Kmom on Carnival Radiance Semi-Live May 30-June 3, 2022 - FOURTH time on Carnival since resumption of cruising

The ortho told mom what I expected, keep your arm as still as possible, sit around and rest for a few weeks and take this for pain. That's it. 

Our teen guest's mom had trouble getting negative Covid tests uploaded into their VeriFLY app and I think the reason is that said teen is fully vaccinated but not boosted, therefore not "up to date" and they got the test yesterday, i.e. 72 hour window.  They are now going to try to go back and do Walgreens again today, i.e. 48 hour window. We also have BINAX home proctored tests we can do Sunday in LA from our hotel if needed. 

Before going to sleep last night hubby reported the shingles pain is subsiding as promised from taking Valtrex for over 24 hours on a high, 3x per day dose, though his eye area was itchy as there are bumps under his eyebrow and one just to the right of his eye.  Specifically he said what happened the first 36 hours or so, was he would have pain under his skin, then later bumps would appear.

As of yesterday afternoon he had no new pain of that sort anywhere and the first doctor had told him that the antivirals would stop the virus' advance and this seems to be accurate. The bumps he already has seem to be shrinking and we are hopeful this will also prevent them reaching the blister phase.  

The optometrist agreed that this high dose of Valtrex as early as possible after diagnosis is the best treatment available for shingles. Not only can it stop and even reverse the symptoms, it can likewise significantly reduce risk for long term pain and other complications.  As for hubby's eye, the doctor said because there are no bumps or pain on the nose, it is very unlikely the infection can reach the actual eyeball, due to how nerves are laid out in (under?) our faces. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, KmomChicago said:

The ortho told mom what I expected, keep your arm as still as possible, sit around and rest for a few weeks and take this for pain. That's it. 

Our teen guest's mom had trouble getting negative Covid tests uploaded into their VeriFLY app and I think the reason is that said teen is fully vaccinated but not boosted, therefore not "up to date" and they got the test yesterday, i.e. 72 hour window.  They are now going to try to go back and do Walgreens again today, i.e. 48 hour window. We also have BINAX home proctored tests we can do Sunday in LA from our hotel if needed. 

Before going to sleep last night hubby reported the shingles pain is subsiding as promised from taking Valtrex for over 24 hours on a high, 3x per day dose, though his eye area was itchy as there are bumps under his eyebrow and one just to the right of his eye.  Specifically he said what happened the first 36 hours or so, was he would have pain under his skin, then later bumps would appear.

As of yesterday afternoon he had no new pain of that sort anywhere and the first doctor had told him that the antivirals would stop the virus' advance and this seems to be accurate. The bumps he already has seem to be shrinking and we are hopeful this will also prevent them reaching the blister phase.  

The optometrist agreed that this high dose of Valtrex as early as possible after diagnosis is the best treatment available for shingles. Not only can it stop and even reverse the symptoms, it can likewise significantly reduce risk for long term pain and other complications.  As for hubby's eye, the doctor said because there are no bumps or pain on the nose, it is very unlikely the infection can reach the actual eyeball, due to how nerves are laid out in (under?) our faces. 

Sounds like things are getting better. I hope it all continues in that direction.

• Like 3

Teen guest cannot upload their Walgreens test results (negative), probably because they took the test 3 days out rather than 2, and they are fully vaxxed but not boosted so they have a shorter window. Their local Walgreens has no test times available for today or tomorrow, and no Walgreens convenient to us in LA has any Sunday.

We will bring 2 of the Binax home tests with us to LA and try to do it that way on Sunday after the teen arrives to meet us. If all else fails we will show up at the port and have to pay the 3rd party vendor for a test. I am not prebooking that for now but will try to do so Sunday night if necessary.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

Awesome; glad the hardest part is over. Travel day for us; we will be navigating O'Hare around the time you are boarding. 

Here’s to your embarkation being as easy as mine! Relaxing in Serenity 😎275DBD10-0FCD-4728-BBE3-EA8C473C6E86.thumb.jpeg.6748d71926cce4ea603832e128c7a717.jpeg

• Like 11

3 hours ago, Jamman54 said:

Have a great flight! Looking forward to your review of the Radiance and your time in California! :classic_laugh:

Jamman, we are having a good flight, just a few miles shy of Durango, Colorado on American, nice shiny newish Airbus 321. I just watched a documentary about the early history of Sesame Street ❤️❤️❤️.

Just “earned” 20 minutes of free Wi-Fi by watching a short ad. There are outlets for the phones on the seat backs. Also got to do free checking of the carry ons.

• Like 5

Teen guest was able to go redo Covid test and upload.  All four of us are now “Ready to sail” on VeriFLY. 

We had a low key dinner at the hotel from the limited but tasty H Bar menu. We are at Hyatt House at USC medical center. There’s also a Chipotle behind the building. This area is very quiet and probably not for people looking for a walking tour or rousing nightlife but it’s a comfortable brand new location. 

We are in a 1 BR apartment that I booked for points plus cash allowing me to pay roughly half price. Parking is valet only, $40 per night.

The drive from LAX was actually totally fine and just like any other big city on a weekend afternoon. 

Our guest’s train is delayed a bit but we are looking forward to meeting them in just a few hours and then seeing a bit of the city. 

Shingles sores are looking more red and visible but still not blistering. He was uncomfortable on the plane and checked his bag with ibuprofen so couldn’t redose. He says the pain has not gotten worse but comes and goes. 

We are wondering if air pressure on the plane added to the discomfort. 

• Like 6

@cruisin*tigger those seahorses are adorable 🥰 Are you and @KmomChicago saying they’re getting rid of them? Perhaps Carnival would sell you the cute table or the glass panel (?) 

image.jpeg.f5acc25380349ff749ef33a84233b22a.jpeg

I’ve never sailed Carnival but have a Legends cruise to Greenland next summer. I have no idea what to expect in decor, we’re going for the itinerary and to try out sailing from Baltimore (usually the itineraries from Balt don’t interest us … too many sea days and too few port calls for the money).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ColdCruise said:

Perhaps Carnival would sell you the cute table or the glass panel

That would be awesome, but too late now lol.  I took those pics on the last sailing of the Victory, March 2020.  Then she went into drydock to be refurbished as the 'new' Carnival Radiance.  @KmomChicagowill have to see how many seahorses survived the construction once she boards.  😊

• Like 3