RCI Beverage package increases

13 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

I agree. The fluctuating prices are very puzzling and the price of the RCI drinks package makes the $40 one for Princess that also included wi-fi, a real steal.

Absolutely. I'm kinda regretting booking now. Especially seeing as though one of the travelers has decided the Covid risk will be too high (we booked when it looked like vaccines also offered significant transmission reduction). Having to look for someone else to join me. 

Wondering whether just to write off the non-refundable deposit and look elsewhere. Though I'm really keen to try the Quantum class. 

47 minutes ago, CDaze71 said:

WOW these prices are so expensive. My Princess Plus Premier Drinks Package at AUD$40 pp/pd is looking very good value. Looking forward to making very good use of it in June.

And the Princess Plus fare also includes internet. It's an excellent deal.

• Like 2

Yeah the PP deal is especially good if you're a previous cruiser - we are getting the PP deal in Jan for $30 pppd.  We have never taken the drink package before but this was too good to pass up.

We are considering our first RCL cruise next year, and by the sound of things, we will simply go the Pay As You Go option!!

6 minutes ago, losfp said:

Yeah the PP deal is especially good if you're a previous cruiser - we are getting the PP deal in Jan for $30 pppd.  We have never taken the drink package before but this was too good to pass up.

We are considering our first RCL cruise next year, and by the sound of things, we will simply go the Pay As You Go option!!

Yes, although that only applies to cruises under the 3 for Free promo. It went back to $40 for the new releases which aren't under that promo.

We tried the Princess drinks package a few years ago when it was $59 pp per day. It was borderline cost effective for us. We had issues getting wine with dinner in the MDR on a couple of cruises so gave up on the drinks package after that. I tracked our drinks spending on a 2019 35 night cruise and it averaged out at just under $54pp per day, and we did indulge in a few expensive bottles of wine on that cruise. It will be interesting to see how effective the drinks service is now under the Plus fare and Medallion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

We have decided not to take the Princess drinks package. We don't drink enough to justify $80 per day so will take some bottles of wine on board and pay the corkage.

Remember it's actually only $52/$66 a day for drinks. The included internet package is $14pp per day, but Platinum and Elites get that for half price which makes the drinks package portion more. But, of course, if you don't want internet either then pay-as-you-go is sensible.

11 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Remember it's actually only $52/$66 a day for drinks. The included internet package is $14pp per day, but Platinum and Elites get that for half price which makes the drinks package portion more. But, of course, if you don't want internet either then pay-as-you-go is sensible.

On a seven-night cruise we don't really need internet. Pay as we go for drinks using up our OBC, makes sense. The cost of the premium package is paid up-front as part of the fare. That would leave us with a couple of hundred dollars of OBC to use up.

Edited by Aus Traveller

42 minutes ago, qbay46 said:

Seeing the drinks packages have gone up so much it would be interesting to know how much brink prices are now, eg a beer, glass of wine or a spirts drink and a cocktail 

This in $US and there’s 18% gratuity on top and I think RC is a bit more ambitious with the Australian market.

https://realworldmachine.com/travel/cruise/royal-caribbean-beverage-package-calculator/?fbclid=IwAR24wtyamT_Fzib1cukOi1-I7nb6LLrxgetSsmPh0Y9PH2M9onyYgdIqvtg

1 hour ago, Chiliburn said:

This in $US and there’s 18% gratuity on top and I think RC is a bit more ambitious with the Australian market.

Thanks, it’s quite useful, need to adjust the pricing as it’s a couple of years old, if you download the RCL App you can actually see drinks prices for the cruise you are on (as you can food menus!!) currently for our October cruise a standard beer (Heineken etc) for example is now US$7.99, standard spirits are US$9.99, and Wine by the glass from US$8 - $13, most cocktails are also US$13, ALL plus 18%.

Also have to remember the package requires EVERYONE in the cabin to buy it, if your wife/partner is not a drinker you can call up and as long as they purchase a non alcoholic package you can just get the one premium beverage package, but those refreshment packages are not cheap either, A$38 for the cruise im on, so combined with the full beverage package that’s still about A$127 per day………or $2413 for the full cruise.

May well be better off looking at other cruise lines, Celebrity for example may cost a bit more (wish I had, would have been $900 each more or combined $1800 😞) but with drinks AND wifi included, they are usually a bit more expensive but when you factor in the inclusions it may work out cheaper to book with them, then Princess with far more reasonable package prices and you can purchase just the one (unless that’s changed?) both people in the cabin don’t need to buy if one isn’t a drinker.

RCL have also jacked up the dinning packages as well, we were originally on the Radiance and the 3 night dinning package was A$121, on the Ovation we have been transferred to as the Radiance sailing was cancelled along with all bookings that same package is A$162!!!! And ditto across all other dinning packages or restaurants should you book them individually, prices have been substantionely increased.

