Seabourn no longer doing covid test for passengers returning to US from Vancouver

wesport

Just got a  notice that Seabourn is no longer providing antigen tests for people getting off in Vancouver for their return flight home. Why not provide the test and charge us for the test as a source of revenue. I have a flight at 5:30 pm to Seattle, so I have time, but have to now research and schedule the test. Will have to cancel my Seabourn excursion of Vancouver so I have time to do all this. Added stress not needed, but they say it is circumstances beyond their control HAL has also made the same decision. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wesport said:

Just got a  notice that Seabourn is no longer providing antigen tests for people getting off in Vancouver for their return flight home. . ..Added stress not needed, but they say it is circumstances beyond their control HAL has also made the same decision. 

I may be in the minority here, but I think it would be wise for Seabourn to be making everything as easy as possible for their guests. Continuing to provide testing would be part of that.   After all, there are those of us still sitting on the sidelines because we don't like hassles while on vacation.   I read yesterday that Encore has less than 300 guests right now.  It's not as if all Seabourn aficionados are clamoring to sail.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Partner received notice, I have not for the soon to happen cruise.    Early departure from YVR so not happy.  Maybe fly to Mexico and walk across border.

HAL/Princess will teach anyone left as a SB employee in Seattle how to run a so called luxury line.

Please, just try truth in advertising.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, wesport said:

Just got a  notice that Seabourn is no longer providing antigen tests for people getting off in Vancouver for their return flight home. Why not provide the test and charge us for the test as a source of revenue. I have a flight at 5:30 pm to Seattle, so I have time, but have to now research and schedule the test. Will have to cancel my Seabourn excursion of Vancouver so I have time to do all this. Added stress not needed, but they say it is circumstances beyond their control HAL has also made the same decision. 

I have been seeing this a lot lately with cruise lines, I was just mentioning in another forum that cruise lines should really be helping us more as cruisers providing us with more information or links for testing.

I was so stressed and having a hard time trying to find a testing clinic nearby which makes the experience very stressful overall. But I was so happy when I found a clinic that is actually right next to the cruise ship terminal in Vancouver which is soo convenient!!  It's located in the Vancouver Convention Centre, I booked my test online but I heard that they also accept walk-ins. Here is the link in case it may helpful to anyone: https://covid-medical.ca/covid-19-test-book-online/  Prices are also pretty decent! Hope it helps save some stress and that you can still make it to Seabourn excursion🙂

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, pattycruisealot21 said:

I found a clinic that is actually right next to the cruise ship terminal in Vancouver which is soo convenient!!  It's located in the Vancouver Convention Centre, I booked my test online but I heard that they also accept walk-ins. Here is the link in case it may helpful to anyone: https://covid-medical.ca/covid-19-test-book-online/  Prices are also pretty decent! Hope it helps save some stress and that you can still make it to Seabourn excursion🙂

What a nice service you have provided for those who need testing in Vancouver.  I wonder why Seabourn did not provide this information along with the notice that they will not be testing.  I'm beginning to wonder if they have slimmed down the number of employees and those remaining are swamped with responsibilities and are not able to provide the service Seabourn guests expect.  Just a speculation of course, but I can't think of another reason questions are going unanswered and information is sparse.  It doesn't instill the confidence we need to go ahead and book a cruise.  

• Like 3

I, too, JUST received notice that Seabourn will not be doing on-board COVID tests prior to debarkation in Vancouver - where proof of negative test is required. "Circumstances beyond our control"   

I am 13 days from departure and am NOW being told I will have to arrange for my own COVID test at the Vancouver airport or order some kind of "medically observed at-home antigen test kit."
Both at my expense ($80).

It's not the money that has me upset - it's the fact I have to arrange for the test "on my own."   This is a hassle I do not want and one I certainly didn't expect from a "so-called" luxury cruise line!  I am furious and would absolutely cancel if I could do so without penalty - honestly.  I am THAT angry!    

Perhaps I'd be less critical if I know what the "circumstances beyond our control" were.

As a former Crystal loyalist, looking for a new cruise line to replace Crystal, this is my first experience with Seabourn - - and I am NOT impressed!

