London to Sout'n Train Luggage

gkerlin

I'm trying to figure out whether to take a Car Service or the Train from London to Sout'n the day before our Oct 18, 2022 crossing.

We'll either take the train from Waterloo, or a car from our hotel (The Londoner) on Leicester Square.

Not being familiar with the UK trains, and reading that this route is more commuter makes me wonder if it will be luggage friendly.

Our trip would be off hours - departing London around 1130.

The two us us will each have a carry-on sized wheeled case, plus a folded hanging suit bag.  The hanging bag can sit on top of, and strap to, the wheeled carry-on so only one hand is needed to pull it along.

We'll be staying overnight at the Harbor Hotel in Sout'n so would need a cab from the station vs the car service would drop us off at the door.

I'm not worried about the money.   I'm more concerned about dependability.

Logistics are certainly easier with the car service but I don't know who is reputable and can be counted on and who is not.

The train is faster and likely more reliable.

Anyone with experience with either the Southwest Train from London to Sout'n -  or a reputable car service from London have any thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Greg

What day of the week? On a weekday I'd take the train: it is not very luggage friendly, but you'll be OK out of the rush hour. If a weekend, check carefully there are not closures: the network rail website should tell you.

About 8 years since I travelled that route but I don't think rolling stock has changed much. It was fairly modern then. Not the best for luggage space, designed to get maximum bodies in. But you don't describe lots of luggage and the time you state should be reasonably quiet.

There were overhead luggage racks, depends how big the carry-ons are, but you could probably put them on floor under seats too, and I would expect empty seats in that direction at that time.

As everyone else has pointed out, while there is no dedicated luggage space on the train, it's easy enough to find homes for your luggage. We had already been in England about a week before we sailed, so we had fairly large roller suitcases, as well as assorted other paraphernalia we'd accumulated during our visit. Here's a photo of all our stuff, at the hotel as we were leaving for the train...

100_0452.JPG

I did the train journey in February of this year from Waterloo to Southampton Central. As a regular rail commuter in the north of England, this was the first time I had travelled by rail with 2 suitcases and a bag. I was on the 1505 South Western Railways from Waterloo on a Monday and had to travel with both cases on the empty seats across the aisle (the train manager OK’d this when I checked). No luggage space on this particular train, and also none in the other carriages that I walked through. The train was very quiet with very few people travelling that time of day. It was quite apparent that UK trains and stations are not equipped for people travelling with luggage. The rolling stock on regional trains these days is very much geared up towards commuting, which means very little luggage space. I also struggled to find any luggage trollies at Waterloo or Southampton Central. Even the platform staff at both stations didn’t know where any trollies were. Next time I go to and from Southampton to join a ship I will travel by road as it is just too stressful managing luggage by train.

Edited by Altrincham Charter
  • Like 1

Much depends on what ships are in Soton. Years ago, they had a luggage car, but no longer. We only did it once and said never again. There were cases everywhere.

We've travelled every permutation (from Glasgow) and found the best to be travelling overnight on the sleeper to London, then getting collected by South Coast Chauffeurs in an S-Class Merc.

It works out about the same price for two as 2 x taxi rides (one at each end) and 2 x 1st  Class rail tickets.

Remember, at Waterloo there are stairs to negotiate. Going by car means no luggage handling problems. 

You can book advance train tickets for £9 standard class and £15 first class.  Mid day first class should be pretty quiet so reasonably easy to get a seat, with plenty of spare seats to put luggage on if they are too big for the overhead racks.

It might be easiest to get a taxi from your hotel to Waterloo, unless you mind carrying your luggage down a short staircase at Leicester Square - and back up a short staircase at Waterloo.

For anyone not familiar with UK train tickets; an "Advance" ticket is usually only valid on the specific train (time & date) booked, and not refundable. If you use another train they will demand full fare not just an upgrade.

"Super Off Peak" is more flexible (and more expensive) and may still have time restrictions. It wasn't valid between 16:05 and 18:35 on this route on a day that I looked at.

"Anytime" is valid anytime but more expensive again.

20 hours ago, gkerlin said:

I'm trying to figure out whether to take a Car Service or the Train from London to Sout'n the day before our Oct 18, 2022 crossing.

We'll either take the train from Waterloo, or a car from our hotel (The Londoner) on Leicester Square.

Not being familiar with the UK trains, and reading that this route is more commuter makes me wonder if it will be luggage friendly.

Our trip would be off hours - departing London around 1130.

The two us us will each have a carry-on sized wheeled case, plus a folded hanging suit bag.  The hanging bag can sit on top of, and strap to, the wheeled carry-on so only one hand is needed to pull it along.

