American Cruise Lines Reviews

I would love to hear about your experiences. The prices seem pretty steep based on our previous cruises but maybe it’s worth it. As an example, we are booked on an 11 night Panama Canal cruise on Celebrity Edge in November ‘22. We’re in an infinite veranda cabin. The total price is $6,100 and includes drinks, gratuities, wi-fi and insurance. That’s about the price for one person on ACL. We have taken more than 20 ocean cruises with RCCL, Celebrity and Carnival. 

A few reasons for the higher cost is that the majority of the ship must have been built in the US (= higher cost to build) and the crew must be paid IAW US labor laws (much higher costs).

All part of the PVSA (Passenger Vessel Services Act)

• Like 4

20 hours ago, klfrodo said:

A few reasons for the higher cost is that the majority of the ship must have been built in the US (= higher cost to build) and the crew must be paid IAW US labor laws (much higher costs).

All part of the PVSA (Passenger Vessel Services Act)

And meet the more stringent (and hence costly) USCG training, certification, and safety regulations.  Also, the smaller ship does not gain the benefits of the economies of scale that larger ships obtain.

Edited by chengkp75

The Edge holds 3000 passengers.  The ACL ships hold maybe 200 - 300 passengers so economy of scale applies.  You have to also consider what a better cruising experience is worth.  In my opinion, almost any small ship will provide a significantly better experience than any of the oversized ships that they are building these days.  I don't consider cruising on a floating amusement park to be a good cruising experience.

DON

Edited by donaldsc
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We sailed our first ACL cruise (Puget Sound) last summer, after 25+ cruises on larger ships (mostly Carnival, but also including QM2). Our ship could accommodate 100, and we had about 70 aboard. It is a very different experience - you won't get tables for 2 in the dining room (our ship had tables for 6) and it's open seating. There's a happy hour before dinner with an open bar, and on our cruise there was also an open bar during the evening. Nightly entertainment was local performers who came aboard at the various port of call. Overall, it's very laid back. We still sail large ships - right now we have two Carnival cruise and a QM2 crossing booked between 2022-23, but we liked ACL well enough to book a New England cruise in 2023.

• Like 1

On 5/6/2022 at 10:14 AM, termin8or13 said:

I would love to hear about your experiences. The prices seem pretty steep based on our previous cruises but maybe it’s worth it. As an example, we are booked on an 11 night Panama Canal cruise on Celebrity Edge in November ‘22. We’re in an infinite veranda cabin. The total price is $6,100 and includes drinks, gratuities, wi-fi and insurance. That’s about the price for one person on ACL. We have taken more than 20 ocean cruises with RCCL, Celebrity and Carnival. 

Howdy @termin8or13 emo22.gif

Thank you for your new thread on the Ask a Cruise Question forum. 👍 It is the forum for general questions regarding cruising. However, your thread is off topic there since your topic concerns a specific cruise line. 

To help you out, your thread has been moved to the American Cruise Lines forum where it will be on topic. The majority of your fellow Cruise Critic members that have sailed or will be sailing American Cruise Lines frequent this forum and provide feedback here. Browse through thread titles here on this forum and l👀k for titles of interest. You will probably find your fellow Cruise Critic members have already posted questions and received answers that will be of interest to you.

Hope this will be helpful and glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic! emo35.gif

Happy sails,

Host Kat emo32.gif

I like both types of cruising small river boats and  huge vessels.   I’m not a drinker or crowd person but find large ships have quiet areas and nice I’m a very early riser. Walking the decks is very calming.  

ACL  is a great way to see the US. Waterways . 

We just completed our second ACL cruise. We enjoyed both. As others have mentioned, the ship is primarily US built, and all the crew are Americans. Cabins are much bigger than what you would get on the bigger ships without having to upgrade. The size is what is nice. I'm not interested in sailing with 3500+ of my not so close friends. Max on both our cruises was 175. Amenities, both food and entertainment, are great. The majority of passengers are a bit older, I'd say 65+. If you like the slower pace, but still want to see some of the USA, these cruises are perfect. As other cruiselines, they went thru a rough patch during covid and were slow to return to normal standards, but I think they have their groove back now. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1