Opening balconies with neighbor

CruisingLover

Hi

I believe it can be done but, just to make sure......

On the NCL Bliss, deck 14 aft balcony cabins, can you have the partition between the balconies opened up? There are 3 couplse traveling and would like to open them up to create 1 long balcony. We just did it on Princess and, we've also had it done on an NCL cruise to Alaska (with 6 cabins!).

TIA
Tracy

Just now, JGmf said:

There's already relatively, really long string on this.

In short, the answer is NO.  NCL doesn't allow it.

Oops, sorry.  However, NCL does allow it because we've had it done before (by our cabin steward). I just wasn't sure if the AFT facing balconies allowed for it, was possible or may be bolted in. 

19 minutes ago, complawyer said:

ncl policy is strictly a "no" on opening the balcony dividers if your steward opened them for you, he jeopardized his job, and you lucked out!

Interesting. Well, I HOPE he didn't lose his job! But also, he didn't seem like it was a big deal, didn't feel like he was sneaking around to do it.

Edited by CruisingLover

NCL used to allow it.

However, since 2019 (but, probably earlier) the "policy has been NO"!

Below is another thread regarding the subject. *Post # 13 is very interesting!!!

Edited by ggTexasGal
added info
  • Like 1

On our last Caribbean cruise we spoke to the concierge and they allowed the dividers open when we were in port.  It wasn't an immediate yes, we had to REALLY ask. The steward would come in and open them after we docked and came to close them just before we left.  We really wanted them open when we were at sea and relaxing on the balcony but they said it wasn't possible. 

2 hours ago, CruisingLover said:

Oops, sorry.  However, NCL does allow it because we've had it done before (by our cabin steward). I just wasn't sure if the AFT facing balconies allowed for it, was possible or may be bolted in. 

It might add something to the conversation if you shared exactly *when* you were able to get this done.  I have been able to get it done on both Princess and Carnival...but it was at least 5 or 6 years ago.  I may be wrong...but I *believe* the rules changed for ALL cruise lines after the Star Princess fire (2006) that was worsened by many dividers being opened.  Fire was supposedly started by smoking on a balcony.  That's also when that was nixed.

29 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

I may be wrong...but I *believe* the rules changed for ALL cruise lines after the Star Princess fire (2006) that was worsened by many dividers being opened. 

It wasn't open dividers that was the problem. Firefighters had to chop their way from one balcony to the next to get to the fire. 

Dividers have the ability to open so firefighters can easily get to the fire. Dividers are there to help prevent the spread of fire. 

The materials used for the dividers changed as a result of that fire. 

Fire was supposedly started by smoking on a balcony.

The fire (according to the MAIB report) started on a balcony but the cigarette that likely started it could have come from many places. Knowing the direction of the wind at the time and the direction that the ship was sailing, someone from an upper deck could have (for ex.) flicked a cigarette which landed back onto the ship. 

That's also when that was nixed.

Some lines still allow smoking on balconies. NCL doesn't, though. 

Edited by Two Wheels Only

5 hours ago, CruisingLover said:

NCL does NOT allow it now.  It is a fire hazard.  Any cabin steward who does open up the partition risk losing his job over doing so.

3 hours ago, cassie55 said:

On our last Caribbean cruise we spoke to the concierge and they allowed the dividers open when we were in port.  It wasn't an immediate yes, we had to REALLY ask. The steward would come in and open them after we docked and came to close them just before we left.  We really wanted them open when we were at sea and relaxing on the balcony but they said it wasn't possible. 

"REALLY ask", as opposed to just asking? LOL.

5 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

It might add something to the conversation if you shared exactly *when* you were able to get this done.  I have been able to get it done on both Princess and Carnival...but it was at least 5 or 6 years ago.  I may be wrong...but I *believe* the rules changed for ALL cruise lines after the Star Princess fire (2006) that was worsened by many dividers being opened.  Fire was supposedly started by smoking on a balcony.  That's also when that was nixed.

It was Norwegian Pearl in July of 2013

8 hours ago, CruisingLover said:

Hi

I believe it can be done but, just to make sure......

On the NCL Bliss, deck 14 aft balcony cabins, can you have the partition between the balconies opened up? There are 3 couplse traveling and would like to open them up to create 1 long balcony. We just did it on Princess and, we've also had it done on an NCL cruise to Alaska (with 6 cabins!).

TIA
Tracy

Opening of balcony dividers, regardless of location, is against safety rules and is not permitted. 

• Like 2

From  the Freestyle Dailies on a Getaway cruise beginning of February 2022:

Quote: BALCONIES SAFETY PARTITIONS: As per Safety requirement, requests for partitions of adjacent balconies to be opened are not allowed. End of quote.

image.jpeg.23f385306fa90655673fc6bea337762a.jpeg

Edited by TrumpyNor
  • Like 1

On 4/23/2022 at 8:29 PM, MoCruiseFan said:

Do you have to tip the cabin steward to open the dividers?  If so how much is customary?

Hey Mike A thanks for getting it.  It seems that some didn't/  Next time I guess I'll have to lead off my post with "(HUMOR ALERT)"  LOL...