Edited by Hammer61

3 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

On a seven-night cruise we don't really need internet. Pay as we go for drinks using up our OBC, makes sense. The cost of the premium package is paid up-front as part of the fare. That would leave us with a couple of hundred dollars of OBC to use up.

Fair enough. 

I must admit we'll have to be a bit creative about using our OBC. Might have to have a sailaway party in our suite with canapes and champagne. 

2 hours ago, Hammer61 said:

Thanks, it’s quite useful, need to adjust the pricing as it’s a couple of years old, if you download the RCL App you can actually see drinks prices for the cruise you are on (as you can food menus!!) currently for our October cruise a standard beer (Heineken etc) for example is now US$7.99, standard spirits are US$9.99, and Wine by the glass from US$8 - $13, most cocktails are also US$13, ALL plus 18%.

Also have to remember the package requires EVERYONE in the cabin to buy it, if your wife/partner is not a drinker you can call up and as long as they purchase a non alcoholic package you can just get the one premium beverage package, but those refreshment packages are not cheap either, A$38 for the cruise im on, so combined with the full beverage package that’s still about A$127 per day………or $2413 for the full cruise.

May well be better off looking at other cruise lines, Celebrity for example may cost a bit more (wish I had, would have been $900 each more or combined $1800 😞) but with drinks AND wifi included, they are usually a bit more expensive but when you factor in the inclusions it may work out cheaper to book with them, then Princess with far more reasonable package prices and you can purchase just the one (unless that’s changed?) both people in the cabin don’t need to buy if one isn’t a drinker.

RCL have also jacked up the dinning packages as well, we were originally on the Radiance and the 3 night dinning package was A$121, on the Ovation we have been transferred to as the Radiance sailing was cancelled along with all bookings that same package is A$162!!!! And ditto across all other dinning packages or restaurants should you book them individually, prices have been substantionely increased.

With the Princess Plus fare, $40pp per day, both people have to book that as it's a fare not a package purchase. However if you just buy the drinks package at whatever price it is then one person in a cabin can buy it .

2 hours ago, Hammer61 said:

Another option is a full suite .

When you look at the extras with a grand suite they can be good value. You get the happy hour that runs from 430-730 ,free suite room service ,in my opinion is better than specialty dining. The newer ships have coastal kitchen and internet included.

I have never bought the booze package and I like a few drinks.I think the biggest bill I’ve had at the end of a 2 week cruise was about $300.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Another option is a full suite .

When you look at the extras with a grand suite they can be good value. You get the happy hour that runs from 430-730 ,free suite room service ,in my opinion is better than specialty dining. The newer ships have coastal kitchen and internet included.

I have never bought the booze package and I like a few drinks.I think the biggest bill I’ve had at the end of a 2 week cruise was about $300.

Another option is the star class loft suites - all inclusive, including Harvest, specialty dining, drinks package, bar in your suite, internet. An absolutely awesome suite for sure, but a bit dearer than a drinks package.

7 hours ago, arxcards said:

Another option is the star class loft suites - all inclusive, including Harvest, specialty dining, drinks package, bar in your suite, internet. An absolutely awesome suite for sure, but a bit dearer than a drinks package.

Star class can be good value but not for me.

On a NZ cruise I was talking to a older couple in the suite lounge who ended being one of the wealthiest families  in Sydney.

They where very down to earth and I said wouldn’t silver seas be more your style.
They said they prefer Ovation because they can take the whole extended family and there’s something for everyone.

They get a butler, they can have family get togethers in our cabin ,food and drink parties.

They ever got a babysitter for the grand kids in their cabin.

As they said ,silver seas you can’t do that.

Not that we are big drinkers any more, i booked a Celebrity cruise last year for a cruise in Australia latter this year, i got premium drinks package and premium wi-fi as well as $1000au OBC for the cruise, i think i did ok on that booking.

On our RCI cruise we only get our four drinks a day on our cards, so those and a couple of drinks we pay for as we go will be plenty, we can get our coffee from the diamond club.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, qbay46 said:

On our RCI cruise we only get our four drinks a day on our cards, so those and a couple of drinks we pay for as we go will be plenty, we can get our coffee from the diamond club.

That is how we do it on RCI cruises.

$89 a day with a 25% discount for our October cruise. We have been on 15 Royal cruise's. This is the most I have ever seen it. There is no Drinks+WIFI package available.

image.thumb.png.575ca1b91026ce33b20528106513cc9a.png

Edited by SuitesRbest

15 hours ago, Hammer61 said:

Ooph. With the dollar at 75c you're talking $20 cocktails. Which, while that is similar to what it is on land, I tend to imbibe a little more at sea...😁

Grateful to snag the package for about $80 then

4 hours ago, qbay46 said:

3 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

That is how we do it on RCI cruises.

this is us too, although I usually get a coffee card also - we are on holidays after all, and as they say, life's too short for poor coffee! 🙂 

Do the RCI soft drink packages tend to vary so much as well? Just curious because if we go RCI next year, we would likely only get soft drink packages because we don't drink much alcohol.