RCI Beverage package increases

2 hours ago, losfp said:

That's a fair point - I guess it's nice to have a bottle that you can pop the lid on instead of having a cup that you have to either drink or carry/leave. But it's not a deal breaker either way. For that price difference I'm more than happy to drink the provided tap water.

We take our own bottles and fill them on board. This is convenient when we go ashore.

We generally don't buy bottled water anywhere, and only get it on the ship if part of a package. We have filtered water at home, so do notice the taste of the ship water - we take Brita water bottles if we don't have a package.

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

We take our own bottles and fill them on board

Are they letting you do this though, just remember the last cruise we did on RCI prior to lockdown they had signs for hygiene reasons NOT to fill water bottles, and were policing it! The only way around it was to fill cups then sit at a table and pour them into your bottle or flask, seemed a bit silly when those on the Soda package could just fill theirs????

As to the refreshment package price, it’s on special now for Memorial Day at $40 per day on our cruise, the same package with Princess is $25 and that’s the regular price! RCI have lifted prices quite a bit across the board, maybe other lines will follow????

Just on another note, I noticed on my cruise personaliser that I can actually add just one Premium beverage package to the cart and then go to check out, previously I couldn’t do that I had to highlight both people in the Cabin? then it would add to the cart for 2 packages, Just wondering it they may have dropped the both people in the cabin have to get the package rule, or maybe its just for this particular sailing we are on?

Edited by Hammer61

5 minutes ago, Hammer61 said:

Are they letting you do this though, just remember the last cruise we did on RCI prior to lockdown they had signs for hygiene reasons NOT to fill water bottles, and were policing it! The only way around it was to fill cups then sit at a table and pour them into your bottle or flask, seemed a bit silly when those on the Soda package could just fill theirs????

I don't suggest that someone should hold their water bottle under the water dispensers in the buffet area. We fill ours from our bathroom tap. I am sure most people clean their teeth using the water in the bathroom sink. If the water wasn't potable, the ship would make sure passengers knew about it. Anyway, it hasn't hurt us in many dozens of cruises.

We have large thermos-style water bottles that are amazing at keeping drinks cool all day so we like to fill up with ice and water before setting out on shore excursions. Because of their size, I wouldn't dream of filling them up directly at the dispenser as there's a hygiene risk having the bottle that close. I'm happy enough to fill up cups and then transfer into the bottle - that's what we've done on our last couple of cruises.

8 minutes ago, losfp said:

I'm happy enough to fill up cups and then transfer into the bottle - that's what we've done on our last couple of cruises.

That’s what we do, but plenty of people were trying to fill bottles directly, even crew in the gym!!!! Hence the Policing.

They have offered a water package on previous cruises, buy 12 or 24 big bottles/cans, bit on the expensive side but they do leave them in your room before you board, so handy, but on our cruise we are booked on they don’t have that option, unless it’s only available on board?

Just received latest sale price of $113aud from Royal for the UBP per day. At the local RSL i pay $5.50 a Schooner. Have always purchased this and the 5 night Dining package, but on the 2cruises I have this year will use my vouchers and just purchase a la carte. Chops Grill at $92, has to be joke of the year, starting to worry all is not well on the Dark Side.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, beatleman said:

Just received latest sale price of $113aud from Royal for the UBP per day. At the local RSL i pay $5.50 a Schooner. Have always purchased this and the 5 night Dining package, but on the 2cruises I have this year will use my vouchers and just purchase a la carte. Chops Grill at $92, has to be joke of the year, starting to worry all is not well on the Dark Side.

I just read that Carnival (total for all their brands) is US$36 billion in debt. Crikey. I don't know what Royal Caribbean/Celebrity debt is.  Not as much as Carnival I would assume as Carnival Corp owns 50% of the world's cruise ships.

26 minutes ago, beatleman said:

They are out to make money.

I was reading about the prices on cocoa cay .
I think they are charging to breathe  the air now.

A bungalow is about in about $4,000 .

1 ride on the flying fox is about $200.

The water slides are about $200 also 

If Lelepa ever gets built that’s what we can expect.

Edited by Chiliburn
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

They are out to make money.

I was reading about the prices on cocoa cay .
I think they are charging to breathe  the air now.

A bungalow is about in about $4,000 .

1 ride on the flying fox is about $200.

The water slides are about $200 also 

If Lelepa ever gets built that’s what we can expect.

Plus the tipping/gratuities etc, but the Americans like that sort of thing, you know the culture.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Plus the tipping/gratuities etc, but the Americans like that sort of thing, you know the culture.

I was reading Carnival my sell one of their brands ,seaborne?

I believe some of the Arab oil states are already into carnival with shares and loans.They want seaborne.

The cracks are starting to show on both groups.

