Booking Strategy

sparks1093

Now that DW and I will be flying to the cruise port it makes sense to fly to a place where there are more cruise choices instead of flying to a port in the Northeast (both in terms of itinerary and cruise line). In the past we've always booked our cruises a year or more in advance, but now I am thinking that we might want to re-think that strategy going forward. Basically what we would do is decide when we want to cruise and from which port (or group of ports, such as Florida) and then book the cruise inside of the 90 day window when many cruise lines will be trying to fill ships and be offering more attractive deals. We do realize that we would need to pay for the cruise in full at booking but that won't be a problem. What I am looking for are any pitfalls that we may face (we realize that on some itineraries that our preferred cabin type may not be available, for instance) because I know we won't think of everything and, if you've used this method of booking, how it worked for you. 

22 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

If you can accept any type of cabin  & not top suites  then go for it

Florida has multiple ports

NYC area

California

We're more than happy in a plain balcony cabin so that isn't too concerning. Cruising out of NYC may give us more choices for cruise line, but not for itinerary (at least, not on a 7 day cruise). California may be doable, I would have to research the air fare first.

I would book a cruise out of either Port If Miami, Port Everglades or Port Canaveral in Florida. Plenty of choices and if possible I would book during the winter months, especially after New Years when many ships winter in Florida.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Corby114 said:

I would book a cruise out of either Port If Miami, Port Everglades or Port Canaveral in Florida. Plenty of choices and if possible I would book during the winter months, especially after New Years when many ships winter in Florida.

That makes sense and actually works well with this method since we'd be looking to cruise sometime between February and April to escape the cold for a little bit (and this is another drawback of sailing out of the Northeast, the weather doesn't get nice for a couple of days heading down).

52 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

We're more than happy in a plain balcony cabin so that isn't too concerning. Cruising out of NYC may give us more choices for cruise line, but not for itinerary (at least, not on a 7 day cruise). California may be doable, I would have to research the air fare first.

If you are going to consider flying to California ports, you might as well include Seattle and Vancouver itineraries in your cruise search.  

I may not be following completely why you need focus only on ports with more cruise choices.    If you find a cruise that you like and that meets your budget, go for it.  What difference if out of Miami vs say Quebec City.  

In the pre-covid days we always kept an eye open for good air fare deals.  If good enough, we would build a trip around a good flight deal.

Edit: Aww, I think you last post (#5) came just as I pushed send.  I didn't think about the winter weather factor in your neck of the woods.  

Edited by ldubs
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ldubs said:

If you are going to consider flying to California ports, you might as well include Seattle and Vancouver itineraries in your cruise search.  

I may not be following completely why you need focus only on ports with more cruise choices.    If you find a cruise that you like and that meets your budget, go for it.  What difference if out of Miami vs say Quebec City.  

In the pre-covid days we always kept an eye open for good air fare deals.  If good enough, we would build a trip around a good flight deal.

Up until we purchase the airfare you are right, focusing on only one port (or several) is limiting. It is likely that once we've chosen where to cruise from that I would purchase the airfare when I found a decent price and I expect that to happen before we actually book the cruise. 

buy a place in Florida & you can drive to the port  plus get last minute notices for  residents  LOL

I would not bother flying across Country for a 7 day cruise  but that is just me

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

buy a place in Florida & you can drive to the port  plus get last minute notices for  residents  LOL

I would not bother flying across Country for a 7 day cruise  but that is just me

LOL, right? We live here for many different reasons and obviously cruising isn't one of them. I would consider it, but only for the right itinerary (two that come to mind would be Alaska and Hawaii, but of course out of California the Hawaii itineraries are 9 days or more).

2 hours ago, LHT28 said:

I know it is only a 5 - 6 hour flight but it does tend to burn a day at each end.  Me personally, I wouldn't let it  stop me taking a 7 day cruise.  But I would try hard to add some days before & after to kick around the area too.  

I like you idea of the vacation home.  But I want mine in Italy!  haha

Edited by ldubs
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

Now that DW and I will be flying to the cruise port it makes sense to fly to a place where there are more cruise choices instead of flying to a port in the Northeast (both in terms of itinerary and cruise line). In the past we've always booked our cruises a year or more in advance, but now I am thinking that we might want to re-think that strategy going forward. Basically what we would do is decide when we want to cruise and from which port (or group of ports, such as Florida) and then book the cruise inside of the 90 day window when many cruise lines will be trying to fill ships and be offering more attractive deals. We do realize that we would need to pay for the cruise in full at booking but that won't be a problem. What I am looking for are any pitfalls that we may face (we realize that on some itineraries that our preferred cabin type may not be available, for instance) because I know we won't think of everything and, if you've used this method of booking, how it worked for you. 

