Worried

BKO

13 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

You are right and wrong in equal measures, from my memories of being an afternoon tea addict on numerous cruises... 

Always been a stand with the basics, but they would (sometimes) come around with tea cakes, crumpets and hot sausage rolls... 

I don't ever remember not having the sandwiches and cakes on a tiered cake stand. 

Andy

That’s what I remember too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fionboard said:

Current cruise commenced 3 May.  Can assure you, masks still required in theatre!

All I can say is that whilst onboard Britannia a few days ago many crew said the rules changed from 29th April and it was not just for our Netherlands cruise. Maybe they went rogue and misunderstood the memo. Maybe Ventura did not get the memo. Maybe your cruise is including a specific country that insists on masks in theatres / certain spaces. Maybe rules changed yet again on 1st May.

I don't know but that is what we were all told. Would be interesting to see what current Britannia passengers are being told.

55 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

That’s what I remember too.

I thought it was served like that on our previous Aurora cruises but was not sure if it was a big/small ship difference - must be getting mixed up with the Cunard method. A table companion said she had done a couple of Britannia pre-covid cruises and insisted it was always served without cake stands. Again it may have been the mixture of cake stands and tray items that has confused mine (and her) memory though I am positive I unfortunately missed out on the hot sausage rolls offering. Sounds yummy though potentially messy for me.

Thanks both for the info.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

You are right and wrong in equal measures, from my memories of being an afternoon tea addict on numerous cruises... 

Always been a stand with the basics, but they would (sometimes) come around with tea cakes, crumpets and hot sausage rolls... 

I don't ever remember not having the sandwiches and cakes on a tiered cake stand. 

Andy

I can recall when waiters brought around sandwiches on platters and served them individually at the table. It doesn't seem that long ago but...🤔😂. I do also remember the tiered stands being introduced. I'm quite picky with sarnies because I don't like mustard, tomato, pickle or mayo (unless with tuna) 😕😁 so preferred it when they brought the platters around as they would tell you exactly what they were. 

7 minutes ago, Britboys said:

I can recall when waiters brought around sandwiches on platters and served them individually at the table. It doesn't seem that long ago but...🤔😂. I do also remember the tiered stands being introduced. I'm quite picky with sarnies because I don't like mustard, tomato, pickle or mayo (unless with tuna) 😕😁 so preferred it when they brought the platters around as they would tell you exactly what they were. 

You are obviously far older than me Andrew😂😂

Compared to many of you, we are relatively new but very frequent cruisers, but definitely don't remember not having the tiered stands. 

Andy

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, AndyMichelle said:

You are obviously far older than me Andrew😂😂

Compared to many of you, we are relatively new but very frequent cruisers, but definitely don't remember not having the tiered stands. 

Andy

I started cruising quite young actually sir (he says using an affronted tone of voice 😉🤣)....

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, BouncingWheel said:

I thought it was served like that on our previous Aurora cruises but was not sure if it was a big/small ship difference - must be getting mixed up with the Cunard method. A table companion said she had done a couple of Britannia pre-covid cruises and insisted it was always served without cake stands. Again it may have been the mixture of cake stands and tray items that has confused mine (and her) memory though I am positive I unfortunately missed out on the hot sausage rolls offering. Sounds yummy though potentially messy for me.

Thanks both for the info.

Ironically, we have photos of our Brittania afternoon teas from her maiden season and they definitely were on tiered stands, although any extras were served by the waiters. 

I will try to post the pics later. 

Andy

3 hours ago, BouncingWheel said:

All I can say is that whilst onboard Britannia a few days ago many crew said the rules changed from 29th April and it was not just for our Netherlands cruise. Maybe they went rogue and misunderstood the memo. Maybe Ventura did not get the memo. Maybe your cruise is including a specific country that insists on masks in theatres / certain spaces. Maybe rules changed yet again on 1st May.

I don't know but that is what we were all told. Would be interesting to see what current Britannia passengers are being told.

I think you are confusing on board protocols with pre cruise covid testing which did, indeed,  change on April 29. I am on Netherland cruise. Countries do not dictate what covid protocols ships have to observe.

20 hours ago, bbtablet said:

Ah! school dinners: pink custard anyone?

Devil's food 😈 Had an incident involving the stuff about 50 years ago.  Wouldn't touch custard of any colour for almost 30 years, and then only gave it a go when there was no choice.  Even today I will only rarely touch the stuff.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Fionboard said:

I think you are confusing on board protocols with pre cruise covid testing which did, indeed,  change on April 29. I am on Netherland cruise. Countries do not dictate what covid protocols ships have to observe.

Plus any previous mask protocol changes have come with an email announcement, not just telling crew on board. Nobody I know has received anything as they're still suggesting masks are required in theatres on all my other social media groups. 

The only changes we've been made aware of from the 29th are the testing requirements, and possibly the return of non UK travellers. 

