Crown Princess propulsion issues again

rrshinn

1 hour ago, Once Upon A Time said:

I know they missed Glacier Bay yesterday...not sure why.   

Heavy fog.

I believe they received 200 refundable onboard credit plus 30% FCC

added on edit....letter

296165797_10104147500338148_5708988730007727148_n.jpeg

Edited by station10fd
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, llarsen said:

Hi, we are on the Aug 6 sailing with you. 

I just read yesterday on these boards that others were notified on board that they will not be going into Skagway! Sitka was substituted! Skagway is the only port we have an excursion booked (with Chilkoot) due to the itinerary changes. I emailed Chilkoot and they said the rockslide at the pier in Skagway was in June, and most cruise ships have continued to visit Skagway, but Princess did cancel some visits this week. Soooo...are they going to be honest with us about this or inform us at the last minute? And I totally agree with you, they continued to sell the original itinerary knowing that they would be changing the itinerary. We will end up spending more time on the ship then we will in the ports. 

After the slide ships returned to Skagway, including Princess.  Then a couple of days ago (Jul 26) a new geologic study was released that raised concerns for the entire pier area.  As a result one pier was closed (the front one). This is the pier normally used by Princess, especially the Royal class ships.  As a result most Princess cruises have had to be shifted away from Skagway.  Some Grand class ships might still go, but it depends upon the port schedule and if any other berths are open.

So, apart from all these issues, which are regrettable and not entirely due to anything that Princess has control over, this has nothing to do with Crown Princess propulsion issues. I have been following this ships “limping” issues on www.CruiseMapper.com and Crown Princess has been maintaining speeds of between 18, 19, 20 knots in open water, which is on par to what all other major cruise vessels in this area are doing. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, redtop101 said:

So, apart from all these issues, which are regrettable and not entirely due to anything that Princess has control over, this has nothing to do with Crown Princess propulsion issues. I have been following this ships “limping” issues on www.CruiseMapper.com and Crown Princess has been maintaining speeds of between 18, 19, 20 knots in open water, which is on par to what all other major cruise vessels in this area are doing. 

"Never let a <engine problems, high gas prices, pier landslide, global pandemic, geopolitical war> crisis go to waste"

• Like 1

8 hours ago, llarsen said:

Hi, we are on the Aug 6 sailing with you. 

I just read yesterday on these boards that others were notified on board that they will not be going into Skagway! Sitka was substituted! Skagway is the only port we have an excursion booked (with Chilkoot) due to the itinerary changes. I emailed Chilkoot and they said the rockslide at the pier in Skagway was in June, and most cruise ships have continued to visit Skagway, but Princess did cancel some visits this week. Soooo...are they going to be honest with us about this or inform us at the last minute? And I totally agree with you, they continued to sell the original itinerary knowing that they would be changing the itinerary. We will end up spending more time on the ship then we will in the ports. 

The Crown docks at a different pier than the others that were cancelled there in Skagway I believe. We should be ok there. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrBreeze said:

The Crown docks at a different pier than the others that were cancelled there in Skagway I believe. We should be ok there. 

Some cruises yes - some cruises no, it all depends upon what other ships are scheduled in port on that particular day.

While Crown uses the Broadway Pier the one closure has probably resulted in some shifts and changing of assignments.  If I recall correctly CCL purchased the port and Railway a couple of years ago.

Edited by ldtr

24 minutes ago, ldtr said:

If I recall correctly CCL purchased the port and Railway a couple of years ago.

At first I thought this was posted in error.  I did some research and came up with:

https://khns.org/skagways-white-pass-and-yukon-route-railroad-set-to-be-sold-to-major-cruise-company#:~:text=White Pass is currently owned,and White Pass's retail operations.

I had no idea!!!

9 hours ago, Rick&amp;Jeannie said:

That’s good.  They really need improvements at that port. 

On 7/29/2022 at 4:24 AM, PacnGoNow said:

That’s good.  They really need improvements at that port. 

The sale took place in 2018.

1 hour ago, llarsen said:

When was this landslide? I know there was a landlslide in June in Skagway.

According to the video it was August 3rd.  Yes, the landslide in June was significant and they closed much of the dock because geologists and engineers determined the slope was not stable.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cruisingrob21 said:

According to the video it was August 3rd.  Yes, the landslide in June was significant and they closed much of the dock because geologists and engineers determined the slope was not stable.

We were there the 2nd week in July and there was evidence of two that we could see.

• Like 1