Will you be cruising Europe or Asia? You may need more lead time.

6 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

Pre covid to FLL/MIA no issue.   We have even had good cabins on an Christmastime cruise and on two March break timeframe cruises.  The latter when our condo time in Daytona Beach area was up.

Alaska pre covid...yes but more tricky to get a balcony.  The benefit to booking late, as in a week prior to blast off, is that you can get a much better indication of what weather you will encounter.

Our experience is that generally the closer you get to blast off the less choice you will have in cabin location.  For us anyway since we want a balcony.      Pre covid we have done at least six last minute Med/Europe cruises.  Always been able to score the winning combo of a great price and the right cabin.

Post covid...no idea whatsoever.  We are not shopping at the moment.

We would typically pre shop three ships that we like with similar itineraries.   Princess, Celebrity, and HAL perhaps.  Set a price, then hit the buy button when our price hits.   

Edited by iancal

My January, 2020 cruise on the Eurodam was a booking after the final payment date when I learned friends would be aboard and I would be in Florida after disembarking another cruise.  A veranda cabin in the category that I desired was available and the price was acceptable.  Worked well.

A few years before, I booked my desired veranda cabin.  As sailing date approached, I was offered an upgrade (for a reasonable cost) to a Signature Suite.  48 hours before sailing, my phone rang with the news from my travel agent that I was offered another reasonable cost upgrade to a Neptune Suite.  I took it.  As 5 Star Mariner, HAL had never offered me such opportunities.  One never knows what "may be in the cards" as far as booking a cruise.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

My January, 2020 cruise on the Eurodam was a booking after the final payment date when I learned friends would be aboard and I would be in Florida after disembarking another cruise.  A veranda cabin in the category that I desired was available and the price was acceptable.  Worked well.

A few years before, I booked my desired veranda cabin.  As sailing date approached, I was offered an upgrade (for a reasonable cost) to a Signature Suite.  48 hours before sailing, my phone rang with the news from my travel agent that I was offered another reasonable cost upgrade to a Neptune Suite.  I took it.  As 5 Star Mariner, HAL had never offered me such opportunities.  One never knows what "may be in the cards" as far as booking a cruise.  

That "A few years ago . . " experience wouldn't be hard to take!    No doubt that was a happy cruise!  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

That makes sense and actually works well with this method since we'd be looking to cruise sometime between February and April to escape the cold for a little bit (and this is another drawback of sailing out of the Northeast, the weather doesn't get nice for a couple of days heading down).

Just a couple thoughts come to mind: kids would most likely be in school, except for spring break for the ones in college, for the most part in March, which may or may not be a concern?. Would this time frame, be high season for cruising, and lodging? For air fares, could you book better fares, and get better seats, booking further out? Unless, of course,  you could be driving. I am not trying to be a "debbie downer"-I just like to look at making plans, from all angles! Happy cruising, whenever and where ever, you go!

27 minutes ago, urbanhawk said:

Just a couple thoughts come to mind: kids would most likely be in school, except for spring break for the ones in college, for the most part in March, which may or may not be a concern?. Would this time frame, be high season for cruising, and lodging? For air fares, could you book better fares, and get better seats, booking further out? Unless, of course,  you could be driving. I am not trying to be a "debbie downer"-I just like to look at making plans, from all angles! Happy cruising, whenever and where ever, you go!

The problem is: you will always have a loose end.   Whichever you book later can surprise you with a higher cost than anticipated  -- but the cruise always is (or sure should be) the big ticket - as well as the most important - item.  Book the cruise first - and then start checking how to get to the port - fly, drive, bus, train -- whatever works.

I sure as hell would not want to book a cruise which is likely to cost less than getting me there:   think about it.   And, always remember: the point of the exercise is to have a good time ---if saving money trumps everything else you should stay home ---- that is the obvious way to save money.

2 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

The problem is: you will always have a loose end.   Whichever you book later can surprise you with a higher cost than anticipated  -- but the cruise always is (or sure should be) the big ticket - as well as the most important - item.  Book the cruise first - and then start checking how to get to the port - fly, drive, bus, train -- whatever works.

I sure as hell would not want to book a cruise which is likely to cost less than getting me there:   think about it.   And, always remember: the point of the exercise is to have a good time ---if saving money trumps everything else you should stay home ---- that is the obvious way to save money.

You are right on. Thanks for pointing that out.