1 hour ago, Amyracecar said:

Plus any previous mask protocol changes have come with an email announcement, not just telling crew on board. Nobody I know has received anything as they're still suggesting masks are required in theatres on all my other social media groups. 

The only changes we've been made aware of from the 29th are the testing requirements, and possibly the return of non UK travellers. 

Again all I can say is that I was onboard Britannia on the 29th April  4 nighter to Rotterdam. All the lift restrictions had gone and all the seats in theatres were in use. There were entertainment people and in one case a uniformed  (officer?) stationed at all the entrances to the theatre saying masks were now optional (as they checked people in as you had to still pre-book). When questioned they said this was the new policy from 29th April. This was also confirmed by a reception staff member when I asked about how afternoon tea worked. 

Anyone else that sailed on that cruise will be able to say the same.

Whether it is was misinterpretation and changed now I don't know but hope to hear back from someone on Britannia now as that would provide more insight.

12 hours ago, BouncingWheel said:

And you are surprised if the P&O website is not totally up to date!

Actually not sure about Medical Centre but the other 2 are definitely now only recommended.

No, I'm not surprised in the least. I'm just trying to find out what is actually happening onboard P&O ships now, in real life, from people who are currently onboard or who have recent experience of P&O protocols. I'm over 400 miles from Southampton, and have just gone into my 4th year with no cruising, so any info I can glean is much appreciated. It just seems odd that in all the emails and paperwork I get from P&O, and all the glances I give their website, there's no mention of them dropping mask-wearing.

6 hours ago, Valfan said:

No, I'm not surprised in the least. I'm just trying to find out what is actually happening onboard P&O ships now, in real life, from people who are currently onboard or who have recent experience of P&O protocols. I'm over 400 miles from Southampton, and have just gone into my 4th year with no cruising, so any info I can glean is much appreciated. It just seems odd that in all the emails and paperwork I get from P&O, and all the glances I give their website, there's no mention of them dropping mask-wearing.

But does it really matter ? 

The cruises we have been on required masks to be worn virtually everywhere,  and it did not detract from our enjoyment. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, wowzz said:

But does it really matter ? 

The cruises we have been on required masks to be worn virtually everywhere,  and it did not detract from our enjoyment. 

It matters a lot Wowzz. There are some who will be fearful of cruising unless everyone is forced to wear them (however illogical it is when only in certain settings) and then others (including ourselves) who would not wish to cruise until all these rules, restrictions and requirements (that are now unique to cruising) are dropped. Without the facts only those who aren’t bothered either way can book with certainty!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Fionboard said:

Obviously rules on Britannia are different from those here on Ventura!. Strange!!

It may be driven by the amount of COVID on the ship. If there’s more known cases of infection, they may bring back mask wearing and other mitigations. 

• Like 2

Just had an email from P&O about our upcoming cruise, which confirms the mask policy for Iona. We sail in 2 weeks. Would be interesting to see what people on Britannia are currently getting. 

Face – Whilst we highly recommend that guests wear masks on board, they are only required in the theatre, cinema, or if you visit the medical centre. Your mask must cover your nose and mouth and be of a good quality (ideally medical grade). Re-usable masks should be washed regularly, and visors and face shields aren’t accepted as a substitute for a face mask.

Off the ship, masks are required during embarkation, disembarkation and when using tender boats. Some destinations may also require you to wear masks when ashore and we recommend taking one with you whenever you disembark the ship.

I have no idea what is going on now. I was only trying to happily report things had moved back further toward pre-covid and I was not intending to peddle fake news. 

Sorry for causing so much confusion to you all.

It appears that the new rules may only be for Britannia or even just that 1 Britannia Cruise!

Hoping @molecrochip can shed some light on this.

2 hours ago, Fionboard said:

Obviously rules on Britannia are different from those here on Ventura!. Strange!!

@FionboardCan I ask, have the lift restrictions gone? Have the theatre "do not use" seats signs gone  as well on your cruise?

Also can you confirm it is OK to be maskless in the lift but not in the theatre, cinema & medical centre? 

30 minutes ago, BouncingWheel said:

@FionboardCan I ask, have the lift restrictions gone? Have the theatre "do not use" seats signs gone  as well on your cruise?

Also can you confirm it is OK to be maskless in the lift but not in the theatre, cinema & medical centre? 

No lift restrictions. Cabin number taken at theatre entrance but sit where you like. Illogical or what?! Masks only in theatre and med centre. No masks required when watching a film in Tamarind bar. As I said - illogical!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Amyracecar said:

Just had an email from P&O about our upcoming cruise, which confirms the mask policy for Iona. We sail in 2 weeks. Would be interesting to see what people on Britannia are currently getting. 

Had a similar email about an imminent Britannia cruise with EXACTLY the same content concerning masks. 'they are only required in the theatre, cinema, or if you visit the medical centre etc'.

• Like 1