Live Report - Jade From Athens 17th April

KeithJenner

So, the weather was much better today.

Volos was ok. As is quite common, the area around the port is not good at all (the last couple of pictures on my instagram post).

However. The towards the centre, and especially along the seafront it is quite nice. Lots of bars and restaurants. We walked for a few miles, grabbed an ice cream, and then ended up in a bar where we had a couple of local beers.

We were off the ship for a few hours and it was very enjoyable. The nicer weather made a big difference.

Once back onboard we had mudslides at the Great Outdoors and have eaten at Jasmine, which I have always enjoyed. We are currently back at Tankards enjoying more champagne. I’m using the excuse of posting on cruise critic to give myself a break from playing cards for a while. 🙂

My wife just went all the way up to the buffet (6 floors up from here) to get some

cookies, and found they weren’t out yet. On the way back she thought to check the Java cafe, just one floor up from us, where there were loads. 🙂

I haven’t had chance to ask any of the questions discussed previously yet. Well, I have had loads of opportunity, but just haven’t done it yet. I really will try to do better tomorrow.

Mykonos tomorrow. We have no plans in port again. I suspect that we will just find a bar again.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

My wife just went all the way up to the buffet (6 floors up from here) to get some

cookies, and found they weren’t out yet. On the way back she thought to check the Java cafe, just one floor up from us, where there were loads. 🙂

You actually answered a question I had considered asking but decided not to trouble you with.

They had them there last year and we wondered if they'd still be available. Yum!

7 minutes ago, Muckyduckway said:

You actually answered a question I had considered asking but decided not to trouble you with.

They had them there last year and we wondered if they'd still be available. Yum!

Glad to be of assistance. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

In case anyone is interested, who may be reading this whilst at work or anything like that, I’m currently sitting on my balcony with a glass of champagne whilst looking at the stars and watching the Greek coast passing by in the distance.

It’s a hard life. 🙂

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

On 4/19/2022 at 7:23 PM, KeithJenner said:

After spending the last couple of evenings in Tankards, we have decided to have a quiet night in tonight. It is nice to have some space to relax in the cabin. I have my bottle of wine from the latitudes meal and we have grabbed a few drinks for my wife. We may nip out later for a couple before bedtime.

Teppanyaki was excellent as usual. Unfortunately they couldn’t sit us and fabnfortysomething at the same table, as they had already allocated the seating. If we were ever in the same situation then I would try to prewarn them that we wanted to be together. Still, it was very enjoyable.

Volos tomorrow. I don’t think there is a huge amount there (most tours seem to travel to nearby places). We will get off and see what we can find, maybe look for a bar or restaurant for lunch).

One final thing, we are sending in some laundry and my wife thinks that the bag is bigger than previously (I’m sure that I have read grumbling on here about it getting smaller). It is also made of a different material, so doesn’t rip like the old ones. Edit - maybe that is a suite thing?

Hi Keith loving the blog , my wife is asking what is the turnaround time for the laundry as we are on the jade next month and I’m saying pack less and use the laundry 😉

@Papawizz

.... what is the turnaround time for the laundry .....

It depends on your Latitude level (that is 'free or not'), the number of people putting out washing and the "cheap offer" day.

Don't "Expect" it the same day; next day is more likely especially if you get it out first thing in the morning.

5 hours ago, KeithJenner said:

So, the weather was much better today.

Volos was ok. As is quite common, the area around the port is not good at all (the last couple of pictures on my instagram post).

However. The towards the centre, and especially along the seafront it is quite nice. Lots of bars and restaurants. We walked for a few miles, grabbed an ice cream, and then ended up in a bar where we had a couple of local beers.

We were off the ship for a few hours and it was very enjoyable. The nicer weather made a big difference.

Once back onboard we had mudslides at the Great Outdoors and have eaten at Jasmine, which I have always enjoyed. We are currently back at Tankards enjoying more champagne. I’m using the excuse of posting on cruise critic to give myself a break from playing cards for a while. 🙂

I haven’t had chance to ask any of the questions discussed previously yet. Well, I have had loads of opportunity, but just haven’t done it yet. I really will try to do better tomorrow.

Mykonos tomorrow. We have no plans in port again. I suspect that we will just find a bar again.

Java Cafe cookies and cakes are free for anyone - I thought they were an extra charge, like the Starbucks drinks.   A nice surprise...

• Like 1

Having looked for the Java Café on the Deck plans I looked for the Shore Excursion Desk and the Latitude Reps (Future Cruise) Desk.

I found the Shore Excursion Desk but NOT the Latitude Desk.   Will someone on the ship please let me know where it is?

