Honest reviews on MDR beef dishes?

baelor

Our party is sailing for the first time on RC (or ever) on the Symphony, and we have a 3-night specialty dining package.  The "obvious" answer to my title question is "try them and see," but we can't because we need to decide what nights to book specialty dining and this is our first time cruising.  There are a couple nights where the beef dish on the MDR is the main/only appeal for us, so any insight is appreciated.  The dishes we are curious about are:

Slow-roasted prime rib (potato croquette, broccoli, and horseradish au jus)

Roasted beef tenderloin (mashed potatoes, asparagus, and a rich morel mushroom sauce)

Braised beef short rib (Cab reduction, roasted root veggies, mashed potatoes)

Beef stroganoff (paprika-mushroom sauce, linguine)

New York strip steak (herb butter/green peppercorn sauce, baked potato, seasonal veggies)

We know that food is "subjective," but we would still appreciate your insight on the above.  Especially pretty basic stuff:  Was the beef super fatty?  Was it over- or under-done?  Was it seasoned?  Were the sides seasoned?  Were they pure mush? etc.

We are also aware that preparation/quality depends on the ship/trip.  But we have to make decisions on some basis, so...

5 minutes ago, baelor said:

Slow-roasted prime rib (potato croquette, broccoli, and horseradish au jus)

Roasted beef tenderloin (mashed potatoes, asparagus, and a rich morel mushroom sauce)

Braised beef short rib (Cab reduction, roasted root veggies, mashed potatoes)

Beef stroganoff (paprika-mushroom sauce, linguine)

New York strip steak (herb butter/green peppercorn sauce, baked potato, seasonal veggies)

on our November 2021 Harmony cruise only beef stroganoff was bad. It had pickles in it. Awful. I gave it a try, but it was just not worth it. I like pickles just fine, but not in my pasta dish.

I loved all the other beef dishes.

Now, since the industry has been experiencing shortages (supply chain issues), I'd cut them some slack.

Tenderloin

1265914996_20211126_192902tenderloin.thumb.jpg.1788c209eeb1690128535c8223546d08.jpg

I don't remember what this was called, but it was good: It's probably the tenderloin judging by your description.

20211123_183903.thumb.jpg.49b80924fdc79ad02a18efd976f88ec4.jpg

Beef stroganoff231358890_20211122_183434beefstroganoff.thumb.jpg.1d83a472abb8c6772576ddaebc9b3a06.jpg

Prime rib (pic is upside down for some reason)1203622607_20211121_204811primerib.thumb.jpg.9bbc01769a91e92eb5486dc77957aefd.jpg

Steak Diane, which is the same NY strip steak but has a mushroom-wine sauce. I didn't like the sauce, but the steak itself was fine.141930536_20211127_192840steakdiane.thumb.jpg.16e9d1760a48e8e8b91cf5884b4fef10.jpg

Not listed but my favorite beef dish is the short ribs. Its boneless like a roast and fork tender. Other than lobster it's the one meal I dont miss.

Strip steak is every night in case you dont like what's on the menu. It was very good feb 6. Last b2b. My brand new waiter got the order wrong and 2nd one wasnt as good as before. Next week the one  night I wanted it they ran out. Had steak diane on the menu he said used it up. I think that's a sauce and never tried steak diane. I like my steak plain and mw.

• Like 2

The prime rib is a pass for me. I'm not sure if it's just the quality of the beef but the flavor and texture is not good. I had a surprisingly good piece of steak in the Windjammer on Navigator recently. Chops is reliable but the portions are huge. The petite filet is just right.

The tenderloin and short rib tend to be good. You'll enjoy both of those.

Prime rib by its very nature just doesn't appeal to me, but RC's is no worse than anywhere else I've had it. The flavor is fine, but with all that fat it just seems more effort than it's worth when dining.

The stroganoff is dull, but I think all stroganoff is dull, so I'm not a good opinion on that. Note if you're ordering gluten-free, this is one of the few MDR dishes we've found that they don't create a very good substitute for.

Strip steak, I've never had a good steak on an RC cruise, but I'm a steak snob since I buy beef in bulk from a local butcher at home. The strip steak in particular just had a strange texture to it.  It was cooked correctly though.

Edited by smokeybandit

I'm not a big beef eater but my hubby always enjoys the prime rib, short ribs and we both enjoy the beef tenderloin.   We usually ask for med rare.   

We just did a b2b and out of 3 prime rib dinners there was only cut that was too fatty.   He asked for a different piece and the next one was perfect.   

We avoid the strip steak, never had a good one.   Too thin and usually overcooked.  

We usually do chops at least once and have always enjoyed their filet mignon.  The 9 oz was too much for me but it was so good I ate all of it.  the peitite 6 oz is perfect size..    Their creamed spinach was horrible.  Used to be delicious.

Wow!  Thanks for all the responses so far.  That sounds about right--tenderloin and short ribs are the most appealing to us.

@Itchy&Scratchy thanks for all the pictures!  The tenderloin looks great, although the broccoli in the first pic looks pretty sad lol. 

That stroganoff looks like a total abomination.  The choice of noodles (linguine?) is also very bizarre.  

