Just notified for Grand LA-Vancouver on April 19--testing required at pier

rj59

15 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Still wondering if this has more to do with disembarking in Canada than visiting a port in Canada but we will know by Saturday. 

I don't think this makes any difference.  All the early ships stopping in Victoria (HAL Koningsdam, Viking Orion, and Norwegian Bliss, along with the Grand Princess) have disembarked (or are scheduled to disembark) in Vancouver the next day.   

Edited by westcoaster
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, memoak said:

One more test is no big deal. If someone wants to cancel a cruise to avoid a test then I would wonder about their original test and it vaccination status

one more test at the pier is a HUGE deal, sorry regardless of vac status and "previous" testing - just ask those people who were negative showing up at the pier and then test positive with no symptoms - ask them if it's no big deal ...

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Coffeeluvr05 said:

I guess I am confused.  Princess is requiring test result from 2/3 days prior AND testing at the pier?  The pre pre test seems like a waste if they are just going to test you again at the pier.  

correct -  a negative test 2/3 days prior is worthless - and always has been depending on the length of the cruise and incubation period of the virus

but a 2/3 day prior positive test - verified by a second testing  - that's a different story

2 hours ago, Ombud said:

@Sea Hagjust got my 'last minute notification' and it doesn't mention anything that the roll call wasn't following:

> vaccinated 

> test results needed

> complete ArriveCAN 

I got an email form Princess with "Emergency Notification" as part of the subject line. describing those requirements.

A friend who booked on the same cruise but booked via a big box store did not get the email notification.

Edited by brisalta

2 hours ago, memoak said:

Does anyone else find it peculiar that this is the only Eaton reporting this ?  I would think that if everyone on the cruise had to be tested again at the pier that we would have been inundated with posts

Go look at Facebook posts on Grand. Even mentioned in News about several in quarantine.  Someone has posted the notification from Princess there.  Believe what you want.  By pass posts you have to question with nothing to back yourself up. Please.

29 minutes ago, brisalta said:

I got an email form Princess with "Emergency Notification" as part of the subject line. describing those requirements.

A friend who booked on the same cruise but booked via a big box store did not get the email notification.

Is your cruise round trip from USA or 1 way (embarking or disembarking in Canada)

9 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Then I'll go to the pier expecting a delay

Round trip Alaska with a stop in Victoria on the way back to San Francisco. Ruby Princess April 30.

I will leave the booking specific verbiage that was above and below the important message so here is the text: The subject line had "Emergency Notification" in it!! Why? It should just be considered an Alert.

"IMPORTANT NOTICES
IMPORTANT REMINDERS FOR YOUR CRUISE

It's almost time for your cruise vacation! Please make sure you remember to:
- Download the MedallionClass app to complete all required check-in items.
- Complete online cruise check-in and the mandatory Health Questionnaire (MUSTbe completed by each guest at least 24 hours before your cruise).
- Bring your original proof of COVID-19 vaccination and acceptable proof of a
negative viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) taken before of embarkation (for guests 2 years and older). For required timing and details, please
visit https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/cruise-health/frequently-asked-questions/us-cruises/?accordion=covid-test-prior-to-boarding
- Select an arrival time to the pier on the MedallionClass app. For the health
and safety of all, do not arrive prior to your assigned check-in time or you will be asked to return at the correct time.
- The ability to go ashore in ports of call is controlled by the ports we
visit and may depend on your vaccination date and booster status.
- complete ArriveCAN at https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/coronavirus-disease-covid-19/arrivecan.html in advance of your cruise
and enter proof of vaccination and travel information.

Thank you for your attention to this notification."

Edited by brisalta

13 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Then I'll go to the pier expecting a delay

I tried responding with more details but for some reason the reply is hidden!

I think you may have misconstrued my reply.

Basically it is vaccination, testing, and AriveCan information. This is for cruise out of San Francisco with a stop in Victoria on the return leg of the journey.

Edited by brisalta

1 hour ago, voljeep said:

one more test at the pier is a HUGE deal, sorry regardless of vac status and "previous" testing - just ask those people who were negative showing up at the pier and then test positive with no symptoms - ask them if it's no big deal ...

Would you really want people who test positive at the pier to be allowed on ship. I wouldn’t 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, brisalta said:

I tried responding with more details but for some reason the reply is hidden!

I think you may have misconstrued my reply.

Basically it is vaccination, testing, and AriveCan information. This is for cruise out of San Francisco with a stop in Victoria on the return leg of the journey.

Yes. I thought you wrote that you were retesting at the pier. This is what I got. Screenshot_20220419-133020_Gmail.thumb.jpg.1982578d7e31061f11b96a1da820dd84.jpg

No mention of another test. 

4 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Yes. I thought you wrote that you were retesting at the pier. This is what I got. Screenshot_20220419-133020_Gmail.thumb.jpg.1982578d7e31061f11b96a1da820dd84.jpg

No mention of another test. 

They sent a pdf similar to a booking notice but with the addition of information regarding vaccination, test result, and AriveCAN

3 hours ago, voljeep said:

?? That's a good thing those people were tested then? 

I mean why not ask the people who tested negative and got to enjoy their cruise knowing they were at lower risk of catching covid because they tested before boarding?

2 hours ago, dog said:

Go look at Facebook posts on Grand. Even mentioned in News about several in quarantine.  Someone has posted the notification from Princess there.  Believe what you want.  By pass posts you have to question with nothing to back yourself up. Please.

36 minutes ago, memoak said:

Still a mystery to me why this is the only person reporting this. The roll call for this cruise is silent on this issue

We at sailing LA to Vancouver on the 30th so should know soon. Set to get a PCR test on the 27th, vaccinated  and boosted and have ArriveCAN ready to enter cruise info prior to sailing (passport and vaccination days already entered. It has been a long 2 years plus

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Coffeeluvr05 said:

We on the 5/20 Ruby sailing out of SF.  Does this mean we will have to do this testing at the pier too?  I need to mentally prepare for the chaos.

You might be able to "mentally prepare" for the chaos at the pier, but it will be physically taxing as well...  try standing for 3-4 hours!

• Like 4

19 hours ago, rj59 said:

I just got a last-minute email from Princess, saying that even though I tested negative this morning, all guests will have to test again at the pier in San Pedro tomorrow. I'm not sure if the testing is a Canada thing, but it makes zero sense and really isn't worth the hassle for me, since there's little chance it will be handled efficiently in the cramped spaces and outside tents in San Pedro. Fortunately I have platinum insurance and a refundable flight on Southwest tomorrow, but the hours spent on hold won't make me eager to return to Princess, and if that becomes a standard requirement for the Alaska season, then it's really going to get ugly in Seattle and Vancouver.  

did the extra test at the pier for Hawaii in January. Very efficient. One hour from Lyft drop-off, through testing, checkin and onboard.

• Like 3