Bad Start.jpg

Is nobody on here familiar with proctored self-test kits that are approved by the CDC for travel back to the US from overseas and accepted by airlines and cruise lines for entry and reentry into the US?  They have been discussed extensively on other boards for months and used by many overseas travelers.  In fact, I just used one (eMed Abbott BinaxNow) to fly back to the US from France last month.  It is easy, cheap, and quick, and it's even reimbursable by most if not all insurance.

Edited by sfvoyage
  • Like 1

Check this out from the Seabourn website:

Perhaps they should update their website . . . VERY MISLEADING under the circumstances!

Seabourn Pays.JPG

Edited by Jother
  • Like 1

Airport testing at LIS last month was about $30.   This $80 stuff is a scam on top of a scam.

Finally received SB notification. 

Thanks for the Convention Centre test site.   I wonder if SB will hold my car while the test is completed.

Rhetorical question.

• Like 1

I am also an UNHAPPY recipient of this notice.  Last night I ordered the self tests, and paid extra for expedited shipping because the standard shipping would have them arriving the day before we fly to Vancouver, way too close for comfort.

I have seen conflicting reports about wifi availability on Seabourn.  Is it included now, and will it be reliable enough for proctored tests?

I am another Crystal "refugee" looking for a new favorite cruise line, and I have to say that Seabourn is not off to a great start.

Thank you @pattycruisealot21 for the info about the testing site at the Convention Centre.  It is great to know that is another option.

Edited by SusieQft
  • Like 4

Same here. Really POed.  They are using the excuse events beyond our control.  What events beyond your control.  A 15 minute antigen test is beyond their control.  Pure laziness and cheapness of Seabourn. 

And YES I am familiar with a proctored Covid test.  I have two in my suitcase now since I am in Dubai.  You need internet to do this with video.  Imagine 300 guests trying to do this on the last day of the cruise with a satellite cruise internet.  Impossible.  

There is a test center at the Vancouver Fairmont at the airport. They only have a 3 to 5 guarantee time for a rapid antigen.   The issue for me is an early flight means we have to test the day before.  Time to talk with my TA.  

• Like 3

16 hours ago, MrToblerone said:

Thanks for the info pattycruisealot .I have just booked our RATS test as we fly back to NZ on the day

we arrive 🙂

23 hours ago, SLSD said:

What a nice service you have provided for those who need testing in Vancouver.  I wonder why Seabourn did not provide this information along with the notice that they will not be testing.  I'm beginning to wonder if they have slimmed down the number of employees and those remaining are swamped with responsibilities and are not able to provide the service Seabourn guests expect.  Just a speculation of course, but I can't think of another reason questions are going unanswered and information is sparse.  It doesn't instill the confidence we need to go ahead and book a cruise.  

13 hours ago, SusieQft said:

I am also an UNHAPPY recipient of this notice.  Last night I ordered the self tests, and paid extra for expedited shipping because the standard shipping would have them arriving the day before we fly to Vancouver, way too close for comfort.

I have seen conflicting reports about wifi availability on Seabourn.  Is it included now, and will it be reliable enough for proctored tests?

I am another Crystal "refugee" looking for a new favorite cruise line, and I have to say that Seabourn is not off to a great start.

Thank you @pattycruisealot21 for the info about the testing site at the Convention Centre.  It is great to know that is another option.

Anytime it is my pleasure 🙂  @MrToblerone, @SLSD & @SusieQft
I completely understand  how stressful it is to travel and cruise right now with all of these confusing testing requirements, I too was very nervous, lost and stressed. I had to spend many hours to find something reliable so I am happy to share and save my fellow cruisers the time and headache! Finally I'll be cruising again this year so maybe we'll bump into each other at some cruise! Happy cruising everyone!!

• Like 2

We are booked on HAL and found out the same information. Odd that they will test us before our cruise, due to the land tour we have booked with them, but now don’t offer anything afterwards. When I called them, I was told about the test online, but the internet connection is the biggest problem! We dock at 7 and our flight, bought through HAL, leaves at 12:35. We also bought transportation to the airport through them. I read about the test site at the airport, but don’t know what time to make an appointment. I guess I will become “one of those” who will be bugging HAL for specifics in order to make an appointment. Curiosity question: how long before you know the results of that test? I would happily pay the money on-board to have it done and NOT have the hassle. How can 1500 or so people have this done at the same time! This is our first cruise ever and now I am beyond stressed over this one thing!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, saminina said:

Please......it's Holland America.......not Seabourn.

