.

Your suite is lovely, lots of space.

How was the boarding process - I guess yours would be faster than for us ghetto people, but wondering about the general speed and queues?

Edited by Muckyduckway
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, KeithJenner said:

Good information, Thank you.  What type test did you present to them and when did you test?   

1 hour ago, Muckyduckway said:

Keith, any more clarity on the reason for the drinks embargo? It still seems rather odd.

Your suite is lovely, lots of space.

How was the boarding process - I guess yours would be faster than for us ghetto people, but wondering about the general speed and queues?

No more clarity regarding the drink thing. We haven’t specifically spoken to anyone about it, but some friends did ask and were reassured that it would only apply here.

Suite really is great. Our son loves having his own room and we have been banned from entering. 🙂

The boarding process was very quick for us, but we were the first suite guests to get to check in. There was a bit of a queue there by the time we started boarding. I didn’t really see the non suite area, but our friends didn’t report having a problem.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

No more clarity regarding the drink thing. We haven’t specifically spoken to anyone about it, but some friends did ask and were reassured that it would only apply here.

So weird, I guess I can survive without alcohol for a few hours but for us (and I suspect many others) it's an integral part of our enjoyment upon boarding.

Suite really is great. Our son loves having his own room and we have been banned from entering. 🙂

Well, of course, it's HIS room!!!!

The boarding process was very quick for us, but we were the first suite guests to get to check in. There was a bit of a queue there by the time we started boarding. I didn’t really see the non suite area, but our friends didn’t report having a problem.

Will you be able to go back to slumming it after all this indulgence? Better start thinking of more "special occasions". 🙂