The prime rib looks way overdone, although perhaps that is personal preference.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sunshine3601 said:

We usually do chops at least once and have always enjoyed their filet mignon.  The 9 oz was too much for me but it was so good I ate all of it.  the peitite 6 oz is perfect size..    Their creamed spinach was horrible.  Used to be delicious.

We are debating which specialty restaurants to hit up (3-night package).  I know Chops is a classic, but the beef tenderloin at 150 Central Park seems really, really good.  I am admittedly a steak snob, and I am worried that I will be disappointed in Chops compared to my favorite on-land steakhouses.

3 minutes ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

I find it to be inconsistent from one cruise to another, and also from one plate to another (his was very good, mine was a huge plate of fat).  The steak in the Windjammer was better than any of the beef I tried in the MDR.

I am sorry to hear about your plate variation, although I find the image of a nice beef cut next to a pile of beef fat comical.  It sounds like we should try the WJ steak at least once to compare if nothing else.

10 minutes ago, baelor said:

The prime rib looks way overdone, although perhaps that is personal preference.

the photo may be too dark, but it was a perfect medium - pink and tender. It was very dark in the MDR, so the pics are not of the finest quality 🙂

We are not really steak snobs, but I love steaks (ribeye) and I don't mind a bit of fat. DH loves filets and hates fat.

DS also tried the kid steak from the kid's menu (he was 10 and really wanted to try a steak), but he didn't like it. I liked it ok for a kid steak, cooked medium-well.

We never get specialty dining. 

1 minute ago, Sherman793 said:

Hard pass on the Stroganoff. The rest is not terrible the braised beef is one of the most tender dishes and well worth eating. Hope you have a great trip!

Thanks!  Sounds like the stroganoff dislike is pretty widespread...

• Like 1

150 Central Park generally is the highest rated specialty restaurant (of those that interest me)   I found it to be true on my last cruise.   We absolutely loved it, great atmosphere, exceptional service & quality plating.  We really enjoyed our meal there.

• Like 1

Just now, ULCajunCruiser said:

150 Central Park generally is the highest rated specialty (of those that interest me)   I found it to be true on my last cruise.   We absolutely loved it, great atmosphere, exceptional service & quality plating.  We really enjoyed our meal there.

Yeah that seems to be the case.  Out of the more American/French/steak-style restaurants on board, its menu was the most appealing.  I guess some view it as fancy or frou frou but its menu seems pretty unpretentious but good.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, baelor said:

We are debating which specialty restaurants to hit up (3-night package).  I know Chops is a classic, but the beef tenderloin at 150 Central Park seems really, really good.  I am admittedly a steak snob, and I am worried that I will be disappointed in Chops compared to my favorite on-land steakhouses.

If you are trying to measure chops to your favorite steakhouse, you might want to prepare for disappointment.   I’ve always enjoyed chops, but some people expect it to equate to a premium steakhouse on land.  It doesn’t imo.  It is very good, don’t get me wrong.  Just enjoy it for what it is.   Note: some folks on here give really bad reviews of chops.  

1 minute ago, topnole said:

If you are trying to measure chops to your favorite steakhouse, you might want to prepare for disappointment.   I’ve always enjoyed chops, but some people expect it to equate to a premium steakhouse on land.  It doesn’t imo.  It is very good, don’t get me wrong.  Just enjoy it for what it is.   Note: some folks on here give really bad reviews of chops.  

Thanks.  I think our inclination at this point is to skip Chops and opt for 150 CP, Wonderland, and a third restaurant (maybe either Jamie's or Hooked).

Just now, joeyancho said:

The stroganoff is downright weird.   I sent it back.   The braised short rib is not to be missed.  The tenderloin is also terrific.  

I will need to learn to be (politely) assertive on board; I seem to struggle with sending things back even though I know the kitchen would rather me be happy and would rather know that a dish is not working.

That being said, it sounds like there is a decent consensus:  Tenderloin & short rib = good; stroganoff = *****.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ULCajunCruiser said:

150 Central Park generally is the highest rated specialty restaurant (of those that interest me)   I found it to be true on my last cruise.   We absolutely loved it, great atmosphere, exceptional service & quality plating.  We really enjoyed our meal there.

They all have their own chefs.   So they did vary by ship and I wouldn’t say this is universal.   I have read recent reviews of 150 that are very critical.   Apparently it has changed yet again.  A few years ago I found it to my liking.  I’ll find out again soon.  

Just now, topnole said:

I have read recent reviews of 150 that are very critical.  

Do you remember what some of the criticisms were?  I confess that I have pretty much seen only positive reviews.

3 minutes ago, baelor said:

Thanks.  I think our inclination at this point is to skip Chops and opt for 150 CP, Wonderland, and a third restaurant (maybe either Jamie's or Hooked).

I would do chops over wonderland and hooked over Jamie’s.  Definitely read some reviews of wonderland (good and bad). 

1 minute ago, baelor said:

Do you remember what some of the criticisms were?  I confess that I have pretty much seen only positive reviews.

No.  I’ll probably be there soon to know in person.  It’s food, so grain of salt is always required.