YVR immigration process

LMKakaThing2

14 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

Just follow the signs, and go with the flow......does not really matter.

Great outlook. These things are very channeled...you come off the plane, and there is pretty much only one way you can go...through the process. Hard to miss a turn or a required process.

7 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Immigration then bag claim. Don't recall anyplace in the world where it is different from that.

Many times, outside of busy airport environments, both immigration and customs inspections are completed at the same time, sometimes by a single inspector (and sometimes completed without the passenger even reporting directly . . . the typical case at intermediate ports of call when traveling internationally by cruise vessel). For example, when a scheduled motorcoach arrives at a land border, many times passengers are asked to alight from the motorcoach, claim their baggage at coach side, then report for both immigration and customs inspection with baggage. The alternative, of having passengers alight, report for immigration inspection, then return to the motorcoach to claim baggage, go back for customs inspection, then wait for the motorcoach to pull forward and recheck baggage, would make it overly and unncessarily complicated. So yes, there are some differences in various places, but at Vancouver's airport it will be as described: two separate inspections, well-organized and channeled for passengers to navigate (as cattle through a stockyard).

@GTJ, yes there are some unique situations out there...I have experienced a couple. But the OP was specifically asking about arriving at Vancouver airport. And I will stand by my statement that I can not, in 30+ years of traveling internationally, think of an international airport that does it claim your bag and Customs before Immigration.

• Like 1

Thank you for the responses. I will say I only recall having to wait in one line in 2015, but that was 7 years ago and pushing midnight. I was pretty tired since I was coming from Ohio and had a 6 hour layover in Chicago. I do recall they only had one agent working and we waited maybe 10 minutes. Expecting a much longer wait since we arrive around 1:30 in the afternoon on a Saturday. 

4 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

I can not, in 30+ years of traveling internationally, think of an international airport that does it claim your bag and Customs before Immigration.

I cannot think of a major international airport that is otherwise. And certainly true in Vancouver. But I will stick my head out far enough to say that, somewhere in the world, perhaps at some very small international airports, it could possibly be otherwise. It would not surprise if, for example, Aéroport des Îles-de-la-Madeleine, on one of Québec's remote island and which receives international flights operated by Air Saint-Pierre, does things differently. My sense is that the procedure is done as it is out of custom and convenience, differing from place-to-place based on mode of arrival and the specific facilities and environment at the port of entry. I would certainly like to know about any such confirmed counter-examples or any statutes or regulations on the point.

It is my experience that arriving during the afternoon on days when cruise ships are departing, you can plan on at least two hours to complete Immigration at the Vancouver airport.  This is caused by so many travelers arriving on the same day as their cruise departure. 

If you are not sailing until the next day, plan to arrive in Vancouver after 4:15 PM and Immigration will be quite fast.

On 4/18/2022 at 2:30 PM, 5waldos said:

Anyone know when you are selected for random testing, in case you are? 

Not specifically Canada but the last couple of times I have visited the USA I have been "randomly selected" for extra security. I knew it was coming - outbound - as my boarding pass was stamped SSS ... which I learned was "special security screening"?

When I asked why I was assured it was random ... yeh! 

So are checks 'random' ... I don't think so!

Check your boarding pass and see if there is anything unusual about it!

32 minutes ago, MBP&O2/O said:

Not specifically Canada but the last couple of times I have visited the USA I have been "randomly selected" for extra security. I knew it was coming - outbound - as my boarding pass was stamped SSS ... which I learned was "special security screening"?

When I asked why I was assured it was random ... yeh! 

So are checks 'random' ... I don't think so!

Check your boarding pass and see if there is anything unusual about it!

Its actually "SSSS", and happens frequently if one way international tickets, or coming from a suspicious country, or a number of other reasons to create interest in you. Not uncommon.

After 9/11, when the SSSS system started, it seemed like every one way ticketing, even domestic, got then dreaded SSSS and extra checking.

On 4/20/2022 at 12:30 PM, JJ2sail said:

Just don't forget to upload your documents into the ArriveCan App.    You can do it up to three days prior.

