Mask policy for cruising in Europe

whiteowl uk

I am getting extremely frustrated with Oceania's mask policy.  They state it is an EU regulation that masks must be worn at all times.  I have searched high and low for this policy and it does not appear to exist.

I have checked the policy with Viking, P&O, Celebrity and MSC, none of them require compulsory mask wearing onboard on European sailings

I am presently on the Nautica. Masks (K-95) are mandatory at all indoor venues except when eating or drinking.  Believe me, you better follow the rules. Whether this is Oceania’s rules or EU rules, follow them.  

it is not pretty right now.  I’ve been in isolation for 8 days and DH for 4.  We followed all the rules and still got sick.  

People don’t report their symptoms and infect others.  Everybody pays a price for that.

Those staying on in Lisbon to Civitavecchia had to be tested and quite a few tested positive.

Terri

Edited by Cruzin Terri

10 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

I am presently on the Nautica. Masks (K-95) are mandatory at all indoor venues except when eating or drinking.  Believe me, you better follow the rules. Whether this is Oceania’s rules or EU rules, follow them.  

it is not pretty right now.  I’ve been in isolation for 8 days and DH for 4.  We followed all the rules and still got sick. 

Terri

Very sorry to hear that Terri.  I am sure it must have ruined your cruise.

However, Oceania hiding behind non existent EU rules is not acceptable when it is clearly an Oceania specific issue at present.  I understand there were many cases on Marina and Riviera transatlantic crossings as well.

I think you will find what you are looking for in this document. The EU Healthy Gateways is the organization that covers cruiseships. Look at Annex 1 Pages 47-51 and you should see the regulations that they are abiding by. I researched this the other day and found it useful. https://www.healthygateways.eu/Portals/0/plcdocs/EUHG_Operational_guidelines_CoV_April2022.pdf?ver=2022-04-06-152525-527

• Thanks 1

Just now, whiteowl uk said:

You are missing the point. 

Oceania does not require masks outside Europe but is quoting a non existent rule for Europe. We need some consistency here.

Well, several other Ocean and River cruises have also gone back to requiring masks due to this non-existent rule for the EU!  Here is the latest from Viking: 

As of April 1st, Viking passengers are free to explore destinations independent of ship excursions.
Until May 1st, passengers are now required once again to wear masks on board based upon some European countries reinstating mask mandates. Unclear if that will be extended after May 1st.

From page 29, section 9.6 of Healthy Gateways document. Note masks are recommended, not required. it goes on to say face masks "should" be used, but not mandated.

1. 9.6. Preventing droplet transmission by the use of face masks
    Cruise ships are semi-closed environments with common areas that may allow extended

periods of close contact between people. As described in Annex 1, it is recommended that 29

crew members and passengers use medical face masks (and that strategies to improve fit9 are considered). Respirators (e.g. FFP2 standard or equivalent) could also be considered for crew members and passengers.

9 minutes ago, DSMColorado said:

I think you will find what you are looking for in this document. The EU Healthy Gateways is the organization that covers cruiseships. Look at Annex 1 Pages 47-51 and you should see the regulations that they are abiding by. I researched this the other day and found it useful. https://www.healthygateways.eu/Portals/0/plcdocs/EUHG_Operational_guidelines_CoV_April2022.pdf?ver=2022-04-06-152525-527

I have looked at this document and I quote

"The EU HEALTHY GATEWAYS Joint Action has received funding from the European Union, in the framework of the Third Health Programme (2014-2020). The content of this document represents the views of the author only and is his/her sole responsibility; it cannot be considered to reflect the views of the European Commission and/or the Consumers, Health, Agriculture and Food Executive Agency (CHAFEA) or any other body of the European Union. The European Commission and the Agency do not accept any responsibility for use that may be made of the information it contains".

Here is the quote from Oceania SailSafe

"For all voyages embarking from European gateways, EU regulations mandate that all guests must wear face masks at all times when outside of their stateroom or suite except when actively eating or drinking."

I am certainly not anti mask in the correct circumstances but Oceania is deliberately misleading us by stating it is an EU regulation.

Just now, whiteowl uk said:

I have looked at this document and I quote

"The EU HEALTHY GATEWAYS Joint Action has received funding from the European Union, in the framework of the Third Health Programme (2014-2020). The content of this document represents the views of the author only and is his/her sole responsibility; it cannot be considered to reflect the views of the European Commission and/or the Consumers, Health, Agriculture and Food Executive Agency (CHAFEA) or any other body of the European Union. The European Commission and the Agency do not accept any responsibility for use that may be made of the information it contains".

Here is the quote from Oceania SailSafe

"For all voyages embarking from European gateways, EU regulations mandate that all guests must wear face masks at all times when outside of their stateroom or suite except when actively eating or drinking."

I am certainly not anti mask in the correct circumstances but Oceania is deliberately misleading us by stating it is an EU regulation.

