Rotterdam Covid Situation

flowery

Please update all of us on the current Covid situation and for upcoming Rotterdam cruises all departing from Amsterdam:

May 8, 22, 29 June 5, 12, 19, 26 July 10, 17, 24.

I'm trying to decide if we should go ahead and make final payment in a few weeks although we'll get the Platinum Protection insurance and can cancel at the last minute if necessary.

1) please describe testing situation/requirements at the port for embarkation

2) what are your infected numbers for guests and crew. Is the captain making daily announcements?

3) where are the quarantine cabins located?

4) were you required to move cabins?

5) if your partner tested negative did they remain in the original cabin, did they have to quarantine and how often were they tested?

6) are close contacts subjected to testing also?

7) anyone test positive on disembarking and get stuck in Amsterdam- couldn't fly back to US?

As to questions 3-6, those have been discussed here extensively, just takes some looking around. The quarantine cabins are on Decks 4 and 5, portside, going forward from the aft elevators forward. Yes, you are required to move cabins. No, negative tested travel mates are not REQUIRED to quarantine, but are given the option. Yes, there is contract tracing and testing.

Question 1 is defined in the policy...antigen testing at the pier.

Good luck getting the positive counts...I don't think we have heard officially ANY actual numbers, other than a "couple" or a "few" cases. Beware of people spreading rumors that a ship is going to be totally shut down for two weeks due to "all the cases". That is totally false.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks CruiserBruce!

Are the quarantine cabin locations specific to the Rotterdam or on all HAL ships?

Are negative roommates required to test daily and for how many days?

Do you know how HAL is determining who is a close contact? How many consecutive days are they tested?

As far as I know no testing at the terminal in Amsterdam anymore. So you have to arrange it yourself before embarking. It can be done within 72 hours prior. 

Never heard about the captain making statements about how many Covid  patients either by passengers or crew. 

Edited by Ine

Your given dates are confusing.  What is happening today does not indicate anything about the future.  Now that I am finally sailing I firmly believe anyone who is not willing to sail under the most stringent restrictions should not sail.  The rules change according to unpredictable circumstances. I agree about testing, expect to carry your test supplies with you and conduct the tests online. As European countries drop their testing requirements it may become difficult to find an affordable testing location.  

• Like 6

Thanks Ine. Testing 72 hours before embarking will be OK for us.

However, I think it should be offered to disembarking passengers who are flying out the same day. 

Apparently there are no plans for the US to drop this requirement.

Also, if the preceding day before disembarking is an "At Sea" day it becomes super inconvenient. 

The cruise lines should charge if $ is their concern or is it because they don't want the number of positives to be revealed? Easier to conceal who contracted Covid while onboard if testing occurs afterward.

6 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Your given dates are confusing.  What is happening today does not indicate anything about the future.  Now that I am finally sailing I firmly believe anyone who is not willing to sail under the most stringent restrictions should not sail.  The rules change according to unpredictable circumstances. I agree about testing, expect to carry your test supplies with you and conduct the tests online. As European countries drop their testing requirements it may become difficult to find an affordable testing location.  

Mary, I don't agree with you. It is very relevant to us and I expect to see an evolution of case numbers and protocols. 

I can't look at the CDC ratings since the Rotterdam isn't sailing in US waters.

Who said we can't follow "stringent restrictions"? But I would like to know more about the "stringent conditions" currently and as they evolve.

On one Celebrity ship it's up to the captain's discretion where passengers quarantine- suite and balcony passengers are going to Deck 3 Ocean Views. Except when the quarantine cabins fill up and then positives are allowed to quarantine in their original rooms. HAL appears to be going the way of Celebrity with testing no longer provided. 

The Rotterdam sailings might be quite full this summer and I'm hoping to get first hand accounts of Covid conditions.

• Like 1

Holland Amrica confirmed to me just yesterday they will in fact be testing passengers at the pier for no cost who have traveled from outside of the Netherlands and will test us on board the ship our last day if we are returning to the US the day we disembark the ship.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

27 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Holland Amrica confirmed to me just yesterday they will in fact be testing passengers at the pier for no cost who have traveled from outside of the Netherlands and will test us on board the ship our last day if we are returning to the US the day we disembark the ship.