11 minutes ago, MalteseFred said:

Can be had much cheaper in Italy, especially the southern region.

I own homes in Reggio Calabria, Italia and another in Sliema, on the island of Malta.

Those look like beautiful places.  We looked, just for fun, at homes around Lake Como (not right on the water).   They were not as expensive as I had imagined.   

15 hours ago, cruizergal70 said:

Will you be cruising Europe or Asia? You may need more lead time.

We wouldn't rule it out but it's not really in the cards. Our trips to Europe, for now, will be to visit family. I would love to marry up one of those trips with a trans-Atlantic arrival or return but that may be a pipe dream.

14 hours ago, iancal said:

Pre covid to FLL/MIA no issue.   We have even had good cabins on an Christmastime cruise and on two March break timeframe cruises.  The latter when our condo time in Daytona Beach area was up.

Alaska pre covid...yes but more tricky to get a balcony.  The benefit to booking late, as in a week prior to blast off, is that you can get a much better indication of what weather you will encounter.

Our experience is that generally the closer you get to blast off the less choice you will have in cabin location.  For us anyway since we want a balcony.      Pre covid we have done at least six last minute Med/Europe cruises.  Always been able to score the winning combo of a great price and the right cabin.

Post covid...no idea whatsoever.  We are not shopping at the moment.

We would typically pre shop three ships that we like with similar itineraries.   Princess, Celebrity, and HAL perhaps.  Set a price, then hit the buy button when our price hits.   

Thank you for your thoughts. COVID is certainly a game changer and we realize that the prices that we are seeing now may not be fully indicative of what they may be down the road. I don't think that we are looking to wait until a week before departure to book, more like 90 to 60 days (ish). And that is an excellent point about cruises to Alaska, balconies have to be a premium on those and likely sell out faster.

14 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I had heard of the upsell fairy but the calls we received were never ones that enticed us. About three weeks before our last sailing I received the call to upsell to a Vista suite for $300 total. Since I had already applied for a price drop a few month earlier of $250 that upsell was only $50 more than what we had originally booked the cruise for. I am not the sharpest tool in the box but even I saw the value in that.🙂

• Like 2

12 hours ago, urbanhawk said:

I don't take this as being a Debbie downer at all, these are the types of things that need to be thought of. DW is a daycare provider so if we cruise during school vacation it is easier on her clients to obtain coverage. Up here in Vermont that is February and April and from our experience that is the same as a lot of other schools (our February sailing had almost 600 kids onboard). The sweet spot for air fare seems to be 120 to 90 days before a trip and using Google Flights helps with that. I quite often find very reasonable airfare out of Montreal (an hour and a half away) but because of COVID our last couple of flights were out of Burlington, VT or Boston. We used to drive to the cruise port but DW's back doesn't tolerate that the way it used to and anything more than 6 hours in the car is too much. We could still drive to a Northeast port by doing it over 2 days, but still face the limited options for itineraries. We do like the Bahamas but it wouldn't break our hearts if we never went there again.

11 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Saving money is great but if one is miserable is it worth it? I knew early on that air fare would be the big unknown but for 2 people it is still only a fraction of the cruise fare when flying from the Northeast to Florida (or even to California). And really there would be no difference in the air fare if we booked a year and a half before a cruise or 60 days before the cruise- the air fare is going to be what it is going to be. I am fortunate that I can price from a couple of major airports, including Montreal, so that helps to minimize the sting. 

16 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

Thank you for your thoughts. COVID is certainly a game changer and we realize that the prices that we are seeing now may not be fully indicative of what they may be down the road. I don't think that we are looking to wait until a week before departure to book, more like 90 to 60 days (ish). And that is an excellent point about cruises to Alaska, balconies have to be a premium on those and likely sell out faster.

Also for Alaska 1 way cruises you have to consider if you want a port or starboard side balcony as only one will face inland for the cruise. They are the ones that sell out much more quickly.

• Like 1

For years the only cruises we did were fairly last minute. Fours weeks out was a long planning horizon for us. At that time, we only cruised in the Fall until the Spring to get out of the cold. Our jobs, and the kids' sports schedules,  just wouldn't permit long term vacation planning. So when we finally got a week 'clear' we would find a cruise, book it and then plan our transportation southward. We usually cruised out of Florida, which kept the drive option open from Toronto, but we would also fly from T.O., Buffalo and once from Pittsburg. The Pittsburg flight was a "I hate this drive from Buffalo to Erie, lets see if we can get a flight from anywhere in the next few hours' situation. 

Have fun in your short term planning!

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Like 1