And then so is Viking deliberately misleading their customers: 

Until May 1st, passengers are now required once again to wear masks on board based upon some European countries reinstating mask mandates. Unclear if that will be extended after May 1st.

When we were onboard Marina this Winter, the mask rulings changed several times depending upon where we were sailing in Europe and the mask mandates of those countries.........I would expect that this will continue to be a fluid situation, just as it is in the US, for the foreseeable future.   I do not see this as Oceania deliberately requiring mask onboard to be deceptive.    

• Like 5

Terri, I’m so sorry you’ve had such a bad experience on your cruise.  We cancelled our last scheduled Riviera cruise because of the virus and mask mandates.  We’re afraid to reschedule.  Here in Florida several of our vaccinated friends have gotten Covid but their symptoms were very mild - sneezing, runny nose, cough for a maximum of three days.  No fever or serious lung issues.  So I’m wondering how you all are doing.  Was this any worse than a cold?  I’m thinking the fact that this virus is so contagious is the big issue here.  No one wants  to get sick on a long planned and very expensive vacation.  Hope you all feel good soon and test negative.  I think we’ll delay any plans until things calm down.  Thanks for posting.  It’s very helpful and informative.

• Like 2

Perhaps the issues arise because of using the generic term of Europe. France, Italy, and Spain are all EU countries but have different masking policy. Britain has its own. Therefore while cruising, or docked, in the national waters of any of those member countries the cruise lines must follow the protocols of that country.   My recommendation is to query the regulations of the countries being visited and not “ EU” policy.

Last summer in France, individual cities had their own protocols, which ever more stringent than France’s overall guidelines. When visiting those Cities you adhered to their rules. Those rules sometimes changed daily. 

• Like 3

So a passenger reports they were masked with an N95 mask while on board and yet still caught the latest variant? If indeed it is an EU mandate that is ACCEPTED by Spain, Italy, etc. that is one thing. But Spain no longer requires masking, so is this Healthy Gateways just an advisory? And if even N95's do not stop the latest variant, why bother with masks at all? I ask this semi rhetorically but it is food for thought.

We have a personal choice to cruise or not to cruise. Those who wish to abstain, fine. Those who determine the risk is worth it, fine. But the cruise lines need to get their facts straight as to what is indeed mandated by foreign ports and what is not in real time.

We got on the tour bus at the port to go to Honfloer. We were given the masking policy before the bus left the dock. The tour guide got a text from the City with an all new policy minutes before we arrived. 

The online policy from a week before cruising was worthless. The instructions an hour before arrival were worthless. The enforced policies were those in effect when we stepped off the tour bus.

Can’t stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Roccaforte said:

Terri, I’m so sorry you’ve had such a bad experience on your cruise.  We cancelled our last scheduled Riviera cruise because of the virus and mask mandates.  We’re afraid to reschedule.  Here in Florida several of our vaccinated friends have gotten Covid but their symptoms were very mild - sneezing, runny nose, cough for a maximum of three days.  No fever or serious lung issues.  So I’m wondering how you all are doing.  Was this any worse than a cold?  I’m thinking the fact that this virus is so contagious is the big issue here.  No one wants  to get sick on a long planned and very expensive vacation.  Hope you all feel good soon and test negative.  I think we’ll delay any plans until things calm down.  Thanks for posting.  It’s very helpful and informative.

I initially started with a scratchy throat on April 15.  I self tested and was positive. I reported to the Medical Center.  Their test showed I was negative but that I had a fever.  I isolated anyway.  I continued to worsen and then DH became ill.  We reported again.  This time both of us tested positive and have been isolated since.  Both of us have had fever, sore throats,  and cold-like symptoms.  They are subsiding now and we hope that our tests will be negative on Monday and Tuesday so that we can be released. We followed all the rules always wore the masks, washed our hands, and yet we caught it.  

There were many on the ship that were coughing and sneezing. My thought is that they did not report their symptoms.  That is when everyone pays the price for a selfish few.

Terri

51 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

I initially started with a scratchy throat on April 15.  I self tested and was positive. I reported to the Medical Center.  Their test showed I was negative but that I had a fever.  I isolated anyway.  I continued to worsen and then DH became ill.  We reported again.  This time both of us tested positive and have been isolated since.  Both of us have had fever, sore throats,  and cold-like symptoms.  They are subsiding now and we hope that our tests will be negative on Monday and Tuesday so that we can be released. We followed all the rules always wore the masks, washed our hands, and yet we caught it.  

There were many on the ship that were coughing and sneezing. My thought is that they did not report their symptoms.  That is when everyone pays the price for a selfish few.

Terri

Omicron is a beast . My husband and I are triple vaxxed, very careful wore  KN or  N95’s . Always indoor. Then he caught it and exposed me. Basically a cold except I lost my sense of smell which is returning. I tested positive with at home tests for 13 days . Luckily tested negative yesterday in time to take my cruise leaving Monday. Down to the wire which was stressful . Hopefully will get  immunity from this . I wouldn’t be cavalier about this with just a vaccination . You may not end up in a hospital but having to isolate on a very expensive trip is less than ideal 

And  if you see someone coughing, sneezing etc steer clear . Trust me it’s not allergies or a cold 

So sorry Terri .Hope you test negative  soon 

14 hours ago, whiteowl uk said:

but Oceania is deliberately misleading us by stating it is an EU regulation.