We are going to Vancouver and then cruising to Alaska.  I'm waiting for RCCL to indicate what we need to do.  Right now, I think I have to be tested 24 hours prior to my plane ride. Is that accurate? And, then, I have to be tested again for the ship as I will be spending 3 days in Vancouver. I don't know how they test in Vancouver. We've only done it in USA online for a cruise.

On 4/18/2022 at 7:20 PM, GTJ said:

I cannot think of a major international airport that is otherwise. And certainly true in Vancouver. But I will stick my head out far enough to say that, somewhere in the world, perhaps at some very small international airports, it could possibly be otherwise. It would not surprise if, for example, Aéroport des Îles-de-la-Madeleine, on one of Québec's remote island and which receives international flights operated by Air Saint-Pierre, does things differently. My sense is that the procedure is done as it is out of custom and convenience, differing from place-to-place based on mode of arrival and the specific facilities and environment at the port of entry. I would certainly like to know about any such confirmed counter-examples or any statutes or regulations on the point.

Regina (YQR) airport is one of these.  We flew in twice this year from international destinations (Cuba and Mexico), and upon arrival one officer checks both your immigration and Customs form (and gives you a home testing kit if you are selected).  You then leave that area and wait for your baggage.  Upon leaving the secured baggage area, you must hand in your stamped customs form to another officer who is at the door to the outside area.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Carol28 said:

We are going to Vancouver and then cruising to Alaska.  I'm waiting for RCCL to indicate what we need to do.  Right now, I think I have to be tested 24 hours prior to my plane ride. Is that accurate? And, then, I have to be tested again for the ship as I will be spending 3 days in Vancouver. I don't know how they test in Vancouver. We've only done it in USA online for a cruise.

If you are vaccinated and boosted, you DON'T need to test to fly from the US to Canada. You only need the test to board the ship. If the ship boarding test fits the timeline and can occur before you fly, that is acceptable.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

If you are vaccinated and boosted, you DON'T need to test to fly from the US to Canada. You only need the test to board the ship. If the ship boarding test fits the timeline and can occur before you fly, that is acceptable.

As far as I know, testing is not required to fly from US to Canada, boosted or non-boosted. 

A few years ago they started the process where you are funnelled to machines to fill in your customs declaration electronically prior to going past an actual human customs officer to present your passport, then pick up bags, then head for the exit.  Just follow the signage, I think there’s one line for CDN passports and another for ‘international’ - this is all from the Before Times … haven’t been through YVR recently for obvious reasons!

If you have booked the transfer with the cruise line then look for personnel either in the baggage area or just as you exit.  If arriving for some days before the cruise and heading to a hotel - taxis, transit and shuttles all have signage once you clear the meet n’greet area.

On 4/18/2022 at 6:30 AM, 5waldos said:

Immigration, get bags, then customs. They are two separate things. 

Anyone know when you are selected for random testing, in case you are? 

Immigration/customs are the same thing in YVR. Get off the plane, follow the crowd down to customs, then go to baggage claim, then on the way out hand your piece of paper that the customs officer hands you (or the machine spits out if those are working again) and off you go.

5 hours ago, bcwife76 said:

Immigration/customs are the same thing in YVR. Get off the plane, follow the crowd down to customs, then go to baggage claim, then on the way out hand your piece of paper that the customs officer hands you (or the machine spits out if those are working again) and off you go.

That’s what I remember from 2015! Wasn’t sure if I was tired with it being near midnight Vancouver time and almost 3am back home that I couldn’t remember another line I stood in. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bcwife76 said:

Hmmm...sounds like your first contact is Immigration or a Passport check, your second contact is Customs. Its just that the second contact is minimal, as it is in many European countries.

Getting nervous reading this thread. Three of us are flying from US next week with a brief layover in Toronto then on to Vancouver. We have checked bags to retrieve then meet another family member arriving from Oregon shortly after we land. We want to catch the SkyTrain as soon as possible and take it to the Waterfront station which is a few blocks from our hotel. Drop the bags and walk to Canada Place to catch the shuttle to Capilano. None of us have been to Vancouver before. Can we get through the airport and take Skytrain and make it to the shuttle in 2 hours? Is this doable? 
thanks ….!