I realize the decision probably came down from HAL and that HAL owns Seabourn, but I booked Seabourn, not HAL.  I thought Seabourn is supposed to be better than HAL, but maybe I was mistaken about that.

• Like 1

I am getting off Encore tomorrow as are some of my friends and we are flying back to the US so we need a COVID 19 test. I contacted guest services and within minutes someone from the Medical Center was in my suite to test me, at no charge, and I had my result and appropriate form within the hour. My friends had the same experience.

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, SusieQft said:

I realize the decision probably came down from HAL and that HAL owns Seabourn, but I booked Seabourn, not HAL.  I thought Seabourn is supposed to be better than HAL, but maybe I was mistaken about that.

Graph lines are narrowing between the two.

• Like 1

I just read that Princess now has the same policy, but they are associated with HAL under the Carnival umbrella. Celebrity says that guests will be given the opportunity to have a test, but you have to pay the vendor giving the test. Apparently it will be done in port off of the ship. Imagine two or three ships docking on the same day and everyone scrambling for tests! Hopefully they will get this all figured out after a few disasters on disembarking. Had we known this, we would have taken a motor coach to Seattle. You only need a negative test for flying, not for rail or driving. How much sense does that make??.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gray Lady said:

I just read that Princess now has the same policy, but they are associated with HAL under the Carnival umbrella. Celebrity says that guests will be given the opportunity to have a test, but you have to pay the vendor giving the test. Apparently it will be done in port off of the ship. Imagine two or three ships docking on the same day and everyone scrambling for tests! Hopefully they will get this all figured out after a few disasters on disembarking. Had we known this, we would have taken a motor coach to Seattle. You only need a negative test for flying, not for rail or driving. How much sense does that make??.

It is all because of risk.  Once off the ship you are on your own. Guests away around it is to bring a non proctored test onboard test day before and if positive go to ships medical and claim your positive.  They will have quarantine you and take care of the expenses of hotels, food and any airline change fees.  

By the way Seabourn has only changed the process for Alaska and Canada sailings.  Europe sailings still state the test will be done on the ship if needed. 

Then again it’s the CDC and who knows what they will do in June when the Emergency expires. Just flee domestically and the airport lounge was crowded with unmasked people then a flight with 95 percent unmasked. So this testing before a Canada to US flight is really crazy. 

Edited by PaulMCO
  • Like 2

Note that both the Edmonton Oilers and the Toronto Maple Leafs took a creative way around the testing requirement.  Rather than fly from Toronto to Tampa, the Leafs took a bus to Buffalo and flew from there.  And the Oilers flew to Vancouver, took a bus to Seattle and flew to Los Angeles.

https://onemileatatime.com/news/canadian-hockey-teams-dodge-covid-19-testing/

So folks in Vancouver can take the bus to Sea-Tac and fly from there.  No test needed to cross the border by land.

• Like 2

On our last SB cruise pre-pandemic, we disembarked in Vancouver and had a nightmare of a time getting out of the Vancouver airport--and that was before all the flight issues that people are having today.   Driving to Seattle sounds like a great idea to me.  

Morning All and Happy Mother's Day.

My wife and I are literally and figuratively in the same testing boat, as we are on this same LA-Vancouver cruise next week. I had thought that we could get tested while in Seattle, but the testing timeframes don't align. Perhaps, it might be easier, time-wise, to test while we are docked in Victoria the day before departure as that might be within the 24-hour timeframe. Otherwise, like you others on board, we will find something (dockside or at airport (we are also leaving on disembark to fly home to Atlanta).

>> To PattyCruiseALot21, thank you for your info and insight.

Best, jdk

7 hours ago, SLSD said:

On our last SB cruise pre-pandemic, we disembarked in Vancouver and had a nightmare of a time getting out of the Vancouver airport--and that was before all the flight issues that people are having today.   Driving to Seattle sounds like a great idea to me.  

For everyone's info...there is a direct shuttle bus from the Vancouver cruise port to the Seattle airport.  No need to rent a car and drive yourself.

https://quickcoach.com

Plus, air pricing is usually better from SEA than YVR, plus greater schedule options.

• Thanks 1