Are we allowed to carry ALL our own luggage onboard (Coral Princess)

10 minutes ago, Porky55 said:

We’ll be able to find the OP on our cruises - they’ll be carrying the extra pillows, suitcases  …………   😆😂😆

Don't laugh. I have seen people check in carrying their own pillows. Not me though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Everyone will be carrying their own pillows at check in, lol. You could hide a few bottles of booze in there, lol.

To be serious, danger with the pillows on board, they will not be sterlizing those between cruises, I bet.

Another place where germs lurk is the TV remote control, give that a good clean.

To be honest, a lot of these things were filthy or at risk  of being filthy well before Covid.

7 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

To be honest, a lot of these things were filthy or at risk  of being filthy well before Covid.

Things may have changed since the pandemic started. They should be switching out both pillows and doona inners at the end of each cruise and using freshly cleaned ones. Most of them are synthetic fill so easily washed. Even feather pillows can be washed but take a bit more effort to get dry.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Absolutely Mic.

I am a Glen20 user, cruise ship, hotels etc.

Cruise cabins/hotels are not cleaned thoroughly in their haste to turn them over. I have found things in drawers, under the bed, hair on pillows, toiletries left in bathrooms.

Been spraying, wiping and sanitizing well before Covid.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Things may have changed since the pandemic started. They should be switching out both pillows and doona inners at the end of each cruise and using freshly cleaned ones. Most of them are synthetic fill so easily washed. Even feather pillows can be washed but take a bit more effort to get dry.

I seem to remember hearing on board that the pillows and doonas are switched to clean ones when new passengers board.

25 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I seem to remember hearing on board that the pillows and doonas are switched to clean ones when new passengers board.

Duvet covers, pillow cases, sheets, towels - yes. They may change the pillows and doona and even the mattress if there has been  a known quarantined to room passenger. Alternatively, they can fog the room.

Lots of times we have left our carry-ons in our room while having our debark breakfast, and when we return the bed is stripped with pillows remaining. I figure they are now working with heightened sanitisation rules, so anything is possible, but there is something impractical about laundering 1000+ pillows and 500+ doonas every few days. 

19 hours ago, arxcards said:

I know others that take a can of Glen-20 with them when they cruise, and I have thought it over the top. I will be packing a can in our luggage on each cruise for the rest of the year, and some sanitiser wipes in my carry-on.

Rather than luggage, I am more concerned about the health of the previous user of the cabin. No worries for 31st May. When they flip the cabin between cruises, they certainly change all of the linen, but I am most concerned about the pillow someone may have been coughing on the previous night. 

Oh yes......... good to be first one I suppose

3 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

Re clean pillows - Am I correct in remembering that the pillows on Princess have removable covers? If so, it would be very easy to replace these between cruises.

Exactly what I thought too!!

And have no idea if someone coughing (into? a pillow ) can actually cause the next person to use said pillow,  to catch Covid??  Sounds like another of those “fake - you just might catch Covid from ” theories? 😆

1 minute ago, Porky55 said:

And have no idea if someone coughing (into? a pillow ) can actually cause the next person to use said pillow,  to catch Covid??  Sounds like another of those “fake - you just might catch Covid from ” theories? 😆

.. or my friend firmly convinced the colds/flu that circulate in ships would be caught from the ventilation vent in the cabin ceiling that resulted in her spraying with Glen-20 before they arrived in the cabin and before they went to bed every night.

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Porky55 said:

From what I've read the virus doesn't survive for long on soft fabrics. Also if someone had coughed on a pillow it would be on the surface, ie the pillowcase which is changed along with other bedlinen.

• Like 2

On 4/30/2022 at 11:05 AM, Porky55 said:

CDaze71 - You would also have another problem, hypothetically; if your cabin isn’t ready for hours after you board (can and has happened) you would be dragging ALL your luggage around for possibly hours. Being a nuisance to not only other passengers but to yourself.

All for the sake of a sanitising wipe when your luggage does arrive 🤔

On our last Princess cruise out of Brisbane we could put our carry on bags into  bagcare. I think it was in one of the dining rooms. We were given a slip to bring back to check our bags out when our rooms were ready. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

From what I've read the virus doesn't survive for long on soft fabrics. Also if someone had coughed on a pillow it would be on the surface, ie the pillowcase which is changed along with other bedlinen.

They have N95 pillowcases now?

Active virus has been found in pillows of infected travellers in hotel quarantine. The protocol in those hotels was to dispose of all bedding after an infected person stayed in the room, including pillows.

5 minutes ago, arxcards said:

They have N95 pillowcases now?

Active virus has been found in pillows of infected travellers in hotel quarantine. The protocol in those hotels was to dispose of all bedding after an infected person stayed in the room, including pillows.

I am pretty sure they would handle the laundry and cleaning from the isolation cabins differently from the rest of the ship.

The only problem with the 'normal' cabins could be if someone contracted COVID (say) two days before the end of the cruise, making them infectious but not yet aware they had the virus.

38 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I am pretty sure they would handle the laundry and cleaning from the isolation cabins differently from the rest of the ship.

The only problem with the 'normal' cabins could be if someone contracted COVID (say) two days before the end of the cruise, making them infectious but not yet aware they had the virus.

Indeed. We won't be taking our own pillows BTW, just taking reasonable precautions. The previous passengers won't be an issue for our first cruise, as I will just need to wipe the cobwebs off. As a comparison with someone handling your luggage, I would say using something someone has been breathing on is a higher risk.

I am sure they will take every possible measure to turn over a clean cabin between cruises, regardless of the health of the previous passengers. I will ask our steward how much harder they have to work to keep everything clean.

Yay, cruising resumes this month!

We will probably see more cleaning going on all the time than usual. I'm sure we  have all seen the extra workload for the crew when there is a major noro outbreak on board. They are constantly wiping the handrails and even the walls with disinfectant. Maybe now with this extra cleaning and the health precautions we are all used to taking, noro outbreaks won't happen often (or at all😁).

16 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

We will probably see more cleaning going on all the time than usual. I'm sure we  have all seen the extra workload for the crew when there is a major noro outbreak on board. They are constantly wiping the handrails and even the walls with disinfectant. Maybe now with this extra cleaning and the health precautions we are all used to taking, noro outbreaks won't happen often (or at all😁).

I wouldn't bet on it! Some people seem to have forgotten health precautions already, like the women who sneezed heavily into both hands yesterday before entering my butchers.  And no, she didn't wipe or sanitize her hands atvall. Plus she ignored the maximum number of customers sign and didn't wait until someone left before entering. 

23 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

Don't laugh. I have seen people check in carrying their own pillows. Not me though.

I remember walking past the confiscated electrical items table one debarkation day and noticing a crockpot. Seriously?! Who takes a crockpot on a cruise? Surely that’s worse than taking your own pillows. 

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, Sparky74 said:

I remember walking past the confiscated electrical items table one debarkation day and noticing a crockpot. Seriously?! Who takes a crockpot on a cruise? Surely that’s worse than taking your own pillows. 

A few years ago I read on the US section of this forum that some passengers with specific dietary needs took a crockpot. Maybe they didn't know they could order kosher meals. Another strange one was the query about taking a BBQ to use on their balcony. This morning I read a post by a woman who took her own butter.

Edited by Aus Traveller
  • Haha 1