Currently on board Avalon Visionary, Basel to Amsterdam

coyboy1971

18 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

This are the type of thing that can be very frustrating to nail down in advance of a river cruise, but are quite easy once on board.  The cruise director on the ship will give a preview of all the excursions, and questions like these will either be covered in the talk or you will have an opportunity at the end to ask your specific questions.  If your #1 priority is meeting your friend, the CD should advise you which excursion is best or whether you should bag it and get a taxi.

Thank you!!  It helps immensely to have first-hand advice like this.  I realize things can change on a dime once we set sail but it would be nice to at least shoot for something assuming things run according to schedule.  

18 minutes ago, JustBe56 said:

Thank you!!  It helps immensely to have first-hand advice like this.  I realize things can change on a dime once we set sail but it would be nice to at least shoot for something assuming things run according to schedule.  

Here's a recent example:  we were on a Tulip Time cruise last month (on AmaWaterways).  One of the port stops was Ghent, and the relevant tour options were:  full day in Ghent, full day in Bruges, combo with Ghent and Bruges.  We wanted to see the highlights of both cities if possible [and pre-registered for that one] – but our no. 1 priority was to see the Ghent Altarpiece and it wasn't possible from the pre-cruise info to tell whether this was included in either Ghent option.  Once on board, the CD's explanation showed that only the full-day Ghent would include the Altarpiece, so we switched our choice to that one.

Then the CD called and said that since only 4 people had signed up for that tour, it didn't qualify for group tickets to the Altarpiece and there were no individual tickets available to fit the tour's morning schedule.  Problem!  Then she offered to buy us regular tickets for the earliest possible time slot, which required us to stay in town for lunch. Problem solved!  We ended up having a nice guided tour of Ghent, a relaxing lunch on our own, and a leisurely visit to this wonderful work of art!  [Our cost: lunch and a taxi back to the ship, less than the tickets to the Altarpiece.]  With a little flexibility, you can find a way.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Canal archive said:

Jazz it would seem tha a CD can make or break a cruise your right a little flexibility can work wonders.

That’s the take home I’m getting from all these posts too.  Hopefully I get a good CD!  😊

11 hours ago, JustBe56 said:

We have also just finished the north bound Rhine cruise on the expression. Our Cruise Director changed the Heidelberg trip so everyone left the ship at a quick stop at Ludwigshafen, everyone went to the castle and then the walking group did the Philosophers Way and the 'Heidelberg' group had a look around town then time on their own. They met up and returned on the coach. This seemed far more sensible and meant people got to do both. We now wish we had done it but got plenty of exercise on the other active trips and also taking the bikes out ourselves most days 😁

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Techno123 said:

We have also just finished the north bound Rhine cruise on the expression. Our Cruise Director changed the Heidelberg trip so everyone left the ship at a quick stop at Ludwigshafen, everyone went to the castle and then the walking group did the Philosophers Way and the 'Heidelberg' group had a look around town then time on their own. They met up and returned on the coach. This seemed far more sensible and meant people got to do both. We now wish we had done it but got plenty of exercise on the other active trips and also taking the bikes out ourselves most days 😁

This continues to be such a helpful forum.  I told my cousin at this point we won’t be able to plan anything until I’m on  board and find out what my cruise will choose to do.  Is it even worth pre booking excursions like the emails encourage?  Seems like they just do whatever works at the time and whoever wants to go goes.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JustBe56 said:

I’m new to river cruising, and this app so I apologize if this gets buried, but I’m so grateful to you for this thread!!  I wasted hours today calling Avalon trying to find out more about how the timing will work on the Heidelberg day when I go in August because I really wanted to meet a friend in Germany and both the philosophers hike and the castle visit said that they had free time afterwards so my question was which had more time and you have answered that!!  No one at Avalon would tell me or my travel agent. 😡 You’ve even expanded on how it works riding over there together and that if we do the philosophers hike will have even more free time which in my case is a plus.  Thank you to everyone else asking specific questions too.  So helpful for newbies like us. 

Another possibility is to ride the bus into town with the group and then just spend time with your friend. Don’t participate with either tour, just have friend time and tour on your own.

