Mask mandate removed from US airlines

mdpa

Great news for us in the US flying to our cruise! We’ll be flying on United in June and it will be very nice to not wear a mask for our trip.

Edit: United, American, Delta, Southwest and Alaska are among the carriers dropping the mandate so far.

Edited by mdpa
  • Like 3

After reading more details in the Wall Street Journal article this morning, the ruling impacts almost all public transportation in the United States:

“A fed­eral judge in Flor­ida de­clared the Biden ad­min­is­tra­tion’s Covid-19 mask man­date for pub­lic trans­porta­tion un­law­ful, throw-ing out its re­quire­ment that trav­el­ers in the U.S. wear masks on air­planes, trains, taxis, buses and other forms of mass tran­sit.”

Looks like most airlines made the changes effective immediately, with some airlines removing the unlawful restrictions mid-flight. Amtrak also made masks optional.

• Like 1

The US carriers have been lobbying the Biden administration to drop the masks for some time now..  So of course they acted when given the opportunity.  The recent two week mask policy extension by the CDC was to expire on May 3 as well.

When is the need to test before travelling to the US airport due to be reviewed?  Most other countries have dropped it. 

Edited by uktog
  • Like 2

I would also imagine it would depend of the rules of the country being travelled to or from. We travelled from Rome to Italy and masks were required by BA even though the UK has dropped the requirement and Heathrow has as well. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, uktog said:

When is the need to test before travelling to the US airport due to be reviewed?  Most other countries have dropped it. 

I just bought a 6-pack of the emed tests with remote monitoring ($150) to be sure we had something in hand for our return after cruising (we have a couple of weeks of land travel).  I'll be content if that turns out to have been unneeded insurance, but I didn't want to bet on sanity striking in Washington. 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, uktog said:

I have just watched on CNN that most European countries are considered high risk for the US in terms of COVID. I do not know about the UK. This means that testing will remain for a while.

Ivi

Now that masks aren't required on planes, I wish there would be a way to be sure the people seated nearby would be continuing to use them.  (From a disease prevention/public health standpoint, I think it's too soon to give them up, even tho people are tired of wearing them.)
Does anyone remember the smoking and non-smoking sections in planes?

Edited by kaymoz
  • Like 6