Edited by Chiliburn

28 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

I was reading Carnival my sell one of their brands ,seaborne?

I believe some of the Arab oil states are already into carnival with shares and loans.They want seaborne.

The cracks are starting to show on both groups.

Yes, there was a lot of Saudi money sunk into Carnival's bond issues. They have recently released another billion worth. Not so sure about big cracks with either line, but operating cash. 

Crystal cruises would be a much easier target for the Saudis than Seabourn. Still, if Carnival ever defaults on those bonds, they would be good collateral.

55 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Yes, there was a lot of Saudi money sunk into Carnival's bond issues. They have recently released another billion worth. Not so sure about big cracks with either line, but operating cash. 

Crystal cruises would be a much easier target for the Saudis than Seabourn. Still, if Carnival ever defaults on those bonds, they would be good collateral.

There has been a report that the Saudi Sovereign wealth fund is involved in discussions with Carnival Corp to buy Seabourn. The report said that the asking price is the stickler at the moment.

• Like 1

we all know they are out to make money cruising s a multi national multi billion dollar industry, we are all trying to come back from the pandemic lock downs etc.. but it seems to me to be a poor business decision pricing the drink packages so high the so called "30%" off and price is still more than double what a consumer paid prior.. as per my other comment new trend seems to me at least that most will now opt to either pay as we go or just opt out of the packages all together favoring the free however crappy coffee and cordial for some it maybe the deciding factor as to take a cruise or not or change lines.

it takes away a big part of the cruise experience

we are on b2b cruises the first of which is 9 nights my beverage package at "30%" off will be NZ$395.73 

the wife soda package NZ$157.14 we simply cant justify that and we are sailing for 28 nights total I'm all for splurging a bit we are on holiday after all but its become silly now our solution for the first sailing at least will be take on a dozen soda cans and a couple of boxes of sachet cappuccinos hoping to get off between sailings and restock.

Edited by surferman123
spelling and added to

3 hours ago, surferman123 said:

we all know they are out to make money cruising s a multi national multi billion dollar industry, we are all trying to come back from the pandemic lock downs etc.. but it seems to me to be a poor business decision pricing the drink packages so high the so called "30%" off and price is still more than double what a consumer paid prior.. as per my other comment new trend seems to me at least that most will now opt to either pay as we go or just opt out of the packages all together favoring the free however crappy coffee and cordial for some it maybe the deciding factor as to take a cruise or not or change lines.

it takes away a big part of the cruise experience

we are on b2b cruises the first of which is 9 nights my beverage package at "30%" off will be NZ$395.73 

the wife soda package NZ$157.14 we simply cant justify that and we are sailing for 28 nights total I'm all for splurging a bit we are on holiday after all but its become silly now our solution for the first sailing at least will be take on a dozen soda cans and a couple of boxes of sachet cappuccinos hoping to get off between sailings and restock.

If you are doing a B2B you can take your second cruise allowance on boarding day and they will hold it . Also you can take 2 bottles of wine.

With your coffee,I sometimes take a coffee plunger.

They used to have kettles,get some cream or milk from the buffet.

Edited by Chiliburn
  • Like 1

Not sure how much truth there is in this but from talking to someone today about cruising in general was told if you buy the RCI PBP when you board the ship from the welcome tables that are selling them they will sell you just the one, you will pay a higher price as very rarely is it discounted in the same way as it is pre purchasing though.

Has anyone done or heard of this?

1 hour ago, Hammer61 said:

Not sure how much truth there is in this but from talking to someone today about cruising in general was told if you buy the RCI PBP when you board the ship from the welcome tables that are selling them they will sell you just the one, you will pay a higher price as very rarely is it discounted in the same way as it is pre purchasing though.

Has anyone done or heard of this?

That’s correct.

Just go to any bar or as you said the welcome table. 
‘Tell them your traveling partner just doesn’t want to drink.

They will try to sell your partner a lower package but jut say no,they don’t want to drink.

They won’t argue as it’s not their job.

But if your partner does buy a lot of alcohol    , they can charge  the package.

• 3 months later...

I was just reading that in the UK RCI have been offering the Drinks package at 43 GBP per night on sailings over 7 days, that’s the equivalent of A$73 and includes the Gratuity!!!!

Guess like Australia the US$ is so strong it’s maybe affecting business and bookings in non US cruise locations, especially as the $US is the on board currency.

Fingers crossed a similar deal is offered down under.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Hammer61 said:

I was just reading that in the UK RCI have been offering the Drinks package at 43 GBP per night on sailings over 7 days, that’s the equivalent of A$73 and includes the Gratuity!!!!

Guess like Australia the US$ is so strong it’s maybe affecting business and bookings in non US cruise locations, especially as the $US is the on board currency.

Fingers crossed a similar deal is offered down under.

You’re dreaming 

• Haha 1