We frequently break away from the group and go off on our own. Just be certain the the tour director and/or guide on the scene know your plan and verify where and when to meet the bus back; then, be early for the return.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CPT Trips said:

Another possibility is to ride the bus into town with the group and then just spend time with your friend. Don’t participate with either tour, just have friend time and tour on your own.

We frequently break away from the group and go off on our own. Just be certain the the tour director and/or guide on the scene know your plan and verify where and when to meet the bus back; then, be early for the return.

I wondered if that was an option.  Thank you for this. That may indeed be our best option for the day. 

We are going next week on this. Thank you for all the detailed information this has been very helpful I do have one question about dinner dress.  Are nice blue jeans ok  I have seen conflicting reports .

4 hours ago, davidrray said:

We are going next week on this. Thank you for all the detailed information this has been very helpful I do have one question about dinner dress.  Are nice blue jeans ok  I have seen conflicting reports .

There were people in shorts, all genders, and one man who wore a baseball cap (but he was the only one) a few pairs of blue jeans but mainly trousers and a shirt or polo shirt. Other half took pants but wore his black jeans most nights with a short sleeved shirt or polo shirt. I wore white jeans once but like to dress up so wore a casual dress or pants and a dressy top. The focus is on tidy and comfortable rather than overly smart I would say.

• 1 month later...
On 5/28/2022 at 10:17 AM, Techno123 said:

Do you mind if I ask another question? I am interested to know how Avalon handles when you arrive at your final airport destination at the start of the trip.  My parents have always traveled with Viking and they say the concierge service begins from the moment you step off the plane. I’m hoping that Avalon is equivalent since I will have no clue where to go and will be praying English is spoken (I’m sure it is) since I am a classic spoiled American 😇    

Did you book your flights through Avalon? If you did, they should include transfers to the hotel. We didn't use the Avalon transfers last time, but I have heard that someone will be waiting for you when you leave the area where you collect your luggage.

Not sure which direction you are going on on the Rhine, but don't worry, every is fairly fluent with English. We actually had a good laugh in Amsterdam, as the first "billboard" we saw when we got off the tram to go downtown was for The Bay, what used to be one of the largest department stores in Canada. 🙂

Edited by Daisi
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JustBe56 said:

Do you mind if I ask another question? I am interested to know how Avalon handles when you arrive at your final airport destination at the start of the trip.  My parents have always traveled with Viking and they say the concierge service begins from the moment you step off the plane. I’m hoping that Avalon is equivalent since I will have no clue where to go and will be praying English is spoken (I’m sure it is) since I am a classic spoiled American 😇    

Because we were flying independently into Basel and out of Schiphol, we arranged our own transfers. I believe passengers are met at the airport by a rep and taken by Avalon transport to the ship.

Edited by Techno123
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Daisi said:

Did you book your flights through Avalon? If you did, they should include transfers to the hotel. We didn't use the Avalon transfers last time, but I have heard that someone will be waiting for you when you leave the area where you collect your luggage.

Not sure which direction you are going on on the Rhine, but don't worry, every is fairly fluent with English. We actually had a good laugh in Amsterdam, as the first "billboard" we saw when we got off the tram to go downtown was for The Bay, what used to be one of the largest department stores in Canada. 🙂

We did book flights thru avalon for convenience (which has had pros and cons) so that’s all good to know.  Thank you!  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Techno123 said:

Because we were flying independently into Basel and out of Schiphol, we arranged our own transfers. I believe passengers are met at the airport by a rep and taken by Avalon transport to the ship.

We did book flights thru avalon for convenience so sounds like from you and Deisi  we are good.   Appreciate you saving me an hour on hold calling Avalon again.  🙂

• 1 year later...
On 5/6/2022 at 1:37 AM, coyboy1971 said:

As far as meals, dinner service has been at 7 pm and ends promptly at 9 pm. You should be fine sitting down at 8 pm. 

We ate last night at the self-serve "bistro" dinner in the panorama lounge and wish we'd done that most nights. It's small, nicely presented portions of the food in the dining room and you can take as much or as little as you like. There's only one soup option and sometime one less entree choice but otherwise the food is the same and you don't have any of the service mishaps I mentioned earlier as the new crew get familiar with their roles and the dining room. 

The 'bistro' dinner upstairs is one of the big things that always brings me back to Avalon!