Pacific Explorer Movements

2 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Wanna bet? We had 6-8 metre seas moving across from the eastern side ofTasmania and up the coast towards Sydney once. That's rougher than I've experienced crossing the Tasman. 

I've only been in seas up to 4 metres on a Sun class ship but the ships handled those seas very well.

The waves move about and can be rough anywhere at a given time. It wouldn't have been fun cruising out of Sydney a few weeks ago.

We have done 9-10 metres on a Sun Princess crossing to Noumea after a hybrid east coast low. Yep, it was uncomfortable at times and you had to be drunk to walk straight down the corridors. To magnify this, we had a mini on the back of the ship, so it was like sleeping on a seesaw for 2 nights. The ship handled the rough seas really well.

All the talk about small ships. For five months in 1995, Sun Princess was the largest cruise ship ever built (GRT)

8 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

We usually sail with Princess, but sometimes with P&O. I agree that P&O generally has a younger crowd than Princess, and with it being a short cruise, there will be probably be more younger people than usual. We have never found yahooing on P&O, but we usually go on seven-night cruises. At $450 you can't miss.

Other comparisons with Princess - On P&O you cannot take any alcohol or softdrinks at all on board and you will be asked to empty or drink water in water bottles. On P&O you will see more security personnel than on Princess.

Food - It's OK. Maybe a notch less than Princess. Sometimes in the dining room we found that the icecream servings were teaspoon size, but other times they were OK. We just asked for a couple of servings. A major difference is the buffet. On P&O there is no self-serve. Serving staff behind the glass cabinet place whatever you want on your plate. There is absolutely no table service in the buffet area. Staff will not serve juice or coffee. They simply clear and clean the tables. The buffet isn't open continuously from 6am to 11pm. It is open for a session of a few hours for each mealtime.

Alcohol - Drinks prices are cheaper than on Princess. The MDR will not keep any leftover wine for you for the next night.

Shows in the theatre - Unless they have some new ones, they were awful. We should have realised when we arrived five minutes ahead of the start time and the theatre was only one-third full. Hopefully there will be new shows. There was mention when Pacific Explorer came into Sydney that there were.

Dress in the evenings - There are no formal nights on P&O, just a 'Cocktail night'. The meaning is clear, but I have seen guys in shorts and T-shirts while their girlfriends are really dressed  up. On the seven-night cruises they have a White Night (no explanation required) and a Roaring 20s night. I don't know which ones they will do on a 4-night cruise.

P.S. On the 'cocktail night' there would be literally only a few men wearing suits and no woman in long skirts. Most of the pax wear what you would wear to a  restaurant. The younger crowd seem to put more effort into the Roaring 20s night.

Thanks for the info 👍, but what is a white night ? 

3 hours ago, Hogbay said:

Thanks for the info 👍, but what is a white night ? 

aka Bianco night - Dress in white clothes. 

Gatsby - 20's inspired.

They did also have a back to school theme night, but I think only on 7 cruises 7 nights or longer

Shown here in the atrium, but usually on deck in good weather

Edited by arxcards

1 hour ago, arxcards said:

aka Bianco night - Dress in white clothes. 

Gatsby - 20's inspired.

They did also have a back to school theme night, but I think only on 7 cruises 7 nights or longer

Shown here in the atrium, but usually on deck in good weather

I will be a expert on P&O have a 3,4,8,9 and 10 night . Can't stand Royal Gay band Y.M.C.A night had me turning the other way . Woops, I meant running to another venue  😅 

11 minutes ago, Hogbay said:

I will be a expert on P&O have a 3,4,8,9 and 10 night . Can't stand Royal Gay band Y.M.C.A night had me turning the other way . Woops, I meant running to another venue  😅 

At least you can pack the same outfits.

YMCA - even though the cruise staff dressed as village people, wasn't that just part of a 70's night? Overall, I thought that was a bit of fun.

We have enjoyed Dragon Lady, but think it is time they changed their menu up a bit. It has been the same since they first split the dining room into Angelo's & Dragon Lady. I find that Angelo's is a lot like the dining room, but with a different menu.

Luke's Salt Grill isn't on Explorer which is a shame, just Luke's burger bar and his Chef's Table menu. The P&O dining page currently says that Luke's Bar & Grill will be on Explorer, but I believe it is an error - these are meant to be new on Adventure & Encounter. It is mentioned that there will be a bit of an ala carte menu for dinner from Luke's burger bar, so we are keen to see what that will look like.

The other paid options are 400 Gradi (pizzas) and Shell & Bones. S&B is a nice change, and something we do every time we are on Explorer because we don't have that Salt Grill option.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, arxcards said:

At least you can pack the same outfits.

YMCA - even though the cruise staff dressed as village people, wasn't that just part of a 70's night? Overall, I thought that was a bit of fun.

But it's been the same songs like ground hog day . After the first ten times the fun wears off like every decade there is a lot of music to pick from . I think I blame it on the mobydisk DJ at the blue light disco playing the same list with the YMCA near the end of the night . Any request was " I don't have that " . Then on holidays to QLD and going to a disco seeing everyone else doing the electric slide . Thought the DJ could of made a announcement " Any NSW people that know the YMCA pleas sit down " 🤣

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hogbay said:

I think you may in for a bit of a shock booking all those cruises.

That ship is pretty average.

1 minute ago, Chiliburn said:

No but I saw it at OPT.  If they give it a good clean it may not resemble a Indonesian ferry.

I suppose you know the old phrase "never judge a book by its cover". Maybe it's similar with a cruise ship. Some we have been on had rust marks on the hull, but the interior was sparkling, the crew attentive and activities were interesting, resulting in a great cruise.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

I think you may in for a bit of a shock booking all those cruises.

That ship is pretty average.

Can't shock me ,sailed Fairstar. Any way after Dora going to Carnival for a run . Royal not here yet have her booked from 16 November for a run .

3 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I suppose you know the old phrase "never judge a book by its cover". Maybe it's similar with a cruise ship. Some we have been on had rust marks on the hull, but the interior was sparkling, the crew attentive and activities were interesting, resulting in a great cruise.

True ,a ugly girl can be the best and a stunner can let you down.

But it’s been floating around for 2 years with skeleton crew. I’m booked on it but only for 4 nights and I’m sceptical.

2 minutes ago, Hogbay said:

Can't shock me ,sailed Fairstar. Any way after Dora going to Carnival for a run . Royal not here yet have her booked from 16 November for a run .

Well ,you are a braver person than I. 
I hope I’m wrong.

4 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

But it’s been floating around for 2 years with skeleton crew. I’m booked on it but only for 4 nights and I’m sceptical.

If you go on board with a positive attitude you are more likely to enjoy the cruise.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Good one ,you booked 👏. I remember some one saying that there will be no cruises till after the Federal election .

6 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Every ship in the world was parked for at least a year with skeleton crew.

P&O isn't my #1 choice either, but I don't buy into the branding so much. There are more similarities on any cruise than there are differences in the brand.

7 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Every ship in the world was parked for at least a year with skeleton crew.

P&O isn't my #1 choice either, but I don't buy into the branding so much. There are more similarities on any cruise than there are differences in the brand.

If it wasn’t for all these lift and shifts ,none refundable deposits we would be in the U.S. in October for a few months.

If RC cancels this season theres going to be some angry people.