Help With Riviera Owner's Suite

kitty9

I'm hoping someone can help with this issue.  We will be spending a few cruises on Riviera in the next few months, and I am trying to find out the height of the threshold going out onto the deck.  I will be purchasing a portable threshold ramp to use so I can go out onto the deck.  My post polio has gotten worse, and I can no longer negotiate steps of any height.  Also, is there a lip inside the suite that leads to the bigger step onto the deck.  I've contacted O's special needs department, but they say they have no idea but would "try" and find out the measurements.  I'm assuming that the threshold in the other cabins are the same as in the OS, but I'm not sure about that. The ramp I'm getting can be adjusted from 2" to 4.8", but I don't know if the height is higher than that.

Thank you for any info,

4 hours ago, kitty9 said:

I'm hoping someone can help with this issue.  We will be spending a few cruises on Riviera in the next few months, and I am trying to find out the height of the threshold going out onto the deck.  I will be purchasing a portable threshold ramp to use so I can go out onto the deck.  My post polio has gotten worse, and I can no longer negotiate steps of any height.  Also, is there a lip inside the suite that leads to the bigger step onto the deck.  I've contacted O's special needs department, but they say they have no idea but would "try" and find out the measurements.  I'm assuming that the threshold in the other cabins are the same as in the OS, but I'm not sure about that. The ramp I'm getting can be adjusted from 2" to 4.8", but I don't know if the height is higher than that.

Thank you for any info,

I suggest you contact Oceania customer service for this information..

Jancruz1

14 hours ago, cruisecountess said:

I don’t know about the Owner’s suite, but I do know that the veranda and penthouse suites have a step up leading into the bathroom.  The step is of significant height so you may want to inquire about that as well.

Harriet

No step up in Owners Suite to get into either bathroom.  

It's been pre-covid since we were on Oceania and in the owner's suite.  There was no step to go out on the balconies, but there was the track for the sliding door.  I don't remember it being any different than a typical sliding door on ships,  perhaps 1 inch tall.  But it has been a while and I never really paid attention to it.  Also remember, there are two separate balconies that are not connected to each other and you have to go inside to go between them.

There is definitely no step into the bathrooms.

• Like 1

On 4/18/2022 at 11:53 AM, kitty9 said:

I'm hoping someone can help with this issue.  We will be spending a few cruises on Riviera in the next few months, and I am trying to find out the height of the threshold going out onto the deck.....

Kitty, I don't have the answer you need, but we're sailing in a Riviera owner's suite on June 25. If you need more information that long from now, I'll be happy to get it. As a full time manual wheelchair user, I have a vested interest in the same information. I've learned all I can from pics at these links. Some appear like there is no track to get over; others look like a thresh hold of at least two inches.

I'm curious what your portable ramp looks like.

Oceania Owner suite pics.url Oceania all suites pics.url

On 4/20/2022 at 9:32 AM, LHT28 said:

Kitty  I thought you were in an OS  on one of the O ships 

I recall you posted photos of the New Barristas  on Riviera ??

Yes, but I have no recollection of the step outside to the balcony.  The other issue is getting my scooter over the track of the sliding glass door.  Thanks to everyone for their comments.  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, sailtex said:

Kitty, I don't have the answer you need, but we're sailing in a Riviera owner's suite on June 25. If you need more information that long from now, I'll be happy to get it. As a full time manual wheelchair user, I have a vested interest in the same information. I've learned all I can from pics at these links. Some appear like there is no track to get over; others look like a thresh hold of at least two inches.

I'm curious what your portable ramp looks like.

Oceania Owner suite pics.url 197 B · 9 downloads Oceania all suites pics.url 213 B · 3 downloads

We aren’t cruising until December, so any insight you have from your June cruise will be extremely helpful.  Also, if you remember to do this, could you please see if the king bed has a mattress and box spring or is it just a mattress on a platform?  I’m very short, and getting into the very high bed would be extremely difficult, if not impossible.  I may have to rent a recliner to sleep in for our two upcoming cruises. 

There are three ramps we are looking at, all having a rise of between 2.5” to 4.6” high.  They weigh between 8 and 11 pounds.  Wayfair has all kinds of ramps, as does Discount Ramps.  We’re still looking for one, as we have time. 

Thank you so much for your help. 

Edited by kitty9

15 hours ago, kitty9 said:

We aren’t cruising until December, so any insight you have from your June cruise will be extremely helpful.  Also, if you remember to do this, could you please see if the king bed has a mattress and box spring or is it just a mattress on a platform? ...

Kitty, I'll be happy to do research for you. The platform bed is not an issue for me, but it's critical for wheelchair users who require a lift for transfers.

I realized that the links I posted may not work. Another try here. If the links still don't work, you should be able to copy and paste the url into your browser. The last image in the cruisecritic.com link is a panorama. If you zoom in on the bed, it shows a conventional frame.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/riviera-607/owners-suite-311053/owners-suite--v14124460

A different image on the Oceania site appears to show a platform bed. Both versions of the bed appear to be pretty tall, as is the fad these days.

I'm more concerned about the threshold to the shower. Like the bed, images from different sources appear to show different generations of the ships decor.

Kitty, I realized that you're sailing after Riviera's Dec 7th return to service from what Oceania describes as a major refit. Unfortunately, what I'll report about furniture is likely to be out of date for your use.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Kitty, we are in the Riviera Owners Suite and the thresholds to all three deck access doors are about 5 inches high and five inches wide. No steps to enter either bathroom but the showers both have steps. They are approx 3 inches high and 3 inches wide. Both thresholds are curved, so in the master bath the threshold is (concave) narrower near the center and wider near the ends. Since it's a curved wall, your ramp will have a gap nearer the center. The other shower is the opposite, convex on the outer wall, so your ramp would have gaps nearer each end.

Kitty and Sailtex - Just want to say that you both inspire me.  You are champions at cruise planning.       I have been spending the past few months trying to find workarounds for my husband and myself.  He has terrible back pain and can't walk far.  I am recovering from spinal fusions.  For the first time, we are renting a scooter for him, which should assist in getting him around the ship.  We will also have a couple of canes.  Shore excursions are a challenge, as you both well know; so we will limit them.  We are staying in a PH; so, with the scooter, it will be tight.  Maybe, as has happened in two previous O cruises, we will be offered an upgrade to Vista or Oceania suite???  Negotiating airports is always interesting; but our TA will request wheelchairs for both of us.  In the end, all the planning will be worth it - have wonderful trips.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Sailtex, thank you for the information.  It helps greatly.  Now I have to find a double sided ramp so that my scooter can negotiate the 5 inches.   I have booked the inside accessible cabin for myself so that I can have the roll in shower.