Repricing that didn't work

We have a cruise booked on Oasis this coming October. Noticed that our price had dropped by about $100 cd so I phoned to reprice. I have repriced other cruises on several occasions so I wasn't expecting any issues. The agent was polite and ran the numbers but he indicated that repricing would cost us more. The first reason was that $68 of the price drop was a result of a drop in the Taxes and fees cost from $468 to $400 cd. He said that even though that cost had gone down we had to pay the original cost that was in place at the time of booking. I wasn't aware  that these charges can change and I'm not sure why we would be locked into the original cost but apparently we are. The second change and this one I should have caught before I called is that our original booking came with a $50 US OBC and the new price does not include this discount so we would have lost this  bonus and would have ended up with a net increase to us of about $18 cd.

Just posting this to save people some  hold time. I should have considered the loss of OBC but the change in Taxes and fees was a new one for me.

4 minutes ago, Jcol5786 said:

He said that even though that cost had gone down we had to pay the original cost that was in place at the time of booking. I wasn't aware  that these charges can change and I'm not sure why we would be locked into the original cost but apparently we are.

This is normal - the only way to get that price drop is to cancel and rebook.

• Like 1

Yes that is true.  When you calculate a price drop, you need to use the taxes and fees amount of your booking.  We often book early and usually it only goes up so it's good it's locked in...but there are cases when it does go down.  I have a spreadsheet that I keep where I plug in the numbers - all from the mock booking check, but then taxes and fees is my original amount.  Then compare that number with your original booking (also taking into account any OBC you will lose - or gain if on current sale price)

My cruise spreadsheet has a column for taxes separate from base cruise fare so it's easier for me to validate price drops.  I also keep OBC in a nearby column so that is kept in mind when considering price drops.  Not all OBC is retained when repricing.  

So yeah, taxes and port fee changes have never been eligible for price adjustments.  The good news is you aren't charged more when they go up but base cruise has gone down, so it is fair and works both ways.

1 hour ago, Jcol5786 said:

We have a cruise booked on Oasis this coming October. Noticed that our price had dropped by about $100 cd so I phoned to reprice. I have repriced other cruises on several occasions so I wasn't expecting any issues. The agent was polite and ran the numbers but he indicated that repricing would cost us more. The first reason was that $68 of the price drop was a result of a drop in the Taxes and fees cost from $468 to $400 cd. He said that even though that cost had gone down we had to pay the original cost that was in place at the time of booking. I wasn't aware  that these charges can change and I'm not sure why we would be locked into the original cost but apparently we are. The second change and this one I should have caught before I called is that our original booking came with a $50 US OBC and the new price does not include this discount so we would have lost this  bonus and would have ended up with a net increase to us of about $18 cd.

Just posting this to save people some  hold time. I should have considered the loss of OBC but the change in Taxes and fees was a new one for me.

My biggest taxes and fees dropped from itererary changes. Two from jamaica and grand Cayman to costa maya and belize. But I have one coming up for sept not sure why it dropped.

Carnival refunds overcharged in taxes and fees. Rcl says it's up to each ship. 

I wrote mbayley and his office replied they have no policy fleetwide. It's up to each ship.

We also missed costa maya and no obc for missed ports. 

To me wierd policy on rcl part. 

7 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

My biggest taxes and fees dropped from itererary changes. Two from jamaica and grand Cayman to costa maya and belize. But I have one coming up for sept not sure why it dropped.

Carnival refunds overcharged in taxes and fees. Rcl says it's up to each ship. 

I wrote mbayley and his office replied they have no policy fleetwide. It's up to each ship.

We also missed costa maya and no obc for missed ports. 

To me wierd policy on rcl part. 

Been that way for Decades. At most got FCC for missed Port twice, Free Drinks for 2hrs couple other times. Had dozens of Missed or changed Ports over last 35yrs. Was once a Class Action Lawsuit against Royal for missed Ports not getting Taxes Refunded, think was talked about on CC also. Settlement I think was 7 Million max, paid out everyone got $7 ea for each missed Ports. Think I ended up with $35, paid in FCC that had to be used in one yr. Was Deployed US ARMY, even lost that $$ not able to Cruise during that time.

4 hours ago, Jcol5786 said:

We booked Vision of the Seas for Feb 6, 2023.  Our category, M1, has dropped in price $400.  We are losing the $50 obc but are gaining a $350 reduction in price. Keep an eye on pricing.