Are you sure???

As per HA website for Europe - 

Bring negative, medically observed COVID-19 test result taken within 3-days of embarkation. For guests embarking in Greece, bring your test result taken within 1-day of embarkation (for guests unable to obtain this for Greece, we will provide a complimentary antigen test before embarkation).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, flowery said:

Thanks CruiserBruce!

Are the quarantine cabin locations specific to the Rotterdam or on all HAL ships?

Are negative roommates required to test daily and for how many days?

Do you know how HAL is determining who is a close contact? How many consecutive days are they tested?

That is where they are on Koningsdam, and have been reported on the other ships as well.

5 hours ago, flowery said:

Please update all of us on the current Covid situation and for upcoming Rotterdam cruises all departing from Amsterdam:

May 8, 22, 29 June 5, 12, 19, 26 July 10, 17, 24.

I'm trying to decide if we should go ahead and make final payment in a few weeks although we'll get the Platinum Protection insurance and can cancel at the last minute if necessary.

1) please describe testing situation/requirements at the port for embarkation

2) what are your infected numbers for guests and crew. Is the captain making daily announcements?

3) where are the quarantine cabins located?

4) were you required to move cabins?

5) if your partner tested negative did they remain in the original cabin, did they have to quarantine and how often were they tested?

6) are close contacts subjected to testing also?

7) anyone test positive on disembarking and get stuck in Amsterdam- couldn't fly back to US?

To my knowledge no HAL ship is releasing positive case numbers. The quarantine cabins were located where others have mentioned when we were on the Rotterdam in November. Unless someone testing positive upon disembarkation is on this forum I highly doubt we would find out that info either.

Edited by Laminator

Laminator- that's a shame that they're concealing numbers. Current and future passengers need this information.

I hope there will be some first hand reports of the number of tables outside the quarantine cabins (isn't that a sign?) and some anecdotal reports too of personal experiences.

I know HAL has a reputation as a cruise line for older passengers - we fit that demographic but are still working and have jobs to get back to.

I've been reading about the "Documentation of Recovery" but it's only issued after Day 10 in the case of someone who continues to test positive and is trying to fly back to the US.

26 minutes ago, flowery said:

that's a shame that they're concealing numbers. Current and future passengers need this information.

No they don't need that information. 

Just as easy to pick up the virus on the flight over, on a transit system, in a pre cruise hotel or restaurant etc.  Do you expect these places to issue numbers too.

The 'numbers' in May will have no relevance to the numbers in July and vice versa.

You are obviously not comfortable with the situation, so don't travel.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 3

39 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

No they don't need that information. 

Just as easy to pick up the virus on the flight over, on a transit system, in a pre cruise hotel or restaurant etc.  Do you expect these places to issue numbers too.

The 'numbers' in May will have no relevance to the numbers in July and vice versa.

You are obviously not comfortable with the situation, so don't travel.

Good advice.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, flowery said:

Laminator- that's a shame that they're concealing numbers. Current and future passengers need this information.

I hope there will be some first hand reports of the number of tables outside the quarantine cabins (isn't that a sign?) and some anecdotal reports too of personal experiences.

I know HAL has a reputation as a cruise line for older passengers - we fit that demographic but are still working and have jobs to get back to.

I've been reading about the "Documentation of Recovery" but it's only issued after Day 10 in the case of someone who continues to test positive and is trying to fly back to the US.

The area where the quarantine cabins are located are closed off to other pax. The fire doors are shut. Plus any new staff joining the ship needs to quarantine. If you were able to see 30 tables it is possible that 28 of those could be from new staff joining the ship.

I will be on the Rotterdam June 5th. If I find out anything I will let you know but from our last Rotterdam cruise last November the staff is very tight lipped about the number of cases onboard.

• Like 1

When we boarded Sunday people who had their test results were directed into one line and people without into another.   I saw people waiting on chairs in the "without" side, so I assume they were awaiting test results.  We are on deck 4; part of the rooms are blocked off with a door and a DO NOT ENTER sign. 