7 hours ago, Papawizz said:

Hi Keith loving the blog , my wife is asking what is the turnaround time for the laundry as we are on the jade next month and I’m saying pack less and use the laundry 😉

I think that it is supposed to be next day, as long as they collect it by a cartoon time.

Ours actually took just a few hours (picked up around midday and back when we were back after dinner). Never had it that quick before.

Yes, Java cafe is directly opposite guest services. The stairs going up to o’Sheehans are directly behind it.

I was expecting the food there to have an extra cost, as I believe it often is (they usually have different things there, from memory). But I’ve picked up a cookie along with my coffee a few times on this cruise. They are free, but they are also mostly the same things that you can pick up from the buffet (cookies etc).

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

I think that it is supposed to be next day, as long as they collect it by a cartoon time.

Ours actually took just a few hours (picked up around midday and back when we were back after dinner). Never had it that quick before.

Once again, bloody autocorrect.

I’m not sure exactly what I was going for that resulted in cartoon time. 🙂

I think they suggest collection by around midday for next day service. I’d ask my wife, but she’s still asleep.

• Haha 1

Apparently there are around 1,300 people

onboard.

I asked at Java cafe about payment on the Starbucks app. She was confused why I was asking as I have the beverage package, but I think the answer was no.

Probably as it is not actually Starbucks, but just serves their coffee.

• Like 1

Thanks for checking Keith - I suspected as much but was hoping for a different result.

1,300 sounds perfect.  I can't decide if our sailing is likely to be fuller because it's later in the season, or whether the Easter break would have balanced that out.  I'm hoping for an upgrade!

Hope you have a nice relaxing day in Mykonos.  You seem to be docked quite far away from the town, we tendered in last year.

• Like 1

Just got back from Mykonos.

This is the third time we have been here and have always docked. I would prefer to tender, as they drop you off right in the centre. We are about 1.5 miles out.

We walked in. It isn’t a good walk as there are lots of bits with no pavement, so you have to walk in the road. We came back on the water taxi (€2 each).

In what is becoming something of a theme, we walked round the town for a bit, got my son some sunglasses (to stop him squinting all the time) and then found a bar for a couple of drinks.

Weather has been great again today.

Currently having a drink at The Great Outdoors before heading back to Moderno for dinner. I have been told I’m not allowed any of the cheesy bread balls tonight as they are my sons favourite and he probably won’t be back to Moderno for a few years.

It’s getting a bit to near the end of the cruise for my liking. Time to book some more.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CcnQERfr1cx/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Edited by KeithJenner
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

Just got back from Mykonos.

This is the third time we have been here and have always docked. I would prefer to tender, as they drop you off right in the centre. We are about 1.5 miles out.

We walked in. It isn’t a good walk as there are lots of bits with no pavement, so you have to walk in the road. We came back on the water taxi (€2 each).

In what is becoming something of a theme, we walked round the town for a bit, got my son some sunglasses (to stop him squinting all the time) and then found a bar for a couple of drinks.

Weather has been great again today.

Currently having a drink at The Great Outdoors before heading back to Moderno for dinner. I have been told I’m not allowed any of the cheesy bread balls tonight as they are my sons favourite and he probably won’t be back to Moderno for a few years.

It’s getting a bit to near the end of the cruise for my liking. Time to book some more.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CcnQERfr1cx/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Following you it does seemed to have gone incredibly fast, any good tips for July cruise…

Drinks upgrade yeh or nay

Suite the same?

On 4/19/2022 at 9:23 PM, KeithJenner said:

After spending the last couple of evenings in Tankards, we have decided to have a quiet night in tonight. It is nice to have some space to relax in the cabin. I have my bottle of wine from the latitudes meal and we have grabbed a few drinks for my wife. We may nip out later for a couple before bedtime.

Teppanyaki was excellent as usual. Unfortunately they couldn’t sit us and fabnfortysomething at the same table, as they had already allocated the seating. If we were ever in the same situation then I would try to prewarn them that we wanted to be together. Still, it was very enjoyable.

Volos tomorrow. I don’t think there is a huge amount there (most tours seem to travel to nearby places). We will get off and see what we can find, maybe look for a bar or restaurant for lunch).

One final thing, we are sending in some laundry and my wife thinks that the bag is bigger than previously (I’m sure that I have read grumbling on here about it getting smaller). It is also made of a different material, so doesn’t rip like the old ones. Edit - maybe that is a suite thing?

It's definitely a suite thing 

Paper bag is definitely smaller 

However we sent out Tuesday morning and laundry was back that was evening