Insurance (per trip or annual policy)

irishclover59

I have three cruises booked so far for 2022 and one trip to Europe.  Do you typically purchase insurance per trip or do you prefer an annual policy?  Any pros / cons you could share about either?  Which agency do you typically use?  Thanks!

32 minutes ago, irishclover59 said:

I have three cruises booked so far for 2022 and one trip to Europe.  Do you typically purchase insurance per trip or do you prefer an annual policy?  Any pros / cons you could share about either?  Which agency do you typically use?  Thanks!

Everyone's insurance situation is different.  Do the math for your trip and insurance costs and see if you come out ahead.  We use Allianz.

DON

Annual policies provide primarily medical coverage. Those that offer cancellation are capped at relatively low dollar limits for the entire year.

Many people like to pair annual plans with credit card coverage. Know that credit cards do not cover cancellation for pre-existing conditions. The premium cards may have a 60-day look back period, but that means you must have a 60-day period of stable medical history prior to booking. Be sure you understand pre-existing conditions and if the provision applies to you.

The other thing to know about credit card coverage especially as it relates to covid is that the trip interruption provision pays for prepaid nonrefundable expenses such as unused days of your trip, but it will pay only change fees in regard to your transportation home.

The trip delay provision which pays for hotel and meals is only $500 and covers only common carrier delays.

People who rely on travel benefits from credit cards may find they don’t have the coverage they need if their trip is interrupted or return is delayed by a positive covid test.

For a number of years, I have purchased an annual policy with LIfe Guard, simply covering emergency medical primarily,  "business travelers insurance".  Cost $518 for two of us.  Considered that adequate.

Now with Covid and since now traveling with a family member who has cancer, I have decided I need to carry cancel for any reason and cover both medical and trip costs.  In this case, if my family member had a health emergency prior to a trip, I might end up needing to cancel to be here.  

Sharing this because what one carries depends on what their situation is and what they may need to cover.  

We have an annual policy with GeoBlue and evacuation coverage with MedJet for medical emergencies. We also get some coverage from our credit card for delays, lost luggage etc. Much cheaper than insuring by the trip for us

I have Medjet annually for medical evacuation. It's one thing to lose what you paid for a cruise-- whether it's $1000 or $20,000+.   But if you are severely injured or have a health emergency, it can cost literally 100K+ to fly from Europe, etc back to the US.  Medjet costs about $400 per year for two of us. 

We usually get per trip coverage for our regular medical which is secondary to what we have. 

1 hour ago, Torfamm said:

We have an annual policy with GeoBlue and evacuation coverage with MedJet for medical emergencies. We also get some coverage from our credit card for delays, lost luggage etc. Much cheaper than insuring by the trip for us

Hmm? Wondering the purpose of medjet when the geo blue policy also covers evacuation?

I wouldn't have medjet alone since it only covers evacuation but not medical care in the country in which you are traveling

I agree that covid coverage requires some new thinking about policies

We haven't traveled far during this pandemic so haven't thought about it yet

3 hours ago, riffatsea said:

Hmm? Wondering the purpose of medjet when the geo blue policy also covers evacuation?

I wouldn't have medjet alone since it only covers evacuation but not medical care in the country in which you are traveling

I agree that covid coverage requires some new thinking about policies

We haven't traveled far during this pandemic so haven't thought about it yet

The GeoBlue provides for care only in a local hospital or what they deem to be the nearest hospital that can provide adequate care. MedJet will transport you to the hospital of your choice. In a really serious situation, or one requiring a longer stay, I would have the ability to get home.

https://www.geobluetravelinsurance.com/pdf_docs/certs/samples/SAMPLE_TrekkerChoice_0004.pdf

Edited by Torfamm
Add link

Geoblue will send you home or closer to home after getting care locally if they don't think you can manage on your own

Medjet doesn't pay for care at all but only evacuation

I'd rather get care immediately wherever I am located rather than waiting to be flown home to get care

I suppose having both coverages makes sense

I wouldn't have med jet alone

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, riffatsea said:

Geoblue will send you home or closer to home after getting care locally if they don't think you can manage on your own

Medjet doesn't pay for care at all but only evacuation

I'd rather get care immediately wherever I am located rather than waiting to be flown home to get care

I suppose having both coverages makes sense

I wouldn't have med jet alone

MedJet is still hospital to hospital transfer. You have to be admitted locally first. MedJet just gives you more control over the decision to move to another hospital.

Yes, GeoBlue will provide appropriate care as necessary.

Edited by Babr

Remember that we all have different situations so what is best for other people might be wrong for you.

For example,  Medicare doesn’t cover you outside of the USA.  Some Medicare supplement policies cover you outside the USA for a lifetime maximum of $50,000 in expenses.  That’s not much coverage.

Also if you have preexisting conditions, make sure you get a policy that waives the preexisting exclusion AND be sure you follow all the plan’s requirements to maintain the preexisting exclusion.

3 minutes ago, D4 said:

example,  Medicare doesn’t cover you outside of the USA.  Some Medicare supplement policies cover you outside the USA for a lifetime maximum of $50,000 in expenses

in the process now of seeing what our medicare supplement will cover.  $1,200 of medical expenses on the REGAL in their medical center.  If not, will fall back on the Princess Insurance thru AON.  The $1,200 was charged to our on board folio, which we had to pay at the end of the cruise.

• Like 1

Another factor is your age. We used to use insurance companies other than Princess Insurance, better coverage and less expensive. Now that we are in our 80's Princess is much less expensive. How does age affect GeoBlue?

1 hour ago, Tedferg said:

Another factor is your age. We used to use insurance companies other than Princess Insurance, better coverage and less expensive. Now that we are in our 80's Princess is much less expensive. How does age affect GeoBlue?

We are also doing this now. GeoBlue is age dependent so I think we are now priced out of that.

1 hour ago, Alaskanb said:

We are also doing this now. GeoBlue is age dependent so I think we are now priced out of that.

I had a look at GeoBlue today for our next trip. It was much more reasonable than I expected --we are 72 and 80. I put in dates 1 day ahead of our trip and 2 days after the return --just in case! So from Oct 17 to November 4 with a $100,000 medical coverage and $250 deductible it came to $565 total for the two of us. 

19 minutes ago, Happy2cruise said:

Anyone use an insurance plan that can be purchased right before final payment?

There are several companies that will cover pre-existing conditions if you buy within a defined period of final payment. If that is not a concern, you have a wide range of policies to choose from.

19 hours ago, Alaskanb said:

I had a look at GeoBlue today for our next trip. It was much more reasonable than I expected --we are 72 and 80. I put in dates 1 day ahead of our trip and 2 days after the return --just in case! So from Oct 17 to November 4 with a $100,000 medical coverage and $250 deductible it came to $565 total for the two of us. 

You know this is primarily for medical coverage, correct? You will not have any protection against cancellation and a minimal amount for trip interruption. That leaves you at risk if you encounter covid-related delays such as a positive covid test or quarantine.

3 hours ago, Babr said:

You know this is primarily for medical coverage, correct? You will not have any protection against cancellation and a minimal amount for trip interruption. That leaves you at risk if you encounter covid-related delays such as a positive covid test or quarantine.

Yes. We also have the Princess platinum insurance. GeoBlue also covers pre-existing conditions and can be purchased up to one day prior to trip beginning. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, riffatsea said:

Geo Blue is very reasonably priced imo!

T h e yearly plan is more cost effective than the per trip plan

We are 81 and 73

We have used that before but only have one trip this year.