Don't know about cases but our friends were talking with a guy who freely announced that his wife had been quarantined.  He wasn't even wearing a mask.   They made their excuses and left his presence quickly. 

4 hours ago, Slush said:

Are you sure???

As per HA website for Europe - 

Bring negative, medically observed COVID-19 test result taken within 3-days of embarkation. For guests embarking in Greece, bring your test result taken within 1-day of embarkation (for guests unable to obtain this for Greece, we will provide a complimentary antigen test before embarkation).

I know I question this which was why I asked  we fly in 3 days before and would not be able to get within the time lines of the 3 days. Fortunately the rep I was talking to was not one of the new ones and was a seasoned employee. She stated no that those that had traveled to Amsterdam in the three days prior would be eligable for the omplimentary testing at the pier.

• Like 3

Linda- thanks so much for the "real time" info. If you hear anymore tidbits I'm all ears!

Laminator- that would be great to get a report on your June 5 sailing.

Most of the Rotterdam's segments are shorter 7 day which might help their Covid numbers.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the 14 day May 8 sailing. Also, how many people on back to backs test positive and are denied re-boarding. I'm assuming everyone has to retest?

I wonder why HAL is scared to release their numbers.

We are currently on the Rotterdam on the second leg of a B2B. Embarkation in Fort Lauderdale was a mess because there was a last minute request from the EU that everyone be tested immediately prior to embarkation even with already being tested per HAL requirements. Upon arrival in Amsterdam last Sunday we were allowed to leave the ship and did NOT require another test upon returning. We have an appointment Saturday for a Covid test on the ship at HAL’s expense before our flight to the U.S. Sunday. I have not heard anything about the number of cases; we had approx 1,600 on the transatlantic and now have approx 2,200 on board.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, flowery said:

Linda- thanks so much for the "real time" info. If you hear anymore tidbits I'm all ears!

Laminator- that would be great to get a report on your June 5 sailing.

Most of the Rotterdam's segments are shorter 7 day which might help their Covid numbers.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the 14 day May 8 sailing. Also, how many people on back to backs test positive and are denied re-boarding. I'm assuming everyone has to retest?

I wonder why HAL is scared to release their numbers.

No cruise corporation are releasing their numbers. And honestly their numbers would be skewed anyway. How many pax are asymptomatic that have no clue they have covid and are spreading it and how many people are sick and don't report it? You appear to be quite concerned with the questions you are asking. Considering that the majority of the pax on the ship appear to be from the Netherlands I would be checking the covid numbers from their country. That may give you a better way to judge.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, flowery said:

The reports have been since April 1...nothing official...is people on B2Bs are no longer required to test.

Fabric- thanks for taking the time to post while on your cruise. That's interesting Carnival/HAL is not requiring testing on B2Bs. A couple on a Celebrity ship got caught up in B2B testing but were lucky to disembark in the UK and get an airbnb- only spending two days in quarantine on the ship.

Mary- thanks also for your "live" report. I don't know whether to be alarmed or relieved that the spouse of someone in quarantine was running around the ship unmasked.

Laminator- I agree that so many are asymptomatic and the numbers are likely much higher, although I would still like to know the official count and how many are in quarantine. We have fully refundable airline and hotel tickets and can also cancel moments before boarding with Platinum insurance.

If numbers are alarmingly high (thinking of Carnival/Princess Ruby) we could switch to last minute intraEuropean flights and land based travels. 

We got lucky with Omicron- I had a very mild case and my husband was only sick for a few days but I don't relish the thought of spending time on a cruise ship sick or in quarantine.

More and more I'm agreeing with those who refer to mask wearing as "theater." KN 94/95s are very protective when worn at all times in indoor settings. But I don't think there are many who are planning to eat their meals in their cabin. 

Laminator- thanks for the suggestion about checking out Dutch Covid numbers. In past European cruises, most of the people onboard with us were American I thought (Azamara and Celebrity).

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, flowery said:

…More and more I'm agreeing with those who refer to mask wearing as "theater."…

I highly doubt “those” referring to mask wearing as “theater” are actual doctors/virologists.

• Like 14