We'll be staying overnight at the Harbor Hotel in Sout'n so would need a cab from the station vs the car service would drop us off at the door.

I'm not worried about the money.   I'm more concerned about dependability.

Logistics are certainly easier with the car service but I don't know who is reputable and can be counted on and who is not.

The train is faster and likely more reliable.

Anyone with experience with either the Southwest Train from London to Sout'n -  or a reputable car service from London have any thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Greg

Car service, no aggravation no angst, arrive at Hotel stress free.

Understand Smith’s are no longer trading, so consider Majestic, they can also extend the journey with a short tour of one’s choice.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Car service, no aggravation no angst, arrive at Hotel stress free.

Understand Smith’s are no longer trading, so consider Majestic, they can also extend the journey with a short tour of one’s choice.

We used Smith's many years ago when they had "Executive" cars. They increased their commisions as Smith's never owned the cars themselves, then there were payment problems, then they dropped the Executive option.

One of the "Executive" drivers/owners, Alex, set up his own stand alone business. He was our regular Smith's driver, so we went with him. He has been excellent over the years, and we have had friends that also used his services and were delighted. He has S-Class Mercs, but can also arrange 6-seater luxury Vianos if required.

I have no hesitation in recommending South Coast Chauffeurs as a very good value for money option.

• Like 2

If you are not worried about money then I wouldn’t even consider the train with the amount of luggage you have.  Your hotel concierge should be able to arrange a car for you if you don’t want to try the suggestions above.

The trains do not have large spaces for luggage and you would  need a taxi at both ends anyway! Waterloo is quite a confusing station at the best of times!

I’d expect a car to cost around £200 if you have lots of large luggage.  Booking advance train tickets in first class and a taxi at both ends should cost no more than £60.  Waterloo station isn’t too hard to navigate - there are plenty of departure screens, the platforms are clearly signed, and as trains start from there you have plenty of time to board provided you arrive early.

However if you have any mobility issues or would struggle moving all your luggage from the taxi to the train, then a car will be far less stressful, though much more expensive.

As the poster said money is not an issue, then door to door by car any time. Don't even think of train.

Theoretically there is a limit to how many cases per person you can take on train, i know as they enforce this in summer on trains to Cornwall. All you need is a "Jobsworth" of a guard and you are in trouble. 

PS for our American cousins a "Jobsworth" is someone who enforces every petty rule and starts off by saying "it's more than my jobs worth to let you do ....."

Edited by Windsurfboy

This sounds very alarmist. There is no weight limit on SWT, you are allowed up to three pieces of luggage, and all the guards I've encountered in all the years I've lived here have been helpful, though they don't always tend to be visible. Waterloo is not at all a difficult station to navigate. 

Nonetheless, moving a lot of luggage from taxi to train could be quite an effort, I completely agree.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Nonetheless, moving a lot of luggage from taxi to train could be quite an effort, I completely agree.

On re reading the original post they only have a carry-on sized wheeled case, plus a folded hanging suit bag each.  The suit bags would fit in the overhead storage, and the carry on sized cases between the seats, or failing that they could put them on a pair of seats- there should be some spare at the time they are travelling in first class,

• Like 1

Thanks for the helpful replies.  

We'll be traveling on Monday Oct 17th    Our time is flexible but I figured we'd travel mid-day simply because its not commuter times.

I like to take trains in different countries for the "experience" but from what I can glean from researching this route its not anything special so it sounds like the Car Service is the way to go.

Towards that end - some suggestions?

Hire a car from Sout'n to come get me -or one from London?

I see "executive" was mentioned, but when I google that a bunch of "executives" come up.   Are they these people ?

And Majestic comes up with several hits.   Is this the company referred to?

Has anyone used 12 Transfers out of London?  They have a lot of good reviews.

It looks like South Coast has either been bought or changed names.   

They have unpaid bills and now they link to TMR Chauffeurs.

I'm looking for some suggestions on services that people have used.

Thanks again!

I took the sleeper from Scotland the night before a QM2 departure. It was delayed three hours into Londontown because of “leaves on the track”!  Took me 40 minutes to Waterloo on the tube and just made the the 10:40 to Soton.  My shortest visit to London ever and one of my favorite stories. I did have to stand in the vestibule of the train with my roller bag the ride down. All well worth it for this Yank to board the Mary!

I almost always use the 10:35 Fast train from Waterloo to Southampton; I get a 1st class ticket because those carriages halt just where one can detrain, exit the station and the cabstand is right there. The train guards are usually very helpful about placing luggage in between the seats or in the vestibule -not the Duchess of Dingbat's fifteen trunks 😉 but one or two bags are generally OK.