Whether deliberate or mot, it is indeed misleading. There is no Union wide regulation regarding mask wearing and there never has been. Each country sets its own rules in this respect and always has done. We were very recently in Spain for a couple of weeks and, at that time, indoor mask wearing was mandatory (outdoor mandates had been removed some weeks prior). The indoor mandate was scheduled to also be removed and should have come into effect by now.

7 hours ago, JudiK said:

Trust me it’s not allergies or a cold 

No, it could be me, with one of the effects of my COPD. But, fear not, whether there is a mask mandate on board or not, I'll be wearing mine indoors on the ship, just as I choose to do in enclosed spaces (like shops) at home.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, whiteowl uk said:

Very sorry to hear that Terri.  I am sure it must have ruined your cruise.

However, Oceania hiding behind non existent EU rules is not acceptable when it is clearly an Oceania specific issue at present.  I understand there were many cases on Marina and Riviera transatlantic crossings as well.

I agree with you whiteowl UK.  We are sailing today on Regatta and I too am unclear on the policy.  In fact the 48 hour testing requirements were not fully revealed to us until just days before our sailing.  I understand the need to sell cruise cabins, but sugarcoating or hiding policy is deceitful. 

10 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Both of us have had fever, sore throats,  and cold-like symptoms.  

Terri, that sounds just miserable.  I am so sorry for you and your husband, and hope you are better by now.  We are supposed to board Marina in Oslo on June 29...time will tell!

Our neighbors boarded a Viking river cruise (not sure where) and immediately tested positive.  They were whisked off the ship and installed in an airport hotel in Frankfurt, where they spent 9 days.  Luckily for them they weren't ill, but what a miserable way to spend 9 days and about $3K.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, curtdesilets said:

I agree with you whiteowl UK.  We are sailing today on Regatta and I too am unclear on the policy.  In fact the 48 hour testing requirements were not fully revealed to us until just days before our sailing.  I understand the need to sell cruise cabins, but sugarcoating or hiding policy is deceitful. 

48 hours testing before getting embarking has been the rule for months and month now.  It should not be a surprise. 

10 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Terri

"There were many on the ship that were coughing and sneezing. My thought is that they did not report their symptoms".  Are you saying that even though cruisers have cold symptoms, unless they "report" it they are OK to continue their cruise?  

9 minutes ago, bbtondo said:

"There were many on the ship that were coughing and sneezing. My thought is that they did not report their symptoms".  Are you saying that even though cruisers have cold symptoms, unless they "report" it they are OK to continue their cruise?  

No one is running after them and making them report their symptoms.  You are encouraged to report if you are symptomatic but they can’t force you to do so.  They found out when they tested everyone before disembarking in Lisbon.  Then those continuing who were positive were quarantined and those who were disembarking were quarantined on shore.  I don’t know the particulars of that.

Terri

• Like 1

Just now, Cruzin Terri said:

No one is running after them and making them report their symptoms.  You are encouraged to report if you are symptomatic but they can’t force you to do so.  They found out when they tested everyone before disembarking in Lisbon.  Then those continuing who were positive were quarantined and those who were disembarking were quarantined on shore.  I don’t know the particulars of that.

Terri

What if the people that tested positive disembarking in Lisbon were not on an Oceania extension and just staying in Lisbon for a few days on their on?  Does Oceania have any authority regarding this?  Thanks!

I am so sorry that this has happened to you. I wish you the best.

15 minutes ago, bbtondo said:

What if the people that tested positive disembarking in Lisbon were not on an Oceania extension and just staying in Lisbon for a few days on their on?  Does Oceania have any authority regarding this?  Thanks!

I am so sorry that this has happened to you. I wish you the best.

From what I understand from my butler, if they were positive and disembarking in Lisbon, they were put in quarantine on shore.  i do not know any more than that. I think you only needed to be tested in two instances.  If you were going on a plane, or continuing on the cruise.  So I am not sure of your scenario.  Sorry. i guess if you were staying in Lisbon it was not mandatory.

Thank you for your kind wishes.  We get tested tomorrow.  We hope for the best.  We have to have two days in a row of negative testing to get out of  COVID jail.

Terri

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cruzin Terri said:

We get tested tomorrow.  We hope for the best.  We have to have two days in a row of negative testing to get out of  COVID jail.

Terri

So sorry to hear what you are going through.  I'm on Riviera in 3 weeks and getting a bit worried.  Were you able to stay in your cabin and could you order food from any venue on the ship?  I have a bunch of N95 masks that I'm bringing but trying to prepare for the worst case scenarios.

• Like 1